HoI4 Dev Teasers (previously Podcat's Twitter Teasers)

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
While I disagree with PDX direction considering the alt-history, I can accept the fact they are in the business of making money and that even if I will never delve deeply into the alt-NFs, I will pay for them to support the continued development of the base-game.

We are in agreement of the PDX going in the wrong direction @Robosoldier1, but I disagree with you blasting Shaka or the likes of him for being filthy casual meme-players when A) Shaka WANTS historical gameplay and B) you and I both know that the kind of players you accuse Shaka of being are NOT the kind to register an account on the PDX-forum to discuss the current meta or other issues.

Let's try to channel our disappointment in a more constructive manner and not accuse people of being something they're not (especially when they agree with us) before we become as beloved as the MP-elitists of the forum.
Well put,

and to reiterate to all;
bashing people because they have a different opinion is so very unacceptable on the Paradox forum. Everyone is welcome to offer constructive feedback / criticism all they want but once people delve into mudslinging for the sake of mudslinging / trollish behavior, and they do not learn from the feedback they receive previously from such behavior, unfortunately bad things happen to them.

Handing over any stuff to Italy except perhaps the French Northafrican possessions or some parts in Vichy France I see as very unlikely given how Italy didn't attack Into Egypt until September 1940, and it went very very badly for them with 133'000 Italians taken prisoner in Operation Compass, and the Italian lines getting pushed back all the way past Benghazi by Feb 1941.

At this point in the war the Italians were losing... so UK giving up Suez and Egypt to them would make zero sense. It was Germany that needed that peace, not UK.

Talking July 1940 here. The sentiment for peace in certain parts of the British cabinet and ruling class was strong, and would've been much stronger had the BEF been captured and used as a bargaining chip by the Germans. But yes, it's possible the concessions wouldn't have been that extensive, even with Italy being the mediator.

[Does anyone have access to the actual terms, assuming they were defined, on offer in July 1940, all I have been able to find is a very general description of them being 'generous' as far as the UK is concerned].

See here. Yes, it's a post by someone but the sources he's quoting are all legitimate.

This might also be interesting: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/May_1940_War_Cabinet_Crisis

Alt-history is flashy and can seem bigger than it really is

When only 2 out of the 70 new focuses PDX showed us today in the UK dev diary are not alt-history, it's no wonder it might "seem" that way.

Last edited:
In terms of mechanics, absolutely. In terms of content, not so much. The UK is getting one change (a welcome one) in terms of timing of rearmament. However, the first post after the dev diary contains something that would be even better for improving plausible alt-history. (credit to @Ironside121)

Did Paradox not know about this? Did you guys know but think it too farfetched (which would be incredibly ironic)? Did you know but not implement it because you instead spent your time implementing Communist and Fascist UK? This is the kind of stuff I'm talking about. I'm happy to see it will at least be looked into but it's telling that, even though there have been threads about it, mods have implemented it, and it was a fairly notable event, it's only after someone brings it up in a dev diary after we have this elaborate Communist and Fascist UK setup that it's even considered.

You also reference Kaiserreich, and I would encourage you to examine the depth of the world there, which is a point @Robosoldier1 made earlier. The KR devs go through great lengths to explain the world as it is, and why it is that way. The base game doesn't. There has been some improvement from release, but still one can't help but wonder if historical paths are more unpopular because it's just assumed that players understand what's happening, so the flavor and background just isn't there for those who aren't as well-versed in history. It takes more than a paragraph mousing over France's national spirits to understand what's happening in France. I'm not asking for dissertation-level analysis in-game, but maybe something explaining what the Maginot Line is for people who don't know, why France has so few military factories for a major nation, or who all these key individuals are and what their motivations may be. WWII knowledge is quite lacking among many people, and constructing a compelling world with a few informational and orienting events here and there beyond "The Hindenburg Blew Up" would go a long way towards immersion.

Never thought about this, but seeing the numbers HoI4 is delivering, it's pretty safe to say that the market doesn't exclusively consist of History enthusiasts. As such, new players of HoI franchise are probably less knowledgeable about WW2. The game could serve as an educational platform for those players if more explanatory flavour was added (events á la HoI3 BICE, maybe less intrusive tho). Even previous fans could use it, I learned so much myself about WW2 in this forum. @Archangel85 isn't divulgation a dream of every Historian?

When only 2 out of the 70 new focuses PDX showed us today in the UK dev diary are not alt-history, it's no wonder it might "seem" that way.

Naturally everything will be alt history when their aim only is to add alt history to a tree where they "left the base tree largely intact" for the historical parts that already are there.

This not really any surprise just like last DD on fuel didn't have much alt history in it...

I also would argue that you are getting some pretty damn juicy bones in Man the Guns, some of them even being free. Alt-history is flashy and can seem bigger than it really is, but I would argue that all of our DLCs so far have included things to make the historical experience deeper and more accurate. It seems to me at times that the mere existence of the alt-history stuff is seen as tainting the rest of the game, and I honestly don't understand that.
I think it's quite easy to understand the negative sentiment against alt-history from the people that want primarily game mechanics to be improved. Even that sentiment is there for the wrong reasons. The usual order in which you present them, alt-history is before mechanics (Yes, we had fuel DD, but it was quite vague). It's more flashy and easier to show off (or get to a state in which it can be even shown). Mechanics are harder to implement and test properly. Core mechanics are a pain to balance.

And don't get me wrong, I want engaging and well thought out mechanics first and I am pretty indifferent to "wild" alt-history, I am more of historically-plausible guy. But I can fully understand the reasons for PDS to focus on alt-history, both from a financial and project management perspective. And by focus I mean devote I'd guess probably around 50% of the content design time to it. Fifty percent of (if I have my data right) two people's time from a ~10 person team.

One other thing to consider is that you know (roughly) what will be included in the patch and DLC while the public doesn't. It's much harder to understand something you don't know ;)

Thanks for credit there @hkrommel

The reason I really want the Imperial Conference in the game is for alt-history and flavour- and I'm not all that keen on alt-history if I'm being honest. I loathed Kaiserreich when I last played it- it was pretty much a Civil War simulator :p

Anyway- about the Conference- I believe it's the best way to add in alt-history. I love the "what-if" scenarios that come from simply making a different decision- such as the British deciding to rearm earlier and do more to harm Germany earlier( like the Road to 56 tree has) or if the Commonwealth or League of Nations had decided to intervene with Mussolini's invasion of Abyssinia- which my own Prime Minister had urged the rest of the Commonwealth to do. Or perhaps a focus on defending against Japan rather than focusing on Germany after the war had begun- leading to a much different Barbarossa outcome possibly with no D-Day in the game(this is the kind of strategic choice we can make in the game).

I'm not a fan of things like the Second ACW or a Communist Japan, it's just too far fetched for my liking, and as such I won't play them. However, @Bratyn was very polite on the Dev Diary and seemed open to new ideas, which is excellent for us as he's heavily involved in the design of the Focus Trees. He did say he'd look into it if he has the time I believe- and that's all I can ask for.

I'll probably bump my own thread on the Conference just so those who care can see it, with a little comment about how Bratyn may have the time to add a little something extra in there for flavor :)

As had been said before, the notion that Germany could ever win the war is preposterous, and at least as 'implausible' as the other alt-history paths we implement. Yet I never see anyone complain about this.

I have actually, I've made at least two posts to tune of suggesting an implementation of victory conditions for MP where Axis victory is pegged to historical performance (did you capitulate before of after 5/8/45 as Germany?). Thus balance should be towards Germany living past 5/8/45 50% of the time and falling short 50% of the time with them winning outright maybe 10 or so % of the times they live past RL performance.

But people do certainly seem okay with Axis outperforming reality.

But civil wars errupting without player intervention is Victoria's territory, not ours.

Victoria 3 confirmed!

OK - back to your debate now :p

Sorry, couldn't help myself. I've only been 'glancing' over this, but in case it hasn't been mentioned, it's worth noting that there are some players that like a game that can handle historical and alt-history. Personally, I really enjoy playing a historical game, but I also enjoy a good game in ahistorical mode where things can go all over the shop - it's a good strategic challenge adapting to what's going on.

This is true to an extent, but I'm sure we can all agree a Second American Civil War is utterly absurd.

No, I don't think we can agree to that, since to be honest, in my eyes it is not at all absurd. Quite improbable to be sure, but not absurd. It would have required quite a lot of stirring from outside sources that managed to keep it secret, but still it might have been possible.

outside sources that managed to keep it secret, but still it might have been possible.

If those outside sources were literal martians or moon nazis from the "Solar System Invasion" DLC then maybe.

If those outside sources were literal martians or moon nazis from the "Solar System Invasion" DLC then maybe.
Huey Long being an alien confirmed!

Looks like a letter from a country name. Perhaps Fascist AMERIKA. That might lead to new USA focus tree????
Really just guessing but even this would seem to obvious and would it be done while they're vacation???

K is for Kenya, Kenya is a colony, Bratyn said that the next dev diary would be about what made decolonisation possible which means initial colonisation which means...

Victoria 3 confirmed