HOI4 Dev Diary - PdxCon Recap and Team update

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I believe that the Soviet Union rail gauge was common with both the United States and the United Kingdom.

So a special rail gauge for countries starting with a "U" then? :) I wonder if Uruguay was part of the club?

Also consider that it wouldn't make sense for the USA or UK to send lend lease locomotives to the USSR if those locomotives wouldn't fit on the existing tracks.

While they couldn't send existing stock, they could build new ones with the Soviet gauge in mind (or the Soviets may be able to modify once they'd received). If the game was to try and start tackling equipment compatibility issues though, I'd argue it should start at the division level - at the moment there's no cost for having a division using oodles of different types of equipment, when it was generally more efficient for supply to have standardised kit.

• 2Like
Reactions:
I believe that the Soviet Union rail gauge was common with both the United States and the United Kingdom.

Also consider that it wouldn't make sense for the USA or UK to send lend lease locomotives to the USSR if those locomotives wouldn't fit on the existing tracks.
mate, it literally says in the linked wiki page that most us/uk railways were changed to other gauge already in the 19th century, and there were very little built this way to start with...
nonetheless this still means they should be familiar with this gauge

• 1Like
Reactions:
Yes. This US steam locomotive for example was produced and shipped in large numbers to UK and lend-leased to USSR. It was designed for operation on war torn European tracks and had one variant purpose-built for USSR gauge:

Variants
S162 and S166 - both designed for Russian five foot broad gauge track

See also
(a Russian design built in the US both during WW1 and WW2 and shipped overseas for use in Russia / USSR)

Last edited:
Reactions:
All west use standard gauge (1435 mm) except Spain (1668 mm), and the eastern block use russian gauge (1520 mm)
And in fact, it's really easy to change gauge of locomotive at production point.
But there is a lot more than these three ones, I wonder how they managing all this.

Maybe I am a little late this week for this dev diary, but you definitely had me at logistics.

Railroads are an important part to get goods and supplies to different areas, but maybe you could tell us more about:
1) Is there a separate road supply network? How do the two interact? I am assuming that you will not eliminate the autobahn focus for Germany for example? Will air supply get attention if troops are encircled?
2) Someone mentioned that they would like to manage civilian supply in their country more. Does logistics also encompass raw materials like oil, aluminum, steel and the like to be transported to factories?
3) Will logistics be dependent on season of the year and the availability of infrastructure, like in the east?
4) Will we get specialized industry (apart from refineries) based on raw materials? I would love to focus air raids on those industries to disable an enemy faster.

Just some thoughts...