HOI4 Dev Diary - India - Struggle for Independence

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Subject Forces
As I hinted at last week the new autonomy system allows you to recruit forces from your subjects
This makes me wonder, does it mean with this update you're removing the mechanics where the members of an alliance would over time effectively just transfer control of their entire armies to the leader? Because otherwise there doesn't seem to be any reason to use this new recruit method, you'd be getting control over the RAJ army anyway, without these new drawbacks/mechanics.

(I think it'd be a good move, mind you, there's few things sillier than Italy in 1940-41 only having like 20 divisions because they sent 100+ to Germany which is using them for everything but to defend their allies... but just curious)

Reactions:
With almost every country having a NF for nukes, there needs to be some way to control proliferation. Maybe an ultimatum to enforce disarmament outside your faction and options for factions to regulate nuclear research amongst their own members? As it stands now everyone will eventually have nukes if you play long enough, even generics like Argentina.

Reactions:
I like the idea of having to stave off a famine, but I wish the DD went into some detail of what the actual effects are if you fail. Do you lose manpower and perhaps factories?
There are really heavy penalties to industry, conscription and national unity

If India becomes a dominion, will there be an event to give them an india leader instead of Linlithgow?
yes

Will there be any representation of the Princely States or the post-independence conflicts they triggered, like Operation Polo and the Kashmir crisis?
We dont represent them post-independence. It would be nice, but we focus on the WW2 stuff first.

@podcat Historically, high ranking officers from India were from british ascendance, and it was the same after war, but gradually native hindus became leaders of the indian army. In the game, a country can only fit in one category in the 00_names file, making India stuck with english name for their generals/admirals even if it became independant. Is there any change in this ?
Ooh wait could India and the Raj be seperate tags, thus allowing a) different name lists b) neutral independent india and c) different cores.

we are actually adding neato stuff where you can change the names/flags/name lists etc of nations through command. I think modders will love it. we'll have details on it in a later diary

Reactions:
With almost every country having a NF for nukes, there needs to be some way to control proliferation. Maybe an ultimatum to enforce disarmament outside your faction and options for factions to regulate nuclear research amongst their own members? As it stands now everyone will eventually have nukes if you play long enough, even generics like Argentina.

I hope we have strategic ressource in a DLC later, so even if every countries can research nuclear bomb you need uranium for make it.

Reactions:
I must say as an Indian, no game company has made me quite as happy as PDS with all of its games (CK2, EU4 etc) featuring India. Love that India is represented in some way or another in all their titles. This DLC has me so giddy :D

This looks great. I dont see why some of the national focus trees matter, they seem to be "chose the bonus" or "chose the a-history" but this looks like something that adds to immersion by exploring some of the constraints of the Indian movement and the British in India.

the only problem i see, is what if you are playing as Raj/India, and the AI UK decides 'im going to steal all your manpower' and makes 100 divisions (joking, dont take this seriously as a realistic number) and you cant create your own army because UK stole all your manpower?

I check the forum every couple of weeks to see the state of game improvements and the next release. So I kind of get tired of reading about all this work being put in to minor countries and other bells and whistles when the game has so many real issues - like the AI, reports/notifications, Air War, Sea War, battle planner, oob, etc.

South Africa and India? It was World War 2, they were called minor countries for a reason.
Once we can effectively play major countries and get tired of that, then we can mess around with minor countries that have little impact on the overall World War.

See ya in a couple of weeks :cool:

Reactions:
I might have misunderstood, but does changing autonomy level change the ratio of manpower and/or equipment for subject forces?
If it does, would that not potentially cause some severe issues when changing autonomy level?

Will the Dominions of the British Empire ever choose to go Communist/Fascist if Historical Focus is off? Seems like in the current build that happens very rarely if at all among major powers/nations with the generic focus tree.

Please give us some of those as forum avatars. Oh pretty please.

Reactions:
South Africa and India? It was World War 2, they were called minor countries for a reason.
Once we can effectively play major countries and get tired of that, then we can mess around with minor countries that have little impact on the overall World War.

You do know India had the largest volunteer army in the war (and in human history too) right? they were no minor player in that regard, men from The Raj fought in Africa and Southeast Asia. In fact their main theater, the Burma campaign is one of the most ignored, yet one of the significant campaigns of the war

Reactions:
Good this looks good keep it up.

Not trying to be negative but the last few diaries have all made me think the same question. Why does someone playing a WWII game care about Indian independence? Canada moving away from being a dominion of England etc. It makes sense in an EU style game that's going to last 400 years, to watch your empire go from a small country to a large empire. A game about WWII has a much smaller scope so there seems to be little benefit here. I'm sure there's an aspect I'm missing here so if someone could help open my eyes I would appreciate it.

Reactions:
I honestly wish there wasn't the major/minor classification in the game. There are a lot of countries that had a significant presence, and made major contributions during the war, but it feels like they don't get any respect from some people because they don't have the 'Major' tag.

It's one of the reasons I'm glad to see work being done on the Commonwealth countries, and I hope to see more content for both the Asian and Balkan areas.

Reactions: