HOI4 Dev Diary - The Baltic States 2/2

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I agree, I'd be fine if they changed the name to that. But calling youself Ugric when you have no Ugric lands is a bit weird, at least Germany had most Germans and Yugoslavia had most South Slavs
Ah I didn't think about that one, Khanty and Mansi only number in the low hundreds of thousands.

aaa.png

Guys, this screenshot straight up says: "Next Election: October 1935"
Why are we not talking more about this possible new starting date?! :oops:

• 5Haha
  • 3Like
Reactions:
Nice work on the content of these focus trees. Although personally, I don't have much interest in minor Baltic nations, y'all've been able to make some pretty impressively large and interesting focus trees out of it. The main thing I take from these past couple of dev diaries is that the Soviet Union rework is bound to be amazing if the little Baltic states are this in-depth. Can't wait to see it!

• 4Like
Reactions:
No way they would post such a huge bug. That would devastate me lol
It would be nice, but their efforts would be better spent making hoi5, since such an update would mean practically remaking the game from scratch. That is unless paradox idea of fun is sitting for 3 to 6 years collecting PP doing nothing.

Reactions:
Thought he stated that this was a WIP, not an indication of a change?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Will there be a new start date? why is it 1935?

one of the images says next election 1935
As i recall possibly from earlier diaries in past updates the devs often make the game do weird things as they usually fiddle around with console commands when showing of special mechanics, new focuses, different tags etc.

Reactions:
Guys, this screenshot straight up says: "Next Election: October 1935"
No new start dates. Possibly a quantum fluctuation, but no new start dates

• 21Haha
  • 2Like
Reactions:
I'm in favour of small countries getting a disproportional amount of detail and potential in regards to starting industry, slots and state number for gamplay reasons, so i'm not overly concerned about this, but isn't it pushing it a little too far to give the Baltic states (175K km2) a combined state count superior to Great Brittain (242K km2) or Italy? (301 km2)

And were Riga and Tailin really as urbanized as Rome, Madrid or the entire state of Florida?

Don't take me the wrong way, i'm very happy the baltics are getting this much detail, i'm not bothered by this in anyway, i absolutely love the baltics and will definitely be playing in the region when the dlc comes out. I'm just concerned that later on powercreep/detailcreep might end up with massive balance issues (i mean, it is already significantly unbalanced when Bulgaria has a higher slot count than California, but now even Estonia will dwarf California)

Last edited:
  • 6Like
Reactions:
Feedback time!
Questions:
No matter which they choose, Lithuania must fulfil Smetona’s ambition of empowering the Presidency and elevating the President above party politics. What this will mean for a Lithuanian player is that party popularity will have no impact at all on the nation’s stability, and they will instead gain a flat amount of stability as a base.
This could become a nerf/disadvantage in certain circumstances. Is this intentional?

Should the Baltics submit to Soviet occupation, they will switch to their shared communist branch.
Have yop properly tested this? No unintended OP effects (like Vichy was able to get seven research slots after becoming France again after LR)

imilar to Poland, all three Baltic states have a small exiled government branch, granting them access to some offmap factories and weekly manpower.
Balt37.png
The Forset Brothers focus is in a different palce for Latvia and Lithuania. Is it a mistake or different stages of development?

Sure, here's some good ones!
Generals.png
No Field Marshal for Latvia?

Suggestions:

A fascist Lithuania that manages to either occupy Poland or align them will be able to restore things to the way they once were: with a large dominant Lithuania and a small submissive Poland on their border.
if Lithuania takes (back) half of Poland AND has to defeat Germany, taking East Prussia, there should be an option to give Poland more land in the west (to give the Poland player a reason to support Lithuania).

If Germany takes the Kaiser path and Latvia or Estonia submits to Garmany, they should get Duke Adolf Friedrich as monarch.

• 6Like
Reactions:
Interesting, Interesting! But looking at all of this new stuff Im bit concerned that Latvia will be the weakest and therefore least interesting nation to play with. It all looks fun, but what bonuses can it actually ofer you? Lithuanians got their big chunky kingdom path and Estonians their "IM NORDIC" stuff. They can both turn in to powerhouse with pretty good manpower pool. And even more, following the right path they can both co-exist in one game so for RP with friends it can be pretty damn cool.
As for the Latvians the most you can do is become a pupet of Germany or form Baltic empiere wich I asume is just Baltic federation from formable nations, with low manpower pool (If I remember corecctly you can have manpower for 2 armies no more). So rn it looks like Latvia is the weakest, ofc it all depends from those focus modifiers.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
Can you please rework the Polish states, too?
I get that the 1945 Border of Poland should be included, but given the game is focussed on WW2, the states should rather be drawn in a historical way.

This would be my suggestions:
- I saw you are gonna add Danzig as a City state so i included it
- Redraw the Niederschlesien-Ostmark border so that east germany doesnt look shit when they get niederschlesien for some reason
- Redraw Border of Posen and Westpreußen (formerly Danzig) so there isnt that weird bump in the border when poland gives up the corridor
- Redraw Borders of Łódź and Płock so that they match the Border of Germany and the Generalgovernment
- Add Suwałki and Małopolskie for the same reason
- Add Hrodna in Belarus for better RK Ostland Borders
- Add Podkarpackie as a way to establish historical Soviet Border

Also adding the Generalgovernment and more RKs in Russia would be very nice.

Poland.jpg

• 21Like
  • 1Love
Reactions: