• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

HOI4 Dev Diary - Intel

Hi everyone! Next to last dev diary before christmas, and today we are going to talk about intel. We have been talking about ways to get intel a bit in previous diaries, like code cracking, scout planes and spies but not really talked about the system as a whole. So lets get to it!

Before intel was based essentially on comparing two nations crypto tech levels and it was a flat value covering everything. To make this more interesting we are splitting it into 4 separate values: Civilian/Industry Intel, Army Intel, Navy Intel, Air Intel. These affect what you can see in our new intel ledger, that replaces the little intel bit in the diplomacy interface from before for people with La Resistance:
upload_2019-12-11_12-24-29.png

Each of the tabs cover each type of intel (here we have civilian/industry selected), and they also come with mapmode information. As an example in the one above we aggregate building values as you zoom out (if you zoom in you see the same by state). This can help you when figuring out where to bomb or where and what kind of sabotage can be most effective.

The more intel you have the more information is displayed, we break down the levels in a tooltip per category:
upload_2019-12-11_12-37-57.png

So right now I can see how many army techs have been researched, but not specifically which. That requires 70% but then you can look at their tech tree. If I had 5% more I could see roughly how many of each division template the other nation had. At the moment I can only see that they exist but no real info about what they contain.

The army intel tab also lets you get a breakdown of the enemy stockpile of equipment.

Naval and air are similar:
upload_2019-12-11_12-44-10.png

upload_2019-12-11_12-44-42.png

Naval intel mapmode is quite powerful and at high intel levels will let you see where the enemy is placing certain missions
upload_2019-12-11_13-2-10.png

Intel can come from many different sources, for example:
- Spy networks
- Infiltrated spy assets
- Captured enemy spies
- Radar
- Broken Ciphers
- Scout planes
- Fighting the enemy in land combat
- Fighting the enemy in air combat
- Fighting the enemy in naval combat
And probably some I forgot.

Each source has a max it can contribute and may affect different intel values in different ways. For example if you have a spy network over the enemies coast, or scout naval areas with traffic you will get more naval intel. Each source also decays over time so its important to actively do things to keep your intel levels current and make sure you combine many sources to get as much intel as possible.

Here I have multiple sources:
upload_2019-12-11_13-17-34.png

Do note that the biggest chunk here is me doing some quick events with rewards of intel to cheat my way to quick screenshots ;). Also note that simply being democratic and having open trade laws make hiding the civilian part of your intel hard.

Knowing what kind of build strategy, templates, tech and stockpile an enemy has can be very useful allowing you to counter and attack them in the best way possible, but there is also direct advantage from relative intel which replaces the crypto level comparison from before.
upload_2019-12-11_13-35-41.png

See you next week for more cool stuff, and don't forget to tune into twitch at 16:00CET where we will be showing of France for the first time (aka watch Daniel accidentally leak stuff).

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
For air intel, could you please show standardized models for clarity (if it's a naval bomber I or II, ...); this should also be done in the air zone screen when you hover over enemy planes. It currently only shows the flavor names, so unless you know by heart each planes it's difficult to make sense of it.

Similarly for the naval intel, do we get info for the templates/stats or only the name?

Does higher cryptology give a static boost and if it does is it listed under events? Obviously numbers aren’t final I’m just seeing that other than things the target country does, swing democratic, free market etc. there doesn’t seem to be intel gathered by you without direct action

Naval intel mapmode is quite powerful and at high intel levels will let you see where the enemy is placing certain missions

Have you worked more on the naval AI? Because currently it is unable to assign missions in any logical way; it's typical to get strike forces with no patrols for example.

It looks great and I’ve really enjoyed reading all the dev diaries. But I do wonder when the dlc will be released. And when we get to peek at Portugal’s focus tree if it hasn’t been leaked yet. Can’t wait until next week and I’ll see what you post then.

Are you able to keep past intel reports? I mean that when your intel level drops, do you suddenly forget that your target used to have Medium Arnour 1939, but now you have no idea because you can no longer see their researched tech levels, and your cleaning lady threw away the old report you were too busy at the time to read.

Also, will the division template intel show only templates in use (1+ division deployed/in training). Judging by the sheer number of templates my subject nations generate over time, knowing about a target's potential templates will be meaningless (hmm...36 variations of Infantry division - that should be a standardisation/logistics nightmare).

Naval Intel seems like a dream come true for any British or American player as you have more tools to seek that decisive battle against the elusive enemy fleets.

Now, can you also know the current location of their fleets to do a Port Strike?

I fear it could be way to much to Micro for me now. Intel seems very important or powerful to have over an enemy and you have to manage so much now only to not fall behind in MP for example.

Is the Ai trained to adjust strategies based off of intel?
Ai uses intel for evaluating numbers and stuff in the background. Other than that we havent done any specific ai strategies for this atm, although its certainly possible in the future. Its the kind of thing that takes quite a bit of time.

Does this mean we can finally see what our allies have in terms of equipment, fuel and research ?

yes

Does higher cryptology give a static boost and if it does is it listed under events? Obviously numbers aren’t final I’m just seeing that other than things the target country does, swing democratic, free market etc. there doesn’t seem to be intel gathered by you without direct action
well, cracking someones code does give a lot. The levels of cryptology now only decide how long it takes to crack. The cracking itself has a separate source with separate decay etc

Does intel still provide any modifiers in combat like it used to? Or this will be only for those without La Resistance?

Are you able to keep past intel reports? I mean that when your intel level drops, do you suddenly forget that your target used to have Medium Arnour 1939, but now you have no idea because you can no longer see their researched tech levels, and your cleaning lady threw away the old report you were too busy at the time to read.

Also, will the division template intel show only templates in use (1+ division deployed/in training). Judging by the sheer number of templates my subject nations generate over time, knowing about a target's potential templates will be meaningless (hmm...36 variations of Infantry division - that should be a standardisation/logistics nightmare).

gotto check but I dont think you can see templates that arent in use so that limits the list.
Past reports are not saved although we do have some graphs etc for production numbers of ships/industry etc where you can see over time if you are wearign them down or not

I fear it could be way to much to Micro for me now. Intel seems very important or powerful to have over an enemy and you have to manage so much now only to not fall behind in MP for example.

Its mostly passive stuff actually, and you get a fair amount simly from actively fighting them so I wouldnt be too worried. Scouts can be assigned to armies, networks manage themselves and crypto cracking takes months to do so its not a huge attention seeker.

Does intel still provide any modifiers in combat like it used to? Or this will be only for those without La Resistance?

yeah see last screenshot. Its for everyone. The ledger GUI and various other ways to gain intel other than the basics are LaR exclusive tho.

Question will for example the USA be very good at spying due to all the immigrants and cultures they historically house?
not unless they invest in recruiting like that but its a pretty cool idea. Operatives with local tags (so sending an italian-american to spy in italy) do give better results

I don't understand the confusion about naval numbers. Any capital ship financed, builded and enroled was a front page news article in all nations of the world - and still is. Everything that happend to them was a matter of national pride. Repair and upgrades was wiedly reported. Even during the war. Seeing France having 3 to 6 BB as Germany requires a lack of ability to read French newspapers. Sorry, but BB, CV, HC and even LC should be known as long as your diplomats have funding to buy a newspaper. You should know numbers, names and operational status.