HOI4 - Development Diary - October 12th 2016

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I'm guessing the issue @Lifthrasil is referring to is when you have multiple adjacent frontlines, and they overlap or do other funky things. For example, if I have a front with three 24-division armies with equal frontage each over 30 provinces, say, it's not unheard of two end up with two of those armies to take up all of the frontage bar one province, with the third army's front being squashed down to one province.

This, to me, is the lesser of two evils, as I find if those three armies fronts start to overlap such that all three fronts cover the same 30 provinces after a little while, is more frustrating, as the troops are a mixed-up mess between the armies.

Both are solvable with lots of repetitive battlefront micro, so it's not as if they're not manageable, but it looks like the Spearhead/Blitz feature will make those kind of situations far more enjoyable, and I can't imagine given the general anti-micro (UI lack of notifications leading to map micro aside) approach to design that the battlefront micro if taking that approach to the game is the devs goal.

Or I could be wrong - apologies if I am Lifthrasil.

You are not wrong, it is only part of what I meant. A big problem is, that if I have a starting frontline of X provinces, and a designated target frontline of X provinces, my soldiers still widen the front and I end up with a frontline of Y provinces (Y>X). Part of the "problem" is, that the KI tries to cover its flanks by widening the front, which is in principle a good move. But it just makes outomated spearheads completely impossible (without microing them).

Reactions:
You are not wrong, it is only part of what I meant. A big problem is, that if I have a starting frontline of X provinces, and a designated target frontline of X provinces, my soldiers still widen the front and I end up with a frontline of Y provinces (Y>X). Part of the "problem" is, that the KI tries to cover its flanks by widening the front, which is in principle a good move. But it just makes outomated spearheads completely impossible (without microing them).

Oh aye, I feel your pain. I like to use the battleplanner, and at the moment it involves a lot of tweaking (well, when playing a major - in my current game with Denmark, it's less of an issue, lol).

Well, spearhead isn't much of a spearhead. I'd expect tanks going into battle first and motorised infantry following them to prevent cut off. I think they should prioritise breakthrough, divisions with highest breakthrough value should go into battle first regardless their speed. Sometimes it does the opposite. It would make this plan some sort of unique.

Reactions: