HOI4 Dev Diary - Patch 1.3.3 Update #2

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Great to hear that you are making improvements to the goo' ol' Clausewitz engine. Will the improvements carry over to CK2 and EU4?

Also, is the AI now properly lend-leasing other AI nations? I am pretty sure that this is not the case in the current build.

Isn't this resource lack tweak really going to screw over minors and ROTW countries? Or are you also going to tweak worldwide resource distribution a bit?
It's still possible to do crazy stuff if you want to :) You just have to trade a bit more than before.

still possible.png

That Clausewitz Engine improvement: As I understand it, each game has it's own 'Fork' from the base original Clausewitz. Does that mean that your 'fix' can't be used by the other game teams?

• There is one last that is my favorite. In our Clausewitz engine, there was an old code loop that nobody ever dared to touch. It was processing all the user interface elements in a "flat manner" instead of the "tree hierarchy". This means, that the more windows and buttons we add to the game, this loop was heavier and heavier. And the windows didn't even had to be shown for it to slow down the game. We always knew about this infamous spot, however reworking it without breaking all the interfaces was nearly impossible. Until now. I found the way! Previously that code loop had ~120 000 passes in each frame, now it's under 700, processing only the necessary interface elements. By that I mean, when you are looking at the technology trees, we are not processing through the hidden production windows and buttons, etc.
If this is a Clausewitz issue, is this a problem that exists in the other games? And if so will this fix carry over?

@TomaszKowalczyk please tell me that fix to the user interface processing can also be rolled out into the other Clausewitz engine games? Or was it unique to the iteration of Clausewitz that is used in HOI IV ?
I am already talking about that change with the other teams. They will most likely migrate the fix if their project is still using the same code base.

I know just barely enough about programming to be utterly fascinated by all the info about the optimization. Its very fun to hear, even if its purpose, in the end, is to not be noticed.

Last edited:
Can you elaborate this a bit more?

I understand that the penalty for missing a resource increases based on the amount of how much you are missing overall (not just that production line).
But it leaves many details still open.
E.g.
1) Can I still have my high priority lines with full efficiency? (I.e. they get max resources, while other lines are missing)
2) If my production line needs e.g. only steel and I have none to give to it what will be the effeciency?
3) Is there a difference in the effeciency of one line if there are other lines missing steel tool?
4) What if I need 3 resources for my line and have plenty of two but absolutely none of the 3rd in my country? Will I get 100% penalty?

1. yes, its not a global penalty its an increasing penalty for each factory lacking resources effectively (but depends on how many resources each factory uses too, so goes faster for inf weapons 3 than 1)
2. Lets use an example and maybe it becomes clearer. My nation has a total of 9 steel. each factory uses 3 so to makeit extra clear I used up all steel on the first line. Second line gets no steel:
Untitled.png

Thats 5% penalty by each missing resource (factory wants 3, we lack 3)

if we switch to Weapons 2 which needs only 2 steel per factory there is still no steel, but penalty is smaller:
Untitled.png

if we add more factories (more need) the penalty goes up, but doesnt affect output of stuff coming before it. so:
Untitled.png

Clearer now?

3. only if its lines before it (higher priority) that "took" the steel. So priority matters just like the old system worked
4. it used the biggest bottleneck as limit, so if you have 2 of 3 resources you still get the penalty. It was too easy to ignore oil etc since most of those lines used so much steel before.

Which day is the patch going to be released?

We will have an open beta quite soon (could happen tomorrow if tests pass). Actual release is earlist possible some time next week, possibly longer.

Another question that the army list qol change made me think of. Will you implement ways to sort the divisions in an army list the same way we can in the army overview tab?

its on our list of stuff we'de like to do (as in: add sorting and filtering etc)

Well, actually Greece is the one minor that already has ahistorically high amounts of ressources...

which is why I asked him to play Turkey next. They get hit hardest by many of the changes

There is one last that is my favorite. In our Clausewitz engine, there was an old code loop that nobody ever dared to touch. It was processing all the user interface elements in a "flat manner" instead of the "tree hierarchy". This means, that the more windows and buttons we add to the game, this loop was heavier and heavier. And the windows didn't even had to be shown for it to slow down the game. We always knew about this infamous spot, however reworking it without breaking all the interfaces was nearly impossible. Until now. I found the way! Previously that code loop had ~120 000 passes in each frame, now it's under 700, processing only the necessary interface elements. By that I mean, when you are looking at the technology trees, we are not processing through the hidden production windows and buttons, etc.
Interesting, is this and any other engine improvements you do getting ported to Stellaris, CK2 and EU4?

@podcat

This was a very interesting diary, and the kind I'd definitely like to see more of. As I said on the previous diary, I think that a general bugfix/improvement/QoL patch after each DLC is a very good idea.

Two UI requests I would make:
  • a call to arms (allies, subjects) notifier
  • a complete list of ships, not just fleets; e.g. name, location, type, etc. (right click to zoom in on one)
Someone should also update the 'Ships Lost' list to include ships sunk by aircraft; currently it only accounts for losses to submarines or ships, and so it's possible - and indeed likely - that a whole bunch of ships will be missing from the list, and so you can often be looking for ships you think were sunk but aren't sure how, when, or by what. In fact, the list could also display a date next to the sinking of each ship.