HoI4 Dev Teasers (previously Podcat's Twitter Teasers)

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Finally we get to see how sub warfare will work. As this was the weakest part of the naval game IMO, this could be amazing or just a bit disappointing..... place your bets now!

My bets:

positive:
- only Sub_attack / depthcharges harm submarines now
- Systems as a whole will work now (broken before)

negative:
- airplanes will not differ between sub_attack and naval_attack (but thats ok, because the game has no Differentiation between subhunting recon planes and naval bomber, but would be nice for modders)

positive:
Hmm, it's really tricky. One of the most successful submarine attack methods was to go in on the surface at night, because that made you harder to spot with asdic (sonar) while also being a very small visual target, hard to spot with radar in the 'clutter' of a crowded convoy. With this sort of attack, one of the most dangerous attacks on a sub was to ram it! So - interested to see how it works, but it's a tricky area.

negative:
- airplanes will not differ between sub_attack and naval_attack (but thats ok, because the game has no Differentiation between subhunting recon planes and naval bomber, but would be nice for modders)
That in itself doesn't worry me much; usually the 'planes carrying depth charges were also capable of bombing lone ships, although they seldom carried both munition loads simultaneously. The real win, perhaps, would be a "mission design" system for modders. Something that lets you define an air mission in terms of viable targets, reconnaissance value, possible boosts to attack and defence values... As an example, you could differentiate bombing missions by altitude, with defence against ground-based AA and air defence fighters being quite different for low compared to high altitude missions. The ability to make specific aircraft types eligible for specific missions would then be gravy! Altitude was a major strategic development point in the war, with high altitude planes being developed and munitions to allow (reasonably safe) low level bombing to be carried out being advanced all the time.

My bets:

positive:
- Systems as a whole will work now (broken before)

negative:

Didn't they already comfirm that the only way to attack a sub in game will be depth charges?

Didn't they already comfirm that the only way to attack a sub in game will be depth charges?
No, you can also use Faith and Mana, but these are for a future diary.

Since WWII subs subs surfaced practically 100 percent of the time, it makes sense that planes and even ships should be able to take "pot shots" at them if they catch them by surprise, getting a chance to do some damage before the sub crash dives.

Oh well, we'll see what the SS DD has to say.

As an example, you could differentiate bombing missions by altitude, with defence against ground-based AA and air defence fighters being quite different for low compared to high altitude missions. The ability to make specific aircraft types eligible for specific missions would then be gravy! Altitude was a major strategic development point in the war, with high altitude planes being developed and munitions to allow (reasonably safe) low level bombing to be carried out being advanced all the time.
Yeah, I hope in a future air re-rework, they give attention to altitude.
That, the lack of a reconnaissance mission and the role of heavy fighters (or lack thereof) are the main flaws of the system right now imo.
Perhaps if they ever get around to working on an aircraft designer, they might do that.

Will I need to upgrade my ASDIC system to find the submarine diary? Can't see it among the surfaced threads.

Will I need to upgrade my ASDIC system to find the submarine diary? Can't see it among the surfaced threads.
Maybe you could post it one more time for good measure? :p

Maybe you could post it one more time for good measure? :p
You misunderstand - he posted it only once. The echoes were from submerged hulls, lurking beneath the forum waters...

I think I found your secret to upping your messages count.

hm so no release before mid February.
- Still no music, 2D and 3D art, achievements
- great power mechanics
- they wanted to show off fuel again
- probably another DD on modding
- summary DD.

Winter holidays in Sweden are rather long and than there all these issues still to cover. Also they still have a lot of generic generals and ministers portraits missing 2D art and probably 3D art. So I don't see them dropping it in January. Would mean 11 months between DLC that is quite a long time. I hope after this they switch to a 6 month schedule.

18.12 Tour de Pays-Bas
Link

Desktop 18-12-2018 17-20-05-256.png

Those Krauts might want to stay away from those fearless bycicles battalions.

Now seriously, I suppose that if we have a graphics/music dev diary tomorrow realease should be in early January.

So the Dutch are getting their bicycle battalions now. In WW2 the Finns were probably the biggest users of bicycles in combat after the Japanese, so I hope Finland will get them too when the time comes for the appropriate DLC.