HOI4 - Development Diary - 5th of August 2016

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Really hope we will be able to create puppets in controlled provinces. If these provinces were taken as a part of a large war and the puppet master is defeated, IMHO the puppet states set up during wartime should disappear.

Reactions:
"sunflower" stand most likely for: Operation Sunflower (Unternehmen Sonnenblume).
The WWII German campaign in North Africa in 1941 under Rommel command.
Paradox often use historical operation names for their patches.

Reactions:
I agree that it has to do with operation sunflower. But is it a hint that they are gonna fix the africa problems?
Hopefully Africa in general, but also Germany and especially Italy wasting tons of divisions on their often suicidal way to Africa.

Would be really nice if Italy actually tried capturing the Suez Canal as one of their main priorities in Africa before being so extremely enthusiastic about eastern and central Africa. Although it's also worth noting that Operation Sunflower mainly happened because the Italians completely failed in their attempts...

Reactions:
- Manpower should probably be "sunk" in ways other than divisions. It's very common to see countries just overflowing with huge division counts. (this is directly related to the late game slowdown!)

The problem I believe is they give us realistic manpower pools, which are then only used for frontline combat units, whereas in reality for every combat division there were tens of thousands of support troops behind the lines without which the frontline units couldn't function. So I think the manpower pools should be reduced by like 50 or even 60% to make it more realistic, or the manpower pool should be split into 'combat' and 'non-combat' pools, and then you could have extra laws/doctrines/strategies to play around with. Like for example pressing some of the support personnel onto the frontlines, which gives you more manpower but gives a malus of some sort.

Reactions:
Fine and good to make the game harder for the HOI4 masters, but what about sparing a small percentage of the effort for making it more understandable and manageable for the journeymen and apprentices trying to understand how the game works?

A good wiki can be better than a manual, but only if it has access to important game information from the development team and is organized to make both searching for information and discovering information easy and understandable. Unfortunately, the less a player knows about historical and game terminology, the less likely they will find information they are looking for or should be looking for. This can be discouraging.

From the posts, players often do check the wiki first but find nothing when the information is there.

Important information includes design intentions, intended game mechanics, actual game mechanics, and bugs/workarounds and if provided can make its way to the wiki.

Reactions:
I strongly disagree. Completely needless, and it would make the map look extremely untidy. What would you even call many of those obscure, rural provinces?

A better compromise would be adding a number of new minor victory points (1 - 5 VP) with important local town and city names on.
Even better would be adding a 0 VP marker so that modders can name the provinces they want without screwing up the AI's priorities.

Reactions:
To solve the Sahara issue could you just add a really high attrition factor to the terrain? Would the AI be able to look at something like that and decide it's too costly to send troops there.
The point there is the logistic. A couple of camels can go through some provinces but a division would be a logistic nightmare. Maybe vehicles can't be used or some special ones are needed. Even if that how do you keep the troops in supply?

Reactions:
One thing I would like to see after the bigger things have been address is training levels. Right now when training new divisions they auto deploy when fully train or when you force deploy. I would like to see an option to set auto deploy to something like this.
Conscript training: Deploy at 20%. Perfect for MP divisions or Russian tactics
Rushed training: Deploy at 60%. For when you need to get divisions into the field but things aren't quite desperate
Fully trained: Deploy at 100% the default setting. Good for Pre-war build up, or If thing are going your way.

That would be handy for us, but it depends on whether the developers want to encourage or discourage early deployment. It does seem like a potential piece of the solution to AI fielding under-equipped divisions.

Why not just use the HoI3 system and make it so a province with 0 infrastructure is impassible?

It was and would be confusingon the map unless very distinctively marked.

One thing I never liked about playing Japan in HoI3 is thatyou can't construct within the territory of your puppets. That means no airbase improvements and no infrastructure improvements, for example. So although the lack of Manchukuo is annoying from a historical standpoint, I don't want it reintroduced unless we get new subject interactions, including the ability to build improvements in puppet territory.

Military facilities such as ports, airports, and infrastructure make the most sense in a puppet.

Reactions:
Hi,

I'm sure you have plans for heaps of new policy trees for nations in future DLCs, but do try and push a few into upcoming patches, I don't know if it's just me, but the limited specialization for minors, reduces replayability for me in a manner I am not used to from the great team in PDX.

Thanks

Reactions:
If you increase the Ai war preference for factories more over say natural resources, that might solve the Axis going into Africa problem (and thats already in the defines.lua). Or actually have the AI build infrastructure, then Africa wont be so miserable.

I certainly hope the next patch is ALOT more ambitious then this one Africa problem. Idk my expectations have gotten so low over the last month and a half and the last short generic dev diary, I wish there were other games to play while Paradox gets this one functional.

Reactions:
I want to see an end to counties like Guatemala, Costa Rica, Nepal sending divisions to Europe.

Also, no DLC until the fundamantal issues with the AI/Battleplanner have been resolved please

Reactions:
I guess what I'm getting at is that it would be stupid to put an art DLC (EG: More leader portraits) on hold because of AI issues. The two things have nothing to do with each other.

Reactions: