• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The Slovaks are a free people who will rise up against the Czechs!
Strange, why did then 55% of Slovaks vote against the split in an unofficial referendum in 1993. Contrary to popular belief, most Slovaks and most Czechs wanted to stay together. That's why the politicians didn't even do an referendum, because they wanted the split, not the people for more power

Seriously, why is there so little jungle in Asia?!
Also ask, why is it so easy to get through he Sahara desert or the Himalayas or the alps by foot. That doesn't make much sense either

I see a number of good things in this DLC, but also see a number of problems.

First thing I spotted was the V3/V4 in the light tank tree. Hungary purchased (I believe) 2 such vehicles from an Austrian company for testing purposes, and rejected them. They went with a Swedish design instead, which became the Toldi (the Toldi II was essentially the same tank, only made completely in Hungary, while the Toldi III was up-gunned from a 20mm AT rifle to a 40mm cannon). Putting the V3/V4 in the production list as a required step before building the Toldi makes about as much sense as requiring the US to build "Locomobiles" (which were harshly rejected and their insistent producer heavily ridiculed by the US Army) before instituting the "Jeep" as the standard light vehicle). BTW - one earlier poster questioned the "hat" on top of the Toldi, which is actually a radio antenna loop. Hungary had begun deploying radio equipment throughout its armed forces in 1934, contrary to HOI not crediting them with it.

Incidentally, while somewhat similar, the armor tree in the Hungarian mod seems to have several details right which the official Paradox tree appears to have gotten wrong.

Reinstating a Habsburg monarch was briefly considered in the early or mid '30s, but the strong political backlash against the idea from several neighboring states led to the conclusion that it would trigger an immediate declaration of war by the Little Entente and France, who were adamantly opposed to any such return. Making it a possibility in the NF tree should bring SEVERE relations issues and a strong possibility of an immediate war. Admiral Horthy (Regent after the removal of the Bela Kun Communist government) and several cabinet members basically vetoed the idea at that point. There has been some speculation that while Horthy himself was not eligible to become King, that his eldest son might eventually have been elevated to inherit the title, had he not been killed in a plane crash later in the war which many speculate was caused by Germany.

One cannot equate "Fascist" with "Nazi" in Hungary, as there was a definitely cold relationship between Hitler and Horthy, and a sense of needing to appease Hitler just enough to stave off an invasion of the country by implementing "halfway measures" on Hitler's demands. Many refugees fled from Hitler's early conquests to Hungary (who admitted them despite Hitler's demands to the contrary), some taking up residence in the Budapest area. Hitler's stubborn defence of Budapest near the end of the war may have had more to do with needing more time to "collect" those people than in any sense of strategic necessity or support for an ally. While Horthy may have been a "right wing" authoritarian, he was also enough of a humanitarian to have defended Hungary's Jewish population to the best of his ability without provoking an invasion, and eventually Hitler tired of the "game" and invaded anyway.

The Communists still had some backing, despite the string of brutal murders conducted by Bela Kun's Communist party in its grab for power, but any strong support had for the most part been crushed by the equally bloody retaliation by the right and center factions. There probably weren't that many people willing to go through that again.

The Little Entente (CZE, ROM, YUG, with French backing) was designed specifically to prevent the reinstatement of the Habsburg monarchy and the return of either Austria or Hungary to prominence. Both Austria and Hungary were intentionally landlocked after WWI, even if it meant turning the coasts over to Italy, which had virtually no ethnic representation in those areas. The Little Entente began to fall apart after around 1933-35, but was still in existence on paper, and would probably have become relevant and active again if conditions had warranted it: the return of the Habsburgs or any territorial grabs by Hungary. All 3 members clearly felt threatened by Hungary's repeated (and consistently ignored) requests to the League of Nations for plebiscites (hinted at in the League charter) in its former territory to allow the residents to freely decide to either remain parts of CZE, YUG, and ROM, or return to Hungarian control, and CZE tried to force a resolution through the League to punish or disband Hungary over it several years before the start of the game. There was also apparently some communication in the mid '30s with Slovenian separatists about breaking away from Yugoslavia and becoming a semi-autonomous protectorate under Hungary, giving Hungary access to a port without actually owning it, but I see little chance that any of the three neighbors would have surrendered territory voluntarily without a fight or outside pressure (as eventually happened in CZE).

There seems to be a shortage of material in English, but former US Ambassador to Hungary J. F. Montgomery's book "Hungary, the Unwilling Satellite" seems to provide a more neutral (but sympathetic) outside view of the events leading up to WWII from a Hungarian vantage point.
Also the little entente started collapsing only in 1936-1937. Hopefully the Czechoslovak focus tree will have, like a strengthen little entente thing as they were the leader of it and so it would make sense and I do hope that the Hungarian restoration has a high chance of war with the little entente of around 80% and then France joining at 60-70% chance, as actually there was a short restoration in 1926 and it ended with the little entente mobilizing and Czechoslovakia threatening war if the king doesn't abdicate and there was a short civil war, between the ones who wanted him to abdicate and the ones who didn't which threatened the little entente and so the attempted restoration and civil war ended with Czech intervention and Czech troops in Budapest. So hopefully, there is also maybe a cvil war china between the democratic+communists and fascists if the Czechs threaten a war with Czech being able to intervene

Looks like they haven't told us yet. June 6 is the one year anniversary of original game release, and they seem to have most of the content revealed, so I assume based on the cadence of the dev diaries, June 6 may be when they are hoping to release... Of course if QA permits.

I don't think that's going to be the case: they tend to give about three weeks to a months' notice of releases and at this point, it is only a bit over a week before the 6th. They might make it for late June, early July.

I don't think that's going to be the case: they tend to give about three weeks to a months' notice of releases and at this point, it is only a bit over a week before the 6th. They might make it for late June, early July.
I thought we would have heard by now the released date. Since we haven't 1 I don't think they have one yet (Not ready so not sure when) & 2 remember Paradox takes July off. I think they are unlikely to release something & then go on break. They need to be around for a few weeks to deal with any important bugs found. So I would say either mid June or early August.

Yeah you are right. They do tend to give more than a week's notice. :(

A man can still hope though :)

Nice expansion to alternative history national focuses for Hungary, I would like to see similar alternative history focus tree for Germany maybe based on Oster Conspiracy in which player will remove Hitler and Nazi from power and restore exiled Wilhelm II as Emperor or become democracy! But don't worry WW2 will still happen because:

1. Wilhelm II surly want revenge for shameful terms for surrender of Germany in WW1 so he will take German army which Hitler rebuild and try to get it.
2. if Germany become democracy WW2 will still happen due Stalin ambition to expand USSR.

Into about Oster Conspiracy for members who don’t know more about it: The Oster Conspiracy of 1938 was a proposed plan to overthrow German Führer Adolf Hitler and the Nazi regime if Germany went to war with Czechoslovakia over the Sudetenland. It was led by Major General Hans Oster, deputy head of the Abwehr and other high-ranking conservatives within the Wehrmacht who opposed the regime for its behavior that was threatening to bring Germany into a war that they believed it was not ready to fight. They planned to overthrow Hitler and the Nazi regime through a planned storming of the Reich Chancellery by forces loyal to the plot to take control of the government, who would either arrest or assassinate Hitler, and restore the exiled Wilhelm II as Emperor.

Only defect of the Hungarian national focus tree : the claims on the south of Poland are totally unrealistic if the Polish national state exists.

These claims are possible about Ruthenia (ie Eastern Galicia populated by Poles and Ukrainians), but not about Western Galicia.

Only defect of the Hungarian national focus tree : the claims on the south of Poland are totally unrealistic if the Polish national state exists.

These claims are possible about Ruthenia (ie Eastern Galicia populated by Poles and Ukrainians), but not about Western Galicia.
I think it is about restoring the Austro-Hungarian borders, which do not correlate to any specific population (like the German claim to Danzig), it will dependt on your troop strenght I would guess, if they will give in.

I think it is about restoring the Austro-Hungarian borders, which do not correlate to any specific population (like the German claim to Danzig), it will dependt on your troop strenght I would guess, if they will give in.
Of course, having Hungary try to restore the Austro-Hungarian borders makes about as much sense as the US trying to reclaim the British Empire's old borders. It wasn't part of their own cultural and ethnic heritage, and not something that they really had any real interest in. IRL, Hungary got pieces of Ruthenia because of Hitler's arbitrary redraw of the borders to suit his own agenda, not because it was part of what Hungary demanded, or because it was part of A-H in the past.

Note too, that a lot of the former Hungarian land that Hungary did NOT get was hinted at by Hitler, dangled as bait to entice their further cooperation in other matters which are not to be discussed on the forums. As one example of the tension and back-and-forth dealings, Hitler at one point "requested" the use of a Jewish "labor detail", and Horthy gave in to the demands. When a second group was requested, Horthy made it conditional upon the return of the first group...which for obvious reasons was not about to happen, although the true magnitude and horror of the situation was still unknown. As described by several people, Hungary's responses to Hitler were along the lines of "bending, in order not to break". Eventually, Hitler occupied the country, and installed a government willing to do what he wanted.

Some of the preliminary information on the Hungarian National Focus tree appears to border on fantasy.