HoI4 Dev Teasers (previously Podcat's Twitter Teasers)

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
In fact, supply by barges over water in summer was easier than trucks in winter
yes that is something that should be fixed especially in China there are some situations where armies get encircled pressed against a lake, that is should be fixed.

Reactions:
yes that is something that should be fixed especially in China there are some situations where armies get encircled pressed against a lake, that is should be fixed.
Absolutely; freight and supply over lakes and along coastal waters was a major factor in the first half of the 20th century. It was almost as if lakes, rivers and coastal waters had infrastructure! A whole war (with S-boats, MGBs, MTBs, PT boats, air raiders, mini-submarines, minelayers and minesweepers...) was fought in the coastal waters of the North Sea, the Mediterranean, the Black Sea, the Baltic Sea, the Pacific Islands and South East Asia. Oh, and the Red Sea and the Horn of Africa!

Reactions:
Absolutely; freight and supply over lakes and along coastal waters was a major factor in the first half of the 20th century. It was almost as if lakes, rivers and coastal waters had infrastructure! A whole war (with S-boats, MGBs, MTBs, PT boats, air raiders, mini-submarines, minelayers and minesweepers...) was fought in the coastal waters of the North Sea, the Mediterranean, the Black Sea, the Baltic Sea, the Pacific Islands and South East Asia. Oh, and the Red Sea and the Horn of Africa!
They have mentioned that rivers can be used to ship supplies down so long as you control both banks. Shouldn't be too hard to extend that to lakes, someway.

Reactions:
I hope they're reworking Urban combat. It's just far too easy to steamroll the AI when it comes to seizing major cities. The AI just spreads its divisions far too wide across the entire front that often you'll see 1-2 divisions sitting in Berlin, Stalingrad, Moscow, Tokyo, etc.

I mean, if they can get the AI to prioritize cities, that'd be great. But yeah, i'll always be a bit wary of improving the AI significantly.

Instead, i think a possibly better work around is to treat cities like forts in the other Paradox games. Cities have garrisons which can increase based on how upgraded the fort is. So like Leningrad could have a ton of garrisons and defenses to keep the city holding even if it's cut off from the Soviets, for example.

Reactions:
In fact, supply by barges over water in summer was easier than trucks in winter
In fact, everything is complicated. High waves caused by windy stormy weather have long made Lake Ladoga dangerous for navigation. Since the founding of St. Petersburg, waterways have been built to bypass it during transportation. So the supply of Leningrad was dangerous and difficult both in summer and in winter. Add to this that Leningrad was also supplied by air, so not enough aircraft were allocated for Airborne Operations.

Reactions:
In fact, everything is complicated. High waves caused by windy stormy weather have long made Lake Ladoga dangerous for navigation. Since the founding of St. Petersburg, waterways have been built to bypass it during transportation. So the supply of Leningrad was dangerous and difficult both in summer and in winter. Add to this that Leningrad was also supplied by air, so not enough aircraft were allocated for Airborne Operations.
that reminds me that air supply should work better if the encircled army has an airfield, its just easier landing and offloading rather than dropping things off. Should come with a rework of transport planes, there was quite the development from 1936-1948.

Reactions:
I hope they're reworking Urban combat. It's just far too easy to steamroll the AI when it comes to seizing major cities. The AI just spreads its divisions far too wide across the entire front that often you'll see 1-2 divisions sitting in Berlin, Stalingrad, Moscow, Tokyo, etc.

I mean, if they can get the AI to prioritize cities, that'd be great. But yeah, i'll always be a bit wary of improving the AI significantly.

Instead, i think a possibly better work around is to treat cities like forts in the other Paradox games. Cities have garrisons which can increase based on how upgraded the fort is. So like Leningrad could have a ton of garrisons and defenses to keep the city holding even if it's cut off from the Soviets, for example.

One thing I'd really like to see with urban combat is degradation of the urban battlefield. Meaning, if you are fighting in a city over long periods of time it will start to turn to rubble (like Stalingrad) and become much harder to attack. @podcat @Arheo

Reactions:
In November-April 1941-42 the total volume of supplies moved was 360 Kt, in May-November 1942 it was 745 Kt, source in Russian: https://ru.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Дорога_жизни Of course, other factors affected it, like Germans cutting the Tikhvin rail link to the Eastern shore of Ladoga in November-December 1941, overall logistics efficiency and supply availability that improved drastically in 1942. However, water transport seems to be much more efficient than trucking, which is only to be expected. Of course, rail would compete with shipping, but the plans to build a rail link over ice in winter 1942-43 were scrapped after a land rail link was won in January 1943.
I hope the devs model the importance of waterways over rivers and lakes, it makes a lot of sense for other battles as well, e.g. Stalingrad battle to a large extent was fought over control of Volga waterway.

Reactions:
One thing I'd really like to see with urban combat is degradation of the urban battlefield. Meaning, if you are fighting in a city over long periods of time it will start to turn to rubble (like Stalingrad) and become much harder to attack. @podcat @Arheo
I like that idea. The same should apply to damage from aerial bombardment, really.

Reactions:
Factories and Infrastructure should be destroyed permanently, in some cities streets could no longer be identified, factories were just completely destroyed etc. I once fought for half a year in Minsk, with massive air deployments by both sides, I defended the city, lost it, retook it, there was not a day in which there was no fighting. There shouldn't be a single thing left standing that can be repaired.

Reactions:
One thing I'd really like to see with urban combat is degradation of the urban battlefield.
Guess they could do something along the line of giving the defenders a fortification after a certain point in time.

Reactions:
800px-Monogram_Patriarchy_Moskiewskiego_i_całej_Rusi,_Cyryla..svg.png

This is the monogram of the Patriarch of Moscow and all Rus'. The official title of the Bishop of Moscow was reinstated in 1943 by Stalin.
This is not monarchical path that you might have imagined. Just historical one.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions:
Hope for actual Orthodox Theocracy and White Emigres Junta nonaligned paths instead of 3rd Romanov path outside of Kiril (realistic) and Anna Anderson (memes)

Reactions:
And how exactly would emigres manage to take power?
Botched Great Purge like the usual? Dunno, but this would take foreign intervention just like the Confederate's 2nd ACW

Reactions: