HOI4 - Development Diary - October 5th 2016

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I understand that there wasn't much work on the game during the summer holidays but please get some pace now. Two weeks without anything on the dev diaries is just frustrating.

You created a game with a huge potential, but it definitely needs some more work. Don't loose the momentum and parts of the community now by slowing down. Speaking for myself ,it could be something "easy" like a new national focus tree or achievements. But make us curious again!

Reactions:
Hello. Can u make that case of civil war in soviet and russia could be russia have own national focus tree and examples some real leader from history like Wrangel to fasist,Denikin to non-alligned,tried load u some images with colour but it failed.

Since you mentioned the expansions podcat I was wondering if it will work similar to the EU 4 expansions in that even if players do not own the DLC, if I host with the DLC purchased, they can play a hosted game with me with the DLC?.

My friends are poor :(

Since you mentioned the expansions podcat I was wondering if it will work similar to the EU 4 expansions in that even if players do not own the DLC, if I host with the DLC purchased, they can play a hosted game with me with the DLC?.

My friends are poor :(
That is my understanding of how they have said it will work. I don't remember where they said to link to it. If I am wrong someone please correct me.

Reactions:
I miss Hoi2, that was my intro to the series and the game that I played the most for a long time. Now that has long since been passed by EU4, but I was hoping to make Hoi4 my most played game. However, the game simply isn't engaging enough at the moment. It doesn't grab me like Hoi2 did, which is a shame because this is my favorite period in history.

Reactions:
OK, so you want to draw a sharp distinction between events and choices that are "in the game" and events and choices that are "not in the game". I can see that this could work, as long as the pre-set "flavour" events merely give reason for other in-game assumptions. Having the Hindenberg crash, for example, explains why military and cargo airships are not a thing in the game; making them (at least for cargo) if the crash doesn't happen would be plausible but not essential - a near miss might be scare enough to have the same effect. But where do you stop with this being able to constrain the player's decisions?

There were (two) women aces; they flew for the USSR (see here and here).
In Britain, where unlike Earhart Amy Johnson had survived the '30s, women* flew combat aircraft more or less throughout the UK involvement in the war** - they flew aircraft delivery missions in combat zones but not combat missions. (*: Including 27 female American volunteers; **: From January 1940).
The US, somewhat belatedly, formed the WASPs which were, unlike in the UK version, actually trained as AAF pilots. A House bill to militarise the WASPs was narrowly defeated in June 1944.
In Germany, in many ways a bastion of male martial monopoly, women flew as test pilots, one of the most hazardous jobs of all!

Had Earhart survived what was to be her last flight, I can well see her seeking out opportunities to fly in combat and show that women had value in that role - and I am sure that, had she done so, she would have proved her point. Social protectionism was broken down in many areas due to the exigencies of a global and existential war; the idea that the monopoly on combat flying for men could not have been broken outside of the Soviet Union is mere historical determinism. If a few events had gone differently - perhaps including Earhart completing her record-breaking flight - then that taboo, too, might have been toppled.
There was even a whole regiment of female Soviet pilots (do people even listen to Sabaton's soundtrack:p).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_Witches

There was even a whole regiment of female Soviet pilots (do people even listen to Sabaton's soundtrack:p).
There were more than that, actually - at least three regiments had women pilots. The Night Witches themselves were a bombing squadron, however, and thus had no "aces", as such. The accepted qualification for the title "ace" was to have shot down five enemy planes - and shooting down enemy planes is not the job of bombers. The two female aces were thus members of the 586th regiment, who flew Yak-1 fighters. (The Night Witches were the 588th regiment).

Given that bomber "aces" are gained in HoI IV, I think it's safe to say that the HoI definition of "ace" is not that used in history - which makes the existence of females who were what would be called "aces" in HoI IV even more likely, given that 23 of the Night Witches were awarded the title Hero of the Soviet Union.

Reactions:
There were more than that, actually - at least three regiments had women pilots. The Night Witches themselves were a bombing squadron, however, and thus had no "aces", as such.

I'm fairly sure at one stage they were flying Po-2's - if any of them had managed to down five enemy aircraft in one of them they'd deserve to be called so much more than an ace!

I'm fairly sure at one stage they were flying Po-2's - if any of them had managed to down five enemy aircraft in one of them they'd deserve to be called so much more than an ace!

They were flying the U-2LND model throughout the war. They were redesignated Po-2s in 1944 after Polikarpov died. Damn biplanes with a go-cart engine, the Germans hated them.

Reactions:
I think it would be better to scale buildtimes of infrastructure by terrain type.

I mean nothing prevents you from running a highway or a arrow straight high speed rail line straight through a mountain chain in reality. It's just going to be 10 times more expensive and time consuming then to do it across plains.

The issue here is that infrastructure is tracked per area, while terrain is tracked per province, so you would need some kind of averaged terrain cost modifier.

I like this, more code to implement but it would be nice.

I think it would be better to scale buildtimes of infrastructure by terrain type.

I mean nothing prevents you from running a highway or a arrow straight high speed rail line straight through a mountain chain in reality. It's just going to be 10 times more expensive and time consuming then to do it across plains.

The issue here is that infrastructure is tracked per area, while terrain is tracked per province, so you would need some kind of averaged terrain cost modifier.
Might be simpler to just do it by state type in that case. it mostly coincides with terrain average

Reactions:
Might be simpler to just do it by state type in that case. it mostly coincides with terrain average

There are some noticeable exceptions to that however in areas with very little population, mainly the steppes of Inner Asia/Russia, Australia and USA which are low state types but still mostly plains.

Although I guess you could make the argument that lack of local population to recruit a workforce from or support a workforce moved to the area does make it more tricky to build infrastructure as well just as it limits other buildings, so it doesn't have to be a bad idea.

Reactions:
Just make infrastructure based on a province-by-province again... I am not a fan of it being "state-by-state" - could just as well have it as "country-by-country" then.
It depends heavily on the size and designation of the states - I think some in vanilla are too large, which is why I made a mod to change them - but overall I really don't see the issue. I think of the states in HoI4 as HoI2 provinces, with each divided into several "sub-provinces" for the purposes of more discrete terrain designation and battle representation. "State" sized provinces were fine in HoI2 with unitary infrastructure and buildings, so I don't have a problem with them in HoI4 either.

Reactions:
I agree with those who say that the battle planner doesn't really work well.
It is good idea on paper, but the implementation still needs some work, because it indeed makes the campaigns into long grind. I don't think I ever saw campaign, that behaved anywhere close to historical development. The best I got was Germany doing decently until Barbarossa, where they front-wide pushes didn't manage to make a single dent into Russian defense

Reactions:
Well, I will say this, HOI2 still has a the most beautiful UI, man is that slick. No eye-bleeding colors, nice fonts, simple and wonderful.

I'm still not completely sold on the HOI4 supply system to be honest, especially when I see the kind of division spam that should be curbed by the supply limits of a country. I had forgotten how convenient TC was. I basically forgot how much I missed HOI2. Thanks a lot Podcat!
Well my preference is clearly different. I find UI to be bit straining for eyes in HOI1 and 2 and Darkest Hour, pretty decent in HOI3 and very easy on the eyes in HOI4.
No idea why i find it so straining for eyes to look at pre HOI3 UI. What i am used to is one thing, and it may not scale well for bigger modern day monitor sizes and resolutions, dunno if ther is something else.
I wish every game would have built in UI customisation. Would love to make everything in UI bigger in CK2 and EU4.

Hi,

sorry but I should say that I fully disagree.
HOI IV is a huge fall back if it could be named like that. Actually I personnaly dislike this game. I went from HOI II to HOI III without a single issue because it was an improvement. Here it'a pure arcade game. Which i fully regret because they are some very good ideas:
I lke:
The material production system and division builder.
the battle plan very good and the improvement goes in the right direction still the bonuses are far too high.
The airplanes could potentially be a good idea but it is not clear.

On the things I hate:
On the top: the map it abslutely unclear from a strategical point of view. too many information wrongly presented. And to much funny icture instead of a clear view of the infrastructure. Giving the the possibility to merge maps (CTRL maps) would have been a far better idea.
The provinsce structure. This grouping of provinces is ablsolutely unclear and create only mess.
The removal of the supply. As you say HOI III was the best system ever developped. There where bugs that could heve been sort out with a depot (300 per level) or a logistic brigade (up to 100) that would have called supply to a province and then supplied the unit farther from this depot. By enabling the player to move those depots or build them on the map and the activate them the system would have been fully mastered and the presence of depot would have been an indication of future offensive + made logistical strike really juicy on those places.
-The removal of the command tree which was very good in HOI III and that I really do not like in HOI IV I do ave the impression to make big bags and never understood the usage of the generals. On the contrary I would have hoped to get real HQ division increasing logistical artillery efficiency, training efficiency. (For instance a HQ with a special bataillon doouble the efficiency of the division support bataillon attached to it. (Ie hospital efficiency *2. +50% if army HQ also exists.) One funny thing would have been a brigade of reinforced headquarter allowing to have 6 divisions under the HQ instead of 5, radio bataillon increasing HQ radio range.
-The removal of inventory imposing to micro manage ressources permanently one massive fall back Vs HOI III.
-The R&D: One of the worst i had the impression to be back to HOI II. My wish would have been to have:
  • A non reliable R&D: That for developpment a random factor comes to say how much percentage of the level you get (Between 80 and 110 percent) R&D is far to reliable in HOI in general reality is not like that.
  • The possiblity to manage one's R&D: For instance for a tank you get the possibility to developp a tank per tonnage from 1-100 and to prioritize (Speed, armor, firepower, production simplicity relaibility.) that would create a target on the R&D toward what the opponent made instead of everybody developping exactly the same average tanks in the same year. (I know you did that with the office but it is absolutely not flexible enough on my personnal opinion
  • The base tech tree should be for me: Explosive, steel, motors, mecanics (around 50 steps with a costs increase for each level offset by a costs decrease according to how long you had the previous one and the number of country that already have this level or world production with this level) and then the player choose when he wants to start a new machine
Production:
  • Obsolete are only obsolete. It would be great to have the possibility to convert into another machine (Ie light tank 39 into tank destroyer or artillery) on the best it would be good to be able for instance that wether you do have a line producing the full tank or there is a line producing AT guns, one producing motors and they are used to be converted in tanks at a far lower costs. (Ex old fighters could be converted in SAR, or Bomber in transport as done in the reality.)
  • Production line: It would be good that the player can choose to produce a pecific tooling set: For instance a tank, or a gun or a motor the tooling set would made productivity increase of the line higher and would increase the maximum possible output of the line. For instance england with motor XII and mecanics XVI would developp a merlin that would stay into production until they invest in a new motor.
The privinces naval and air, far to big I regret the air plane management system the game would have been better with an HQ giving the orders to several squadrons to define a mission area and also factor to commit: Do not atack unless more than 50% 80% 100% 150% of ennemy airplanes (Per type).
For instance a bombing order would be:
  • Bombard Area X unitil 100Km from it.
  • Fighter do not attack before 100% of ennemy fighters
  • Bomber do not attack before 1000% of ennemy fighters.
So let's say that despite all efforts done on the game it remains far from my expectations. I bought the game beacause I was under a very good impression from HOI III and I know paradox works hard to improve it's games but for the time being I am under the impression that the developpment strategy was to remove all things not running well and make the game more easier for a broader public.