HOI4 - Dev Diary - June 17th - Patch 1.1 "Red Ball Express"

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Some very nice changes here.

QUESTION: Does the Aggressive battleplan force the AI to care less for supply and push with overwhelming force in places like Africa, India or Siberia?

Reactions:
Maybe my brain is a bit slow but I don't really get how this changes ai behaviour. Will for example the Sovjets no longer be able to barge through my Reich because they are at war with some obscure Ally nation thus making my invasion of them...akward?

yeah, its to solve that basically

Reactions:
Any news on improved use/update of the division templates?

Reactions:
@podcat Can we please have a toggle button for AI control of where your divisions are being deployed with a front line? It's an issue for me and other players that you can't get the planning bonus without the AI often moving your troops where you don't want them, so a button to just make the AI do nothing in each army would be great.

Also: is it possible to make it so that the same front line can be used for multiple nations? Saves us the trouble of having to make 3 separate ones for Belgium, Netherlands and Luxembourg for example.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Any changes planned to fix/change AI behavior when fighting in places like Sahara and Africa in general? I wish Italy and UK focused more on the historical Libya/Egipt frontline.

I second that question. Though for the time being, I recommend grabbing the No Man's Land mod from Steam which brings back some impassable provinces like HoI3 had.

Reactions:
@podcat @SteelVolt - Could we have button that would allow us to prevent our divisions on the front line to strategically redeployed? Because often you'll see divisions shuffled across the front line, during war and engagements with enemy, with divisions moving along the lines and getting only fraction of ORG because, strategic redeployement? It is often the problem when you have weaker forces on a front line, because half your units will end up with practically no ORG. (Or if you don't babysit them enough, AI will manage to get 10 divisions from 24 to get Overrun, even though sitting behind major river crossing while being dig in)

Reactions:
@podcat Can we please have a toggle button for AI control of where your divisions are being deployed with a front line? It's an issue for me and other players that you can't get the planning bonus without the AI often moving your troops where you don't want them, so a button to just make the AI do nothing in each army would be great.

Yeah, that would make a great 4th option for the AI management. Turn off completely.

Don't get me wrong, I love the way the AI can help avoid a lot of micro, but there are specialized situations where I might want total control.

Reactions:
@podcat @SteelVolt - Could we have button that would allow us to prevent our divisions on the front line to strategically redeployed? Because often you'll see divisions shuffled across the front line, during war and engagements with enemy, with divisions moving along the lines and getting only fraction of ORG because, strategic redeployement? It is often the problem when you have weaker forces on a front line, because half your units will end up with practically no ORG. (Or if you don't babysit them enough, AI will manage to get 10 divisions from 24 to get Overrun, even though sitting behind major river crossing while being dig in)

Hopefully they are looking at this. Quill18 had a horrible time in the 3 day war livestream yesterday as Russia because of this.

Reactions:
Thank for the diary and the upcomming changes. Has the build preference for other countries also been looked at? I have seen Belgium and the Netherlands build a lot of colonial troops which are next to useless (especially those of the Dutch which consist of only 2 infantry regiments). This makes them walkovers for Germany.

Hopefully they are looking at this. Quill18 had a horrible time in the 3 day war livestream yesterday as Russia because of this.
It's strange because there is a strategic deployment button, and it should be off by default. So, if it is happening automatically as part of battle plans then it could be a bug. I doubt it is intended...?

For peace deals, maybe have some kind of veto? Especially against AI who may ask for something really stupid... Like nationalist Spain trying to puppet russia after Germany and Japan have carved it up. Or at least maybe some kind of 'im going to want these states' so the AI should avoid those when peacing (at least of they dont want your wrath).

Also, leaving factions... It should be easier... And why are all these wars joining? Some shouldnt.
I was China on a mission to unite to our former glory, trying to join Sinkiang to my ranks, but USSR invited them to faction, I was axis already... but then Germany invaded Poland and so Allies declared the entire faction?? I did nothing wrong here...

Reactions:
For peace deals, maybe have some kind of veto? Especially against AI who may ask for something really stupid... Like nationalist Spain trying to puppet russia after Germany and Japan have carved it up. Or at least maybe some kind of 'im going to want these states' so the AI should avoid those when peacing (at least of they dont want your wrath).

Also, leaving factions... It should be easier... And why are all these wars joining? Some shouldnt.
I was China on a mission to unite to our former glory, trying to join Sinkiang to my ranks, but USSR invited them to faction, I was axis already... but then Germany invaded Poland and so Allies declared the entire faction?? I did nothing wrong here...

Finland didn't do anything wrong either but siding with the Germans meant the allies had ti declare on them

Reactions:

I think that might be something worth looking at. But as a first quick solution to make it less of a problem I have increased the minimum size of the path for the SR to activate (there is also a define added for this, so it can be modded to be even larger.)

Reactions:
Sounds good so far - regarding the interest new AI plan settings, would one of these also encourage the AI to counter-attack when on garrison or fallback line orders and the enemy lands or pushes through in a weak area (and even better, encourage it to not over-defend one province while leaving an adjacent one very weak)? For example, I've seen the AI with a fallback line have three adjacent provinces with 6 divisions, 1 division, 3 divisions assigned. No reason I could see in terms of terrain or forts to leave the middle province with only one. The opposing AI of course attacked the province with 1 division, pushed it back and broke through but the adjacent 9 division never reacted to reinforce the 1 division when if only 1-2 divisions had moved over automatically, the enemy would not have won the battle.

One other thing - I will be ecstatic if the military access issue and all the bizarre behavior it causes is actually fixed. Please make that right.

In addition, please look at how the AI builds medium armor and adjusts its division templates. Some good mods out there already have found and fixed serious issues with this.