HOI4 Dev Diary - Reflections and Romania

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I think extended timelines are diificult to ballance. Also a good player will have beaten all the difficult countries and there wont be much of a challange left by the time you finish the current timeline.

Extended timelines work best for playing as a minor where a lot of time can be spent developing from a small country to a large one.

I am afraid you are right. It wouldn't be easy to pull off. Especially in a war strategy where conquest is rather a must than an option.

I am still hoping for game-play that would cover majority of 20th century. Perhaps by introducing countries under your control to have a chance to became independent again by different means...uprising, revolution or forced game event that would introduce and countries no matter how they're divided after you've won your conquest. Maybe this is more suitable for some experiential MOD than an DLC.

Cheers!

So the devs chose Romania. I am offended. I love playing Tanu Nuva and I demand the next DLC be all about it.
Clearly more important than AI, bringing back map NATO counters, command hierarchy, a supply system, fuel etc.

our plan for Tannu Tuva is a bit more ambitions, we will make a expand-alone game version of HOI instead focusing on it, tentatively named "Tannu Tuva - The Power of Hope"

our plan for Tannu Tuva is a bit more ambitions, we will make a expand-alone game version of HOI instead focusing on it, tentatively named "Tannu Tuva - The Power of Hope"
Worth it xD Nothing stays in the way of Tannu-Tuva
Oh and yeah, fire all the pdx team, maybe set the building on fire...

Personally I would much rather if devs spent their time fixing all the numerous issues, annoyances and missing features than adding few focus trees and artwork and calling it a "DLC". I will not be buying anymore of these until I see some substantial core game improvements and added features. It seems to me that modders are capable of filling in these blanks but what modders cannot do is those core things I mentioned - thats where the dev focus should be imho.
If I understood the most recent dev diary right, they have seperate teams, one for gameplay and bugs and all that and one for things like units and art and focus trees and the like.

That was the argument for a lot of the design decisions in HoI 3 that people ended up hating. Why design a gameplay mechanic where the best move is to never touch it?

Leaving aside the whole "good AI" part, which is not trivial to do by any definition.

It is certainly something that goes into the "Ideas for HoI 5" folder, though.

I struggle to find a feature in HOI III TFH that I did not enjoy playing/using. For me HOI IV as of now is still only a colorful (and boring) shadow of HOI III TFH/EU IV. IMHO all the features and mechanics axing severly affected HOI IV´s replay ability. FYI I played HOI III and EU IV for some 10k hours but I stopped enjoying HOI IV after "only" 400 hours of gameplay. After these 400 hours I felt like I had seen it all. I don´t touch HOI IV since August; on the bright side I think I will play it again when 1.4 is out to check out the AI improvements (better movement orders).

Last edited:

b2d0c9fd3f94e938b67b22a7cb366b46_id-buy-that-for-a-dollar-id-buy-that-for-a-dollar-meme_465-308.jpeg

I am so fkn hyped for this DLC, but can you guys maybe focus on fixing big issues (i.e. the bugs ppl have been reporting from 1.3.3) first before adding in focus trees and possibilities larger than Italy's for such small countries? :/

I am so fkn hyped for this DLC, but can you guys maybe focus on fixing big issues (i.e. the bugs ppl have been reporting from 1.3.3) first before adding in focus trees and possibilities larger than Italy's for such small countries? :/
Here & Here.

Can I ask you something Devs?
Are you doing something to improve the multiplayer?

Right now the game multiplayer is plagued by the lack of communication (layout of the lobbies and chat) and unaccountability (players without fixed ID hack and/or crash games)...

it's not impossible to fix, just add some options to the chat (not through the command line, for example to open subchat rooms), make the chat move to the center during treaty negotiations (otherwise covered by layout), make appear in the lobby which date is in the game (to understand rehosts upfront) and if the host has DLC...finally add unique ID for players with the ability to rank and flag other players....and so on

Really do something for the multiplayer because right now it is impossible to have casual games as the community is totally toxic because of the chaos you left us in... for more about this here is another post

keep up the good work

did I miss the reply or if this was already been brought up and answered?

The people who are making the focus trees are content designers and not necessarily programmers. Bug hunting and focus trees are pretty mutually exclusive aside from a handful of rather simple mechanics that get introduced in newer focus trees.

Something that concerns me is the power of the focus tree--industry especially. In 1938, Romania's GDP was 1/7th of mainland Italy, 1/4th that of Poland, and 4/5ths that of Hungary for example. Much of the paltry economic situation in southeastern Europe was due to the collapse of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. With it, many regions that once had been interlinked through trade and specialized industries now had to produce a self-sufficient economy on their own. Competitive advantages eroded with redundant production, industry collapsed, and unemployment reigned everywhere. Many of these countries in the upcoming DLC should be experiencing a lot of trouble growing their economies before the war, not easily soaring onto the world stage as industrial behemoths.

The current balance point shown in the 2 dev streams might need adjustment in my opinion, slowed down by more gated focuses in between.

Last edited: