HoI4 Dev Teasers (previously Podcat's Twitter Teasers)

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
To be honest yes, I feel the new French tree... empty. I mean, if I take a look on DLC trees, specifically US or the future spanish tree, they're expanded and with a lot of flavour. They're even tied to decisions and new mechanics (the Congress for example). The new french tree is just the vanilla tree expanded a bit, with a Vichy France addition.

Feels like it's because one is designed by Archangel and the other by Bratyn, the same thing happened for MTG with the US vs UK tree.

To be honest yes, I feel the new French tree... empty. I mean, if I take a look on DLC trees, specifically US or the future spanish tree, they're expanded and with a lot of flavour. They're even tied to decisions and new mechanics (the Congress for example). The new french tree is just the vanilla tree expanded a bit, with a Vichy France addition.
Yeah, but to be fair...Spain is in a much more complex situation than France.

That No Pasaran focus art is the best one yet

I didn't expect some complex tree for both "countries". I hoped that was a common focus tree with the two options, nacionalist and republicans. But "the love" of this focus trees makes me I'll buy this DLC for the first day. I didn't expect this work for Spain.

I hope every focus tree rework has the same level of detail.

While I think the military focus tree of France could be expanded I don't think the political side needs to be more beefy or with tons more of flavour. What I think France needs and it was teased by Archangel is tons of events to represent the pre-war political instability, so for example if you decide to support Republican Spain you get some backlash from the far right

While I think the military focus tree of France could be expanded I don't think the political side needs to be more beefy or with tons more of flavour. What I think France needs and it was teased by Archangel is tons of events to represent the pre-war political instability, so for example if you decide to support Republican Spain you get some backlash from the far right
This does seem to be Archangel's signature, the US also has varied events and decisions depending on what path you take.
I think the issue some people (like myself) take with France and the US focus trees is the seemingly arbitrary balancing decisions (MAGIC/OSS locked behind early intervention AND mutually exclusive, France only having three research slots, etc.)

Turkey could make for an interesting alternative history for the timeframe, especially if it goes Axis.

Should both the French and British Mandates be their own countries?

This does seem to be Archangel's signature, the US also has varied events and decisions depending on what path you take.
I think the issue some people (like myself) take with France and the US focus trees is the seemingly arbitrary balancing decisions (MAGIC/OSS locked behind early intervention AND mutually exclusive, France only having three research slots, etc.)

The issues I have with the US tree are:
  • congress mechanic is shallow in the early game and irrelevant in the mid/late game, yet you are spammed with congress events. Would have been much better to find ways so that having the congress support is useful throughout the game, beyond the meager decisions you can take to boost research. I tried an Elite playthrough to see if the slower PP gain would make the congress more strategic, alas not.
  • the two democratic branches (gold standard, new deal) are not differentiated from a gameplay perspective; it's the same bonus with marginally different values
  • limited intervention and neutrality act don't actually work because even with the neutrality act, you can join the war in September 39 by joining the allies
  • the war plans part of the tree is almost useless; why would you ever, as the most powerful country, spend 70 days to get a limited-time bonus against say the Raj? Even after doing the civil war, you're not sufficiently weakened to make those focus relevant

Really? I have the exact opposite opinion about the United States tree. Congress is a interesting mechanic, for sure. However, the national focus tree isn’t nearly as interesting as the Dutch or Mexican trees. You can tell that those two trees were a labor of love.

Turkey could make for an interesting alternative history for the timeframe, especially if it goes Axis.

Should both the French and British Mandates be their own countries?

Not really sure. Going Fascist outright maybe. Going Axis, or even Allies? eh, not so much.
While both sides were doing business with them and both sides were giving them weapons, it was generally noted by both sides that Turkey flipping either way would be more of a benefit to other. If Turkey flipped, the other side would have to invade, because they needed to Chromium (and a couple other resources). The problem was, Turkey's military was in such bad shape that it would not last very long against Axis or Allies and would create a serious situation with, whoever got Turkey, would not have to flood the country with troops to defend it against a very aggressive enemy who could not afford to let other get all the goodies, much less get cut off themselves.

Both sides knew it, both sides knew the other side knew it, and both sides kinda let Turkey be Turkey, as long as they their half. Neither could afford opening such a broad and expansive front that would have to be nearly entirely fought with their own troops.

Even in the game, it could easily play out that way as well. It's really better for both axis, allies *and* Comintern to let Turkey be Turkey instead of fighting that war for them.

It's why i never invade Turkey as Italy. it's a nice buffer from the Allies and SU. I fight that war Im now on both their front doors. Just keep giving me my Chromium, please.

Now, going fascist and and attacking their weak neighbors as their own faction, that could interesting.

I think 5-6 even popups and decisions with no major effect would really improve the civil war event in the US, but I think that discussion is a bit offtopic in this thread.

Not really sure. Going Fascist outright maybe. Going Axis, or even Allies? eh, not so much.
While both sides were doing business with them and both sides were giving them weapons, it was generally noted by both sides that Turkey flipping either way would be more of a benefit to other. If Turkey flipped, the other side would have to invade, because they needed to Chromium (and a couple other resources). The problem was, Turkey's military was in such bad shape that it would not last very long against Axis or Allies and would create a serious situation with, whoever got Turkey, would not have to flood the country with troops to defend it against a very aggressive enemy who could not afford to let other get all the goodies, much less get cut off themselves.

Both sides knew it, both sides knew the other side knew it, and both sides kinda let Turkey be Turkey, as long as they their half. Neither could afford opening such a broad and expansive front that would have to be nearly entirely fought with their own troops.

Even in the game, it could easily play out that way as well. It's really better for both axis, allies *and* Comintern to let Turkey be Turkey instead of fighting that war for them.

It's why i never invade Turkey as Italy. it's a nice buffer from the Allies and SU. I fight that war Im now on both their front doors. Just keep giving me my Chromium, please.

Now, going fascist and and attacking their weak neighbors as their own faction, that could interesting.

Perhaps their mission tree can consist of trying to get benefits from all sides in a balanced way without falling into political debt to the axis, allies, or the Comintern. Too much from one side would block out the other and could cripple the country where they have no choice but to commit to the side.

Additionally at the same time, other focuses can be about improving the country and expanding into neighboring areas at the right time. Doing it too early against the Mandates or Iraq will lock you out of getting benefits from the Allies. Doing it against the Balkans will lock you out of the Axis and maybe Allies depending on the year.

It would be a focus tree of timing and gambles.

08.10.19 Sonderkraftfahrzeug
https://twitter.com/podcat_paradox/status/1181605044917063680

wBd2i.jpg

It's armored cars.

I think it is logical that they touch on the issue of recognition because it is currently too abstract and it does not differentiate at all the different types of recognition that there was during II Gm, especially the motorized and the non-motorized