HoI4 Dev Teasers (previously Podcat's Twitter Teasers)

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Iirc, they threw the window for "summer", so it could be anywhere between July and September.
That's a pretty long wait, especially since that's hopefully going to be the real release of MtG in a playable state.
It was "BEFORE summer".

The frontline issues really are unfortunate. I am one of the people who actually likes the new features 1.6/MTG added. It'd be great if I was actually able to enjoy them. What's worse is we don't even know whether or not 1.7 is going to address the problem in any meaningful way.

Last edited:
The frontline issues really are unfortunate. I am one of the people who actually enjoys the new features 1.6/MTG added. It'd be great if I was actually able to enjoy them. What's worse is we don't even know whether or not 1.7 is going to address the problem in any meaningful way.
Agree. They need to specifically address this with some type of time table fix. If it is going to take a long time so be it but something definitive should be stated.

Paradox doesn't care to finally bring a product i paid for in a properly working state in a timely fashion ?
Well, i don't care to buy anything from this company until they do ...
Easy as that.

Reactions:
The frontline issues really are unfortunate. I am one of the people who actually enjoys the new features 1.6/MTG added. It'd be great if I was actually able to enjoy them.
Yeah, I feel the same.
As far as playability is concerned, the de facto release of MtG is going to be with 1.7.

What's worse is we don't even know whether or not 1.7 is going to address the problem in any meaningful way.
I can only hope that this is the highest of their highest priorities right now.
It sure is much more important than porting to 64-bits, at the very least.

Welp, and there goes my slim hope of a 1.6.3.
I guess I'll just have to wait for 1.7 to actually play the game again.
I suppose that means more time for Imperator.
“Nahhhhhhh man who cares about fixing our product and AI functionality at this juncture in time. We got DLC to plan for so you can throw us more money!” - paradox interactive

Iirc, they threw the window for "summer", so it could be anywhere between July and September.
That's a pretty long wait, especially since that's hopefully going to be the real release of MtG in a playable state.
You recall incorrectly.
If all goes according to plan the very rough timeline is that 1.7 happens before summer at some point but 1.8 is large (together with expansion) and takes longer.

Being a software developer myself (but not a game dev), I wonder if the issues with frontlines & AI shuffling are something that is just not patchable in the short term.

Frequently you do find yourself in scenario's where continued patching of something just never seems to fix the issue. Sometimes you have to take a step back and completely re-evaluate the feature as a whole. Those decisions are important and can take a lot of time to come a decision.

It wouldn't surprise me if PDX have identified that continued patching isn't going to make the frontline AI work and that they need to take a step back and rebuild/re-evaluate how that code works. They might not even know right now if that's a viable approach, hence why they haven't communicated more info yet.

Also it's not really possible to just "roll back to 1.5.4" as clearly the addition of fuel has required a lot of AI work and has fundamentally changed the AI.

I agree that it sucks that the AI frontline isn't good in 1.6.2, but personally I have faith that PDX know that it's a major issue and that they will be addressing it in 1.7. I wouldn't surprise me if a non-DLC 1.7 is a reaction to this issue (+ GER stomping everyone atm).

Finally, everyone has the right to be disappointed in the current state of the game if they want. I think it's disingenuous to accuse PDX of money grabbing when they clearly stated 1.7 is a balance update (as opposed to an expansion) and that "front line stability" is on their roadmap,

I agree that it sucks that the AI frontline isn't good in 1.6.2, but personally I have faith that PDX know that it's a major issue and that they will be addressing it in 1.7. I wouldn't surprise me if a non-DLC 1.7 is a reaction to this issue (+ GER stomping everyone atm).
Yeah, it is just self-harming if they don't address the AI in the big patch.
“Nahhhhhhh man who cares about fixing our product and AI functionality at this juncture in time. We got DLC to plan for so you can throw us more money!” - paradox interactive
1.7 IS NOT a DLC patch.
Agree. They need to specifically address this with some type of time table fix. If it is going to take a long time so be it but something definitive should be stated.
If they don't know how they are going to fix it, then they are not going to be able to honestly state an ETA of the fix. That is why they put it as one of their goals.
Finally, everyone has the right to be disappointed in the current state of the game if they want. I think it's disingenuous to accuse PDX of money grabbing when they clearly stated 1.7 is a balance update (as opposed to an expansion) and that "front line stability" is on their roadmap,
Yeah, it gets annoying and I can now understand why the Devs avoid discussing issues such as these on the public forum, as they know they would just be ignored and flamed.

Last edited:
There's a big difference between "buggy" and "virtually unplayable".
Unfortunately, the frontline issue puts HoI4 in the latter category, which is a damn shame because that wasn't the case before 1.6.
All PDX games are buggy to a degree, but that never stopped people from playing them, I don't think they'll start now with Imperator, and that was true even for HOI4 and the infamous NAV issue pre-1.6.
People said the game was unplayable in 1.5 because of the carrier bug. People said the game was unplayable in 1.4 about the Yugoslav tree. In 1.3 people said the fact that spearheads were in the DLC made it unplayable without.

I literally quit the game in 1.5 because of the carrier bug. I have had many great games in single player since 1.6. Yet I wouldn’t say that 1.5 was unplayable, as there were plenty of ways I could have played to minimize the impact of the bug.

In fact, I feel 1.6 is certainly the most playable version yet. It is the first version where the major broken thing is not a core game mechanic. What this means is that in multiplayer, we have a perfectly working game. Even in single player the AI is just bad, and I compensate by playing weak nations or trying unconventional strategies. In fact, I find that more fun than my normal play. But the core game runs like a charm.

People like to say ‘the game is unplayable’ for the sake of saying it, at this point. When ‘unplayable’ becomes a rhetorical term for a bad bug, it just loses all of its meaning.

Yet I wouldn’t say that 1.5 was unplayable, as there were plenty of ways I could have played to minimize the impact of the bug.
That's what I think of that bug as well.
In all previous patches, I was of the thought that the game wasn't actually unplayable, and these were inconveniences that could very well be remedied, but not this time.

My opinion is the complete opposite of yours on this one, this is the worst state the game has been since I bought it after TfV.
The game is not unplayable without spearhead; Yugoslavia joining the Axis slightly breaks historicity but there were even mods addressing that perfectly fine; as you said, the carrier bug can be minimized.
But this one, this patch leaves only Japan and the USSR in playable state of the majors.
The Axis goes unopposed in the east and the Allies have a hard deadline of late '42 at most to take Germany down.
Doable, sure, but hardly fun and engaging.

It is the first version where the major broken thing is not a core game mechanic.
You mean the AI is not core enough?
If you enjoy multiplayer and minors, that's absolutely fine, but breaking 5/7 majors in the process is as far away from playable the game's ever been.
For the first time there's no remedy, the Eastern front simply melts away to the Germans, and there's nothing you can do about it.
Playing a game with the AI off and you setting the orders yourself and then leaving them would be much more effective.

I cannot speak for everyone, but as long as something as basic as the AI holding a line can't be done, I'll be putting the game away, nevermind buying future DLCs.
Don't get me wrong though, there's no ill will towards the devs, and I have all my faith in them for at least alleviating this in 1.7, but that will remain to be seen.
That said though, I can't help but feel disheartened that I won't be able to experience the expansion I bought and looked so much forward to play for another few months.

My humble opinion - game is NOT unplayable, it's quite playable.

I have seen a lot of grand strategy games and this problem with 1.6.3 is far from the worst.

Take a look at the new Civilization DLC, it was such a crap on the release date (and perhaps still is) and it's a triple A game with a huge studio.

Correct me if I am wrong, but HOI4 is being developed by like 12 guys.

Considering everything - game is fine and devs are doing a great job, lets cut them some slack and wait for the 1.7.

Beta probably will come maybe even this month.

The front shuffling happens when something changes. Dow Finland, shuffle everything. NAP with Japan, shuffle everything. Load game while Germany is justifying on you, shuffle everything. Germany dow you, shuffle everything.

When GER dow SOV the SOV AI abandons the Romanian border and then later when Romania is called it tries to compensate by sending troops from other parts of the front to cover the recently abandoned parts. This leads to 2/3 of the SOV divisions being on the move and with low org.

If you are playing as Germany and don't mind the immersion breaking you can dow and then wait two months before attacking. It is a bit silly, but maybe it can help some people play the game while waiting for 1.7 which is promised before summer.

Also it's not really possible to just "roll back to 1.5.4" as clearly the addition of fuel has required a lot of AI work and has fundamentally changed the AI.
I remember this problem wasn't present in 1.6.0 though, it only appeared in the 1.6.1 patch or the 1.6.2 BETA. It seems fuel wasn't connected to causing this issue.

I think 6.6 is a realistic date, its the anniversary of HoI, they usually do a small patch around that time anyways so maybe they do a rework of the Polish tree and a lot of bugfixes.