HOI4 - Development Diary - September 23rd 2016

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Will we continue to have hotfix for AI and maybe for balance or will we have to play with a AI which don't know what to product or how to manage many front?

"Disappointment" might be the word to sum up the feelings expressed in the quote. HoI4 did not arrive fully formed like Athena springing forth from Zeus' skull. This originally disappointed me, too. "What? I paid money to be a beta tester? They should pay ME!"

Instead, HoI4 was birthed as an infant, unable to fully walk or talk. But it contains within it a system to become what we want it to become. Since my initial disappointment, I've come to realize that yes, this is a work in progress.

And the progress comes from all of us gamers. By participating on these forums and sharing our thoughts and especially our suggestions, we shape the game to make it what we want it to be. This is best done through debate and discussion. Insults, whining, and complaints do not help. I take that back. Perhaps complaints might even help, if paired with a suggested solution. The point is, the structure is in place for continuous improvement and growth of the game.

The evidence for this malleable system includes:
  • a sophisticated modding system
  • a polite and responsive developer team (some of the jibes, lamentations, and outright attacks directed at Paradox employees would have provoked unprofessional responses from mere mortals, but overall, the responses written by the Paradox teams have been written with dignity)
  • a system of improvement that revolves around the customers
The future improvements will cost money. This irks many customers. That's understandable. But it costs money to get things done. Paradox employees have to feed their families, pay their rent, and take vacations. The money cycle needs to be there. Without an inflow of money, the advance of improvements won't be as rapid. But there'll still be improvements because of the modding community.

The modders play a very important role in the improvement of the game. Their passion, skills, dedication, and commitment deserve special commendation. They create improvements that many times are adopted into the mainstream game. Well done!

Perfection is an elusive goal. But together, through discussion, debate, and how we vote with our money, the game will get better.
Well said. According to Steam I've played for 839 hours. Despite the games issues it is a great value for the money. You can't take a family of four to the movies and buy popcorn for the price of this game. And it will only get better.

Reactions:
Well said. According to Steam I've played for 839 hours. Despite the games issues it is a great value for the money. You can't take a family of four to the movies and buy popcorn for the price of this game. And it will only get better.

In fact, if you had a family of four before you bought this game and played 839 hours since release, you could guarantee you would never need to buy tickets and pop corn ever again!!! ;)

Reactions:
In fact, if you had a family of four before you bought this game and played 839 hours since release, you could guarantee you would never need to buy tickets and pop corn ever again!!! ;)
My daughter has long since flown out of the nest, and my wife hates going to the movie theater. :) Besides I think that Steam exaggerates!

i for one and fully in favour of supporting this dev team through everything, they are great people from what i have seen so far willing to give proper thoughtful answers and take on board any and all advise.

i am so very excited for the next big patch that focuses on the pacific and hope with all my heart that Manchukuo will be in that patch (oh boy oh boy paradox)
I vant to form le Qing Dynasty haha

Exciting times ahead! and with a dev team as hard working and responsive as this i can only see a bright future ahead! Thank you paradox!

Reactions:
They have to release a DLC because the player stats are going down.
Even EU IV are playing more players. And this game is much more older.

But I am a little bit sceptical because of the lousy AI. All will fall and stand with it for the next couple of years.
Only 12% are playing MP so the AI is very important because 88% are playing against the AI.

I am agog about the next Patch 1.3 called Torch. Massive AI improvments and I will maybe buy the DLC. Otherwise this game is dead for me. Sadly bacause I like the new game machanics but the horrible AI is for me personally a no go.

Reactions:
because the player stats are going down.

If possible, please demonstrate that player stats are going down. It is an interesting hypothesis. And you could be right. Just wondering if you have access to player use data.

If possible, please demonstrate that player stats are going down. It is an interesting hypothesis. And you could be right. Just wondering if you have access to player use data.

good question - looking at steamdb info the current stats are as follows but i don't know what the trends are

Players online HOI4
  • 5,712right now
  • 7,83624h peak

EDIT : not surprising i suppose as EU4 has 3 times as many owners
Players online EU4
  • 7,845right now
  • 11,62024h peak

Reactions:
If possible, please demonstrate that player stats are going down. It is an interesting hypothesis.

Hi it's easy with the page from steam itself. I am little stats nerd and in the end of august for example the stats were over 10'000 per day. Now it's only 7'800. And so it will going down until u will release a new DLC.
At release it was many times over if i am not wrong. Don't have the numbers on this PC, it's anywhere on my external HDD.

They need new content and they need to push up the AI. Very difficult if u ask me. I hope they have enough manpower to do both.

@Doctoxic

But EU IV was released on 13. Aug. 2013. It's three years old, remember that. HO IV was released in june this year.

Reactions:
+ The game needs extra filters by type:
in the add new production line window. (show only upgraded with exp units)
in the add planes to airfield window. (show only fighters/show only tac/show only cas/show only strat/show only carrier/show only newest planes)

+ ability to draw border and offensive lines across multiple countries even if not in war.