HOI4 - Development Diary - October 12th 2016

HOI4 - Development Diary - October 12th 2016

• Crusader Kings III Available Now!

The realm rejoices as Paradox Interactive announces the launch of Crusader Kings III, the latest entry in the publisher’s grand strategy role-playing game franchise. Advisors may now jockey for positions of influence and adversaries should save their schemes for another day, because on this day Crusader Kings III can be purchased on Steam, the Paradox Store, and other major online retailers.

Real Strategy Requires Cunning
Showing developer posts only. Show all posts in this thread.

podcat

Oberkommando HOI4
Super Moderator
12 Badges
Jul 23, 2007
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Semper Fi
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Hearts of Iron II: Beta
  • Europa Universalis: Rome Collectors Edition
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Paradox Order
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
Hi everyone! Today I will start talking about features coming in the future expansion (still not announced yet, so its name shall remain under fog of war). First up are things related to battle plans and managing unit orders

Paid Feature: Blitz Command
The Offensive Lines in battle plans are designed to expand as a front expands and you take territory. This works fine if what you want to do is push along a broad front, but not as well when you are trying to have several orders in the same area active at once or doing encirclements or more detailed things. As long as such are a couple of provinces microing some armored divisions to do it is no big hurdle, but for bigger stuff that becomes a lot of work. So, to improve on this we are adding another tool to the battle plan toolbox for you to use: Blitz Command. A blitz command works differently in that when you activate it it remembers the area you tell it to take and will do that without readjusting its width or caring about other things getting in its way. Perfect for drawing pincer movements and encirclements!

We have also worked on the AI’s ability to identify encirclements and choke points, so even though it's easier to plan an encirclement now actually successfully pulling them off will be more difficult.

Free Feature: Configurable Garrison Order
The Garrison order has gotten some love and you can now configure what you want it to guard and care about. So if you only care about ports and coastlines you can select only ports and coastlines for the order. It will also help you a bit and count up how many divisions are at least needed so that it can place one on each spot according to your order.

Thats it for this week but we are doing a Q&A stream today during World War Wednesday at 15:00CEST so tune in if you have questions (about anything really) and I'll do my best to answer :)

Reactions:

GAGA Extrem

Paradox QA
72 Badges
Mar 19, 2004
  • The Showdown Effect
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Ship Simulator Extremes
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • Warlock 2: Wrath of the Nagas
  • War of the Roses
  • 200k Club
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Prison Architect
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Cities in Motion
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Darkest Hour
  • Dungeonland
  • East India Company Collection
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
Oh so no decision yet.
B is for switching the strategic deployment move, btw.
Yes, that's the minor overlap he mentioned. :D
#itsoundedlikeagreatideaatthetime

Reactions:

SteelVolt

Technomancer
2 Badges
Aug 4, 2014
  • Paradox Order
Is that number of fronts, normal (shield) and blitz (sword)?
It is not. It is in fact even more interesting than that, but I will leave that alone until Podcat gives it a proper DD ;)

Reactions:

SteelVolt

Technomancer
2 Badges
Aug 4, 2014
  • Paradox Order
Yes, that's the minor overlap he mentioned. :D
#itsoundedlikeagreatideaatthetime
I still think it is a great idea: Not only does it give a B = Blitz type of thing, it also fits in with the line of shortcuts for other order types :cool:

Reactions:

SteelVolt

Technomancer
2 Badges
Aug 4, 2014
  • Paradox Order
you could simply select a large area and it would behave exactly like the regular command no?
No. The execution of the regular order tries to adapt to changing situations, tries to not overextend too much etc. The blitz just straight up rushes exactly the provinces highlighted when the arrow has been drawn, no matter what risks.

Reactions:

SteelVolt

Technomancer
2 Badges
Aug 4, 2014
  • Paradox Order
The last 2 appear to be the numbers of battles in the theater; shield = you are defending, sword= you are attacking...I assume the colours are green = you are winning, red = you are loosing.
I can neither confirm nor deny this.

On a side note I hope the next patch allows us to reroute our convoys, currently they are game breaking.
Not looking like it, sorry. (though I agree that would be a nice feature.)

Reactions:

SteelVolt

Technomancer
2 Badges
Aug 4, 2014
  • Paradox Order
I expect this too. As a Field Marshal edition owner it doesn't really concern me, but this is a kind of feature I would expect to go into to the base game.

That said: how does the AI handle this? Is it able to utilize this command? And will it behave different with or without the expansion?
The intention is that it will be able to do this, though it is still a work in progress. While I would prefer the AI to play the game as much on the players terms as possible (and NOT use the blitz if the player is not capable of doing so), it may not be up to me, and it may turn out that is is a significant enough improvement to be desirable regardless of if the player can use it or not.

Reactions:

SteelVolt

Technomancer
2 Badges
Aug 4, 2014
  • Paradox Order
What happens when you do not have the minimum number of divisions to give a garrison order? Can you just not give the order, or will the divisions move from province to province guarding the intended targets intermittently as if on guard duty? I think the later would be nice.
It will try to cover as many as possible based on priority scoring. The drawback of having them move around is that they lose any entrenchment and take org hits.

Reactions:

SteelVolt

Technomancer
2 Badges
Aug 4, 2014
  • Paradox Order
Will your units try to defend the new borders you create with the blitz command or do you have to defend the borders yourself with other units?
It still needs a front order as a root, which is handled the same way as with regular orders.

Reactions:

SteelVolt

Technomancer
2 Badges
Aug 4, 2014
  • Paradox Order
Does this just count the number of divisions needed to put one in each spot (spot = province or state?) as you said or does it also take in consideration how many it needs to actually fulfil the task efficently? I'm especially thinking about the supress rebels task here. Of course that would depend on the suppresion value of the divisions, but maybe this can be taken into consideration (e.g. using the average suppresion value of all already assigned units as or just some fixed suppresion value)?

Looking forward to the next dev diary, especially the canadian and australian focus trees :D
The number is meant to represent, as accurately as possible, the bare minimum units to get the job done. As you state, the tricker case is with supression, which we have some ideas for how to approach :)

Reactions:

SteelVolt

Technomancer
2 Badges
Aug 4, 2014
  • Paradox Order
Will the garrison command division count be able to factor in the amount of suppression required for selected territories? Sometimes particularly rebellious places require more than one division.
Sorry for bein vague. Yes, the intention is to try to take troop supression value vs resistance generation into account.

Reactions:

SteelVolt

Technomancer
2 Badges
Aug 4, 2014
  • Paradox Order
What happens when you apply more units than the garrison suggests? Will it space them out evenly? Will they clump up as they do now? Will the be prioritized across VPs, Ports, areas near ports, etc?
It will try to cover what it can based on priority. Aside from that there have been some improvements done to how it balances units over all, which is of course included in the free update.

Reactions:

SteelVolt

Technomancer
2 Badges
Aug 4, 2014
  • Paradox Order
Question: What exactly is the difference between the Blitz command and simply selecting a number of divisions at the front and manually telling them to b-line a specific province? Wouldnt that basicly end up with the same result? Just curious.
The end result would be more or less the same, but since they would not be helping out through support attacks in combats as they go along, you would likely end up taking more damage if you just give a bunch of move orders and leave them alone.

Reactions:

podcat

Oberkommando HOI4
Super Moderator
12 Badges
Jul 23, 2007
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Semper Fi
  • 500k Club
  • Paradox Order
What are those new icons on the theatre shields? Is that number of fronts, normal (shield) and blitz (sword)? Now that you leaked it, we expect some comment :D
future secrets to be revealed :)

What happens when you apply more units than the garrison suggests? Will it space them out evenly? Will they clump up as they do now? Will the be prioritized across VPs, Ports, areas near ports, etc?
There is still an inherent priority here, so it will spread things out. We have improved the way the spreading works quite a bit too so should feel more natural.

Question: What exactly is the difference between the Blitz command and simply selecting a number of divisions at the front and manually telling them to b-line a specific province? Wouldnt that basicly end up with the same result? Just curious.
There isnt really a difference. This is a way of doing it easier using the plan for people who like plans. microing multiple pincers in MP is also difficult at speed. (Emu:ed by Carl, yeah it does automatically support attack which you'd need to do manually also)

Reactions:

podcat

Oberkommando HOI4
Super Moderator
12 Badges
Jul 23, 2007
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Semper Fi
  • 500k Club
  • Paradox Order
people creating pockets with manual control was EXACTLY what paradox stated was their mission to avoid, they said they wanted to remove the micro and make it more about making decisions at the strategic level, not microing every battle. So you can't say "hah, this feature was already in, and now you expect it to be free? you must want ALL new content to be free don't you???"
We didnt say we wanted to remove all micro though as people do enjoy it to a point. As an example a lot of people here at pds play with armor division using micro or limited plans with infantry pushing. This is a middle point where some people may feel the cant micro a certain amount of divisions (because to be honest if you have only 2 armor divisions you will be microing them no matter what), but you dont have so many divisions that it all becomes statistics and huge fronts bleeding.

The blitz feature just sounds like an adjustment to a flaw in the game mechanics, not a bonus feature worthy of dl c.
Not true, if you read SteelVolt's reply earlier, they do have pretty different goals from normal controls which need to handle a lot of situations automatically

Reactions:

podcat

Oberkommando HOI4
Super Moderator
12 Badges
Jul 23, 2007
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Semper Fi
  • 500k Club
  • Paradox Order
So this is a quality of life improvement rather than a new feature? Wasn't Paradox policy so far to keep those as part of patches rather than DLC? Like UI improvements? :(
This isnt a GUI improvement, this is a different way of playing with parts of plans though. This is generally how we have done in past DLCs so its nothing new.

Reactions:

SteelVolt

Technomancer
2 Badges
Aug 4, 2014
  • Paradox Order
Generally, players (well, those playing China), will garrison ports with a 1-2-1 layout, at minimum, with divisions on either side of the port, to discourage landings right next to your ports. Will the garrison command do this, if you tell it to garrison ports?
Not at this point, but certainly something to consider for future improvement :)

Reactions:

podcat

Oberkommando HOI4
Super Moderator
12 Badges
Jul 23, 2007
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Semper Fi
  • 500k Club
  • Paradox Order
With the information I have currently (knowing full well things may change over time) about this DLC I am willing to give up potentially more damage rather than paying for something that does "more or less the same thing"
Why would I pay for this feature when I have been replicating it with just a couple of mouse clicks since HOI1?
"things may change over time"? well I hope so, the whole expansion are not a single feature + a free thing or it might be hard to sell ;) Again not every feature will appeal to everyone. If you are fine with microing it will always be a just as good alternative, others might not be and be excited about this feature. Keep an eye on future diary for stuff that does intrigue you

Reactions: