HOI4 - Development Diary - October 12th 2016

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
What happens when you apply more units than the garrison suggests? Will it space them out evenly? Will they clump up as they do now? Will the be prioritized across VPs, Ports, areas near ports, etc?

It will try to cover what it can based on priority. Aside from that there have been some improvements done to how it balances units over all, which is of course included in the free update.

Reactions:
Question: What exactly is the difference between the Blitz command and simply selecting a number of divisions at the front and manually telling them to b-line a specific province? Wouldnt that basicly end up with the same result? Just curious.

The end result would be more or less the same, but since they would not be helping out through support attacks in combats as they go along, you would likely end up taking more damage if you just give a bunch of move orders and leave them alone.

Reactions:
What are those new icons on the theatre shields? Is that number of fronts, normal (shield) and blitz (sword)? Now that you leaked it, we expect some comment :D

future secrets to be revealed :)

What happens when you apply more units than the garrison suggests? Will it space them out evenly? Will they clump up as they do now? Will the be prioritized across VPs, Ports, areas near ports, etc?

There is still an inherent priority here, so it will spread things out. We have improved the way the spreading works quite a bit too so should feel more natural.

Question: What exactly is the difference between the Blitz command and simply selecting a number of divisions at the front and manually telling them to b-line a specific province? Wouldnt that basicly end up with the same result? Just curious.

There isnt really a difference. This is a way of doing it easier using the plan for people who like plans. microing multiple pincers in MP is also difficult at speed. (Emu:ed by Carl, yeah it does automatically support attack which you'd need to do manually also)

Reactions:
people creating pockets with manual control was EXACTLY what paradox stated was their mission to avoid, they said they wanted to remove the micro and make it more about making decisions at the strategic level, not microing every battle. So you can't say "hah, this feature was already in, and now you expect it to be free? you must want ALL new content to be free don't you???"
We didnt say we wanted to remove all micro though as people do enjoy it to a point. As an example a lot of people here at pds play with armor division using micro or limited plans with infantry pushing. This is a middle point where some people may feel the cant micro a certain amount of divisions (because to be honest if you have only 2 armor divisions you will be microing them no matter what), but you dont have so many divisions that it all becomes statistics and huge fronts bleeding.

The blitz feature just sounds like an adjustment to a flaw in the game mechanics, not a bonus feature worthy of dl c.

Not true, if you read SteelVolt's reply earlier, they do have pretty different goals from normal controls which need to handle a lot of situations automatically

Reactions:
There isnt really a difference. This is a way of doing it easier using the plan for people who like plans. microing multiple pincers in MP is also difficult at speed. (Emu:ed by Carl, yeah it does automatically support attack which you'd need to do manually also)

So this is a quality of life improvement rather than a new feature? Wasn't Paradox policy so far to keep those as part of patches rather than DLC? Like UI improvements? :(

Reactions:
So this is a quality of life improvement rather than a new feature? Wasn't Paradox policy so far to keep those as part of patches rather than DLC? Like UI improvements? :(
This isnt a GUI improvement, this is a different way of playing with parts of plans though. This is generally how we have done in past DLCs so its nothing new.

Reactions:
Please reconsider the map marker of the blitz command. It can already be a big mess when there are 4 or 5 plans (possibly with multiple stages) in the same area. The blitz command looks just like 2 overlapping normal attack plans.

Reactions:
I'm going to start screen capping posts that i'm seeing, because i'm about 90% sure there are posts going missing. trying to cover up the negative reaction perhaps?

Angst for angst sake is not all that helpful. I usually speed right on by posts like this to get to the posts that matter. I think I would read these more if they offered constructive advice or thoughts.

Reactions:
I'm going to start screen capping posts that i'm seeing, because i'm about 90% sure there are posts going missing. trying to cover up the negative reaction perhaps?

Correct, my post went poof

Really? I've been very critical so far and my posts all appear to be there. Unless they are hiding my posts from everyone but me <tin foil hat>.

Reactions:
Ok so people are guessing that the Sword and Shield icons are how many attack and defensive battles that army have.

I guess that the pink notepad is to click for some kind of report, and more information would be very nice.

Thanks for this DD, I want the Blitz command, Garrison, and new icons now :D

Reactions:
@podcat

Could you throw together (at a latter time of course) a video DD that shows how to use the new features. It would probably be best to show them off altogether, just before release.

Thanks

Reactions:
To be honest, im suprised a DLC is coming out so early. I mean, theres bug fixing to do like optimization. You cant even go past 1942 without it looking like a slideshow

Really? I've been very critical so far and my posts all appear to be there. Unless they are hiding my posts from everyone but me <tin foil hat>.
I said it should be a free feature not a paid DLC.. Simpley because its a small feature that makes blitz'ing easier. In HOI 3 it was a mode, Defense, Withdraw, Attack and Blitz.

Reactions:
This isnt a GUI improvement, this is a different way of playing with parts of plans though. This is generally how we have done in past DLCs so its nothing new.
I've been proposing this exact addition to battleplan options since the first week after release - if the result of the feature is the same as manually adjusting the front width with every step, which is tiring and hard to pull opf in MP as you've admitted, I must respectfully disagree that this is indeed a new thing. It will surely improve an existing thing, which is perfect, and I love it. Heck, I'm 90% sure I'd buy the DLC anyway, since I've loved your games for years!

But I've always admired you guys for the fairness of your DLC model. I implore you to reconsider, even though I'm sure this was discussed at length and agreed upon internally before posting so there's a slim chance it'd change. It's, in my eyes, a thing that makes the use of an existing feature easier in what it intended to do (and can be done, through tedious micro) - not a new way of using the battleplaner.

Of course, we know only a tiny slice of the DLC so far - is there anything more in plans that will make us see Blitz as part of a general change and understand this decision more?

Reactions:

Although i tend to agree with the PDS rationale for DLCs most of the time, in this case it really looks like you're patching the battleplans (which are quite frustrating to use precisely because they don't do exactly what you say: if you draw an arrow on a map you expect your units to follow the arrow, not to take everything around the arrow.).

The original pitch for battleplans in my mind was to be able to, among other things, coordinate maneuveurs like pincer attacks which would have manually required a lot more micro. Because the feature was in the end optimized to handle frontlines rather than vectors of attack, stuff like encirclements and pincer attacks became really hard to do using BPs, so we ultimately had to use micro rather than BPs for those.

Selling this new feature as "hey you'll be able to do stuff like pincer attacks now" sounds a bit tone-deaf to me because that's what BPs were supposed to allow you to do all along in the mind of pretty much everyone.

Reactions: