HOI4 - Development Diary - September 23rd 2016

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Do report a bug with these with savegames and we can add checks, but you have to realize that to get any historical game AI must be forced to make stupid choices also or germany would never start ww2 and japan would never attack china or USA.
I think we want historical game, but when AI is in trouble and when war is going bad for him it would be ok for me if it would stop with new wars and fronts and would prioritize in defending his own country and winning wars that is already started. So for me it is ok if Allies are in Europe and Germany therefore would not start war against USSR. Or if Germany didn't control Brussels Italy would not join the war and so on. We want history, but with some logic depending on war situation.
I don't think that even Hitler would start Barbarossa if he would not kicked allies from European continent. And I don't think that Mussolini would join the party if Germany wouldn't achieve such success in war.

Reactions:
Really, no patch before Christmas? 1.2 was very disappointing in regards to the AI. Please at least release an AI patch before you start to churn out the DLC's.

Reactions:
*Just joking, totally appreciate that more people get excited by tanks than ships and planes, so this is a very sensible choice :).

there is a very good reason for that actually in the Grand Plan. Stuff that needs to be in to make future improvements possible. You'll understand when we show it next year for next expansion.

Axe is right, no doubt -- Everyone wants to be able to have (or see) a good set-to between Germany and the USSR. But honestly those of us with VERY long memories of the game have been waiting years for the naval aspects to be rendered properly and it's just a little discouraging to hear that we're going to have to wait for at least another year, judging by the rate these dlc's come out. I honestly do believe that the design of naval warfare is basically sound, but right now the actual performance is not all that good. There's still not real U-Boat war, etc.

oh well, soldier on! :)

Reactions:
Do report a bug with these with savegames and we can add checks, but you have to realize that to get any historical game AI must be forced to make stupid choices also or germany would never start ww2 and japan would never attack china or USA.
I totally understand the need for the AI to do things that are least partially dumb. The main concerns are things like Germany starting Barbarossa despite having not defeated France or what I saw last night Russia declaring on Iraq and Iran despite losing on the eastern front, deploying 200 divisions there and then losing the war completely (I have a save for this, will upload tonight)

Reactions:
I'm a little skeptical in all honesty. I thought we would at least get another major patch before we moved onto expansion packs.

Although not sure how well 1.2 plays as I was only able to play half a game before my SSD died on me.

But from what I seen on the forums it seems like HOI4 could us a little more work.

I also hope that the next patch/expansion pack will also help the axis as they have a hard time working together, and are also week at times. But that might be due to poor ai at times. Kinda hard to balance it with the AI not all there.

Also wished for some improvements for air warfare.

I seriously hope this goes well as we're going to have to wait another 3-4 months for another patch..... but I can't even play right now anyways...¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reactions:
I'm a little skeptical in all honesty. I thought we would at least get another major patch before we moved onto expansion packs.

Although not sure how well 1.2 plays as I was only able to play half a game before my SSD died on me.

But from what I seen on the forums it seems like HOI4 could us a little more work.

I also hope that the next patch/expansion pack will also help the axis as they have a hard time working together, and are also week at times. But that might be due to poor ai at times. Kinda hard to balance it with the AI not all there.

Also wished for some improvements for air warfare.

I seriously hope this goes well as we're going to have to wait another 3-4 months for another patch..... but I can't even play right now anyways...¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I'm sure there will be a couple of mini-patches and hotfixes from now and between Christmas. They are still as crucial as major patches.

Reactions:
I'm sure there will be a couple of mini-patches and hotfixes from now and between Christmas. They are still as crucial as major patches.

we can all hope - but the dev diaries never seem to even acknowledge/recognise all the things that need putting right - just the need to move on to paid DLC

not sure about this point but is this the only paradox game that has not responded to Arumba improvement videos??

multiplayer is probably more popular because of the bad state of the single player game (all my games after the initial release have been mods)

mods are probably very popular because of the bad state of the single player game

also i've seen one youtuber go back to hoi3!!!

and no, i haven't moved past the anger stage yet at such a sloppy release - which is remarkable considering the big delays in releasing the game

on a more positive note the people working on the mods have shown a real love and passion for the game - a big thanks to all of you

rant over, back to lurking

Reactions:
Nice to hear some details about the upcoming expansion and patch!

I was wondering (and hopefully Podcat is willing to answer) will with the next commonwealth/allies expansion lend-lease be active for the AI? Currently it seems that the AI cannot do lend lease agreements. It could really beef up some of the countries that lack production capacity if big powers like Germany, the USSR or the USA is willing to send some equipment.

Sadly we have no metrics from back then I think. at least not ones I can read. MP play metrics on EU4 atm is about the same as HOI4.

You might be incredibly unlucky, but I see japan win in more than half my test games (being conservative here, its probably more around 70% tbh). I see germany beat soviets in roughly 50% of games and I havent seen them struggle before attacking soviets in weeks.
Are you basing this on the 1.2.1 patch?

I haven´t been able to see Japan beat China in any of my game since the 1.2 patch they always loose Manchuria and it all goes under after that, haven´t test it on the 1.2.1 though. ;)

Ive been heavily critical of the game thus far, and will continue to be so, but man am I looking forward to the future. The DLC plan looks solid af.

Reactions:
we can all hope - but the dev diaries never seem to even acknowledge/recognise all the things that need putting right
I'm always bemused by rants like this. DDs, and for that matter the dev posts, have talked about AI changes, user interface changes, the air war, balance -- most critical issues are being talked about. Which problems do you feel they are not addressing? Serious question.

also i've seen one youtuber go back to hoi3!!!
Oh no. Anything but that.

Reactions:
I see germany beat soviets in roughly 50% of games and I havent seen them struggle before attacking soviets in weeks.
Out of curiosity, in those games where the Soviets lost, were they able to finish the focus to move industry to the Urals? Because from what I've seen, Germany usually is pretty good at grabbing one of the three provinces that the focus needs before they can finish it, and that cancels the focus if it is going, and locks the Soviets out of the focus that grants the free emergency forts around Moscow, making them even easier to beat.

Reactions: