HoI4 Dev Teasers (previously Podcat's Twitter Teasers)

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
It's usually not this early in the day
Hmm, yeah, my fault. It's almost 8 PM here in UTC+7, i forgot he posted on 6-7 PM on UTC+2 (11-12 PM on UTC+7)

Jumping in here with a comment and some quotes, but I believe that any commercial game will run up against the dilemma that Tactics, Operations & Strategy are "FUN", BUT LOGISTICS, which determine the ultimate winner is Not..

One Paper and cardboard counter game that tried to simulate this: SPI's "Campaign in North Africa" was Ok but did not garner many sales.

I know that quotes are suspect, but they tend to point the way.

"Amateurs talk about tactics, but professionals study logistics."
- Gen. Robert H. Barrow, USMC (Commandant of the Marine Corps) noted in 1980

"Clearly, logistics is the hard part of fighting a war."
- Lt. Gen. E. T. Cook, USMC, November 1990

"Gentlemen, the officer who doesn't know his communications and supply as well as his tactics is totally useless."
- Gen. George S. Patton, USA

"Bitter experience in war has taught the maxim that the art of war is the art of the logistically feasible."
- ADM Hyman Rickover, USN

"Forget logistics, you lose."
- Lt. Gen. Fredrick Franks, USA, 7th Corps Commander, Desert Storm

"I am tempted to make a slightly exaggerated statement: that logistics is all of war-making, except shooting the guns, releasing the bombs, and firing the torpedoes."
- ADM Lynde D. McCormick, USN

"Because of my wartime experience, I am insistent on the point that logistics know-how must be maintained, that logistic is second to nothing in importance in warfare, that logistic training must be widespread and thorough..."
- VADM Robert B. Carney, USN

"My logisticians are a humorless lot ... they know if my campaign fails, they are the first ones I will slay."
- Alexander

• 3Like
Reactions:
Can't speak for Black Ice, but Total War manages this quite nicely. Although it certainly takes quite a bit of jerry-rigging to accomplish, it shows that the already existing mechanics of Hoi4 are enough to model reliably ""authentic"" results, with creative wiggle room. It's just that, in Vanilla these mechanics are employed in an often poor and unbalanced way.
Total War manages it poorly, like most of "historical" mods - not via generic mechanics, but via crazy events with mega bonuses/maluses for historical operations.

Reactions:
1620742774569.png

Who is it?

• 1Like
Reactions:
  • 11Haha
Reactions:
Yes Estonian communist Jaan Anvelt. But he lived in the Soviet Union, so this might be a Baltic states teaser or actually the long awaited Soviet tree.

(I am really scared that if the we get the Baltic states there will be a decision to re-found the Teutonic order and then an achievment conquer Russia as the Teutonic order)

• 12Like
Reactions:
Will each Baltic country get it's own tree, or will they get shared warlord trees, or are they just getting some touch ups but no tree?

In one of the DD threads, a dev hinted that something as big as a Soviet FT would be revealed at PDXcon only, not beforehand. So i guess it will be Baltics, probably partially shared stuff like the chinese warlords.

• 1Like
Reactions: