HoI4 Dev Diary - The Imperial Japanese Navy (AAR)

HoI4 Dev Diary - The Imperial Japanese Navy (AAR)

• Crusader Kings III Available Now!

The realm rejoices as Paradox Interactive announces the launch of Crusader Kings III, the latest entry in the publisher’s grand strategy role-playing game franchise. Advisors may now jockey for positions of influence and adversaries should save their schemes for another day, because on this day Crusader Kings III can be purchased on Steam, the Paradox Store, and other major online retailers.

Real Strategy Requires Cunning

Archangel85

Oberbefehlshaber, Content Design, HoI4
56 Badges
Jan 27, 2005
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • March of the Eagles
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Magicka
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Pride of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Prison Architect
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
Hello, and welcome back to another Dev Diary from the frozen wasteland that is Sweden in January. Today, we will have another short AAR of a naval warfare scenario, similar to the one we did earlier about raiding and submarine warfare.

This was played as an MP game between me and Niall (@Ceebie), with me defending the Empire of Japan’s honor against Niall’s filthy American imperialists.

Starting as Japan, I immediately face a number of issues that should sound very familiar: I have very limited resources, particularly in terms of oil. This is now a much bigger issue as I can still happily build ships and airplanes and tanks, but I won’t be able to run them for free. However, if I want to upgrade my ships (and knowing Niall, I absolutely do), I will need naval experience, and China is unlikely to provide me with a lot of it. So I need to run training missions for my fleet, which gobbles up fuel at a rapid pace (I could only take out my main fleet units for a few brief weeks before the fuel situation became critical).

Screenshot_2.jpg

At the same time, while I could trade for more oil, it will cost civilian factories which I desperately need to build up my own industry or to trade for steel to continue my military buildup. I decided to keep the trading for oil to a minimum in order to more quickly build up my industry and increase the size of my fleet.

Screenshot_4.jpg

My first target is, of course, China, and we start the war with them in the middle of 1937. It quickly becomes apparent that I underestimate the Chinese. Fighting rages hard along the border for several weeks, and a number of naval landings that attempt to force the AI to draw troops away from the main front are quickly contained by local garrisons, but at least not pushed back into the sea. Part of the problem is that the fleets tasked with invasion support contain some of my battleships, which eat up absurd amounts of fuel, and my attempts to turn the tide through prolific use of air support eat into my fuel supplies even more.

By early 1938, we are slowly grinding forward and have managed to inflict serious casualties on the Chinese, but my fuel stockpile has shrunken to just 30 days of current use. I curtail air support to only support my main thrust and send the naval forces providing shore bombardment back to port. Progress slows, but eventually we link up with the landing forces, at least saving me from an embarrassing early defeat. The massive amounts of Land XP also allow me to run through the doctrine tree quite a bit faster than Niall could ever hope to. Sadly the war in the Pacific will not be fought on land.

Screenshot_5.jpg

It would take until early 1941 for the Chinese to fall, even though the writing is on the wall by the middle of 1940. I blame the poor infrastructure and awful terrain in China - my leadership is, after all, beyond any reasonable doubt.

In the meantime, Niall has been quietly modernizing his fleet and has started his rearmament. While a good amount of his effort is spent on helping out the British in Europe, I have no doubt that he has something in store for me. While I was deeply engaged in managing the war in China, I received some out-of-game intelligence (Niall bragging in the kitchen that his destroyer swarms would annihilate me) that makes me realize that my fleet lacks some key capabilities. The starting Japanese light cruisers are fairly mediocre, most have been built during the 20ies and are not up to the task of winning a firefight against the likes of a Brooklyn Class cruiser with no less than 3 light cruiser battery modules. What I do have is a lot of torpedoes, and I invest a little into researching upgraded torpedoes and better launchers. The Japanese Long Lance national spirit gives me another perk, as it negates the enemy screening to an extend, which means that my torpedoes can hit his capitals even through 100% screening.

Screenshot_1.jpg

So while I was slowly grinding my way across China, I also decided on my buildup strategy:

• No new battleships, since they eat up a lot of fuel and I have enough to cover my carriers. However, I did later decide to build at least one Yamato-class as an insurance against Niall developing modern battleships.

• A force of 4 light carriers. Japan starts with two (Ryujo and returning fan favourite Hosho), with two Zuhio class building. While these only carry 40 planes each, they will be used to provide cover for operations in and around the Dutch East Indies.

• A force of 4 fleet carriers, with another force of 4 joining later. Akagi and Kaga will be joined by 2 more Soryu class carriers and form the main strike force in the Central Pacific.

• A heavy emphasis on air defense and torpedoes. After researching dual purpose main armaments, I design a new destroyer class with improved AA and better torpedo armament. These are joined by a quartet of light torpedo cruisers from the Japanese focus.

• Lots and lots of Naval Bombers to damage the enemy during the approach and pick off stragglers. Once the battle is fought, his damaged ships would likely try and find a close naval base for repairs, so having naval bombers ready to attack them in port would let me finish them off.

• Once I identified the fleet’s weakness in defense against destroyers, I also designed a version of the Mogami Class heavy cruisers dedicated to light gun support. I built another 4 of these.

Screenshot_6.jpg
The fleet’s main objective, however, is to provide support for landings to seize resource rich areas in the Dutch East Indies. To protect the sea lanes to and from these islands, I will need to secure the Philippines, and that is where things get a little dicey.

While I have little doubt that my forces can take over Sumatra, Java and Borneo, Malaya might be a tough nut to crack, and I know that Niall has already started to fortify the Philippines. I have researched amphibious armor well in advance and with China now pacified, I start to turn up production in an attempt to give my marines a bit more punch and hopefully allow me to seize a foothold even against heavy opposition.

Screenshot_16.jpg
Thinking ahead, I also research improved naval bombers and the next generation of carrier planes. Once my main objectives are secured, I will use swarms of naval bombers to hold them down while I move my fleets to stage two and take on Australia.

To give myself some more time to buildup, I delay my attack on the US until early 1942. This allows me to form a second strike force of two fleet carriers (Shokaku and Zuikaku, both repeat Soryus as I was unable to scrape together enough XP to design an upgraded carrier).

The first battles are very encouraging. Whenever my patrols find one of his scouting units, my strike fleets sortie and make short work of them, Niall’s vaunted Destroyer swarms being no match for my upgraded cruisers and destroyers. I am somewhat confident that I can attrit his screening forces faster than he can replace them, which would eventually force his fleet to remain in port or eat absurd numbers of torpedoes.

Screenshot_11.jpg

Things quickly turn a little chaotic as my strike fleets and patrols intercept a number of troop convoys. While I first thought that these were going to the Philippines, they instead turn out to be trying to seize islands in the Central Pacific. Things don’t go well for him, as he has decided to keep his battleships and carriers on strike duty instead of covering his invasion convoys. Several divisions are effectively destroyed at sea, and the remains fail to gain any footholds.

At the same time, my invasions in the DEI, supported by the old battleships Ise and Hyuga, have run into stiff opposition while attempting to land in Borneo. I shift some tactical bombers into the theater to help break the stalemate, and we are starting to make progress. The two-pronged assault succeeds in establishing a foothold, but it is a reminder that Niall has not been idle and is ready to fight for every inch of ground in this vital area.

Screenshot_13.jpg

While my marines still struggle to make landfall in the Philippines, a bigger drama unfolds in the Bismarck Sea. Niall has finally unleashed his main strike force, after one of his patrols found my carrier fleet.

The Battle of the Bismarck Sea does not go particularly well for the Imperial Navy. With several battleships detached for minor repairs, the US Navy breaks through my screening units and manages to do an end run on my carriers, sinking all four for no capital ship loses on their side. The survivors straggle home, many ships badly damaged during the ferocious engagement as my battle line attempted to screen against the full might of the US battlefleet.

Screenshot_8.jpg
However, Niall’s victory has come at a steep cost. Most of his battlefleet is badly damaged, and he has nothing to follow his success up with. More than that, I still have 6 carriers in reserve (2 fleet, 4 light), and several hundred naval bombers scouring the Bismarck Sea means that he has to risk his battleships again to sail them to safer harbours for repairs. Several of them take further damage as they retreat, many of them out of the battle for almost a year.

Screenshot_15.jpg
While Niall has blunted my offensive power quite severely, he has nothing to interfere with in my operations in the DEI, which were the main objective. Trying to use the Philippines as an unsinkable aircraft carrier has become next to impossible as trying to supply it with fuel would cost him too many convoys and tank his war support. The Japanese conquest of the southern resource area won’t quite be the lightning strike it was in history, but it is as inevitable as the rising of the sun.

Screenshot_14.jpg
With hindsight, my performance in the naval war thus far comes down to:

• Lack of radar allowing Niall to get the drop on me in a critical moment

• Lack of training due to fuel concerns

• Insufficient coverage of the seazones with naval bombers failing to disrupt the enemy on the approach

• Not enough screening vessels to protect my carriers against his battle fleet. Although Yamato sunk several ships and survived to fight another day, spending the same amount of 3 heavy cruisers would likely have yielded better results

• Good performance of my light forces when engaged on equal terms

That is all for today. Tune in at 1600 CET for another stream with an indepth look at fuel.

Last edited:

Walderschmidt

Leutnant
53 Badges
Oct 22, 2009
  • Darkest Hour
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Field Marshal
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Victoria 2
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44 -  Back to Hell
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Semper Fi
  • Divine Wind
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • For the Motherland
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • March of the Eagles
  • Knights of Honor
I actually really, really like this.

It looks like managing the Navy takes some actual thought and you can win strategic gains despite some tactical losses.

Wald

Aeon221

Colonel
92 Badges
May 29, 2009
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • March of the Eagles
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Stellaris
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • BATTLETECH
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Steel Division: Normand 44 Sign-up
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Victoria 2
  • Surviving Mars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
I blame the poor infrastructure [weather] and awful terrain in [Russia] - my leadership is, after all, beyond any reasonable doubt.
German generals on eastern front, December 1941, shocked at idea that Russia might have winter and bad roads despite having full access to campaign histories from 1811, 1915, 1917 and firsthand experience operating tanks in Russia during the 1920s during joint exercises with the USSR.

Archangel85

56 Badges
Jan 27, 2005
  • March of the Eagles
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Magicka
  • Pride of Nations
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Prison Architect
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Darkest Hour
  • Divine Wind
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
Third. Also, where's the release date?
Let's just say someone's gonna eat their shoe.

In seriousness, we are in the final stages of nailing down a release date. It is not just up to the team.

pvt.conners

Major
81 Badges
May 8, 2013
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Darkest Hour
I'm really liking the fact that fuel concerns seriously hampered the Japanese war effort and force deployment.

I can't wait to get my hands on the patch and DLC.

Praetori

High-Command Scapegoat
75 Badges
Aug 6, 2009
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings III
The first battles are very encouraging. Whenever my patrols find one of his scouting units, my strike fleets sortie and make short work of them, Niall’s vaunted Destroyer swarms being no match for my upgraded cruisers and destroyers. I am somewhat confident that I can attrit his screening forces faster than he can replace them, which would eventually force his fleet to remain in port or eat absurd numbers of torpedoes.
Those sub-losses though. :eek:

kaguravitro

General
28 Badges
Mar 4, 2015
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Semper Fi
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Darkest Hour
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Victoria 2
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
aijuna!!! seems really good!

I have a question after looking your images, you let repair in pacific island, this wouldt be dangerous by port strikes? I could send damated ships from a dock to other after the reparation started?

Kriegsspieler

Field Marshal
65 Badges
Feb 27, 2003
  • Crusader Kings III
Nice AAR - thanks.
It show quite vividly how much the naval game is going to change. I am looking forward to a new learning curve!

Tha Pink Guy

First Lieutenant
106 Badges
Apr 10, 2013
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Warlock 2: Wrath of the Nagas
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • BATTLETECH
  • Surviving Mars
  • Dungeonland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Prison Architect
  • Victoria 2
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Cities in Motion 2
Nothing more disappointing than reading and amazing in-depth dev diary to then seen all the comments are childish "release date when?" comments and the order i which they placed.

Thank you for posting a detailed and riveting dev diary, I look forward to reading the next one.

Ceebie

QA Rikspoliti
62 Badges
Dec 2, 2016
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Semper Fi
  • Pirates of Black Cove
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Surviving Mars
  • BATTLETECH
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Stellaris
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • BATTLETECH - Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Victoria 2
aijuna!!! seems really good!

I have a question after looking your images, you let repair in pacific island, this wouldt be dangerous by port strikes? I could send damated ships from a dock to other after the reparation started?
I turned both Guam and parts of the Philippines into giant shipyards with plenty of AA and aircraft cover. This allowed me to have very secure operating bases close to the action. As traveling back and forward across the Pacific is both dangerous and time consuming. It was still a risk, but a risk I was willing to take :)

cvb00000

Recruit
22 Badges
Dec 19, 2018
  • Stellaris
  • Victoria 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Semper Fi
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
So fuel has to be supplied to airbases in order for the planes to run? I don't remember this being covered in a dev blog. Does this also mean that encircled airbases won't have fuel?

Syntalynder

Grand Frohmage
93 Badges
May 18, 2008
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • King Arthur II
  • The Kings Crusade
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Semper Fi
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Supreme Ruler: Cold War
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Europa Universalis III
  • East India Company Collection
  • Darkest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Cities in Motion
  • Crusader Kings II
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Pride of Nations
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • War of the Roses
  • Victoria 2
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
I can't take it any more. The game looks beautiful. Paradox take my car. Take my house. Just release this. Please.

Archangel85

56 Badges
Jan 27, 2005
  • March of the Eagles
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Magicka
  • Pride of Nations
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Prison Architect
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Darkest Hour
  • Divine Wind
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
@Archangel85 Any news on Kamikaze Planes, why you didn't use them in the MP Battle? Or still something to surprise us with in the future?
To suggest that the Empire would have to resort to such desperate tactics displays a lack of commitment to the war effort and lack of faith in our inevitable victory. Shameful.

FieldMedic

Colonel
96 Badges
Nov 10, 2012
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • BATTLETECH - Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Sign Up
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • BATTLETECH
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Surviving Mars
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Prison Architect
  • Victoria 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
Very cool diary. It didn't occur to me (and probably should have) that the addition of fuel would making taking China more difficult. Also loving the idea that we'll need to design ships for specific tasks instead of just churning out whatever the most advanced ship we have researched and that we'll likely have ships sitting idle in reserve to replace damage / losses instead of just committing everything all the time.