HOI4 Dev Diary - PdxCon Recap and Team update

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
What is this new button? (Plus above it is the amount of delivered resources in the new logistics system, right?)
1622113967687.png

@podcat Just curious whether you can or want to answer it: Now that (former) Game Director @Arheo has joined the team, are you both Co-GDs or have you fallen up the ladder or has he been "demoted"?
We aren't usually so formal with responsibilities and usually agree on stuff so we are both helping out with making the game and running thing :)

• 17Like
Reactions:
What is this new button? (Plus above it is the amount of delivered resources in the new logistics system, right?)
I believe that new button that you say is where the military doctrines will be housed since they will disappear from the technological map since the doctrines will be reworked, they will not occupy the research slots to investigate, and according to what they said in the game panel on Saturday these could only be unlocked through military experience

Something will surely be explained in more detail in future devs

Reactions:
Tukhachevsky wasn't part of any conspiracy. And leftist opposition already being practically non existent hasn't stopped any of the other alt history paths from getting into the game that were based on even flimsier evidence or had even slimmer chances of success.

The investigation into Tukhachevsky was started on false testimony in the first place.

It isn't much of a coincidence that the only 2 of the original Marshals of the Soviet Union that survived Stalin's purges was Voroshilov and Semyon Budyonny who was relieved of duty due to his outdated belief in cavalry over tanks.

The 1930 investigation found nothing. Stalin knew he was innocent but his later purges weren't about innocence or guilt. They were about removing any imagined threat to his dictatorship. Which usually came in the form of anyone with a sense of competency or backbone. One of the other original Marshals, Vasily Blyukher, didn't break like Tukhachevsky but was killed anyway.

The 3rd Marshal to be killed Alexander Yegorov, was also targeted by Stalin and Voroshilov and

Once again not exactly any evidence except "confessions" beaten out of prisoners.

Tukhachevsky's "confession" was literally covered in blood spray and he "confessed" to crimes that Stalin had already investigated him for and found no evidence 7 years earlier.

Tukhachevsky's association with Napoleon may have come from Stalin himself. Trying to smear your enemies to associate them with the person who had previously led the most infamous invasion of Russia (before Hitler) seems like a solid tactic if you have been planning his downfall for anywhere between 7 and 17 years.
Of course there won't be many evidences of conspiracy, because many documents were destroyed during Khruschev's reign in sake of making Stalin look even worse dictator than he was. Also modern Russian Federal Security Service officials estimate that conspiracy most likely took place irl. Stalin was a psychopath, but he wasn't that dumb to just behead his army's high command just because he felt like that

• 1Like
Reactions:
Were there copyright issues behind naming it "no step back" instead of "not one step back", or is one of the devs just really into baby talk?
I liked how it sounded ;D I asked a russian guy what he felt sounded most correct also ;D also 4 words is long and annoying

• 7Like
Reactions:
I have seen 2 new Buttons.

The first one with the Box Sand the Circles are looking for the Supply-Organization.

The other one which is marked have something to do with Military. Maybe Doctrines, better Admiral, General or so Organisation.

I think that too. After 3 revolution and a bloody civil war, the defeat of all foreign expedition, destruction of white armies, dealing with Poland aggression and the HUGE step forward for common people (education, health services, and finally agrarian autonomy) there is no way for other path without huge immersion breaking. The Soviet government have a massive popular support.
And there is enough debate and discussion in the Soviet Supreme for at least 4 different path.
did you drink propaganda juice for breakfast?
the soviet goverment had a decent popular support.... in the russian heartland. for varying reasons this very-very varied in other places, with certain nationalities throwing in serious support behind the axis. The seriously religious part of the population only starts to support the goverment as the war goes on, especially as the orthodox church and the (ideally) atheist state start to seriously cooperate, in order to win the war, as pre-war the -suppression- of the orthodox church is an understatement

You claim all these events to be so damn significant, yet you forgot the importance of the kronstadt rebellion, it's size, and the significance it did in hastening the introduction of more consumer-oriented policies of the state.

it's bread and games. It always was. the soviets have seemingly decent power, because by the end of the 30's, most people have a lot better life, than in the tsarist times. You take away that balance, that economic stability and pooof, there goes the seemingly decent soviet political power.

You know that civil war that happens if you don't purge? yeah. Wonder how much popularity would the regime have after that

• 3Like
Reactions:
Lol, because you're truly immune to anti-soviet propaganda ?
Despite all what their go through, they are dissolved by the inside and against popular support, that's enough to proof they popularity.
And Kronstadt was totally insignificant outside the anarcho-communist debate.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
did you drink propaganda juice for breakfast?
the soviet goverment had a decent popular support.... in the russian heartland. for varying reasons this very-very varied in other places, with certain nationalities throwing in serious support behind the axis. The seriously religious part of the population only starts to support the goverment as the war goes on, especially as the orthodox church and the (ideally) atheist state start to seriously cooperate, in order to win the war, as pre-war the -suppression- of the orthodox church is an understatement

You claim all these events to be so damn significant, yet you forgot the importance of the kronstadt rebellion, it's size, and the significance it did in hastening the introduction of more consumer-oriented policies of the state.

it's bread and games. It always was. the soviets have seemingly decent power, because by the end of the 30's, most people have a lot better life, than in the tsarist times. You take away that balance, that economic stability and pooof, there goes the seemingly decent soviet political power.

You know that civil war that happens if you don't purge? yeah. Wonder how much popularity would the regime have after that
I agree. It's also good to note that there was still a small group of Whites in Manchuria under Semyonov as well as the Russian Fascist Party under Rodzaevsky. There is always the potential to go down focuses where you build strength for a revolt underground then rise up in the Far East and Siberia with Japanese backing; seeing how they were less than fond of the Soviets. Not to mention there were Soviet Generals who were less than thrilled with the Soviets like Vlasov and Rokossovsky (who was nearly purged and just barely managed to survive by proving his alleged accuser died in the Civil War). There is plenty of potential for a Soviet overthrow if you scratch between the surface.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Future Roadmap and thoughts
@podcat is there any plans to change/expand/reform research system of the game? From day one when game came out I couldn't understand why ship building mechanic couldn't been implemented in research.
What I mean :
Buildable Research facilities.​
When you want to research some new technology you have to chose it and assign research facilities to work on that. So in the end player can add or remove those facilities to make progress faster or slower like with ship building.​
That would also allowed to expand strategic air warfare.. that means you could bombard enemy research facilities and slow down his research.​
I really hope something like this can be implemented... especially when this game already having mechanic that works on this principle.​

Reactions:
Since Soviet do what's they're promise (upgrade quality of life of great majority) I think that tentative of overthrow them will only be waste of blood.
I feel like the Kulaks and all the other people who get/are purged by the Soviets would strongly disagree with "upgrading quality of life". Stalin and the Soviets are very clearly oppressive and authoritarian, having killed over 23 Million people within the regime. That's hard to see as being a waste of blood, especially if aided out by those who suffered under them such as Rokossovsky (who would have ample cause to revolt as well as support from his troops).

Regardless of pollical reasoning, other anti-communist routes are fun; and at the end of the day that's what matters when playing and making a game.

Reactions:
Lol, because you're truly immune to anti-soviet propaganda ?
Despite all what their go through, they are dissolved by the inside and against popular support, that's enough to proof they popularity.
And Kronstadt was totally insignificant outside the anarcho-communist debate.
nobody is immune, but you ve clearly drank too much red juice
"enough proof of their popularity"

do you realize how politics or popular support works? just because a completely war-weary nation doesn't rise up against a fairly powerful and oppressive government as a whole, it already means there is no popular sympathy for them?

"dissolved by the inside" ???????????????? do you even know what happened? like the two red army attacks and the least 5k battle casulties??? lmao

"insignificant". i mean, the whole anarcho/totalitarian debates around communism were the core political infighting in communist circles, so that debate is already a huge category. Also don't mind, but i would like to mention that due to patomkin's history sailors were always a symbolic part of the communism, so nearly the entire baltic fleet going over is kinda a big thing

Since Soviet do what's they're promise (upgrade quality of life of great majority) I think that tentative of overthrow them will only be waste of blood.
come on, you do realize, that the above mentioned kronstadt rebellion, and the worker-strikes before that were exactly due lack of quality of life promised earlier? nobody is that naive to believe they gonna get what the soviets promised them, the first change towards nep was already announced due to kronstadt during it. As i said above, if quality of life collapses, soviet support would have eroded

Reactions:
I think that too. After 3 revolution and a bloody civil war, the defeat of all foreign expedition, destruction of white armies, dealing with Poland aggression and the HUGE step forward for common people (education, health services, and finally agrarian autonomy) there is no way for other path without huge immersion breaking. The Soviet government have a massive popular support.
There was support from a key class that prevented soviet collapse during Barbarossa like the Germans had hoped, it was the support from the people (bureaucrats, engineers, officers, party officials, NKVD...) that had their status entirely tied to the regime and were very loyal to the party. But for most of the people... it was fear, especially just after the red terror. The peasant class was especially opressed.

Reactions:
It should also be noted that even if the vast majority of ethnic Russians, which isn't quite true, supported the soviet government, according to the 1937 census, they constituted a little over 58% of all citizens of the USSR.

On the other hand, all minorities, mostly more or less oppressed (I don't want to use stronger words, because of the rules), could also become supporters of well... any other authority. So I see that there is a potential for a relatively likely, though very difficult to implement, an alt historical scenario of a change of power, even to a non-communist one.

Reactions: