• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

marcelo r. r.

Field Marshal
11 Badges
Mar 26, 2019
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Battle for Bosporus
i made a quick map on paint, so sorry for lazyness and inaccuracies.

Is basically a map with already worked(or re-worked) countries on past DLCs, ofc i painted colonies as the same fo their masters. Also i disclaimer that im a "alternative path" hater, so im here not to discusss gazillions of fantasy stuff related to these countries, but about a big flavour to historical run.

On discussions is noticeable a urge to work on Soviet Union and Italy. I suggest next DLC should be really epic and rework these 2 countries in one big punch, not in a separated DLCs.

But anything related to Soviet Union, affect lots of minor countries: Finland, Poland, Turkey, Iran and middle east in general.

-We need proper northern front(Finland).
-We need a "race to middle east", fixing german oil abudance.
-Italy should stop early joining war, mediterranean front should be relevant, because its open a road to middle east.
-Middle east race: Anglo-Soviet invasion of Iran, Iraq various political issues at that era. German+Italy strategic interest.
-Turkey/Iran geopolitics.

I had no clue about a suggestion for a "proper name" for this hipotetical DLC, but the only thing i think it should be really epic as earthquake.

With la resistence there will be really a lot of western countries reworked, now is time for central(italy) and east get some love.

i have no idea about mechanics that should be introduced, the only thing i remember, is that winter/1941 should be impactful as was in hoi2, currently the german or sovietic player can ignore completely the climate.

hoi4 xpacs.jpg

If I had to take a stab at it

- USSR Centric DLC with Poland, Baltic’s (maybe shared), and either Comintern or Finland
- Italy Centric DLC with lower Balkans and Turkey

After that they are freed to spend more time making the majors’ trees interact with each other, especially in alt-history scenarios.

Other country packs will probably be Nordics, Middle East, and Latin America.

If I had to take a stab at it

- USSR Centric DLC with Poland, Baltic’s (maybe shared), and either Comintern or Finland
- Italy Centric DLC with lower Balkans and Turkey

After that they are freed to spend more time making the majors’ trees interact with each other, especially in alt-history scenarios.

Other country packs will probably be Nordics, Middle East, and Latin America.

i call south america, nordics as "late war flavors DLCs".. i dont put Middle East on same bag, because either Italy or Soviet Union is about a open a road to middle east. by 1942~1945 the middle east start gain more and more strategic importance. South America countries entered in the war near the end, and Nordics was "locked" by Axis til 1945..

Also we can think about a final "neutrals" DLC to deal with neutrals or semi-neutrals that can have a interesting alt-history in the war period: Switzerland, Ireland, Thailand, Afganisthan, a "im in the eye of hurricane crossing fingers" DLC. lolz.

I highly doubt you're getting the Med and the Soviet Union in the same DLC. It'll probably be one centered on the eastern front, and one on the Mediterranean theatre. After that, who knows, hopefully the Nordic countries.

I had no clue about a suggestion for a "proper name" for this hipotetical DLC, but the only thing i think it should be really epic as earthquake.

Is there a thread about a suggestion for the name?

i have no idea about mechanics that should be introduced, the only thing i remember, is that winter/1941 should be impactful as was in hoi2, currently the german or sovietic player can ignore completely the climate.

This is related with and idea to introduce weather forecasting and meteorological intelligence in game-mechanics.

If the theoretical DLC would concern the Soviet Union and the Nordic Countries the name could be something like "The Echos of the Great Northern War" or "The Heirs of the Great Northern War" or "Sensing the Peril - Grasping the Arms".

They said they didn't do the Soviet DLC now because they really wanted to do it justice (IIRC), so I'm guessing it's going to be pretty major. Which means the Nordics will probably not be in it, apart maybe from Finland as there's some obvious overlap there what with the Soviet winter war. Also the Norwegians and Danes fought Germany, not the Russians.

Turkey is another wildcard, I suppose. Could fit both the Italy/Mediterranean DLC and the Soviet Union/Eastern Front DLC.

If the theoretical DLC would concern the Soviet Union and the Nordic Countries the name could be something like "The Echos of the Great Northern War" or "The Heirs of the Great Northern War" or "Sensing the Peril - Grasping the Arms".

those are all really long, think of teh current DLC names they're like slogans, none of them are complete ideas.

the eastern front would be something like "claws of winter" or "patriotic war" (not that i think they'd be those, but they'd sound like those)

more than likely the name would be tied with whatever is being added beyond focus trees, like resistance mechanics and the DLC being la resistance, "together for victory" adding puppets, and "man the guns" being about ships.

those are all really long, think of teh current DLC names they're like slogans, none of them are complete ideas.

the eastern front would be something like "claws of winter" or "patriotic war" (not that i think they'd be those, but they'd sound like those)

more than likely the name would be tied with whatever is being added beyond focus trees, like resistance mechanics and the DLC being la resistance, "together for victory" adding puppets, and "man the guns" being about ships.

Well, you know...they also fought every season - not only clawed by the winter. Patriotic war refers the Soviets only.

I really don't agree with the "Italy and USSR can't be in the same DLC" argument. Italy in a Soviet-themed DLC would fit just as well as Germany did in Waking the Tiger.

If we look at their past roadmap: (I've edited out things that are completed/in La Résistance)

• Improvements to frontline stability
  • A logistics system with more actual player involvement (now you only care once stuff has gone very badly)
  • Long term goals and strategies to guide ai rather than random vs historical focus lists, visible to players
  • Improving peace conferences
  • Update core national focus trees with alt-history paths and more options (Italy, Soviet, Poland)
  • Wunderwaffen projects
  • More differences between sub-ideologies and government forms
  • More National Focus trees. (Among most interesting: South America, Scandinavia, Turkey, Iran, Greece)
  • Make defensive warfare more fun
  • Adding mechanics to limit the size of your standing army, particularly post-war etc
  • Have doctrines more strongly affect division designing to get away from cookie cutter solutions and too ahistorical gamey setups
  • More usage of drag and drop and QoL like this. For example controlling template lists.
  • Rebalance ministers and ideas to give more interesting choices.
I don't see anything "big" on the list for Italy. All the mechanics they need for simulating Italy are already in the game. If they had more developers, Italy could easily have been in La Résistance. I don't see how they could make Italy the central "theme" of an expansion. (a country pack, sure, but not a WtT/MtG/LaR-sized expansion)

Some of the "big" items on the list, logistics and "making defensive warfare fun," scream USSR. So the next DLC could be Soviet-themed with improved logistics and defensive warfare mechanics, designed to better simulate the Winter War and the Eastern Front.

This is all speculation, but plz quote me in the future when I'm proven 100% correct:

The next DLC will have focus trees for the Soviets, Finland, Italy, and Poland.

Well, you know...they also fought every season - not only clawed by the winter. Patriotic war refers the Soviets only.

exactly why i said i don't think they'd be exactly those, just sound like them. you could easily say la resistance only applies to france too, but we're getting a whole spanish civil war rework in it too.

hmm, if it does include italy and USSR, could have something about rome in there, since Russia proclaimed it inheritor of rome for a while. idk.

I really don't agree with the "Italy and USSR can't be in the same DLC" argument. Italy in a Soviet-themed DLC would fit just as well as Germany did in Waking the Tiger.
I don't see how they could make Italy the central "theme" of an expansion.

I think it's less a question of "does it logically fit in" and rather a question of "will their be room for it"
Man the Gun and La Résistance are strikingly similar in the amount of trees fitted in. MtG had 4, of a practically same size, and so does La Résistance (people seem to forget Spain has 2 trees). A Soviet-Themed DLC would be practically forced to settle matters with the surrounding countries. The most raised point is the Winter War, which practically binds the USSR and Finland into a single DLC. And with Finland, all states involved with the winter war or soviet-relationships are likely to be included. The entire Baltic Entente is likely to follow Finland (that includes Estonia, Latvia, Lithuani, and a polish Rework). Also, the Scandinavian states, Sweden in particular, was heavily affected by the Winter war and was, although not officially participating, one of the most important helper to the Finish cause in terms of volunteers and materials.
It's hardly possible for the Baltic, a Polish rework, and Sweden to be in the same DLC as the USSR rework, so it's even more unlikely for Italy to be added in.

Then again, it isn't impossible. But although Italy could hardly be a central theme (unless you want an Ethiopian tree...), the Mediterranean has much to be exploited. Particualy, it's likely for Greece to be included in a DLC with an Italian rework, and with Greece, a Turkish tree shouldn't be too far behind.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Italy in a Soviet DLC (and I would actually be happy, since otherwise the Italian rework still won't be here in 2022) but I (sadly) don't think it's the most likely.

Baltic’s (maybe shared)

I would disagree with that. The political situation was similar in some points between the three Baltic states, true (three authoritarian regims after a coup staged during the late 20s/early 30s, all would be divided by Molotov Ribbentrop between German and Russian spheres, until eventual absorbtion by the Soviet Union). But looking closely, the authoritarian regims valued the nation, and all in different ways. Shared trees worked for the warlords because all wanted to be the One and Only China, I guess. But Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania wanted specifically to affirm themselves, not to trample whoever they would have deemed an imposter.
Add to that the fact that Lituania's relationships with surrounding countries differed from that of Estonia and Latvia greatly. There's actually quite a lot of potential for 3 different and interesting trees, with a similar feel, and not necessarly as huge as the 130~140 focuses trees we have had recently, but different nonetheless.

I think it's less a question of "does it logically fit in" and rather a question of "will their be room for it"
Man the Gun and La Résistance are strikingly similar in the amount of trees fitted in. MtG had 4, of a practically same size, and so does La Résistance (people seem to forget Spain has 2 trees). A Soviet-Themed DLC would be practically forced to settle matters with the surrounding countries. The most raised point is the Winter War, which practically binds the USSR and Finland into a single DLC. And with Finland, all states involved with the winter war or soviet-relationships are likely to be included. The entire Baltic Entente is likely to follow Finland (that includes Estonia, Latvia, Lithuani, and a polish Rework). Also, the Scandinavian states, Sweden in particular, was heavily affected by the Winter war and was, although not officially participating, one of the most important helper to the Finish cause in terms of volunteers and materials.
It's hardly possible for the Baltic, a Polish rework, and Sweden to be in the same DLC as the USSR rework, so it's even more unlikely for Italy to be added in.

Then again, it isn't impossible. But although Italy could hardly be a central theme (unless you want an Ethiopian tree...), the Mediterranean has much to be exploited. Particualy, it's likely for Greece to be included in a DLC with an Italian rework, and with Greece, a Turkish tree shouldn't be too far behind.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Italy in a Soviet DLC (and I would actually be happy, since otherwise the Italian rework still won't be here in 2022) but I (sadly) don't think it's the most likely.

I would disagree with that. The political situation was similar in some points between the three Baltic states, true (three authoritarian regims after a coup staged during the late 20s/early 30s, all would be divided by Molotov Ribbentrop between German and Russian spheres, until eventual absorbtion by the Soviet Union). But looking closely, the authoritarian regims valued the nation, and all in different ways. Shared trees worked for the warlords because all wanted to be the One and Only China, I guess. But Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania wanted specifically to affirm themselves, not to trample whoever they would have deemed an imposter.
Add to that the fact that Lituania's relationships with surrounding countries differed from that of Estonia and Latvia greatly. There's actually quite a lot of potential for 3 different and interesting trees, with a similar feel, and not necessarly as huge as the 130~140 focuses trees we have had recently, but different nonetheless.

I think separate Baltic trees would be nice, and actually kinda optimal, but a Soviet themed DLC would already be pretty large in scope. The devs would have to make a decision whether to include Eastern Europe (Poland and the Baltic’s), Finland and possibly other Nordics, the rest of the Comintern (Mongolia and Tannu If they’re bored), and Iran/Iraq. Obviously they can’t do all of them at once, but the ones/groups they choose will sort of dictate where the dlc will be centered. And leaving out any will probably lead to a flurry of complains of being incomplete. It wouldn’t surprise me if they gimp the Baltic’s out of some content to make space for other trees on top of mechanics reworks

The DLC take around one year and only contain max 4 NF (or 1 very big one and 2 smaller ones).
I think the Soviet Union is the most sensible choice for the next DLC, unless they choose to get in more content creators to push in a country pack in the middle.

Given that the Soviet focus tree will probably be very extensive and they won't keep much from the old , I doubt we will see many countries alongside them. Which means Scandinavia and Finland (back then a Baltic country) is unlikely. Because they wouldn't be able to do all the Scandinavian countries (they could cut Denmark though).
Mechanic wise logistics and defensive warfare are obvious choices, maybe with a rework of the tank designer/tech.

So going from that my prediction is:

- DLC in roughly 1 year: Soviet rework, Poland rework, Baltic focus tree (semi-generic like the warlord tree just more extensive). Defensive warfare, logistics and winter.

-DLC one year after. Itlay, Bulgaria, Greece, Turkey. Not sure about game mechanical changes.

- at one point: Scandinavia DLC, Middle East DLC (Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan, Saudi-Arabia), South America DLC or even DLCs, "Rest DLC" (Belgium, Siam, Nepal, Tibet, Ethiopia).

I highly doubt you're getting the Med and the Soviet Union in the same DLC. It'll probably be one centered on the eastern front, and one on the Mediterranean theatre. After that, who knows, hopefully the Nordic countries.

The invasion of Norway and Denmark months later by the Germans and the Allied plans in that region were largely due directly to the winter war, therefore Finland, Norway and Denmark if they can perfectly come in the Soviet rework .

I do not see any of these rework in Turkey, but rather I see it in their own conjugation with Iraq and Iran in specific Middle East dlc

I believe in future dlc will be these
  • soviet dlc: soviet rework, finland, norway, denmark, small tree Iceland -
  • rework Italy, Austria, Greece, Bulgaria and possibly rework of the Yugoslav tree that could include a small own and shared tree for the Balkan republics of Croatia, Slovenia etc ...
  • Eastern Europe DLC that would come Polish rework, trees from own Baltic states, and unique and shared trees for states of the Soviet republics such as Ukraine, Georgia, Belarus etc ... and Romanian, Hungarian tree revision or both
  • Middle orientation DLC: Turkey, Iran, Iraq, Saudi Arabia and I would like my own tree for British Egypt.
  • Southeast Asian DLC: own trees for the Philippines, Dutch East Indies, Siam, British Malay and possibly French Indonesian and possible revision of the Australian tree or the British raj

I think separate Baltic trees would be nice, and actually kinda optimal, but a Soviet themed DLC would already be pretty large in scope. The devs would have to make a decision whether to include Eastern Europe (Poland and the Baltic’s), Finland and possibly other Nordics, the rest of the Comintern (Mongolia and Tannu If they’re bored), and Iran/Iraq. Obviously they can’t do all of them at once, but the ones/groups they choose will sort of dictate where the dlc will be centered. And leaving out any will probably lead to a flurry of complains of being incomplete. It wouldn’t surprise me if they gimp the Baltic’s out of some content to make space for other trees on top of mechanics reworks

Don't worry, I agree. I just said Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania having a shared tree was very unlikely (but they can share some branches, which would reduce the amount of work necessary for their combined trees a little). However, I agree that if states need to be ignored lest the DLC becomes to big, they'd be the first in line - no matter what you do, they may be very interesting, but they're not the most likely to have a big influence on the war.
Since I'm still convinced Finland and the USSR are tied for the same DLC, it's possible they include Scandinavia aswell (and it's difficult to include just a part of Scandinavia, tho possible). Or, as you said, Iran/Iraq could come in to tie the knot (I'm far more skeptical about Tannu Tuva, but Mongolia is also a possibility I imagine). That would leave the Baltic inside a Polish-centric DLC. But the shadow of a shared USSR/Poland rework DLC which would include Finland and the Baltic seems also possible. In term of quantity, that's similar to MtG (provided the Baltic trees are, indeed, partly shared and smaller than the rest. Otherwise it's more. I've personnally taken the New Zealand tree as a model for my Estonian attempt - though older, it's a good example of not-as-big tree that can give use and identity to a minor nation).

Anyway, time will tell. And by time I guess I mean years. This doesn't bode well for Italy...

Finland (back then a Baltic country)

What?!? Based on which theory exactly? Where do they teach such a nonsense about history or geography? Finland has never been a Baltic Country. Since gaining the independence in 1917 Finland has been a part and a member of geographical and cultural region known as the Nordic Countries. Furthermore, Scandinavia is not the same thing as the Nordic Countries, only Sweden and most of Norway is on the Scandinavian Peninsula. Denmark, Finland and Iceland are not a part of Scandinavia.

What?!? Based on which theory exactly? Where do they teach such a nonsense about history or geography? Finland has never been a Baltic Country. Since gaining the independence in 1917 Finland has been a part and a member of geographical and cultural region known as the Nordic Countries. Furthermore, Scandinavia is not the same thing as the Nordic Countries, only Sweden and most of Norway is on the Scandinavian Peninsula. Denmark, Finland and Iceland are not a part of Scandinavia.

Denmark is part of Scandinavia, even if it’s not on the peninsula.