HOI4 - Development Diary - 12th of August 2016 **read OP edit**

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I kind of feel that the "strengthening" aspect was added as a bandage solution to making actual improvements on the AI, but I hope that I'm wrong here.
If you read the DD, they're giving us the option to strengthen individual nations and working on the AI.

Reactions:
If you read the DD, they're giving us the option to strengthen individual nations and working on the AI.

I read it, but I still feel like that they are using "strengthening AI" as a bandage solution because I don't trust that they're going to be able to fix the AI entirely. If you wanna take their word for it go ahead, but I sure don't.

Reactions:
I don't think this will fix anything, could careless if i can add a bunch of rediclous modifiers to a country when they don't even put their troops on the front lines, or use naval invasion.. or do anything at all really. The Difficulty doesn't matter, i still beat the game in 1 and half hours on the current hardest difficulty and i suck at paradox games!

Also, could you changed exiled units mechanics? i hate having to do some squirrely glitchy crap just to get my troops back from Netherlands as Japan after declaring for Indonesia in 1936. Most times, i just let 25 divisions or so sit in the Netherlands till WW2 breaks out, No i do not want to take the homelands of the Netherlands because that will tip tensions over 50% so that's not really an option unless i fancy losing WW2 by 1940.

Great concept of a game, really wish you guys did some work on this or at least put an "Alpha" in front of the games title... because it is an alpha game still obliviously. Would have defiantly spent my money somewhere else if i knew HoI 4 was half a game. I hope you can make it up to us paradox.

Reactions:
@powers68

Sorry for being off topic. I'm not having a go at you specifically; you've been brainwashed with common usage. It just frustrates me seeing people use the Americanism "I COULD care less". The saying is "couldn't" care less.

If you could care less that means you do care. I am assuming from the context you are trying to convey that you don't care.

Anyway, back on topic. You shouldn't have to take Netherlands to get troops back in good order. I am assuming you mean you have troops in indonesia?

Reactions:
I read it, but I still feel like that they are using "strengthening AI" as a bandage solution because I don't trust that they're going to be able to fix the AI entirely. If you wanna take their word for it go ahead, but I sure don't.
the nation boosts are to give replayability.

Reactions:
I COULD care less
depends... sometimes I could care less than I do about things, like this reply I could care less about it, and if I did I wouldn't have replied. Maybe I should have cared less...

Reactions:
Paradox, Steelvolt and Podcat are doing a wonderful job and HoI4 is far more fun so far than I've had in any HoI game and I've played them all.

Keep up the good work because this game has potential to drag the kind of hours out of me that I got from EU4!

Reactions:
depends... sometimes I could care less than I do about things, like this reply I could care less about it, and if I did I wouldn't have replied. Maybe I should have cared less...
:D

Reactions:

lololol, I could care a lot less about this post, because I enjoy it a lot :).

Reactions:
You are misinformed, we have had difficulty sliders in every game at least as far back as EU2 where I started playing these games, and in every case they involved giving the AI bonuses and the player a penalty for the harder levels. At some point EU4 split them into a difficulty slider and a handicap player/ai/none setting, which is the only exception I can think of.

Probably way late to the party but I would like to inform you that the original quote you are talking about is indeed misinformed. The dev comment he is referring to is dissing Creative assembly for simply giving the AI's units out of thin air to increase difficulty. That is infact how they increase difficulty. I would also like to say that I found a neat little trick in my own mod for difficulty in hoi3. I tweaked various other things like gave the AI's more dug in bonus, reduced stacking penalties for them, and other neat things. I suggest you look into the same. Give these AI nations that recieve buffs unique to them buffs like USA and Japan, if the player also is playing in the pacific give them easier times fielding naval units, and an easier setting for naval supremacy when doing invasions. stuff like that would be alot better than just giving them a bonus to equipment production and manpower. Also nobody likes the generic combat power penalty/bonus, make it more subtle like tactic chances or airpower bonus.

Reactions:

A good AI in a Vast strategy game like HOI is extreeeemly difficult. A perfect AI is like the Holy Grail (it's doesn't exist).

The DDs say they're giving us both the slider and improved AI. You make an analogy to the slider being a bandage, well, you put a bandage on while a cut is healing, if you want to think of it that way (I don't see any downside to an optional slider, but that's me). As to fixing the AI entirely, if you mean a perfect AI then no you're not going to get it, but it will get better, and keep getting better.

Last edited:
Reactions:
A good AI in a Vast strategy game like HOI is extreeeemly difficult. A perfect AI is like the Holy Grail (it's doesn't exist).

The DDs say they're giving us both the slider and improved AI. You make an analogy to the slider being a bandage, well, you put a bandage on while a cut is healing, if you want to think of it that way (I don't see any downside to an optional slider, but that's me). As to fixing the AI entirely, if you mean a perfect AI then no you're not going to get it, but it will get better, and keep getting better.

As long as they don't overuse the bandage as a means to slack off from making significant AI improvements (doesn't have to be perfect but it needs to be much better than the current state) I'd be quite satisfied.

Reactions:
I read it, but I still feel like that they are using "strengthening AI" as a bandage solution because I don't trust that they're going to be able to fix the AI entirely.
'k.

I kind of feel that the "strengthening" aspect was added as a bandage solution to making actual improvements on the AI, but I hope that I'm wrong here.

In the case as stated in the OP, these settings have nothing to do with the AI's shortcomings. It's merely to give players more choices of how they want to play (as stated by Had a Dad).

In the rare cases where we might use AI "cheats" as bandaids (it can happen), it would be only as temporary solutions. This could be implemented where an issue is really urgent, but we don't have a good proper fix for it in the near future. In those cases we might consider implementing some cheats to improve the current gaming experience. We are in full agreement that should not be a permanent solution however.

But again, what's mentioned in this DD is not a fix for the current AI issues people are reporting.

Reactions:
Do people really expect a game of this depth, complexity and magnitude is going to be fully polished the day it hits the shelf? Or 90 days after it hits the shelf? Are they new to war games?

The developers acknowledge and agree with the issues we are bringing to the table. They are actively addressing those issues in a transparent manner. They are implementing clever twists to correct the problem AND enhance replayability.

I am quite sure they are sorry the patch wasn't ready for your weekend off of gaming. But if some players can't see the sweat and determination being shown; too frigging bad for them.

Great job, guys. Keep up the good work.

Reactions:
also have a good look at this image and tell me what you see, bad AI my ass

http://images.akamai.steamuserconte...289/1096F1C3FE23ABA57E85EAB56670523B6D9B5AD9/
I don't think there was ever any issue with the AI, for a human player Japan. There hasn't been with Mengkukuo that I've seen. It was a gameplay issue. If you are playing as Japan you can't develop infrastructure, naval and air bases in Manchuria in the build-up to Marco Polo. Same for UK with Egypt. Plus Manchuria has resources and manpower that Japan should be able to use, given Manchukuo wasn't even remotely semi-autonomous - the Kwantung Army administered Manchuria as a colony of Japan.

The ideal situation is that you get an option to release them as puppets. Through the manage occupied territory interface, or preferably by an NF. Make it not part of the Historical AI Focuses, so that the AI doesn't do it, but let the Japan/UK player create them as puppets, if they want.

Reactions: