HOI4 Dev Diary - Equipment Conversion & War Update

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Can we increase the Army/Navy/Air XP up to a limit of 999 (from 500) so we can play around with variants more? It doesn't make sense that producing a new tank variant uses an entire year's worth of accumulated Army XP, XP which also needs to be used to update division templates to fit in these new converted machines!

I'd like to see the XP cap lowered to 100 max instead.

For me it makes no sense that you can save up 3 years of experience from fighting with infantry and then dump it all into making a godly max variant Panther on day 1 of researching it...

For me it makes no sense that you can save up 3 years of experience from fighting with infantry and then dump it all into making a godly max variant Panther on day 1 of researching it...

I concur. Tanks development was a continues improvement process. German army did not jump from Panzer IV Ausf. A directly to Ausf. J.

Too much micro, you'd have to make variants all the time to not waste xp. And you can get hundreds of xp in month so it's not so nonsensical. Large naval battles can make lots of xp. You would reach the cap all the time.

Too much micro, you'd have to make variants all the time to not waste xp.

Agreed, so to make the change it also needs to be supported or automated in some way, say for example I set a target variant I want to work towards ( once XP becomes available ), and the game automatically keeps iterating until It reaches this in the same order I put points into the "target". Or maybe this is used to dump XP once I reach the cap or something. Or some limits to how much you can improve newly unlocked vehicles. Lot's of ways to solve the issue, but upping the cap to 999 would only make it worse.

@podcat,

Can a Medium Tank I be upgraded to a Medium Tank II and or, or then to, a Medium Tank III?

That wouldn't make much sense.

Also, we really need more flavorful upgrade options if we can't produce guns and engines separately from the tank.

So 6-8 options that far more radically adjust the tank stats.

With mutually exclusive options, like increasing soft attack vs. hard attack to represent anti-infantry guns.

you can convert directly to upgraded versions, no need for a middle step
Since ships are huge and dont live in the stockpile the same stuff wouldnt really work for them (realistically they would need to sit in port etc). Its something that makes sense to add long term though. Perhaps in an expansion with more naval focus.

Equipment conversion is amazing. For the ships, is it possible to put it in shipyard or sit in port ? The aims is too release the manpower of the obsoleted model. Currently, the only way can do is to destroy it.

@podcat,

Can a Medium Tank I be upgraded to a Medium Tank II and or, or then to, a Medium Tank III?

That wouldn't make much sense.

Also, we really need more flavorful upgrade options if we can't produce guns and engines separately from the tank.

So 6-8 options that far more radically adjust the tank stats.

With mutually exclusive options, like increasing soft attack vs. hard attack to represent anti-infantry guns.
Well, as for Soviets, right now they have the same medium tank I and II. A-32 was a prototype vehicle ("A" is designation of prototypes), which in serial production has become T-34. And as for 1940 and 1941 models there were not many differences.
Soviet armored tree, honestly, is pretty weirdly composed.

I'm confused by the part where a medium tank 1 can be converted into a tank destroyer 2.

A TD is the same hull with a different cannon, right? So I can upgrade a Pz-3 to a Pz-4 with an anti-tank gun, but not to a regular Pz-4? That sounds weird. Unless I missed something?

Well, as for Soviets, right now they have the same medium tank I and II. A-32 was a prototype vehicle ("A" is designation of prototypes), which in serial production has become T-34. And as for 1940 and 1941 models there were not many differences.
Soviet armored tree, honestly, is pretty weirdly composed.
Most tech trees are very weird, like the British tank tree, everything is all over the place. It seems they tailored the build-up of the tank tree to German tank development (which is a good thing for factions like Hungary, whose tank development went among similar lines as the German one, but not so much for other factions like Romania, whose tank tree seems to be a mess as well).

I'm confused by the part where a medium tank 1 can be converted into a tank destroyer 2.

A TD is the same hull with a different cannon, right? So I can upgrade a Pz-3 to a Pz-4 with an anti-tank gun, but not to a regular Pz-4? That sounds weird. Unless I missed something?
Not so weird, since you can put a big gun on a tank chassis but later put an even biggerer gun on it. Kind of like the StuG IV and the JagdPanzer IV, or the JagdPanzer IV and the Nashorn.

Most tech trees are very weird, like the British tank tree, everything is all over the place. It seems they tailored the build-up of the tank tree to German tank development (which is a good thing for factions like Hungary, whose tank development went among similar lines as the German one, but not so much for other factions like Romania, whose tank tree seems to be a mess as well).
When I was thinking about "How I'd make universal tank tree to fit most nations", I somehow managed to find compromise. Even for Germans. They had some number of suitable tank prototypes.

That is general HOI4 problem. It is too focused on guys in stylish Hugo Boss uniform.

I think it's to allow for stuff more like the Hetzer.

It's a 1943 TD (with 60mm armor and 75mm gun) based on a 1939 Light tank.

( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hetzer )

When I was thinking about "How I'd make universal tank tree to fit most nations", I somehow managed to find compromise. Even for Germans. They had some number of suitable tank prototypes.

That is general HOI4 problem. It is too focused on guys in stylish Hugo Boss uniform.
Well to be honest, the tree is rather similar to how tank development works in HoI3.
The case of the Soviet tree is, in my opinion, frankly BIZARRE. They could easily put production tanks in the spots of the tank tree, with for example, light tanks T-26 to BT series to T-60, medium tanks from T-28 to T-34 to T-44 or T-34-85 and heavy tanks from T-35 to KV-1 to IS series. They also made some ludicrous choices in making the upcoming Romanian tree. Just why?

It seems they tailored the build-up of the tank tree to German tank development (which is a good thing for factions like Hungary, whose tank development went among similar lines as the German one, but not so much for other factions like Romania, whose tank tree seems to be a mess as well).
Actually it is much more US like.

Well to be honest, the tree is rather similar to how tank development works in HoI3.
The case of the Soviet tree is, in my opinion, frankly BIZARRE. They could easily put production tanks in the spots of the tank tree, with for example, light tanks T-26 to BT series to T-60, medium tanks from T-28 to T-34 to T-44 or T-34-85 and heavy tanks from T-35 to KV-1 to IS series. They also made some ludicrous choices in making the upcoming Romanian tree. Just why?
T-60 was a dumb choice. Devs didn't get it's idea at all. Just googled "Soviet light tank 1941" and took it.
Really, who cares that T-60 was a typical mobilisation tank, built from automobile parts and armed with plane auto-cannon? Why search for other projects?

Mother of god, is it so hard to make some quality research?

T-60 was a dumb choice. Devs didn't get it's idea at all. Just googled "Soviet light tank 1941" and took it.
Really, who cares that T-60 was a typical mobilisation tank, built from automobile parts and armed with plane auto-cannon? Why search for other projects?
What would you've preferred over the T-60? The BT series? or T-50?

I think it's to allow for stuff more like the Hetzer.

It's a 1943 TD (with 60mm armor and 75mm gun) based on a 1939 Light tank.

( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hetzer )
For such upgrades you need completely different tech system. Something, I suggested a couple of weeks ago - modular one.
When on some level of development you already have some tank but don't have better gun - you need to research it. You researched it - you can improve your tank and some other vehicles that are able to carry it.

its only a small buff compared to techs. As for dispersed vs concentrated I cant say I'm that happy about that part of the tree. I think they should be remade to multiple choices in the future.
index.php

The improved Equipment Conversion improve the efficiency by 40%
while the dispersed industry I improve it by 20%
In my opinion, its quite a significant buff compared to the tech...