• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

HOI4 Dev Diary - Yugoslavia and Romania

Hello and welcome to another developer diary for the 1.10 Collie patch!

Today we’re going to be focusing on some content coming with the patch that will add new content for owners of the Death or Dishonor expansion. Everything that follows will be accessible to DoD owners and will not be unlocked by purchasing Battle for the Bosporus. Some of you may already know this from the leaked screenshot on the Steam store, but Yugoslavia will be getting a light rework coming free with the patch for any owners of Death or Dishonor.
pasted image 0.png

When I originally joined full-time on the project, I was given a list of common complaints from the community regarding the content in Death or Dishonor. Most of these issues were trivial, but none had a longer list of complaints than Yugoslavia so it seemed right that instead of attempting to stitch together a series of minimal low-visibility fixes, it would be best to do a partial rework of the Yugoslavia tree.

This is not quite to the scale of previous major reworks, however. The first draft of changes began as something I worked on out of my free time, so I wanted to keep scope low and avoid creating too much extra work on top of the existing BftB content while improving the overall quality of the Yugoslavia tree to give players more options to explore both history and alt-history.

pasted image 0 (1).png

Let’s begin with the communist focuses, which have seen a little change. For a long time, Yugoslavia was able to branch off and make its own faction with itself, Bulgaria, and Albania but the chances of getting those nations to become Communist in a regular playthrough was pretty dang low. So, Yugoslavia now gains access to a series of decisions to steadily support a peasant’s uprising in both Bulgaria and Albania, creating a viable way to bring them into the Pan-Slavic Worker’s Congress.

pasted image 0 (2).png

pasted image 0 (3).png

Once done, Yugoslavia will gain access to a whole slew of new focuses with their faction reorganizing into the Pan-Balkan Worker’s Congress. Romania, Turkey, Greece, and Hungary are all valid targets for peasant uprisings, so if you ever wanted to see the Balkans start wearing purple, Tito now has all the tools to do it.

pasted image 0 (4).png

Next, we’ll take a look at the old monarchist focuses and how overall the decisions you made were pretty objectively one good decision and one bad. What I really liked about Yugoslavia was the fact that you were constantly making decisions with every focus you pick, following this kind of ladder-design, but with the new tree, I wanted to take that a step further and create some more meaningful and involved choices.
pasted image 0 (5).png

At the very start of their focus tree, Yugoslavia has a choice to either pursue Evolution or Limited Self-Government. Evolution is basically the old Yugoslavia design, where you attempt to stomp out nationalism in your country by whatever means you see fit.
pasted image 0 (6).png

First, establishing the Banate of Croatia no longer makes Croatia a puppet and instead gives Yugoslavia a temporary softer version of Croatian Opposition, but choosing to Crush the Ustase is now a much more involved process and can result in Croatian Nationalism being removed entirely. Crushing the Ustase is a series of decisions tied to two missions. One mission will make the Ustase rise up in an independence war, and the other will peacefully stamp them out. Players have access to a number of decisions to either delay the uprising or speed up the peaceful removal of the Ustase and it’ll take a lot of close attention to keep Yugoslavia in one piece while stamping out nationalism.
pasted image 0 (7).png

For the next two focuses, Yugoslavia has the option to both play appeasement to Italy and Bulgaria while also permanently removing some of their problems. The old focuses do what they always have, but now the negative spirit gained only lasts for a few years, but giving up the territories to these powers will now grant a significant increase in opinion while removing the spirits completely.
pasted image 0 (8).png

Now is as good a time as any to bring up the reworked Yugoslavian states! The goal of this state rework was to facilitate for both modern Balkan borders for the sake of releasables and historical occupation zones.
Yugo New States.png

But instead of doing all that work to maintain the union, Yugoslavia can choose instead to grant self-government to its constituent parts, permanently removing the negative spirits at the cost of losing all of its territory besides Serbia proper. Throughout this path, Yugoslavia will get to choose exactly how it wants to devolve itself; should the two Banovinas of Croatia be individually independent or should they be merged into one? Should the contested territory of Vojvodina be fortified against the Hungarians, given up to them as an act of appeasement, or granted self-government? The ladder design here is more of a choice of how chaotic you want the Balkans to be than a strategic decision. Personally, I enjoy achieving peak-Balkans and granting autonomy to everyone.
pasted image 0 (9).png

Once done tearing itself apart, Yugoslavia can attempt to reintegrate its constituent parts, or grant full independence to the Balkans, replacing Yugoslavia with a military alliance backed up by a hefty number of free units shared between each of the Balkan nations. Going down the route of independence, the Balkans will have more than double the number of troops Yugoslavia begins the game with, so breaking yourself apart may not be such a bad decision with the Axis breathing down your neck.
pasted image 0 (10).png

Prince Paul is no longer the blank slate he was in the old Yugoslavia design and trying to keep him in power means attempting to align yourself with the Axis. Just like before though, both Britain and the Yugoslavian military are deeply opposed to an Axis alliance, and attempting to do so may lead to a coup.
pasted image 0 (11).png

However, should the coup fail and Paul remains in power, the regency will hardly be a regency after they rejected the right of the legitimate heir to take the throne, so perhaps a new King will be needed to guide Yugoslavia in its dark future…
pasted image 0 (12).png

Joining the Allies brings its own set of difficulties, besides the distance of your friends in the West. King Peter is a mere 12 years old in 1936 and if you attempt to end the regency too early, you will be saddled with a monarch woefully unprepared for rulership.
Young Peter.png

Given a few years however, King Peter matures into the legitimate heir of the Yugoslav throne and may marry himself into a little more than just the Allies.
pasted image 0 (14).png

The Royal Wedding focus allows King Peter to marry himself to many of the major Princesses in Europe and who is available adapts dynamically based on the current state of the world. If the Kaiser returns, Yugoslavia will be able to marry a German princess, similarly they may marry a Spanish princess should the Carlists win the Spanish Civil War. Their choice will then inform the outcome of the focus “The Royal Alliance”, which can bring Yugoslavia into a faction with whomever they chose to marry, with Princess Alexandra of Greece resulting in a historic Yugoslav entry to the Allies.
pasted image 0 (15).png

Yugoslavia is not the only Death or Dishonor country getting new content, however. Romania will now have the ability to change sides midway through the war via a decision following a government coup.
pasted image 0 (16).png

On top of that, the Divide Yugoslavia focus is now a game of bidding and demanding from the powers Romania chooses to invite to the dogpile. Similar to the SCW garrison system, each nation can make up to three bids on a Yugoslav state before being locked in as the controller. When each state is claimed, Romania may push the button and issue their demands to Yugoslavia. This can lead to some… interesting looking Balkans.
pasted image 0 (17).png

There are more changes coming to Romania, but for that I will hand you over to our Producer.

Hi everyone, Vash here with some of the changes I’ve made for Romania. Back in February, one of our forum members, Zeprion, made some suggestions for Romania that we unfortunately couldn’t get to in time for La Resistance. While I still didn’t have the chance to get through the full list, I was able to make a few changes that I’m happy to talk about!

Previously, you may have noticed that the political parties and leaders in 1936 were swapped. Historically, the ruling party in 1936 was Democratic PNL, with Gheorghe Tătărescu as the leader. Armand Calimanescu was also the leader of Non-Aligned FRN. This has now been fixed, and they both have the correct party affiliations. This also means that Romania now starts off in 1936 as Democratic instead of Non-Aligned. We’ve also done some balancing on the back end to account for this change.
pasted image 0 (18).png

pasted image 0 (19).png

Next up, we also switched the starting fascist leader to Octavian Goga, who was the leader of the National Christian Party (Partidul Național Creștin). That means we’ve also switched the starting fascism party to the PNC.

pasted image 0 (20).png

What this means for the player is that upon taking the Iron Guard focus, Ion Antonescu will become the figure head for the fascist party and the party will be renamed from the PNC to Garda de Fier.

pasted image 0 (21).png

pasted image 0 (22).png

Another important historical fact that Zeprion brought up was that King Michael’s Coup was not against his father, but against the fascist Iron Guard. We’ve now relocated this focus to the bottom of the fascist tree.

pasted image 0 (23).png

This now gives the player three options to choose from. You can either stage the coup and appoint King Michael as the leader of the Democratic Party under a constitutional monarchy, force King Carol’s abdication and replace him with the leader of the most popular party, or Handle the King and allow King Carol to stay in power since he has changed his ways for the better.

We’ve also updated the state priorities for some of our building focuses to ensure they don’t give infrastructure bonuses to states you may have given up prior to the start of the war such as Bukovina, Bessarabia, and Northern Transylvania.

And last but not least, we’ve given Constantin Sanatescu a bit of an upgrade! Previously he was only available as an Army Chief with a defensive bonus, but he is now available as a General as well.

pasted image 0 (24).png

That’s it for all the Romania changes for now. Thanks again to Zeprion for all the feedback, and I hope everyone enjoyed this week’s Dev Diary!

Last edited:
  • 116Like
  • 43Love
Reactions:
Just to make the point super clear again since ppl on twitter were asking me. This content doesnt require BFTB, just ye old Death and Dishonor.

• 59Like
  • 12Love
Reactions:
I got a question that I want to ask. Will there be an Yugoslav occupation event so that all of the states can be accurately controlled by the right countries that historically occupied them?

• 18Like
Reactions:
What's with the modern 90s flags being used instead of ones actually used during the period? Bosnia, Kosovo and Macedonia in particular are pretty bad

• 16Like
Reactions:
Glad to see the Romanian changes aswell. Did not expect that, but it was needed and is welcomed! Especially changing sides during the war, something that was most needed to better represent Romania late war.

This might be too much to ask, but will Hungary be able to do the same? They tried to change sides aswell. Did not go so well because of the German invasion and parallell fighting with you guessed right; Romania.

• 15Like
  • 3Love
Reactions:
"Romania will now have the ability to change sides midway through the war via a decision following a government coup."
Thank you!

It just so happens that my last two games were as Yugoslavia and Romania, looking forward to see the changes!

• 6Like
Reactions:
Great! I was worried this Dev Diary would be about “Paradox: Arkansas” taking over development for HOI4.

• 16Haha
  • 2Like
Reactions:
I will be perfectly honest, while I do quite like the Yugoslav Royalist side of the tree and the many options, the Communist side still feels very much like the bland old one, just with a few extra "invite into faction" focuses.
May I suggest something along the lines of Communist Yugoslavia having extra focuses and/or decisions to resolve ethnic tensions, as opposed to instantly removing them with a single focus? As well as an expansion of the Pro-Soviet side of the tree? I can imagine Yugoslavia and USSR working together to influence Romania and Bulgaria, and perhaps even Turkey, so the Soviets finally get their desired warm water ports? I made a thread about this back in 2017, which I think is still perfectly valid, especially now with the new mechanics allowing for things like Royalist Guerillas sabotaging in Serbian lands after the Revolution.
Perhaps there could also be a Federalization option similar to how the Royalist side can do it? This occured historically in 1974, which allowed a great deal of autonomy for the republics, especially after Tito died, comparable to having a bunch of little puppets.

It's safe to assume that these changes can't be made and shipped in 2 weeks, but a future update implementing these changes would be merry to see. :)

• 6Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Is DoD worth picking up now? It's the only dlc I don't own as i wasn't really sold on it before.

I would say yes. It is one of the DLCs I like the most. They habe focused yet interesting focus trees. Now with Yugoslavia fleshed out and Romania able to flip sides and pull the rug out from the Axis's feet it is must have in my opinion.

Keep in mind, my opinion.

Reactions:
Yay, it's @Meka66 to the rescue!

Before reading this dev diary, i would personally thanked you for hearing our advice about "Suggestions for Formable Nations Rework" - The Thread in late January back then. Our suggestions are well-implemented into the game, also you add some nice things like "Reforming Roman Empire without England". But then again, it seems that Greater Hungary does not include West Banat, and weirdly does include Zaolzie, so maybe you can fix that.

The picture

Reddit thread

And perhaps, you may take a look on the mod i just have created, aptly titled "SFNR: The Mod". It's currently on the second phase, with 8 out of 16 already reworked, and i would very honored if those suggestions can be implemented into Waking the Tiger.

Now, time to read the dev diary!

• 1Like
Reactions:
Would it be possible to rename the 'Southern Serbia' state to something more specific? Maybe 'Pirot' or 'Bosilegrad' or 'Tsaribrod'. All names of big cities within that region. The old name just feels kind of generic. Not to mention that it's not so much Southern Serbia as it is Eastern or Southeastern Serbia.

• 7Like
  • 2Love
Reactions:
Yay, it's @Meka66 to the rescue!

Before reading this dev diary, i would personally thanked you for hearing our advice about "Suggestions for Formable Nations Rework" - The Thread in late January back then. Our suggestions are well-implemented into the game, also you add some nice things like "Reforming Roman Empire without England". But then again, it seems that Greater Hungary does not include West Banat, and weirdly does include Zaolzie, so maybe you can fix that.

The picture

Reddit thread

And perhaps, you may take a look on the mod i just have created, aptly titled "SFNR: The Mod". It's currently on the second phase, with 8 out of 16 already reworked, and i would very honored if those suggestions can be implemented into Waking the Tiger.

Now, time to read the dev diary!

Re Greater Hungary: You do get core on western Banat and not Zaolize. You only get Vovjodina if Yugoslavia caves to your demands. If they refuse your ultimatum and a GP do not interfere can conquer all of Banat. Or use a justification to take it if they fold. There isn't really something that blocks Hungary from taking West Banat, barring foreign intervention.

Reactions:
Prince Paul is no longer the blank slate he was in the old Yugoslavia design and trying to keep him in power means attempting to align yourself with the Axis. Just like before though, both Britain and the Yugoslavian military are deeply opposed to an Axis alliance, and attempting to do so may lead to a coup.
[...]
However, should the coup fail and Paul remains in power, the regency will hardly be a regency after they rejected the right of the legitimate heir to take the throne, so perhaps a new King will be needed to guide Yugoslavia in its dark future…
Bruh

Prince Paul was an Anglophile who had to be practically forced at gunpoint to join the Tripartite Pact. Turning him into a fascist is just insulting as well as severely misrepresenting the man.

The other chances look fine; could do with some more Chetniks and guerrilla warfare though.

• 11Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
You plan to include in the future in making small trees shared in the Chinese warlords style by giving these Balkan territories to achieve autonomy something Albania could also be included in these trees

• 1Like
Reactions:
very nice, but I hope this is not the final form for the Romanian focus tree, as many things are not really represented well, and the current focus is very dull and flavorless.

however I hoped that for the fascist path we would have had Milan Stojadinović or Dimitrije Ljotić.

also, the autonomy for Transylvanian slavs focus if very very weird to me as there are or were no slavs in Transylvania, maybe Banat, but not Transylvania.

anyway, in the very near future I will make a small thread about how the Romanian focus tree can be improved hopefully in the update after BftB if it's ok.

Last edited:
  • 7Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions: