HOI4 Dev Diary - Cosmetic tags, art, gameplay and AI

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
It must be in the patch, because they're modding parameters that anyone can use. Not sure how they could be specified as DLC-only.

The DLC is: new focus trees/events, GFX, Spearhead command, and parts of the Battle Log.

(Have I forgotten anything?)

I'm pretty sure autonomy is in the DLC as well (not 100% though), as well as the music. I'm not getting anything from my head from where the VOs fall into things.

I'm pretty sure autonomy is in the DLC as well (not 100% though), as well as the music. I'm not getting anything from my head from where the VOs fall into things.

The multi-level autonomy system for subjects is going to be DLC only – I believe that if you don't have TfV, then puppets and the commonwealth nations will default to their current mechanics. *EDIT: Continuous Focuses are another TfV feature only- I misread the DLC descriptions the first time.

The VOs (the initial ones, at least) are free and not part of the DLC, from what the dev diaries have said.

Also, I'm not sure where to ask about this, but do we know if 1.3 will have any changes to the map in terms of new states, strategic resource placement, strategic regions, or new provinces?

Last edited:
Reactions:
Also, I'm not sure where to ask about this, but do we know if 1.3 will have any changes to the map in terms of new states, strategic resource placement, strategic regions, or new provinces?
New provinces is unlikely, but new states were added in 1.2 so it's very possible we'll get some more in 1.3. Given that Pakistan and a number of African countries have been added, I think some state border changes is very likely -- although I haven't checked how accurate they would be with existing borders.

Can leaders be handled via cosmetic tags?
Nothing's been mentioned about this, so I'd assume not. However, @Havebeard has now added proper triggers for leaders, so we no longer need to mess around with various flags. :)

Reactions:
The VOs (the initial ones, at least) are free and not part of the DLC, from what the dev diaries have said.
Voices & Music are in the expansion, not the free patch, so you'll have to get that :)

The continuous focuses mechanic itself is part of the patch and free, but the focuses related to paid features are not.
Together for Victory also includes:
  • Continuous Focuses: Choose a National Focus to boost your nations capabilities over time, prioritizing one aspect of your military machine over another

Reactions:
Continuous Focuses
With Together for Victory we introduce a new type of national focuses. These can only be taken if you have done at least 10 regular focuses first and rather than taking 70 days and giving you a rewards they instead give you different kinds of bonuses while they are active (this means you can turn them off if you are low on political power or need to do something else). The base system here will be part of the 1.3 Torch patch, while the focuses related to new mechanics in the expansion will only be available to people who get that.

Reactions:
Has there been any news as of late on giving modders the ability to lock the map so it doesn't cycle all the way around, as to let people mod in scenarios based around specific battles and campaigns? I believe it was mentioned in a live stream prior to release, but never implemented.

Reactions:
Hi everyone! As some people from the fan gathering already know I am happy to announce that Together For Victory will be released on the 15th of December. This means only 2 dev diaries left, and today's will be pretty big so we have time to present everything we have been up to! This diary will also start off a series of smaller mini-diaries about the AI from @SteelVolt.

Question:

How difficult would it be to integrate an option under diplomacy for the leader of a faction to inform a subordinate faction member of where they would like the AI or player to place emphasis on troops. This would be more helpful for AI involvement of course.

Example being, the faction leader could go to a subordinate faction members nation under diplomacy and select "troop emphasis" or "theatre emphasis". For specifics sake lets say Germany (player controlled) selects Italy (AI controlled). Once this "tab" is selected, theater options Italy controls open up and the German player recommends Italy place 75 percent of their forces in Europe due to Britain continually invading mainland italy or 75 percent in the Africa to assist with control of North Africa.

This would also assist with late game play where the AI has, for example, built 100 divisions for hungary and placed them all in Africa or India and the supply system is overtasked.

I realize this has been dealt with by the AI controlled faction member essentially sending their entire armed forces to the active player/faction leader but my concern is that there are times when i just wish those divisions would go away. Other times id rather not add them to my force count and would rather have the country manage them more efficiently based on the needs of our faction.

Maybe as another option, the main faction controller could set caps on what they think is an acceptable number of divisions for a subordinate faction member to make. Types as well. This wouldnt need to be followed by a player of course but in my opinion would be very helpful for a subordinate AI controlled country.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Has there been any news as of late on giving modders the ability to lock the map so it doesn't cycle all the way around, as to let people mod in scenarios based around specific battles and campaigns? I believe it was mentioned in a live stream prior to release, but never implemented.

That sounds like a good modding wishlist suggestion :).

Reactions:
Enigma/Ultra, The Lucy spy ring, the American 'Ultra' breaking of the Japanese codes. Something like these.
These are represented in an abstract way with technologies and with the radio detection stations (level 1+ "radar") giving better views of enemy in the "fog of war". I agree that it could be taken a lot farther; I hope it will be in the fulness of time, but it's not really true to say that intelligence operations are not represented now.Something like the occasional warning of an impending offensive (as in EU4) might be a nice addition, and air reconnaissance could definitely do with having a better representation (which would really need a review/improvement of the air regions and so on, first).

Reactions:
love it, but Reichskommisariat Ostland were the Baltic Countries

love it, but Reichskommisariat Ostland were the Baltic Countries
Yes, but that would require making a new country Baltic States. They can do that it just takes time and I don't think the Dev team has it at this time, maybe when they get to a DLC on the East Front. The current mechanic just renames the states based on what level of puppet they are & who's they are.

Reactions:
isnt this just that you havent made small versions of those flags also. HOI requires you to make more than one size

As some people said before me, this is clearly not a problem that basic. I can assure that it happens with Kaiserreich and other tag adding mods and I can assure you that all the flag files are set up correctly in them. If it was missing a flag the game woudl give us an error anyway, I definitely think there is a problem with the game itself but it's even better if it's not and that you can tell us how to fix it.

Reactions:
isnt this just that you havent made small versions of those flags also. HOI requires you to make more than one size

No. The ''flags change for no reason after you zoom out bug'' has nothing to do with that. See this screenshot of the Kaiserreich mod in the steam workshop.

http://images.akamai.steamuserconte...mposite-to=*,*|637:358&background-color=black

Romania has the Qing Dynasty flag. Happens when you play as well, if you look up any playthough of a mod that adds loads of tags you will encounter this.

Reactions:
No. The ''flags change for no reason after you zoom out bug'' has nothing to do with that. See this screenshot of the Kaiserreich mod in the steam workshop.

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/103976952084367801/50F59362B307C77627514C00FC8541DD4200406F/?interpolation=lanczos-none&output-format=jpeg&output-quality=95&fit=inside|637:358&composite-to=*,*|637:358&background-color=black

Romania has the Qing Dynasty flag. Happens when you play as well, if you look up any playthough of a mod that adds loads of tags you will encounter this.
There does seem to be a bug here; started a game of Kaiserreich. Note the Bosnia (BOS) unit. The small flag is fine...

upload_2016-12-13_19-22-43.png

... but zoomed out, it's not:

upload_2016-12-13_19-23-0.png

(Galicia slightly north also messes up its flag, for bonus points)

This is even though BOS has complete set of flags, full, medium and small size, in the mod folders. And they show up in game, too:

upload_2016-12-13_19-26-40.png

So this seems to be something within the game code.

Reactions:
we'll investigate

Reactions: