HOI4 Dev Diary - Together for Audio

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Metal King

Audio Director
6 Badges
Aug 11, 2015
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Magicka
ATTENTION SOLDIERS!

For this Dev Diary I’ll talk about something you might not be that used to have in Hearts of Iron franchise:

Voice Over!

For this expansion I wanted to do something more with the audio and trying out something completely new for our history based games. So I wanted to have your units reply back in their native tongue whenever you select them and giving them order and there should also by different Voice Over lines when you select units during combat, if you now are playing as a country which we support Voice Over for now.

Here is a short overview on which languages we have recorded:
  • German
  • French
  • Italian
  • British
  • American
  • Spanish
  • Russian
  • Mandarin Chinese
  • Japanese

- Bonus -

• Danish
  • Finnish
  • Norwegian
  • Swedish
Of course since our office is in Scandinavia we wanted also let some of the our Dev's from the Hearts of Iron 4 team record their own voices for our Nordic languages. I’ll let you guys try to figure out who has provided with voices once you have the expansion. ;)

I have attached a small youtube video which will give you a sense on how the German, Russian and Japanese VO sounds and triggers in the game:

There will be 4 different “states” that the Voice Over will be triggered in;
  • “Idle”
  • “Combat”
  • “Combat Winning”
  • “Retreat”
VO lines tied to the “Idle” state will be triggered when the unit is not engaged in combat, “Combat” VO lines when your units are in combat while the “Combat Winning” will be triggered when your units are winning. “Retreat” is triggered when your units are retreating from combat if they are defeated.

I want to talk about another topic and that is mods! With the new Voice Over system and script it is easy to mod your own Voice Over for the current languages and for other countries.. The easiest way to mod in your own audio files is simply just changing the .wav files to your own .wav files with the same name or just change the path in the .asset file.

Below I’ll go more in depth in how you can script in your own Voice Over for those who might be interested:

Modding:
First thing you need to find is which “landcodes” we’re using in the game and you can locate these “landcodes” / country_tags in this folder: \Hearts of Iron IV\history\countries

These landcodes / country_tags are important if you would like to mod in Voice Over for other countries than those we support at release of the expansion.

Then later on you will need to open up the audio asset file which you will find in the dlc folder and it will be called “vo.asset”. After that you will mod the audio script like below:

Here is how the German “soundeffect” may look like:

soundeffect =
{
name = "GER_infantry_positive_combat"
sounds = {
sound = de_Positive_001
}
max_audible = 1
max_audible_behaviour = fail
volume = 0.45
volume_random_offset = { 0.0 -0.15 }
playbackrate_random_offset = { 0.0 -0.15}
}

But if you replace “GER_” in the “soundeffect” instead to “HOL_” it should look like this:

soundeffect =
{
name = "HOL_infantry_positive_combat"
sounds = {
sound = de_Positive_001
}
max_audible = 1
max_audible_behaviour = fail
volume = 0.45
volume_random_offset = { 0.0 -0.15 }
playbackrate_random_offset = { 0.0 -0.15}
}

Now the German Voice Over will be triggered for Holland units when they are in combat instead for German units. You will apply the same method for the other type of Voice Lines which are scripted:

_infantry_idle
_infantry_neutral_combat
_infantry_positive_combat
_infantry_retreat

Just script in the right landcodes and script in audio assets and I think you will be able to create really cool audio mods.

Music: (handing over to Andreas Waldetoft here...)
I have already done some British music for vanilla Hearts of Iron 4 score, but I wanted to expand on that and have an even more appropriate mood when playing as commonwealth countries. From fire ridden London, to tanks helping the British to victory in El Alamein. Together for Victory will come with 3 brand new themed tracks.

To make managing and playing your music easier we are also adding a music player as part of the free 1.3 (Torch) patch.
hoi4_12.jpg

it lets you play/pause/skip songs and lets you pick of you want to use the regular in-game weighted song picking (certain songs for axis/allies/commintern etc) or plain random. Playlist changes are remembered also in your settings.

Next week we will be looking at a bunch of new game stuff as well as taking a look at new art & models!

@podcat : Don't miss the World War Wednesday stream today at 16:00CET over at https://www.twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive! Me and Daniel will be trying out the Great War mod for the first time :)

Last edited:
Reactions:
Reactions:
When I saw the title of the DD, I was sort of "meh". Then I actually read it, and that is awesome!

Reactions:
Am I the only one sad that they didn't employ the press officers from the mp stream and Steven? I find it hilarious though that every time a company uses Japanese language voice overs they always sound like they are constipated or angry.

Reactions:
Wunderbar! Paradox sind genial!
Hearing the beautiful German language being spoken while conque...erm....liberating Europe from the Bolshevik menace will make fighting for das Vaterland more glorious than ever!

Reactions:
Reactions:
Very nice!
Now, could you fix the phantom factories, invasion with volunteers, console opening when hotjoin..?
Don't get me wrong, but there are plenty more important things.

Reactions:
Here is a short overview on which languages we have recorded:
  • British
  • American

...... Um, did you mean countries instead of languages?

Reactions: