HOI4 - Development Diary - October 12th 2016

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Finally something interesting in the DD, however …

Paid Feature: Blitz Command

… I would rather read something about

Paid Feature: Messages Settings!’

(as it seems only some more money would convince you to do this obvious move… Am I wrong?)

Reactions:
What are those new icons on the theatre shields? Is that number of fronts, normal (shield) and blitz (sword)? Now that you leaked it, we expect some comment :D
The last 2 appear to be the numbers of battles in the theater; shield = you are defending, sword= you are attacking...I assume the colours are green = you are winning, red = you are loosing.

On a side note I hope the next patch allows us to reroute our convoys, currently they are game breaking.

Reactions:
It is not. It is in fact even more interesting than that, but I will leave that alone until Podcat gives it a proper DD ;)
You can see in the second Picture, that there are 4 Attacks by the opponents going on. 4 Defensive battles. And the shield Shows the number "4". Maybe the colour green indicates, that you are actually winning.

Reactions:
I foresee a vigorous discussion about blitz command being a paid feature.
I expect this too. As a Field Marshal edition owner it doesn't really concern me, but this is a kind of feature I would expect to go into to the base game.

That said: how does the AI handle this? Is it able to utilize this command? And will it behave different with or without the expansion?

Reactions:
What happens when you do not have the minimum number of divisions to give a garrison order? Can you just not give the order, or will the divisions move from province to province guarding the intended targets intermittently as if on guard duty? I think the later would be nice.

Reactions:
People from the reveal of battleplans asked time and time and time and time again to see battleplans used for encirclements and not just general pushes in world war wednesdays. People expected this kind of thing to be right from the start. It was always ignored and WWW was always "spam infantry, draw red line, hit go!"

Now its revealed to be a paid feature in the first DLC. Wow. scumbag move if i ever saw one. Community was vocal about it before release and now we have to pay for it.

Reactions:
The last 2 appear to be the numbers of battles in the theater; shield = you are defending, sword= you are attacking...I assume the colours are green = you are winning, red = you are loosing.
I can neither confirm nor deny this.

On a side note I hope the next patch allows us to reroute our convoys, currently they are game breaking.
Not looking like it, sorry. (though I agree that would be a nice feature.)

Reactions:
I expect this too. As a Field Marshal edition owner it doesn't really concern me, but this is a kind of feature I would expect to go into to the base game.

That said: how does the AI handle this? Is it able to utilize this command? And will it behave different with or without the expansion?

The intention is that it will be able to do this, though it is still a work in progress. While I would prefer the AI to play the game as much on the players terms as possible (and NOT use the blitz if the player is not capable of doing so), it may not be up to me, and it may turn out that is is a significant enough improvement to be desirable regardless of if the player can use it or not.

Reactions:
What happens when you do not have the minimum number of divisions to give a garrison order? Can you just not give the order, or will the divisions move from province to province guarding the intended targets intermittently as if on guard duty? I think the later would be nice.

It will try to cover as many as possible based on priority scoring. The drawback of having them move around is that they lose any entrenchment and take org hits.

Reactions:
No. The execution of the regular order tries to adapt to changing situations, tries to not overextend too much etc. The blitz just straight up rushes exactly the provinces highlighted when the arrow has been drawn, no matter what risks.

I don't know, the regular fronts seem very intent on overextending themselves front-width wise, ostensibly something the blitz command won't do.
I can see why the aggressiveness factor might warrant a separate command, but I think the standard front line behavior for anything other than one single front line along the front is sufficiently broken (constant overlap as the front moves), that locking something as necessary as this to make the battleplanner properly functional behind a dlc paywall is poor form.
I doubt that's in anyway your call though, so thank you (and whoever else was responsilbe for the programming side here) for your work in improving the game.

Reactions:
Will your units try to defend the new borders you create with the blitz command or do you have to defend the borders yourself with other units?

Reactions:
The intention is that it will be able to do this, though it is still a work in progress. While I would prefer the AI to play the game as much on the players terms as possible (and NOT use the blitz if the player is not capable of doing so), it may not be up to me, and it may turn out that is is a significant enough improvement to be desirable regardless of if the player can use it or not.

Thanks SteelVolt. Good to hear that. Since humans are superior in microing, I would vote for giving this command to the AI in all cases.
Will propably also make your work as AI designer easier.

Reactions:

I too believed the HOI4 team and bought the Marshal Edition too but this concern us too. What will happen after 2 dlcs? I am shocked that they took this road so early. I really believed some things were changing after that good launch. Now I feel there are no guarantees this will stop. Now I can suspect anything! Maybe they are saving best for third dlc?

Reactions:
It will also help you a bit and count up how many divisions are at least needed so that it can place one on each spot according to your order.
Does this just count the number of divisions needed to put one in each spot (spot = province or state?) as you said or does it also take in consideration how many it needs to actually fulfil the task efficently? I'm especially thinking about the supress rebels task here. Of course that would depend on the suppresion value of the divisions, but maybe this can be taken into consideration (e.g. using the average suppresion value of all already assigned units or just some fixed suppresion value)?

Looking forward to the next dev diary, especially the canadian and australian focus trees :D

Last edited:
Reactions: