• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hi everyone and welcome back to regular weekly dev diaries (if you don't count the april fools one last week). I know you are all super excited to hear what we have been up to since Battle for the Bosporus. The answers to that are going to take a few dev diaries to cover, so I figured I would start with a timeline for you:
  • We recently released 1.10.4 to fix various multiplayer exploits going on, but seems an important case was not detected at the time so we are working on a 1.10.5 to address that soon.
  • Pdxcon is coming up in May so expect to hear some more details there.
  • The yearly anniversary is coming in June so expect some cool stuff and a patch.
  • We are however spending most of our time on the 1.11 Barbarossa update as well as the unannounced expansion that will be released together with it. That's what we will spend most of our diaries on, as well as today!

‘Barbarossa’ and the unannounced DLC will focus on the Eastern Front and the core of Hearts of Iron, which is warfare - particularly land warfare. Historically the Eastern Front was without doubt the most important front for World War II. It was the largest confrontation in history and
is where Hitler’s expansion was first stopped and pushed back signaling the eventual doom of the axis powers. There are several areas we want to improve here. Weather does not feel impactful enough, while historically it had a massive impact. Logistics currently doesn’t have much player interaction and is mostly something you have to deal with only when problems appear, and finally the combat and division meta has been stable (with an emphasis on large divisions) for a long time - something we hope we can shake up. As you can imagine, these are all things that affect the game on a deeper level and take a lot of work to get right.

Today, I’ll give you guys a bit of an overview on the supply aspect, but fair warning: it’s early days and stuff may still change here before we’re done. I’ll probably spend 3+ diaries on supply over the course of the development to cover everything, but I figured it would be nice to hear about the overarching ideas.

The old system worked by having discrete supply areas pathing back to the players capital and keeping track of the bottlenecks. To simplify a bit ;) - those bottlenecks then decided how many units could fit into areas near the front without penalties. The areas themselves were unintuitive to players and required you to check multiple mapmodes to see if you stepped over an edge etc. I do like bottleneck systems though, because feedback is usually immediate, but it suffered from not having much scaling cost as distances increased, so it was hard to use it to limit snowballing. As I mentioned it was also a system you didn't care too much about until you had problems, while historically, logistics was a vital part of planning a campaign. This led to combining the issue with another gripe of ours - that the way fronts moved in WW2 often followed important railroads, but don't really in HOI4. We came to the conclusion that we should try and make a system focused on railways and with a truck based component as a way to get more out of it when away from the rails.

1617799554638.png

In our new system, supply flows from the capital (the total amount available depends on your total industrial base) through railways, where the level of the railway acts as a bottleneck. To transport more, you need a higher level railway (or a bigger port if it goes over water) so the railways are the current bottlenecks in a way. Depending on how much supply is transported you need a certain amount of trains for the rails to perform. Trains are a new equipment type that we will dig into in a future diary (well actually, several types ;P)

An important part of railways is that they are capturable, so as you push into enemy territory you will want to make sure to hold vital railways and capture railway hubs to supply your troops. There is a conversion time here to model the fact that there was usually some repair or re-gauging that needed to happen for attackers.

1617798271066.png

1617799689604.png

Mapmodes are still quite WIP ;)

Rivers also had a huge importance on the eastern front for transport and supply so they will work essentially like basic railroads now, where you need to control both sides of their banks to use them to ship supplies around.

1617798407335.png

Supply is drawn from what we call Supply Hubs now, which are either cities, naval bases, or manually constructed stations along the rails, which have to be linked into the network. Air supply works a bit differently but we will talk about this in the future along with some other supply additions...

The flow of supply from a Hub to a division depends on the terrain/weather etc, and ideally you want to have available trucks here (which is to say, motorized equipment) to increase the amount of supply you get as well as range. Cost of trucks and trains and losses to attrition and bad weather will be a limiting factor on your logistics.

1617798787102.png

Overall, this creates a system where it's strategically sound to fight over railways, prepare for large offensives, to try and bleed each other's logistics capability and to force care when advancing in bad terrain and weather. The result is a much more fun, historical and immersive Eastern Front as well as adding a new layer of invasion planning in the rest of the world.

See you all next week for the next diary!

Last edited:
I am wondering what you guys have been doing for the past year. It seems like none of what has been presented is really fleshed out. I am not trying to be rude, because what I see looks good. I also realize that it seems like two dlcs are being developed at the same time, but it doesn't feel like anything has been made in the past year. It also sounds like the two dlcs will not be released until September and probably later. So I repeat myself what has been going on since la resistance?
My guess is between completely reworking supply and what sounds like a rework to land combat, they’ve had to try out a few ideas and scrap a few too as this is one of the biggest aspects of the game so they basically have to get this one right or it has the potential to ruin the game. Throw Covid into the mix and the fact that they’ve said hoi4 is a difficult game to develop with all its interconnected parts, makes sense why this one has taken so long.

• 8Like
Reactions:
yes. its quite expensive because we generally want you to use cities and ports and fight for those. you also have new construction options for railways that you can draw etc

We can draw our own railways, we have finally surpassed Victoria 2. No need for Victoria 3 anymore.

• 4Like
Reactions:
Now this is logistics! This will properly anchor battles around crucial crossroads like the real thing. Also, are there any plans to show river names? They're going to matter even more now that they can play a logistical role.
What kind of amateur doesn't know the major rivers: Rhine, Volga, Dnepr, Dnestr, Vistula, Danube, Sava, Drina, Drava, Po, Vuoksi, Rhine, Meuse, Mosell, Somme, Thames, Oise, Marne, Elbe, Oder, Vltava, Prut, Bug, South Bug, Daugava, Luga, Volkhov, Luga, Neva, Sver, Isar, Tiber, Ebro, Tajo, Tisa, Morava, Loire, Rhone, Seine, Aisne, Garonne, Adige, Morava, Narew, San, Bzura etc. Kappa o_O

• 7Haha
  • 2Like
Reactions:
My guess is between completely reworking supply and what sounds like a rework to land combat, they’ve had to try out a few ideas and scrap a few too as this is one of the biggest aspects of the game so they basically have to get this one right or it has the potential to ruin the game. Throw Covid into the mix and the fact that they’ve said hoi4 is a difficult game to develop with all its interconnected parts, makes sense why this one has taken so long.
Yeah your right. Those are some good points I didn't think about. Appreciate the response.

• 3Like
Reactions:
I do like bottleneck systems though, because feedback is usually immediate, but it suffered from not having much scaling cost as distances increased, so it was hard to use it to limit snowballing.
So, does the new system puts a limit on snowballing now? For example, during naval invasion: if you hold one supply area - you are limited by its ports, if you get hold of three areas (without getting any extra ports) - you essentially tripped tripled your port capacity, rendering bottleneck irrelevant.

Last edited:
Reactions:
we got historical ones but player can upgrade and build more. In europe its more about upgrading, in other areas more on building.

yes terrain impacts cost

it cant connect into the network as such, but trucks can be used away from rails. Atm trucks is something that may end up changing a bit but the idea is that without them you are basically running with horses so you dont get 0 if you dont have trucks. Oh and there is also some local supply still like before for small amount of troops
Important question about trucks: will they consume fuel while active in logistics?
This was a huge factor for the Germans, so I imagine it's a very big necessity for the game as well.

• 4Like
Reactions:
One thing should be done about encircled armies and the post-war game. If a country is overrun with all its divisions encircled, then the country has practically no manpower left for the post-war.

Reactions:
I am wondering what you guys have been doing for the past year. It seems like none of what has been presented is really fleshed out. I am not trying to be rude, because what I see looks good. I also realize that it seems like two dlcs are being developed at the same time, but it doesn't feel like anything has been made in the past year. It also sounds like the two dlcs will not be released until September and probably later. So I repeat myself what has been going on since la resistance?

I would agree that while the system presented looks good and add a new dimension to the game, it is pretty simple and straightforward (wich is not a bad thing at all) and one wonders why it couldn't have been implemented at launch. But I expect that the devs have added a lot of possibilities to interact with this system, as the next dds will most likely show.

With this system in place, making logistics suffer in winter/flood period should be easy as well I imagine; since historically both horses and trucks suffered a lot with those periods.

Also, I really wish some form of horse equipment could be added, similar to some mods; They could tie in to cavalry, horse recon and supply. They are the big thing I don't feel is abstracted too well by either "infantry equipment" nor "support equipment" atm.
Problem with horse equipment is that it isn't something you build at the industry. Horses were something you either had, breeded during the war, or captured from the enemy.
I would still like to see some kind of implementation of horses, at moments you lack trucks or oil, so at least you can still get some supply through.

Reactions:
How does this system affect large countries that does the have the capacity to produce trucks or have limited railways? I.e china? Do they get mules or be able to build new railways?

Reactions:
There are so many good ideas here and the hints about the implementations look really promising!

As a single player, everything depends on whether the AI can handle these. Please allocate time to design, implement, and iterate the AI.

Also, I really hope that there will be many, many bugfixes and improvements to existing AI in the upcoming patches. The bugs and lack of AI strategies really put me off playing at the moment.

Will trucks and trains being used for supplies consume fuel?
I agree with @Fulmen .
With this system it can be made very easily for trains and supply depots to also require manpower.

This game really need manpower sinks that affect mostly countrys with a ton of population while leaving the small ones mostly untouched. (So they can be playable and still have their fun).
The screenshot strongly suggests that they will work like convoys, which do not consume fuel and manpower at the moment. I guess it would be possible for all these vehicles to consume fuel and use manpower. The particular difficulty for fuel is that it inevitably creates a vicious circle (no vehicles → no fuel -> no vehicles). I think Japan and certain other countries might become unplayable because of their historical setups. Also the AI struggles to manage manpower as it is; linking it to vehicles adds a whole degree of complexity. Doesn't seem worth it to me.

It would be a lot cooler if the next DLC is released on the 80th Anniversary of Operation: Barbarossa.
It would be fitting. But it's bad for players if the patch and DLC are very buggy and it's bad for PDX staff if they have 'crunch' (enforced overtime) in order to kill all the bugs.

Good working conditions and playable games are much cooler than meeting arbitrary dates, IMHO.

There are trains, trucks and convoys but what about the good old animal transport!? The absolute majority (~80%) of German supply were operated by Horses and there are countries which not only do not start with trucks researched but also never will have the capacity to build enough of them to use for supply. Will the old and reliable H.A.B. logistics (Horse-and-Buggy) be modelled in any way?
Podcat has answered this above. Horse transport is the default.

• 6Like
Reactions:
You wouldn't believe the orgasmic screeching of joy I did, when I read the topic of this diary. This is SO needed for the game, awesome, just awesome!

Although, there is a question I have. Since supply still flows from the capital, does that mean the current supply exploit will still exist, as in: If you occupy all provinces in the capital state, except the enemy capital itself, the entire country will lose all supply.
Podcat said that this topic will be adressed in a following DD

• 1Like
Reactions:
Will we be able to restrict trucks from being used in logistics? Especially if they require fuel to use, and in regards to a potential shortage of rubber requiring the rationing of trucks.

• 4Like
Reactions:
Will there be an option for having horses instead of trucks for logistics? The German Army had a majority horse drawn logistics in WW2
Reminds me of this quote by Private David Webster from HBO's "Band of Brothers":

"Hey, you! That's right, you stupid Kraut bastards! That's right! Say hello to Ford, and General f***in' Motors! You stupid fascist pigs! Look at you! You have horses! What were you thinking?!?"

- Remnants of Army Group B walking as far west as possible while surrendering to a fully motorized Allied Army moving eastwards (1945)

• 3Haha
  • 1Love
Reactions:
What kind of amateur doesn't know the major rivers: Rhine, Volga, Dnepr, Dnestr, Vistula, Danube, Sava, Drina, Drava, Po, Vuoksi, Rhine, Meuse, Mosell, Somme, Thames, Oise, Marne, Elbe, Oder, Vltava, Prut, Bug, South Bug, Daugava, Luga, Volkhov, Luga, Neva, Sver, Isar, Tiber, Ebro, Tajo, Tisa, Morava, Loire, Rhone, Seine, Aisne, Garonne, Adige, Morava, Narew, San, Bzura etc. Kappa o_O
Funny anecdote, only a few weeks ago I realized that the Hungarian state Transdanub is called like that, since it lies behind/trans the Danube if looked from the Hungarian capital.
Although in my defense, as a German the river is called Donau for me, and the state is still called Transdanubien in the German version of the game. ^^

• 3Haha
Reactions:
Don't forget the Asia-Pacific theater as well:)

Now hopefully the Victoria 3 team is taking notes on this as well, as it would be extremely useful to represent the shift to modern warfare and logistics during the period of that game.

• 5Like
Reactions:
Would we be able to construct new railway lines?
like upgrading and improving the great star of france?

Reactions: