HoI4 Dev Teasers (previously Podcat's Twitter Teasers)

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Shouldn't it be Benitus Augustus?

I'm not troubled by this. as @Aeon221 points out, Mussolini actually expressed his intent to do this. Seems fun to me and I don't really think a ton of resources were wasted. Probably just some ownership requirements of certain states and some minor bonus effects.

It's kind of like forming the HRE, once you've reached the point that you can take the decision, you've pretty much won anyway, so what is there to gripe about?

Well I'll cool my jets and see how they explain it tomorrow then.

Mussolini was explicit about his desire to recreate the Roman empire so this is actually a plausible path if you assume an Italy that is reasonably successful rather than imploding.
That was more of a propaganda stunt along the lines of: "look how great we were then, now we can be great again".

A victorious Italy would've remained Italy, Italians would've still been called Italians and so on. They wouldn't have renamed themselves Romans lol.

This is just memery and a waste of development resources. I know a few graphics changes and name lists doesn't require all that much work, but it's still time and resources that could've been used a lot wiser considering the current state of the game. This kind of stuff is best left to mods.

Reactions:
Mussolini was explicit about his desire to recreate the Roman empire so this is actually a plausible path if you assume an Italy that is reasonably successful rather than imploding.

I'm part of the "stick to plausible history" faction and I have no issues with it. Hell, my first game this patch will probably be a Roman Italian run just for the giggles.

He did not want a Roman Empire like that, not a Latin, monarchist Empire, he wanted an Italian, fascist “Roman” empire. He was a lunatic, just not in this way.

I hate it. Sorry paradox, but I really hate your Emu Empires and 20th Century Roman Empires. Love you in most ways, just not this one.

When Mussolini said that, I don't think he literally meant bringing back all the trappings of the Roman state. Did he plan gladiators, slavery, crucifictions, the worship of Juno and Jupiter?

Or did he just intend to conquer a bunch of land that the Roman Empire once held?

I guess this is parallel to the "Megali Idea = Greece tag switches to Byzantium" argument.

If you people hate alt-history that much. You might as well start remove the Axis potential to win the war.
There's a stark difference between "historically plausible" and "for the laughs".

Please remember. Content creators are not/may not be programmers.

Plenty of content mistakes in the base game that do not warrant a DLC to correct. Let's start by correcting the 1936 French and Finnish leaders for instance.

One thing I just noticed in the screenshot is that each army group has its own color, separate from that of its armies.

I never noticed this before in the previous chain of command screenshots, but I wasn't paying attention and haven't been watching the streams, so I'm pretty sure that's not new.

If you can't see the difference between "Hitler wins" and "Roman Empire" in terms of plausability I don't think there's much I can do for you.

Mussolini actually did declare that his Italy was the Roman Empire reborn, while Hitler was never even close to winning. So I guess what you mean is that this content is far more plausible than the Hitler wins content in which case I agree.

As far as naming units after Roman legions it is a little odd but whatever. Mussolini was a nut, it's totally plausible that he might have woken up one day and declared that henceforth the Italian army would use the historical legion names to inspire the troops.

Keep in mind that he pressed claims to various territories using Roman dominance of those regions as the pretext.

Germany would be renamed to the Greater Germanic Reich but knowing Paradox and their love of brain dead memes will call it the "Holy Roman Empire".
I'm fairly certain it would've remained Greater Germany (Großdeutsches Reich). The whole renaming to "Germanic" thing along with changing Berlin to "Welthaupstadt Germania" are just fictional themes from alt-history novels that have caught on to many alt-history productions. They actually have little to no basis in reality or historical German plans.

The Germans would've already had decades if not centuries worth of digesting to do with their new territories in the east. Annexing Germanic countries directly to the Reich wasn't necessary as they would already be under Berlin's leash through puppet governments and/or a common economic union, a kind of alternate version of the EU.

Last edited:
Mussolini actually did declare that his Italy was the Roman Empire reborn, while Hitler was never even close to winning. So I guess what you mean is that this content is far more plausible than the Hitler wins content in which case I agree.

As far as naming units after Roman legions it is a little odd but whatever. Mussolini was a nut, it's totally plausible that he might have woken up one day and declared that henceforth the Italian army would use the historical legion names to inspire the troops.

Keep in mind that he pressed claims to various territories using Roman dominance of those regions as the pretext.
His nuttiest move was adopting the goose step. Then claiming that it was how the legions marched.