HOI4 Dev Diary - New Zealand & Combat Log

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Will the combat log history take into account encircled troops that your army overrun ? So that you know how many enemy divisions you captured ? And since now casualties are loggued, could we hope some day, inflicted casualties could be taken into account for peace conference ? In Hearts of Iron 3 it was one of the things I hated, me, the player, I was doing all the hard work, but the AI was taking territories, thanks to my success and kept these after the war. Would be nice to see that thing change.

Reactions:
@podcat Is it possible to add "Manpower lost" in the left DLC-Screen for the enemy? Like a rough estimate? And does this count different enemy nations as one? E.g. if I fight the allies and there are Canadian, British and Indian troops, I can see their combined lost equipment?

Reactions:
A iant +1 for the Combat Log, more statistics is always a good thing! I do hope we also get detailed naval statistics in this expansion like in HOI III. The sunken ships register was always a fun little thing to watch.

@podcat Is it possible to add "Manpower lost" in the left DLC-Screen for the enemy? Like a rough estimate? And does this count different enemy nations as one? E.g. if I fight the allies and there are Canadian, British and Indian troops, I can see their combined lost equipment?

you can toggle a detailed or not list. if its not detailed its all summarized into one type and you wont see country specifics. As for manpower, maybe.. I'll check.

@podcat, is there any chance to have a dev dairy on the new art and 3d models added in TFV? There looks to be a lot of it, and I love that kind of stuff!

yes :)

Will the combat log history take into account encircled troops that your army overrun ? So that you know how many enemy divisions you captured ? And since now casualties are loggued, could we hope some day, inflicted casualties could be taken into account for peace conference ? In Hearts of Iron 3 it was one of the things I hated, me, the player, I was doing all the hard work, but the AI was taking territories, thanks to my success and kept these after the war. Would be nice to see that thing change.

I'd like to count casualties and warscore better in the future yeah. Just looking at terrtiorial conquest doesnt tell the whole story. overruns should count as (very) one sided combats

Reactions:
I wonder...is there any historicity to the Big Bob though? I know all about the emergency home-defense type design for the Bob Semple Tank; but Big Bob (the super-heavy in the New Zealand tree) seems to me like a horrible Easter egg more than anything any of us can take seriously.

Reactions:
I wonder...is there any historicity to the Big Bob though? I know all about the emergency home-defense type design for the Bob Semple Tank; but Big Bob (the super-heavy in the New Zealand tree) seems to me like a horrible Easter egg more than anything any of us can take seriously.
New Zealand didn't have a domestic super heavy-tank program. There's a reason the Bob Semple 'tank' was so... unique. :D

Reactions:
It's likely as historical as the Italian super-heavy, that is, not really.

Reactions:

If you want to take the game seriously you can remove the SH tank slot from it altogether to be honest :)

( So I just ignore it and let people who are less serious enjoy it, it's a game for fun after all )

Reactions:
It's likely as historical as the Italian super-heavy, that is, not really.
Well at least with Italy wasn't there at least, nominally speaking, some talk about it and maybe a couple rough sketches here and there? I just don't see us having even of that for the Big Bob.

If you want to take the game seriously you can remove the SH tank slot from it altogether to be honest :)

Oh I know, but there's stretching things with prototypes and what-ifs and the like...and what they've done here, in my mind.

Anyways...

Reactions:
Well at least with Italy wasn't there at least, nominally speaking, some talk about it and maybe a couple rough sketches here and there? I just don't see us having even of that for the Big Bob.
the italian super heavy is actually from a joke thread here on the forum ;) Big Bob is just a crazy thing and I suspect if NZL had made a super heavy it would have been crazy like that.

Reactions:
Any eta on release date?

Reactions:
Not sure if I understand the purpose of the first screen in the combat log, however the equipment log is very nice. Was well needed!

it gives you summaries of losses from combats that have happened. It lets you see for example how much losses you actually take from attrition, air and enemy fire. hard to get by just observing combats (and doing it on all is hard if you dont pause all the time)

Reactions:
@podcat
"Manpower losses" are quite useless without context. What does that number tell us? If I lose 30k men, is that good or bad? The proper context would be "casualties inflicted". With that number I finally know what my 30k casualties mean. If I inflicted significantly more casualties on the enemy, then my troops performed well and I don't have to re-think anything. However, if "casualties inflicted" is like 10k, then that tells me to quickly re-think my strategy.

Reactions:
@podcat
"Manpower losses" are quite useless without context. What does that number tell us? If I lose 30k men, is that good or bad? The proper context would be "casualties inflicted". With that number I finally know what my 30k casualties mean. If I inflicted significantly more casualties on the enemy, then my troops performed well and I don't have to re-think anything. However, if "casualties inflicted" is like 10k, then that tells me to quickly re-think my strategy.

You should be able to see a trend or ratio by observing manpower lost in the individual battles though. Although I agree that an overall count could be useful.

(and it seems podcat aswell)

@podcat Is it possible to add "Manpower lost" in the left DLC-Screen for the enemy?
As for manpower, maybe.. I'll check.

Might be better to put it at the top though, since it belongs together with the context of manpower lost vs manpower casualties inflicted.

Reactions: