• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hi everyone and welcome back to regular weekly dev diaries (if you don't count the april fools one last week). I know you are all super excited to hear what we have been up to since Battle for the Bosporus. The answers to that are going to take a few dev diaries to cover, so I figured I would start with a timeline for you:
  • We recently released 1.10.4 to fix various multiplayer exploits going on, but seems an important case was not detected at the time so we are working on a 1.10.5 to address that soon.
  • Pdxcon is coming up in May so expect to hear some more details there.
  • The yearly anniversary is coming in June so expect some cool stuff and a patch.
  • We are however spending most of our time on the 1.11 Barbarossa update as well as the unannounced expansion that will be released together with it. That's what we will spend most of our diaries on, as well as today!

‘Barbarossa’ and the unannounced DLC will focus on the Eastern Front and the core of Hearts of Iron, which is warfare - particularly land warfare. Historically the Eastern Front was without doubt the most important front for World War II. It was the largest confrontation in history and
is where Hitler’s expansion was first stopped and pushed back signaling the eventual doom of the axis powers. There are several areas we want to improve here. Weather does not feel impactful enough, while historically it had a massive impact. Logistics currently doesn’t have much player interaction and is mostly something you have to deal with only when problems appear, and finally the combat and division meta has been stable (with an emphasis on large divisions) for a long time - something we hope we can shake up. As you can imagine, these are all things that affect the game on a deeper level and take a lot of work to get right.

Today, I’ll give you guys a bit of an overview on the supply aspect, but fair warning: it’s early days and stuff may still change here before we’re done. I’ll probably spend 3+ diaries on supply over the course of the development to cover everything, but I figured it would be nice to hear about the overarching ideas.

The old system worked by having discrete supply areas pathing back to the players capital and keeping track of the bottlenecks. To simplify a bit ;) - those bottlenecks then decided how many units could fit into areas near the front without penalties. The areas themselves were unintuitive to players and required you to check multiple mapmodes to see if you stepped over an edge etc. I do like bottleneck systems though, because feedback is usually immediate, but it suffered from not having much scaling cost as distances increased, so it was hard to use it to limit snowballing. As I mentioned it was also a system you didn't care too much about until you had problems, while historically, logistics was a vital part of planning a campaign. This led to combining the issue with another gripe of ours - that the way fronts moved in WW2 often followed important railroads, but don't really in HOI4. We came to the conclusion that we should try and make a system focused on railways and with a truck based component as a way to get more out of it when away from the rails.

1617799554638.png

In our new system, supply flows from the capital (the total amount available depends on your total industrial base) through railways, where the level of the railway acts as a bottleneck. To transport more, you need a higher level railway (or a bigger port if it goes over water) so the railways are the current bottlenecks in a way. Depending on how much supply is transported you need a certain amount of trains for the rails to perform. Trains are a new equipment type that we will dig into in a future diary (well actually, several types ;P)

An important part of railways is that they are capturable, so as you push into enemy territory you will want to make sure to hold vital railways and capture railway hubs to supply your troops. There is a conversion time here to model the fact that there was usually some repair or re-gauging that needed to happen for attackers.

1617798271066.png

1617799689604.png

Mapmodes are still quite WIP ;)

Rivers also had a huge importance on the eastern front for transport and supply so they will work essentially like basic railroads now, where you need to control both sides of their banks to use them to ship supplies around.

1617798407335.png

Supply is drawn from what we call Supply Hubs now, which are either cities, naval bases, or manually constructed stations along the rails, which have to be linked into the network. Air supply works a bit differently but we will talk about this in the future along with some other supply additions...

The flow of supply from a Hub to a division depends on the terrain/weather etc, and ideally you want to have available trucks here (which is to say, motorized equipment) to increase the amount of supply you get as well as range. Cost of trucks and trains and losses to attrition and bad weather will be a limiting factor on your logistics.

1617798787102.png

Overall, this creates a system where it's strategically sound to fight over railways, prepare for large offensives, to try and bleed each other's logistics capability and to force care when advancing in bad terrain and weather. The result is a much more fun, historical and immersive Eastern Front as well as adding a new layer of invasion planning in the rest of the world.

See you all next week for the next diary!

Last edited:
Will they address the fact that the Germans used gas powered tanks, and the Russians used diesel? The fact that this made virtually any captured fuel basically useless was kind of an important factor in the war, too.

Reactions:
Will they address the fact that the Germans used gas powered tanks, and the Russians used diesel? The fact that this made virtually any captured fuel basically useless was kind of an important factor in the war, too.
So far there's no indication fuel or supply can be captured (infact I believe they said supply can't be captured, which doesn't bode well for fuel capture), so that's kind of a moot question atm.

Reactions:
Yes, looks very good. Cant wait so long for this...

Some Questions:

1. What will be happen if civil war breaks out e.g. Spain (in history it was little bit different but i would thing the complete network would break immediatly for both parties?

2. Kontinentale Öl as decision/focus tree for germany ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kontinentale_Öl ) ?

3. Partisan action against railroads / supply lines?

Italy will after this DLC become far less powerfull, and africa is a terrain no one wants to fight, secondary warplace. Q3 in 2021 or faster i want buy this dlc, so hurry up. Thanks

Very good news.

Just,please,Paradox, listen...make rails user friendly , means ,make army decisions of using supply lines automated. if not decided otherwise by player.
Please make AI armies(players) chosing to advance along those lines, as in RL.
Plese no more Panzerermee(Guderian;)) "chosing "to advance trough Prirpiat marshes , just because why randomly not.

Thank you.

• 3Like
Reactions:
The problem there is that to make Japan slower in invading China, they massively over-buffed China. If you add in a better (more accurate) mechanic that will slow them down in China, you can address the military balance issue there, and so at least partially resolve that issue.
That's why I mentioned China in this thread. I think it would be better if they balanced it such that China is weak, but supply issues require Japan to limit their presence in China as they spend the time to build infrastructure (or railroads now) in newly conquered land. If its like that, then Japan would be able to field a larger army than would be used in China and thus capable of engaging allied colonial possessions before the war in China is done. The problem is that if it is implemented haphazardly then Japan would be nerfed even harder than it already is, since China already gets strong too fast. Also something will need to be done to address the issue of navy and supply, because right now if Japan starts the war with the allies prior to finishing China, then allied submarines can and will destroy the Japanese in China, especially if it's an AI Japan that doesn't Kamikaze or build Naval bombers. Obviously a naval blockade should hurt, but there should be a mechanic such that supplies in Korea and Manchuria mean that the supply cap in China isn't 0.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Wait was there any indication that there'd actually be a tank designer? I need that.
There you go,but take it with a grain of salt

Excellent DD I appreciate your work !

Btw Since it's going to be a land warfare update. Should be expecting something in form of MTG tank designer or it will be decided yet?

I feel like I spoiled enough stuff for today feature wise ;D look forward to future diaries for more stuff

• 2Love
Reactions:
All Axis(germany, japan, italy) in the whole ww2 had always not enough fuel .

In Hoi4 the Axis are far to powerfull at moment.

I really hope this dlc will fix this.

Question: Please explain detailed : if strategic/tactic bombing will have a greater impact after the dlc has been released?

Thanks

Nice, but is coastal shipping to be handled also? This was incredibly important not just for the UK but along the Scandinavian and north German coasts as well. The use of coastal routes, and their interdiction by naval and air forces, was a significant factor in the North Sea, Baltic, Persian Gulf, Pacific Islands, Indian Coast and Mediterranean sea areas, so not really a minor concern...

A big +1 to this. I suspect it won't be part of the design, but I've gone on about this before. The millions and millions of tons shipped using coastal convoys, whether down the coast of Norway, along the coast of North Africa, through the English Channel (by both sides), in the Adriatic and Aegean, and elsewhere were a crucial part of the WW2 logistics effort. However, they've very poorly understood/recognised, and I suspect given the base game wasn't designed around them, not easy to 'squeeze' into HoI4 as it stands currently.

• 3Like
Reactions:
I see that PDI is taking more ideas from GGWITE, but It's nice to see that PDI is thinking about ways to make the game better. Though it would be better if PDI would look at fixing the AI particularly Axis AI balancing the game ie. naval combat and fixing the lack of combat in the Pacific Theatre.

Reactions:
I'd like to see different locomotives to hurdle on the map leaving the smoke and developing steam engines just like ships. Imagine the Isuzu truck convoy heads to the North-Chinese frontline bringing supply from the port in Dalian. Beautiful..
Or the Southern Pacific Daylights chugging along the California coast, as the streamlined New York Centrals stretch from New York City to Chicago!

Paradox, I will pay for a train model DLC.

A big +1 to this. I suspect it won't be part of the design, but I've gone on about this before. The millions and millions of tons shipped using coastal convoys, whether down the coast of Norway, along the coast of North Africa, through the English Channel (by both sides), in the Adriatic and Aegean, and elsewhere were a crucial part of the WW2 logistics effort. However, they've very poorly understood/recognised, and I suspect given the base game wasn't designed around them, not easy to 'squeeze' into HoI4 as it stands currently.
Of course you'd be down for anything naval-related. I'd be disappointed if you weren't!

• 1Love
Reactions:
this question took longer than I expected ;D we arent sure yet. we discussed having a modifier on soviets to represent it takign longer to convert to-from its gauge, but its also sorta abstracted in the conversion/repair everyone needs to do
I always thought the answer might lie in differing train track levels. Many countries like the USSR, Japan and China had differing levels of railway networks that caused logistics problems.

Also- can rails take damage from combat and bombing, and if so how long to repair? From my research it seems that while rails were often targeted, they were very quick to repair.

Reactions:
Also- can rails take damage from combat and bombing, and if so how long to repair? From my research it seems that while rails were often targeted, they were very quick to repair.
A more serious effect was damage/destruction to locomotives and rolling stock. That looks likely to be in, since "trains" form a similar pool to "convoys".

• 1Like
Reactions: