HOI4 Dev Diary - India - Struggle for Independence

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
we are actually adding neato stuff where you can change the names/flags/name lists etc of nations through command. I think modders will love it. we'll have details on it in a later diary

Oh gosh you're making me the happiest man on earth. Additionaly if we can change the country's name with commands independently of it ideology it will be the biggest Christmas gift for modder we can expect :D

Reactions:
we are actually adding neato stuff where you can change the names/flags/name lists etc of nations through command. I think modders will love it. we'll have details on it in a later diary

Does this mean that Vichy France will only exist as a result of the Armastice event, and regular Fascist France will have a different name? I hope so :)

Also applies to "Reorganized Nationalist China", which isn't a great name if China isn't a Japanese puppet.

Reactions:
I honestly wish there wasn't the major/minor classification in the game. There are a lot of countries that had a significant presence, and made major contributions during the war, but it feels like they don't get any respect from some people because they don't have the 'Major' tag.
The full term is Major Power & Minor Power. It does not deal with how important the country was in the war or how big it was. How many tanks did China, India or Brazil produce a month? What was their Battleship production during the period? What was their daily Aircraft production?

A Major Power has a possibility to take over all or part of the world during the time period of the game (1936-46). This is not EU 20th Century (that could be a nice game) where you can take a Minor Power & realistically build it up over a longer period of time (see China).

I know many of you have strong interests in one country & want it well represented in the game. That is good. Just because you can correctly show that country X was important to the war does not make it a Major Power.

Let the Disagrees start!

Reactions:

That is a good (moddable) solution. Although I think that the new mechanic Podcat mentions can help solve not just the French problem but others too. My older idea was to have unique names for some country ideologies when puppeted - so Reorganized Nationalist China would only be called that if a subject of Japan. But just renaming the special cases is probably easier with this new system.

I totally agree that Vichy France makes more sense as an Unaligned/Neutral ideology nation though.

Reactions:
Cheers for the DD Podcat :). Like the look of that Indian focus tree, the new portraits and the way the UI sets out building colonial divisions (and being able to build divisions like that for colonial nations, with 'master nation' equipment, that are deployed in the colonial nation is great. I know it won't be in for TfV, but the French, Dutch and Belgians* did a bit of this as well, and I'm sure modders will take these mechanics and do all sorts of interesting stuff with the various colonial nations). Would be great if down the track this was fleshed out in the base game (although not a priority, I know you've got plenty enough on the 'list of things to do' already :)).

*Although I'm not sure how many, if any, units were raised at the division level by the smaller colonising nations.

the only problem i see, is what if you are playing as Raj/India, and the AI UK decides 'im going to steal all your manpower' and makes 100 divisions (joking, dont take this seriously as a realistic number) and you cant create your own army because UK stole all your manpower?

At least as per the DD, as long as Raj is a colony, it's limited to volunteer manpower only, so even assuming no other limits, they'd have a lot more manpower available should they become independent and move to limited or extended conscription. Indian manpower at 'service by requirement' levels would be truly frightening :).

Many smiles from this direction :D.

Reactions:
Subject Forces
As I hinted at last week the new autonomy system allows you to recruit forces from your subjects. This is done through the normal training & deployment interface where you can pick one of your subject’s division templates which gets copied over to you and is now marked as a subject template.

This sounds like a really cool system. My question would be, is the system only being implemented for the British empire and commonwealth, or will it also be implemented for say: France/Tunisia, USA/Philippines or Italy/Eritrea and Somalia.

Reactions:
*Although I'm not sure how many, if any, units were raised at the division level by the smaller colonising nations.
True, but with HOI IV you can have a 'division' that is just 1 weak small battalion or something between that & a full historical Division of the period. These smaller forces can be helpful to defend ports & other areas not part of the 'main' battle line.

Reactions:
This sounds like a really cool system. My question would be, is the system only being implemented for the British empire and commonwealth, or will it also be implemented for say: France/Tunisia, USA/Philippines or Italy/Eritrea and Somalia.
It would make sense* for them to where they think it would work well in the game.

*I think the Dev Team has a lot of sense.

True, but with HOI IV you can have a 'division' that is just 1 weak small battalion or something between that & a full historical Division of the period. These smaller forces can be helpful to defend ports & other areas not part of the 'main' battle line.

Aye, right you are :). Sorry, I just didn't want to make it sound like implementing it for Belgium or the Netherlands would end up with 100 colonial divisions or something like that. I definitely think it'd be great if they made it into the base game at some stage.

Reactions:
Thanks, this is the type of answer I was looking for. When you say Indian independence was brought up between Roosevelt and Churchill in what context? Concerned about Indian independence? Roosevelt pushing for it?

if I recall the americans pushed quite heavily for it.

it applies for other nations too

One question, would the A.I (UK) actually use the subject forces function?
it doesnt really need to because it doesnt matter that much if the forces is controlled by it or an ai friend with the same rough priorities and abilities.

Reactions:
it doesnt really need to because it doesnt matter that much if the forces is controlled by it or an ai friend with the same rough priorities and abilities.

It could make a difference in terms of equipment available to build forces from the colonial nation though, couldn't it? (Apologies if I'm being dopey and have missed something here).

...the game has so many real issues - like the AI, reports/notifications, Air War, Sea War, battle planner, oob, etc.
From what the Devs have said the AI is being worked on (see earlier DDs), reports/notification are being slightly improved, but you WILL NOT get back to the endless streams of pop-ups from HOI3, the Air and Sea war are being improved, they already talked about improvements to the battle planner, and have said MANY times that while a more indepth OoB would be nice they have no plans at this time to change it.

Reactions:
Wouldn't it matter for actual coordination as well as generals/field marshals?

Speaking of which, any chance it will be easier to coordinate plans like D-Day with AI allies anytime soon? Right now, it feels more like all the Allies are in their own separate wars against the Axis, not that they are working together.

Reactions:
Burma was historically part of the British Raj. It should have it's own tag because it was never part of India-Proper, and India shouldn't get to keep Burma since they had no interest in keeping it, however Burma is rightfully part of the British Raj as a colonial government.

After the 3rd Anglo-Burmese War in 1885, Upper Burma was annexed, and the following year, the province of Burma in British India was created, becoming a major province (a Lieutenant-Governorship) in 1897. This arrangement lasted until 1937, when Burma began to be administered separately by the Burma Office under the Secretary of State for India and Burma. British rule was disrupted during the Japanese occupation of much of the country during the Second World War.

Reactions:

That's really amazing! And more tag dynamism than we've seen in other Paradox games no? I think a great idea to also showcase this idea would be by expanding the Oster Conspiracy. If Czechoslovakia refuses to hand over the Sudentenland, Germany gets thrown into a civil war. But, the player gets the chance to get rid of the NSDAP, and put the Kaiser as the leader, and also replace the flag with the imperial black-white-red horizontal tricolour.

That would be a bit closer to history in regards to the Oster Conspiracy and allow players to truly bring back the Kaiserreich.

Reactions: