• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

HoI4 Dev Diary - Resistance and Compliance

Hello HoI bois and ladies, welcome to the second dev diary on our upcoming unannounced expansion and 1.8 ‘Husky’ update. This update features some big changes to how occupied territory functions. The biggest part of this is an overhaul of the game’s current resistance system into what we are calling the “Resistance and Compliance” system. This should help curb a bit of power from snowballing (Hello, Germany), remove gamey early war sniping of provinces, and put a bit of a clock on world conquest runs.

The old resistance system is rather simple. Each occupied state has a suppression requirement. If you meet that requirement nothing happens. If the suppression requirement is not met then you suffer from increasingly common sabotage to factories or infrastructure as resistance strength grows. We decided we could make this more interesting and use it as a way to further control the power of snowballing.

The growth of resistance is no longer stopped by having an adequate garrison. Resistance now functions with a target system. The resistance level will grow or decay towards whatever the current target is. The target is impacted by the development of the state, the core owner still existing and other factors. Resistance activities will still scale with the level of resistance, but the garrison will now work as a shield that absorbs these sabotages. If the garrison is adequate, the garrison shield will absorb the vast majority of sabotage attempts and take losses to manpower and equipment. Not having an adequate garrison means a higher resistance target and more resistance activity making it past the garrison shield to the state.

DD_RESCOMP_COMP.png

Compliance is in some ways the opposite of resistance. It is a rating of how willing the local state is to work with their occupiers. Compliance will normally start at zero and increase slowly over time. Compliance growth will generally be slow and several factors can affect that speed of growth. As compliance increases in a state, it will decrease local resistance and give access to more resources, factories, and manpower.

DD_RESCOMP_COMP2.png

Resistance and compliance also will have various effects that are unlocked. Resistance will gain the ability to more frequently bypass the garrison shield after it reaches a strength of 25%. Reaching 25% compliance means reducing suppression requirements for the current level of resistance.

DD_RESCOMP_UNLOCKS.png

The highest level of resistance unlocks include two levels of uprising. The first is a passive malus that is applied to the state, adding attrition, decreasing move speed, and slowing org regain for occupying forces in the area. The 2nd level uprising is a full scale organized uprising that functions somewhat like a civil war. The states that rise up will gain low-quality divisions and either rejoin their former master or if that no longer exists, reestablish themselves on the map. Both of these should be somewhat rare and will require the local resistance being supported by an outside source.

DD_RESCOMP_UPRISING1.png

In conjunction with these new systems, we have reworked how occupied states are handled. Colony states will be removed as a concept and every state not controlled by a nation with a core on the state will be viewed as occupied. Occupied states will now be less rewarding for the occupier. Access to the factories and resources of the state will by default be much lower than before. However, the conqueror can get more out of the state by cultivating compliance or adjusting occupation laws. This gives a bit of granularity between what was previously colony states and cores.

Occupation laws will also be updated to work with the new resistance and compliance systems and give the player more choice. Previous occupation laws were mostly a linear system of paying PP and increasing suppression need for increasing rewards. If you could afford it, harsher occupation would almost always be more beneficial. This was also a system not a lot of people interacted with as it was hidden behind several layers of the menu.

New occupation laws are built around trying to give the player choice based on playstyle and short and longterm goals. The new laws tend towards one of three objectives: compliance growth, resistance suppression, factory/resource exploitation. Compliance growth is a longterm reward, while resistance suppression and resource gains are more short term. These laws will, in turn, be bad at what they are not concerned with. IE focusing on resistance suppression will generally not be very rewarding in terms of resources or long term compliance growth. Cultivating compliance will mean that the player will have to deal with a period of low yields and maybe a more active resistance movement. Each of the big three ideologies will also get their own special occupation laws. These laws fit the themes of the ideologies and give them some unique choices

DD_RESCOMP_OCULAW02.png

That's all we got for this week. Next week we will update the good people of these forums on what is going on with France. Secrets and things hidden will be revealed!

Guess this means we can't just completely ignore and abandon places that we don't think are going to be invaded.

What about "civil war" issues, like China? When you have multiple cores on the same province? It feels natural Nat. China should make Com. China territories compliant, for example.
Maybe add a modifier making such "core" states building resistance?
I can see some possibilities with tying in these mechanics with the Nationalist Chinese focus tree; for example, things like "Forcible Conscription" and increases in inflation should add to resistance and Democratic advances (with the Legislative Yuan etc.) should add to compliance, I think.

From the way some of the tooltips in these screenshots are written, it seems like there will now be resistance movements even in peacetime which I am really looking forward too. It always struck me as somewhat odd that a country could have massive resistance movements across your occupied territory while you were waging war but the moment you make peace they go "Okay boys, they've made peace and we no longer have a nation to fight for. Time to hang up our rifles and go be oppressed under the new regime". The new system of perpetual resistance makes a lot more sense and I am SO glad that's going to be a thing now.

If the garrison is adequate, the garrison shield will absorb the vast majority of sabotage attempts and take losses to manpower and equipment.

Good, this will put a damper on any expansionist adventures. The fact that it can happen even while your country is at peace will force you to deploy a permanent garrison.

The 2nd level uprising is a full scale organized uprising that functions somewhat like a civil war. The states that rise up will gain low-quality divisions and either rejoin their former master or if that no longer exists, reestablish themselves on the map. Both of these should be somewhat rare and will require the local resistance being supported by an outside source.

Will there be historic uprisings, i.e. the Warsaw Uprising or the French Resistance fighting in Paris etc.?

Also I look forward to what this outside assistance entails. The resistance movements in Europe provided intelligence to the Allies as well as operating propaganda and conducting special mission at times, whilst simultaneously receiving extensive aid from abroad.

Occupied states will now be less rewarding for the occupier. Access to the factories and resources of the state will by default be much lower than before. However, the conqueror can get more out of the state by cultivating compliance or adjusting occupation laws. This gives a bit of granularity between what was previously colony states and cores.

One of the best changes imo. No more easy snowballing through conquest for anyone, minor or major.

Please tell me we no longer need actual divisions on the map to suppress resistance.

I'm not saying there shouldn't be IC and other costs using game mechanics, but having so many anti-partisan divisions is so spammy. I honestly don't think it adds any value to gameplay.
I think this is the "garrison" that will absorb the damage of partisan activity

I can see some possibilities with tying in these mechanics with the Nationalist Chinese focus tree; for example, things like "Forcible Conscription" and increases in inflation should add to resistance and Democratic advances (with the Legislative Yuan etc.) should add to compliance, I think.
Yes, that's what I thought; but, as it's written here, state should not be a core to build resistance.

So does this mean I can theoretically fund a war of independence for say Ukraine against the USSR?? :eek: If so, would the ideology of the state that emerges be based off a mix of both the funding states ideology and the current ideology of the states of the nation going for independence? An example being when in ww1 Germany funded the Ukrainian Hetmanate which became a sort of monarchy and client state of the German Empire. I'd love to have puppet Kingdoms in the east going under German Empire focus tree!

My question is tangentially related - when an ally comes to liberate an occupied ally, (ie US and UK landing in France), will you be able to introduce mechanics into this new system to allow those allies to repair/improve those liberated lands? That was always one of the big holdups with a sucessful D-Day. The Americans should be able to build/repair port facilities in the lands they have liberated, but can't because it instantly reverts back to Free France, Belgium, etc. Only landing in actual German core territory allows them to do this.

I'm hoping these occupation overhauls can account for this issue in some way, without simultaneously opening avenues for player abuse.

Thanks - what I see here looks very promising!

I assume puppet states, such as the Reorganized Government of China, will not have to deal with resistance as they have cores on the territory they occupy?
Also this looks very nice, the Poles and the Dutch are going to be very interesting to play.

I sincerely hope that with more emphasis on states for local resistance we'll get local politics/ideologies for states as well rather than just a national aggregate. It'll tie in great to the system and make politics more grounded and harder to gain a supermajority.

Also, if we're having national uprising be possible, will we finally get a peace rework? I think it'd be pretty unrealistic for Chad to have to march all the way to Paris just to get its independence.

Finally, with the three big ideologies - unless if there will be a politics rework, given the sheer number of nonaligned *cough*monarchist*cough* paths and content available, I don't think you can really say that it's small compared to the others anymore. It's arguable it's actually bigger in terms of in game content than Communism, in fact.

So excited for the potential here with Yugoslav partisans, resistance fighters in northern and western Europe, Polish uprisings, and also collaborators, i.e. Quisling, Petain, and Wang.

Looks very promising. Will this overhaul be part of the free update?

Yes this is all in the free update

If I understand this right, if we don't do something to either garrison or take care of our colonies, they will rebel?
Also,
Any portraits, if possible?

Nah, rebellions is something you will only really see with external powers involved (which we cant talk about yet) So it wont be naturally happen very much. High resistance is bad enough.

Will we have to spend monarch points to core new territories?
No ;D you kinda spend time and/or solders and equipment to make areas compliant, which is a lot like coring

and also collaborators, i.e. Quisling, Petain, and Wang.
We will be talking about some of this stuff later on.. but after other things are revealed ;)