• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hi everyone and welcome back to regular weekly dev diaries (if you don't count the april fools one last week). I know you are all super excited to hear what we have been up to since Battle for the Bosporus. The answers to that are going to take a few dev diaries to cover, so I figured I would start with a timeline for you:
  • We recently released 1.10.4 to fix various multiplayer exploits going on, but seems an important case was not detected at the time so we are working on a 1.10.5 to address that soon.
  • Pdxcon is coming up in May so expect to hear some more details there.
  • The yearly anniversary is coming in June so expect some cool stuff and a patch.
  • We are however spending most of our time on the 1.11 Barbarossa update as well as the unannounced expansion that will be released together with it. That's what we will spend most of our diaries on, as well as today!

‘Barbarossa’ and the unannounced DLC will focus on the Eastern Front and the core of Hearts of Iron, which is warfare - particularly land warfare. Historically the Eastern Front was without doubt the most important front for World War II. It was the largest confrontation in history and
is where Hitler’s expansion was first stopped and pushed back signaling the eventual doom of the axis powers. There are several areas we want to improve here. Weather does not feel impactful enough, while historically it had a massive impact. Logistics currently doesn’t have much player interaction and is mostly something you have to deal with only when problems appear, and finally the combat and division meta has been stable (with an emphasis on large divisions) for a long time - something we hope we can shake up. As you can imagine, these are all things that affect the game on a deeper level and take a lot of work to get right.

Today, I’ll give you guys a bit of an overview on the supply aspect, but fair warning: it’s early days and stuff may still change here before we’re done. I’ll probably spend 3+ diaries on supply over the course of the development to cover everything, but I figured it would be nice to hear about the overarching ideas.

The old system worked by having discrete supply areas pathing back to the players capital and keeping track of the bottlenecks. To simplify a bit ;) - those bottlenecks then decided how many units could fit into areas near the front without penalties. The areas themselves were unintuitive to players and required you to check multiple mapmodes to see if you stepped over an edge etc. I do like bottleneck systems though, because feedback is usually immediate, but it suffered from not having much scaling cost as distances increased, so it was hard to use it to limit snowballing. As I mentioned it was also a system you didn't care too much about until you had problems, while historically, logistics was a vital part of planning a campaign. This led to combining the issue with another gripe of ours - that the way fronts moved in WW2 often followed important railroads, but don't really in HOI4. We came to the conclusion that we should try and make a system focused on railways and with a truck based component as a way to get more out of it when away from the rails.

1617799554638.png

In our new system, supply flows from the capital (the total amount available depends on your total industrial base) through railways, where the level of the railway acts as a bottleneck. To transport more, you need a higher level railway (or a bigger port if it goes over water) so the railways are the current bottlenecks in a way. Depending on how much supply is transported you need a certain amount of trains for the rails to perform. Trains are a new equipment type that we will dig into in a future diary (well actually, several types ;P)

An important part of railways is that they are capturable, so as you push into enemy territory you will want to make sure to hold vital railways and capture railway hubs to supply your troops. There is a conversion time here to model the fact that there was usually some repair or re-gauging that needed to happen for attackers.

1617798271066.png

1617799689604.png

Mapmodes are still quite WIP ;)

Rivers also had a huge importance on the eastern front for transport and supply so they will work essentially like basic railroads now, where you need to control both sides of their banks to use them to ship supplies around.

1617798407335.png

Supply is drawn from what we call Supply Hubs now, which are either cities, naval bases, or manually constructed stations along the rails, which have to be linked into the network. Air supply works a bit differently but we will talk about this in the future along with some other supply additions...

The flow of supply from a Hub to a division depends on the terrain/weather etc, and ideally you want to have available trucks here (which is to say, motorized equipment) to increase the amount of supply you get as well as range. Cost of trucks and trains and losses to attrition and bad weather will be a limiting factor on your logistics.

1617798787102.png

Overall, this creates a system where it's strategically sound to fight over railways, prepare for large offensives, to try and bleed each other's logistics capability and to force care when advancing in bad terrain and weather. The result is a much more fun, historical and immersive Eastern Front as well as adding a new layer of invasion planning in the rest of the world.

See you all next week for the next diary!

Last edited:
@podcat This update does not address the main problem with the supply system, that is you just strat bomb a few railroads around the capital and the entire country is out of supply, no matter how large. This is neither realistic nor balanced. There are only two ways you can address that:
1. Dynamic or switchable center source of supply. The center source of supply by default is the capital, but should the capital be unable to be an effective center of supply, the center of supply is switched to a different city.
2. Diminishing effects of supply chain disruptions, the more upstream from the target the disruption. This is a bit gamey, but it also does the trick. Sea routes are treated as one hop, each region is treated as one hop. Supply disruptions 5 hops away are irrelevant to supply, 4 hops only 25% effect, 3 hops 50% 2 hops 75% and one hop at 100%. First solution is better for gameplay, second solution is easier.
Podcat posted in this thread saying they have a way to negate this flaw in the current supply system, but that he will be revealing more about it in a later DD.

• 2Like
Reactions:
@podcat This update does not address the main problem with the supply system, that is you just strat bomb a few railroads around the capital and the entire country is out of supply, no matter how large. This is neither realistic nor balanced. There are only two ways you can address that:
1. Dynamic or switchable center source of supply. The center source of supply by default is the capital, but should the capital be unable to be an effective center of supply, the center of supply is switched to a different city.
2. Diminishing effects of supply chain disruptions, the more upstream from the target the disruption. This is a bit gamey, but it also does the trick. Sea routes are treated as one hop, each region is treated as one hop. Supply disruptions 5 hops away are irrelevant to supply, 4 hops only 25% effect, 3 hops 50% 2 hops 75% and one hop at 100%. First solution is better for gameplay, second solution is easier.
This is only a small part of the new supply system , wait to see all the devs work and then you can ake yourself an opinion

• 2Like
Reactions:
The Yugoslavia tree could use some changes, the aligning with the Comintern path basically locks you out of doing anything with the other Balkan countries. There should at least be more options for using spies and partisans if your country is occupied.

Reactions:
How will horses fit into this system, since it's important to remember that the Wehrmacht, for example, was under-equipped in trucks that they relied heavily on supplies transported by horses.

If you check the "show only dev responses" you'll find

it cant connect into the network as such, but trucks can be used away from rails. Atm trucks is something that may end up changing a bit but the idea is that without them you are basically running with horses so you dont get 0 if you dont have trucks. Oh and there is also some local supply still like before for small amount of troops

So trucks are an improvement on horses. Horses will be used as a fall back and will get you some supplies.

Reactions:
‘Barbarossa’ and the unannounced DLC will focus on the Eastern Front and the core of Hearts of Iron, which is warfare - particularly land warfare. Historically the Eastern Front was without doubt the most important front for World War II.
Awesome! please fix the map along with adding railroads (part 2 of @seattle 's suggestion)
And please implement the suggestions made in @Major Malfunction 's United Soviet Suggestions Recompilation thread and add more planned Reichskomissariats (@opsircrocodile ).

Rivers also had a huge importance on the eastern front for transport and supply so they will work essentially like basic railroads now, where you need to control both sides of their banks to use them to ship supplies around.
Will the size of the river matter for the amount of supply?

How will supply of isolated Islands (e.g. Malta, LOL) work?

Reactions:
Update from my Russia campaign.

I loaded a 1939 bookmark on a high-ish difficulty setting and and declared war on Japan early to have some fun. It's a bit of a gamble with regards to the German invasion, but I figure I'll be all right.

By the summer of 1941, I've browbeaten the Japanese enough to feel comfortable sending my armour and most of my divisions back to Europe, as Germany starts justifying war with the Soviet Union.

July 1941: Germany declares war. With a 1939 start and a Veteran difficulty level, I'm expecting a tough campaign until I can turn things around. The Blitzkrieg machine is poised to push aside my small border force and swiftly advance deep into Russia. With only a token force of greenhorns at the border, I start losing ground at an alarming rate.

Sonic blitzkriefg.jpg

Also July 1941: with nearly no divisions left and its Chinese possessions in tatters, Japan declares war on the Phillipines, and by consequence, the USA.

Japanese tatters.jpg

With no Japanese threat to speak of, the United States decides to send the entire American army to Russia.

Sonic mad.jpg

I hope Barbarossa has an AI upgrade.

• 6Haha
Reactions:
Now that you guys look at land battles again please also add more models for artillery/anti-tank/anti-air, ill gladly pay €60 for that.

1617905726258.png

This one for all 3 gets kinda boring.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
  • 2Love
Reactions:
ITA76 good Things need time and smaller Things not. I would not be surprised if that Refit from the Base-Game will get about 2 Years, if therefore the big open Job-Sites get done (R & D, Land- and Airthings, Advisors, Agency and wahtever important), wich is integrated or have to show up but not working 95 % (100 % you will never get).

oh pretty soon. i like to mix some mechanics diaries in between focus tree diaries, also this time we are probably gonna split some of the focus tree diaries into two because they are quite large this time around.

Okay this has me intrigued to the possible Finnish tree and just how large the Soviet tree is. The more and more I reread this, the more pumped I get for the next DLC. Keep up the great works guys! Can't wait to see the focus trees.

• 1Like
Reactions:
May be wishful thinking but if there is going to be rail networks with the DLC then it would be nice if the supplies provided from the industries would be loaded into the train network using the nearest hub and from there flow down the rail network to the closest consuming army or if not needed getting stockpiled at the nearest hub.

That way it wouldn't have to flow all the way from the capital city to the front, which if we think about isn't realistic anyway. Ontop of that it would become near to impossible to completely choke a countries armies out by just cutting them off from the capital supply lines as they then would be more realistically supplied from their industrial areas across the entire country.

But I guess that it would add too much complexity, especially in terms of calculation power necessary for the game to run smoothly.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Dare I say a June 22nd release date?
I believe the DD said there will be something released in June due to the anniversary of HoI4, but I don't think he was referring to the big patch or DLC itself.

• 2Like
Reactions: