• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
There are all sorts of reasons that go into the decision by someone to release something on an unfinished product, and the simple "not worth their time" is a very shallow way of looking at it (and a rather odd conclusion to draw, given the numerous dev diaries we do get). For a start, something needs to be at a state of development where it's "finished enough" that it won't change too much before release. While people are told to manage their expectations, they usually don't, and so the behaviour of a portion of the fanbase makes it very difficult to release information that's too speculative, beyond the very general "possible directions forward" we get from time-to-time.

Then there are the complaints people make when the dev diaries aren't of something directly related to gameplay. PDS across a few of their games have experimented providing what information they could, only to receive a substantial amount of negative feedback. At the end of the day, a dev team isn't going to have a "clear, finished story on a particularly mechanic, piece of content or art" available each week (as best I understand it, if the content/mechanics/art was rushed that quickly, it'd likely be unplayable for lack of testing and polish), and the fanbase have given a decidedly mixed response to dev diaries that are more about the team, or research, testing and that kind of thing.

That said, there is also the issue of the amount of time dev diaries take as you raise. However, it's not lazy not to do them because of this - it's just a difference in priorities. I think the communication is great, but don't forget every hour spent on a dev diary is an hour not spent on development (and writing and proofing a dev diary, and then monitoring for comments afterwards, takes time).

Of course, I very strongly take contention with the idea that the dev team are lazy - I've been following Paradox for longer than I'd care to admit, and I've never seen anything that suggests lazy. Having to prioritise because developing a game is a complicated balance of a bunch of things? Sure - and it'd be impossible not to. But lazy? Absolutely not.
Based on the comments Paradox usually gets on DLC-related threads, the popular consensus seems to be that the devs are lazy because they work for money and not out of charity.

• 1Love
Reactions:
Based on the comments Paradox usually gets on DLC-related threads, the popular consensus seems to be that the devs are lazy because they work for money and not out of charity.

I would hope that you are making this as a sarcastic statement.

I don't think most fans hold this view, but I do get the impression that a lot of fans aren't perhaps as up-to-speed with the nuts-and-bolts of making things happen (which, to be fair, they shouldn't be expected to be, and I'm not suggesting I'm on top of either), and that this might come across as sounding like they want something for nothing. While there are a few people with particularly creative opinions, I don't think most fans begrudge the devs (or shareholders, that put up the capital to make things happen) getting paid :).

In far more important news, I've finally broken through in my third Bulgaria game - it took until the mid-1950s to build up a mechanised force, and is taking advantage of the AI not modernising its force structure, but Italy has fallen and Bulgaria is on the rise!

• 3Like
Reactions:
Or rather, showing that the Camelry focus is in the wrong place in the focus tree.

In my opinion it should be part of the Armed Forces tree, not dependent on going back Sultanate.
You can get it through the fascist path as well and I believe also in the allies. You got to look for it.
Wish i could send a photo but i am having issues with Hoi4 not wanting to open

• 1Like
Reactions:
All I got from this DD, and this is nothing about Battle for the Bosphorus which is good but could use tweaking and it was evident before release, was that:

- Barbarossa is being developed (We knew this)
- There's a new DLC being released (We knew this)
- Some stats on what other people did in their games (I mean it's cool but what else do you have to tell me)
- Greece won't be getting any new focuses (Assuming this applies to Turkey and Bulgaria, Yugoslavia and Romania meaning many of the issues and missing options will continue, likely forever)
- No new states will be added until likely 1.11 (Meaning Romania, Yugoslavia, Hungary, Bulgaria, Greece and Turkey will continue to have their state border issues)
- A patch is coming soon (We knew this, at least I assumed it was being made since it's standard)
- Don't expect DDs anytime soon (So don't expect 1.10.2 anytime soon I'm guessing, that's a bummer considering some of the issues like Yugoslavia getting free cores on anywhere they want, AI Bulgaria failing miserably to handled political matters causing them to have a civil war extremely early and much more)

Not going to lie, a disappointing DD, nothing new meaningful was told other then necessary changes won't be added. This isn't me dunking on Battle for the Bosphorus, I've actually enjoyed the country pack for the most part, but it's missing some changes that are badly needed to really make it great and not something that's good-ish. Just stating that I was hoping for more info on the upcoming patch at least, like what changes are being planned, what fixes are confirmed, stuff like that. I don't need to know what percentage of people decided to restore the Ottoman Empire, maybe for like yearly talk about the progress of the game, that's interesting to see how stuff fluctuated as the DLC and patch come out and how it changes after the initial release, since it obviously spikes right at launch, it's after that's more interesting. I don't know, just meh. Looking forward, I hope, to seeing what's in store for the future. :)
I'm curious about the "missing options", can you tell me more? please :)

Same in Medieval 2 total war. Camels would frighten horses with their cool attitude and beat them hands down, esp. in the desert battles.
I should play that one again, with Stainless Steel, of course. Hoping CA makes Medieval III soon.

• 1Love
Reactions:
Patch "Barbarossa"? Thoughts?
German Focus Tree adding Communism branch whether in the Rhineland or Allow Free Elections.
1) Rhineland scenario > Mutually exclusively with Anschluss/(Return of the Exiled Father) or maybe gather some more influence of KPD. Then After (Return of the Exiled Father) > (Assassinate Hitler). Finishing the focus (Assassinate Hitler) with certain condition to be met will void peacefully the split between the Nazis and the said party. Then event, whether Wilhelm Pieck or Ernst Thalmann will lead the party. Then another event, Social Democratic or Marxism. (Follow Stalin's Teaching), basically be Stalin's dog with mutually exclusive to (Vengeance against the Great Purge), historically, some KPD officers were held exile in SOV and caught during the cleansing. Avenging the deaths of Hugo Eberlein, Heinz Neumann, Hermann Remmele, Fritz Schulte and Hermann Schubert. Getting a non-aggression pact and support from the SOV with a time threshold, expiring the pact will lead to declaring war against SOV. Then, SOV will get the event.

2) Allow Free Election scenario > Gets event: Support the Left (National Spirit: Daily Communism +N for +days) or Support the Democrats (National Spirit: Daily Democracy +N for +days) > Compromise the Monarchy/(Fate of the Remaining Nobles)... Gets event, Execute or Exile... if execute, HOL gets event (GER demands the Kaiser)...if Exile... where? Somewhere far GER..
(Follow Stalin) be Stalin's wh*re... with mutually exclusive (Heart of Marxism) influencing Balkans, Baltics, Low Countries and the Nords.

Baltic Countries will use generic focus tree no more!!!

Probably, small minor changes with Poland's national focus tree..

And probably MON will have its new focus tree or not..

Russia?
Trotsky? Tsardom?
If Tsardomship, they could retrieve the White loyalists exiled in JAP and MAN.. (Lead the Entente)

Disclaimer: Just for fun.

I used to enjoy playing Germany a lot, because Im a total wuss, and I like having only a spoonful of difficulty. But with this DLC I think it gives a nice challenge, and freshens up the game a lot.

Given that we took the number 1 top-seller spot on steam within an hour of launch, and without pre-orders, I daresay that the idea of a country pack has been a success.
49% of the Steam reviews disagree! The initial sales are more due to the loyal fan base.
I would rather say that the idea of charging 10 bucks for a few focus trees has failed.

This is the first content DLC that I didn't buy. It just didn't feel right and quite frankly: vanilla can't compete with mods like Total War (which of course are only possible due to the excellent framework provided by PDS).

Last edited:
  • 6Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
49% of the Steam reviews disagree! The initial sales are more due to the loyal fan base.
I would rather say that the idea of charging 10 bucks for a few focus trees has failed.

This is the first content DLC that I didn't buy. It just didn't feel right and quite frankly: vanilla can't compete with mods like Total War (which of course are only possible due to the excellent framework provided by PDS).

Maybe maybe not. I bought it but havn't played it much. I've grown somewhat bored with HOI IV, maybe I just have played it to much. The national focuses aren't that interesting in my mind. It's more or changed gameplay features that keeps the game replayable. It would be something like new a resource, reworked logistics, economics or research to keep atleast my interest going.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I should play that one again, with Stainless Steel, of course. Hoping CA makes Medieval III soon.

Unfortunately there will be no Medieval 3.The CA will not release any more large-scale games like Medieval or Rome.Only smaller-scale games such as the Troy and Thrones of Britannia will be made.

I too find this DLC a bit lacking in quality compared to the previous ones, in spite of the good choice of nations. The focus tree & decisions design just don't fit with the rest of the focus trees and decisions for other countries, it feels like a mod was added. But nonetheless, as long as it brings new things in the game I still like it.

A lot of people complained about this 10 bucks for a few focus trees idea as you call it. I too was expecting DLCs to be something more... major. I imagined a World War II scenarios with focus trees for all the countries that already have focuses and the nordic countries, Mengukukuo and Mongolia. While the DLCs would be for other scenarios such as: World War I, a fictional World War III that starts in 1949, something like Kaiserreich, etc. But I don't really complain as we have amazing mods for that. But at the end of the days the numbers talk, if Paradox keeps going with this 10 bucks for a few focus trees idea, it means it makes a profit.

We will ever see a patch or a DLC for Italy? Because its focus tree is horrible
from what they said is in their list of things to do, if not with the next DLC with the one after it.