HoI4 Dev Teasers (previously Podcat's Twitter Teasers)

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Back in May didn't the devs hint at something along the lines of at least having Finland be a part of the Eastern Front in NSB through decisions or the like?
I remember it being a suggestion from a user.

• 2Like
Reactions:
That would leave very little room for emergent gameplay. There are certain ai nudges that give it an incentive to do certain things, but if we make those too hard, the game goes mad if world history doesn't evolve as expected.
Though, as we are on the topic of world history evolving differently, only one major country is left for a rework and many new big mechanics have been introduced over the years, leaving only a handfull of systems untouched since release.

Do you see the possibility of going over most nations and mechanics, added or reworked in different patches, dlc's and versions, in order to create a more interacting and rounded-up system? This would obviously still leave room for more content additions however for now, while obviously certain small interactions between for example the focuses of countries exist, they are usually limited to countries and mechanics introduced in the same updates.

Pre-purchasing dropped on Steam, release date will be the 23rd November!

Pre-purchasing dropped on Steam, release date will be the 23rd November!

Interesting how it was told to be £20 yet I seem to see it being priced for £15.49 unless that's Steam simply dynamically pricing content.

• 1Like
Reactions:
At this moment €20 is £16.48.

they probably pegged their € to £ roe at an earlier date.

or maybe they decided the British have less purchasing power than those in the EU?

• 1Like
Reactions:
That's incredibly cheap for such a major DLC. Wonder if the price will rise once it's actually released.

That would leave very little room for emergent gameplay. There are certain ai nudges that give it an incentive to do certain things, but if we make those too hard, the game goes mad if world history doesn't evolve as expected.
But many players like myself don't want the war to develop randomly. We want a historical progression of the war with just maybe slight deviations. If a player wants the war to develop randomly they could turn the AI nudges off.

• 1Like
Reactions:
But many players like myself don't want the war to develop randomly. We want a historical progression of the war with just maybe slight deviations. If a player wants the war to develop randomly they could turn the AI nudges off.

At that point, it isn't really a game. Especially if you expect it to respond to actions such as those a player might present.

• 7Like
Reactions:
Isn't that what the Historical settings checkbox is for?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Especially if you expect it to respond to actions such as those a player might present.
This would be cool. Unfortunately this is not really true for Focus trees. The AI makes it choice which path to follow in a guided way (historical mode on) or completely random.

I mean really it would be sooo cool, if I e.g. would boost communism in Mexico and following this action it would take the communist path of its tree.

Or as Germany I boost relations to Turkey and they chose the Axis path

Etc etc

Honestly, with the amount of focus trees which are already in the game, it is quite unrealistic that AI focus tree path decisions will see some update :(

By that logic HOI4 is not a game because you already have a Historical Mode built into the Focus Tree system.
The Ai is scripted to deviate from historical focuses if you take certain focus paths -> particularly for Germany and it's ability to basically throw off the tempo of the game by going Oppose Hitler

• 3Like
Reactions:
A mechanic where a faction leader can tell ai allies which countries/geographical areas to target, would be far better than some heavily scripted event chain which requires my game to play out like a history book

Last edited:
Reactions:
By that logic HOI4 is not a game because you already have a Historical Mode built into the Focus Tree system.
Any grand strategy is a sandbox. Even with historical focuses, there are no guarantees how the war itself will play out. Any number of situations or actions can be taken by the player or the AI that sets off a parallel history. The butterfly effect, if you will.

Assign an unusually high number of troops to a frontline in Libya; see the opposing side counter by relocating a disproportionate number of their own. The sudden lack of troops in southern France causes a temporary absence of coastal defence, resulting in a successful invasion through Provence. Vichy falls a year early, free France is reinstated in 43, and suddenly nothing is remotely historical any more.

Let’s say we hardcoded the AI to make sure -never- to respond that way to high density African fronts, so that the game remains ‘historical’. You sweep through Africa with ease, wondering where on Earth Rommel is. The war in Africa ends up won a year early, and you are, again, no longer historical.

the kicker here, is that we -do- things like this in certain places. And in most cases, it results in the AI being called out on being bad, or simply inefficient. While it may produce a more ‘historical’ end-game map, it results in the player experience being all the poorer for it, and requires the player to do exactly what is expected, otherwise the system breaks down even further.

• 26Like
Reactions:
The game is ultimately not here to tell you a story, it’s here to let you tell one.

• 17Like
  • 4Love
Reactions: