HoI4 Dev Teasers (previously Podcat's Twitter Teasers)

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Can we get some Ship Designer upgrades as well? It's missing some kind of big things imo. Man The Guns is also kind of broken guys fyi with regards to loading a save game I think. And the naval OOB needs a huge overhaul. Already done by the community on here just needs implemented.

If you're adding a Land Vehicle Designer you should add Assault Guns as a type which the Germans used heavily (Soviets somewhat). Only used during WW2 really. They are a distinct class of vehicle.
https://t.co/x2X0q7Enxz?amp=1

Reactions:
I'll still hope it's a designer company overhaul where you must spend time and civilian factories (or get help from ally) to upgrade your manufacturing capabilities, so you don't manufacture tanks as a country that never had any, or have anyone produce more ships than UK or US, or more tanks than US or Soviets. Cast vs rolled, riveted vs welded isn't a choice, it's something you just have to put up with or heavily invest in to change.
that would be so much better than a MtG-style tank designer. Honestly, though I'm OK with MtG's system now, having that kind of designer for equipment, instead of units, doesn't make a lot of sense. on ships, the individual weapons operate differently; you have some which attack screens, some which attack subs, some which attack capitals, some which attack planes, etc. but unless they're completely overhauling battles themselves, this will just be a big complex designer for something which boils down to trading breakthrough and attack for speed and reliability. you won't be changing HOW your tanks fight, just their stats, which the current designer is fine for.

• 1Like
Reactions:
that would be so much better than a MtG-style tank designer. Honestly, though I'm OK with MtG's system now, having that kind of designer for equipment, instead of units, doesn't make a lot of sense. on ships, the individual weapons operate differently; you have some which attack screens, some which attack subs, some which attack capitals, some which attack planes, etc. but unless they're completely overhauling battles themselves, this will just be a big complex designer for something which boils down to trading breakthrough and attack for speed and reliability. you won't be changing HOW your tanks fight, just their stats, which the current designer is fine for.

Man The Guns is a good concept but the execution needs works. It's missing some big things and needs some tweaks to be more realistic. Doesn't need to be as detailed as the Naval Rework Mod II but still needs some work. And then there's that huge bug with naval production I think.

And there's the existing naval issues that bother me a lot, where one ship with high spotting is better a whole bunch because of the math.

And a Fleet's anti-air barely contributes to the Fleet's defense. Even when the Fleet is physically together and with good Positioning. Which causes a meta to be stacking ridiculous AA on a single big ship that gets targeted by enemy aircraft. Instead of the realistic and historical route of lots of AA spread across the Fleet in formation. Also is missing is the American proximity fuze technology which was absolutely devastating. The atom bomb of ammunition basically. Aircraft attacking from multiple cardinal directions and multiple aircraft types should reduce Fleet anti-air effectiveness. Also higher numbers of aircraft should reduce Fleet AA effectiveness.

Huge: Huff-duff is missing. You can't build realistic submarines mid-late war because of the way the designer is setup. Some countries are missing their Cruiser Submarine access. Carrier combat is way too simple. Basically pointless to put dive bombers on a Carrier. There should be 3 distinct classes of Carriers. Torpedo and Dive bombers each had their distinct role in Carrier combat.

• 6Like
Reactions:
All I know is I have my popcorn ready for tomorrow’s diary. If people were that excited about Poland I can’t WAIT to see what tomorrow brings.

• 8Haha
  • 3Like
Reactions:
All I know is I have my popcorn ready for tomorrow’s diary. If people were that excited about Poland I can’t WAIT to see what tomorrow brings.
Sadly, I have a feeling this may be even worse when they show off the Soviet reworked focus tree. I think tomorrow will not be that bad, or at least not as bad as last, week it will still be another DD for the moderators to...well, moderate.

• 2Like
Reactions:
To all those excited for a possible tank designer in the dev diary, this is going to be pretty sweet :) To all those who are not excited for a possible tank designer in the dev diary, look on the bright side: there's no part three to the Polish focus tree ;)
....and that's where you are wrong. They have been keeping the polish focus where Poland annexes and cores all countries for part 3.

• 2Haha
Reactions:
....and that's where you are wrong. They have been keeping the polish focus where Poland annexes and cores all countries for part 3.
I look forward to when "the plan" is complete, and there is one of those focuses for every country except Germany, USSR and Britain.

Reactions:
personally I think that some unfairly went overboard with the work done by the developer of the alternative part of the Polish rework which in general is in line with other alternative paths that have been done in the other approach trees and how everything can be modified before they release the final version with the new dlc

Reactions:
the alternative part of the Polish rework which in general is in line with other alternative paths
Well yes, but actually no. Unlike in other countries, monarchism in Poland was practically not possible in 1936. Much more plausible would be focuses centered about Ukrainians and Belarusians, but those were ignored. Imagine German focus path centered about going Kaisereich, but without any focus path with Danzig!

(Un)fortunately, we cannot tell what made people the most upset, because those comments were probably moderated out.

Reactions:
Well yes, but actually no. Unlike in other countries, monarchism in Poland was practically not possible in 1936.
The approaches to a pro-monarchical path in Poland are as implausible as France did in their rework as reviving the Byzantine empire in the Greek as other things of the sort

and for a long time I have developed them by making the decision to insert all the possible ideologies in all the trees without thinking about the degree of plausibility

• 2Like
Reactions:
Well yes, but actually no. Unlike in other countries, monarchism in Poland was practically not possible in 1936. Much more plausible would be focuses centered about Ukrainians and Belarusians, but those were ignored. Imagine German focus path centered about going Kaisereich, but without any focus path with Danzig!

(Un)fortunately, we cannot tell what made people the most upset, because those comments were probably moderated out.
Most comments are still there. It's just there's A LOT that made people upset.

And it wasn't just the ''implausible paths'' it's that the ''implausible paths'' were made even more implausible (''Cossack king'', which was also accompanied by a comment from the devs that ''there were A lot of other candidates...'' which makes me wonder... why didn't you go for anyone else...)

And there was a severe lack of more plausible paths, as the ones that could have been plausible were also made implausible... (Polish Communists smushed together with Democracy, and then having access to colonialist options...)

Not to mention the ''don't think about it too hard'' comment was... not a good idea, emphasizing the implausibility of the Polish GiE having access to a nuclear reactor...

• 1Haha
Reactions: