• Crusader Kings III Available Now!

The realm rejoices as Paradox Interactive announces the launch of Crusader Kings III, the latest entry in the publisher’s grand strategy role-playing game franchise. Advisors may now jockey for positions of influence and adversaries should save their schemes for another day, because on this day Crusader Kings III can be purchased on Steam, the Paradox Store, and other major online retailers.

Real Strategy Requires Cunning
Monarchist Path Clarification New

ManoDeZombi

Content Designer - HOI4
Oct 23, 2019
Alright, so I know that due to the structure of the tree the Fascist and Monarchist paths can look quite confusing, it was really tricky to sort them out without it looking really, really messy. Allow me to shed some light on the matter, I hope this pic helps clarifying what focuses are available if you go through the monarchist branch:

Monarchist Paths.png

As you can see Monarchist Bulgaria can approach both the Allies and the Axis, and also plot against Boris. Then you can either join the Axis, join the Allies or create your own Balkan faction via "The Fate of the Balkans".

The only limitation to Boris is that he can never complete "The Fate of the Balkans", since the focus requires that he is either dead ("Plot Against Boris") or deposed by the fascists ("Depose the Tsar", which will retire Boris and put Kyoseivanov in charge of the non-aligned party).

Also, quick tip that might be useful while checking the Bulgarian tree, note that the links between focuses ALWAYS move horizontally before going down (that's in fact why all those focuses around Bulgarian Irredentism are placed in that strange way), I know it's not the most intuitive thing ever, but I tried to use that to help ppl recognize where certain focus can lead to in messy areas like this one.

Can you as Bulgaria, like with Greece in their focus tree, join the Central Powers if it exists?
Similar to "Plot Against Boris" focus, "Join the Tripartite Pact" will change slighly under the appropriate circumstances:

Central Powers.png

Great focus tree, just three minor things:

1. Why that black? It looks... evil. If it's communist, I'd go for a red or something. But that black doesn't look good.
2. Italy would never cede Albania to Bulgaria because it had a claim on it and it was fully annexed. Maybe make it so Bulgaria can only ask for non-owned and occupied states that are not claimed by their controller?
3. Fix that tile in northern Greece, please, add it to Central Macedonia.
1. There are two main reasons for my color choice: First of all, this cosmetic tag is not exclusive for communist Bulgaria, but shared between communists and democrats. So I decided to find out what the colors on the Blakan Federation flag standed for, and when I read that the black stripe represented the death in the struggle for liberty I just couldn't resist, so there it is, I hope you all enjoy Mordor Bulgaria :)

2. Bulgaria cannot ask for control of states cored by its controller
3. Will keep that in mind for the future, however I can't make any promises

Last edited:
  • 12Like
  • 3Love
Reactions:

Dlin369

Colonel
56 Badges
Aug 17, 2017
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury Pre-order
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
Alright, so I know that due to the structure of the tree the Fascist and Monarchist paths can look quite confusing, it was really tricky to sort them out without it looking really, really messy. Allow me to shed some light on the matter, I hope this pic helps clarifying what focuses are available if you go through the monarchist branch:

View attachment 627321

As you can see Monarchist Bulgaria can approach both the Allies and the Axis, and also plot against Boris. Then you can either join the Axis, join the Allies or create your own Balkan faction via "The Fate of the Balkans".

The only limitation to Boris is that he can never complete "The Fate of the Balkans", since the focus requires that he is either dead ("Plot Against Boris") or deposed by the fascists ("Depose the Tsar", which will retire Boris and put Kyoseivanov in charge of the non-aligned party).

Similar to "Plot Against Boris" focus, "Join the Tripartite Pact" will change slighly under the appropriate circumstances:

View attachment 627322

1. There are two main reasons for my color choice: First of all, this cosmetic tag is not exclusive for communist Bulgaria, but shared between communists and democrats. So I decided to find out what the colors on the Blakan Federation flag standed for, and when I read that the black stripe represented the death in the struggle for liberty I just couldn't resist, so there it is, I hope you all enjoy Mordor Bulgaria :)

2. Bulgaria cannot ask for control of states cored by its controller
Wow you guys really thought of everything for this tree. Thank you!

• 3Like
Reactions:

Sighfer

Sergeant
68 Badges
Mar 24, 2016
  • Stellaris
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Surviving Mars
  • Victoria 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
That's a lot of potential formables and government changes for a country that was just vibing down there, historically. Will Bulgaria refuse to declare war on Soviet Union, leading to the awkward political situation where Soviet Union had to knock on the door and declare war itself, and then the government gets couped? Will AI Communist Bulgaria ask to join the Soviet Union? (it got denied six times) Also, what's the over-under on the Montreux Convention Regarding the Regime of the Straits? It affects all Black Sea nations, and makes Soviet Union Aircraft Carriers ridiculous.

TalyonUngol

Major
On Probation
32 Badges
Jul 7, 2019
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Stellaris
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
Luxenbourg would indeed be useless, but an Austrian focus would be interesting, not a big focus or another "restore the ah empire" meme focus, but a small focus that would revolve around Italy if let's say Italy get's a reworked focus tree and they deny germans the anschluss.

edit: such a focus would fit perfectly with the eventual Italian rework dlc, and some decisions and event's with fights between pro western, pro italian fascist and pro german fascist movements
I don't really see this happening all that much. Even with the historical focuses turned off, everything has to go the -right- way for this to happen. I just don't see many people playing Austria even with a tree. They should focus more on the countries people would play.

Sweden is a big one. Alot of the big content creators and better plays recognize Sweden's ability to be a major player.
Finland. This should go with the soviets.
Iran has a big potiential as well though I rather not see them get a tree for a long while.

Then they should do the touch ups to the power creeped trees.

Romania, Yugoslavia, Poland, Hungary((Remove the RNG from the Austria Hungary)), and just improve the tree on all of the ideologies. I think communism should get some love. Then give some love to the USA though im not sure what they can do to make them fun. USA is just in a position where they are going to be boring if they wanna keep them balanced. Touch up maybe the British colony trees and maybe even look at the Chinese again. The chinese power struggles is a huge one that I think is ridiculous. I mean thats just my opinion on that. I honestly was surprised Bulgaria was getting such a nice looking tree. I figured there were plenty of other minors that could use a tree more.

Heck even Brazil could get one. Brazil did play a part in WW2, so a good south America DLC would be nice. Im thinking Brazil, Venezula and Columbia. Heck if they were nice, give us Argentina on top. It would make playing on that side of the world more fun, if they could do something.

I am a memey person, as I enjoy the possibilities this game presents, plus alot of the memes give these countries fighting chances against the likes of the Soviets, Germans and the USA. Roman Empire for Italy heavily gives them that chance to do something akin to Germany, Byzatine for Greece, AH for hungary, Ottoman for Turkey, Persian and Arabia. All of these formables are really nice additions and add flavor, depth and replayability.

ANyways, work up on the power creeped trees first, then start adding more.

So hopefully they do:

Balkans DLC pack
Soviet Union and FInland Pack with a Poland update.
Power Creep DLC pack for Hungary, Romania, Yugoslavia.
Italian DLC pack. Though who would they put into this DLC with them? Just Italy with a great tree and a ton of new mechanics? ((I rather Italy gets reworked before the Soviets, but, I can deal with Italy the way it is. Soviet really needs to be reworked.))
Scandinavian DLC for Denmark, Norway and Sweden.

Then X for whatever they decide to do afterwards.

• 1Like
Reactions:

Scrubadubdub

Recruit
19 Badges
Sep 6, 2019
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Prison Architect
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Dungeonland
  • Crusader Kings II
Do any of the research bonuses pertain to mot/mech, that one called war logistics maybe? I know that may seem like kind of a weird question but the default focus tree has a great mechanized bonus and that meant that for most vanilla lobbies, and also for the savvy single player, bulgaria could end up with a pretty decent mechanized army which fills a void not having the industry to really do 13 7 tanks normally creates for any small nation. I get it's not strictly historical, but hoi4 is about alt history and bulgaria did have an armor program in ww2. Mainly, though, being the odd faction member and having the freedom to do something unique like 40w mechanized was super enjoyable and made it so you could have some real game impact with the right planning even as the tiniest axis minor. I have some great memories of capitulating france as bulgaria in a historical multiplayer lobby because germany couldn't break the french in the north and I was the only faction member willing to risk their mot units on a naval invasion, and that happened twice! Nobody expected it either time, lol. So seeing some sort of mechanized or motorized bonus or just something that could let bulgaria retain its niche would be really cool and make bulgaria stand out a bit more.

Zeprion

Major
1 Badges
Oct 31, 2016
I wanted to love this focus tree.
But come on.
This is way too bloated and, quite frankly... too powerful. This would be acceptable if it was a game specifically about Bulgaria. But, last I checked, HOI4... just isn't.

...Maybe I'm wrong, though. I guess only time will tell.
Only in the alternative historical paths. If you want to play it the historical way, you'll find that you'll have a hard time with every minor country.

Some alterantive historical paths are obviously exaggerated, like Greece for example. Taking back Constantinople seems doable, but restorying Byzantium, really? And not just the conquest, but the Turkish population will obviously protest and won't cooperate, making it impossible to core that region. It's the equivalent of having Germany form the Holy Roman Empire, having Romania form Dacia and having Bulgaria form the First Bulgarian Empire.

The only one of these ridiculosuly unrealistic alternative historical paths that is not that ridiculosuly unrealistic, although not far from it, is having Austria or Hungary form Austria-Hungary again. Given some circumstnaces, that would be believable.

But even so, we have some ridiculosuly overpowered alterantive historical paths because the players like them. The players like forming the European Union in singleplayer, even though, realistically you'll have no chance of doing it, given the political situation at that time. And you can't do it in multiplayer, because the nations you need to conquer to form that ridiculosuly overpowered states are usually other players.

So it's win-win situation. The players who want to conquer the word as minor nations can do so without mods now. And that same players won't be able to do it multiplayer because you have to beat a number of other player controled nations before World War II even starts, keeping it realistic.

• 3Like
Reactions:

Adrianuse

Corporal
35 Badges
Dec 5, 2015
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Magicka
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Tyranny - Tales from the Tiers
  • Tyranny - Bastards Wound
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Crusader Kings II
@ManoDeZombi The tree looks great!

I only have one simple question. Will Tsar Boris III die as it was in history in 1943? Or, without the proper focus, will he live until we do that focus or otherwise get rid of it?

• 1Like
Reactions:

Reinner

Captain
12 Badges
May 2, 2017
  • Stellaris
Man seeing this tree and all the potential it makes me sad now that Romania and Yugoslavia were part of the DoD expansion.

What they could do with Yugoslavia for example is when country capitulates it would erupt into civil war between Ustaše (Croatia), Chetniks (Serbs) and Partisans. Of course this would probably be hard to implement with resistance mechanics and making sure the Axis intervention in those states would be limited, maybe even use Spanish civil war debuff where all units would move and battle slowly.

Reactions:

Gordoman

Recruit
12 Badges
Sep 11, 2020
  • Magicka 2 - Signup Campaign
  • Magicka 2
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
Will there be unit models for airplanes as well?(like the tank models we have now) It would be awesone seeing b29's and stukas modeled into the game

Ivankovsky

First Lieutenant
19 Badges
May 1, 2017
  • Darkest Hour
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Field Marshal
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II
This actually looks great!
The Balkans are always an interesting place for some action, and I like how many options you have to spread your influence, especially territory guaranteed to be given to you by other countries.

Any prospects in making this "per-arranged territorial expansion" a core feature of the game for all countries I wonder?

• 2Like
Reactions:

Dlin369

Colonel
56 Badges
Aug 17, 2017
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury Pre-order
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
No sorry I think I didn't express myself properly.
When I talk about the Zveno and Fatherland Coup I mean AI coups against the player, so the player cannot lead the Zveno or the Fatherland Front sides on a civil war (not without using console commands).
When you overthrow the Tsar via the different focuses available for each ideology you can trigger a standard civil war, in which you will keep your Focus Tree. In case you, as would-be Communist Bulgaria, have already formed the Fatherland Front yourself (via focus), then you will be the Fatherland Front in the CW, but that's a different instance from the "AI version" of it.

Edit: Also, the focus "Balkan Federation of Socialist Republics" checks that you are communist and further focuses in the branch usually check that you are not fasicst, at least (since you could reach that branch even if you go democratic and then form an Independent Regency Council, for example.
If the Ai beats you in the standard civil war, will they load the focus tree for the Tsar? I know other civil war trees load up the standard tree if the unexpected side somehow wins so that the game doesn't break

Jan 4, 2020
Dear @ManoDeZombi How will Bulgaria interact with some DoD nations?

Specifically:
  • Will supporting Macedonian organizations make the Yugosalvian Macedonian Opposition spirit worse for Yugoslavia?
  • If Yugoslavia chooses the Concessions for Macedonians focus, how will it affect the IMRO in Bulgaria?
  • If Romania goes the Balkan Dominance path, would she be able to Puppet-feed Bulgaria (after puppetizing)?
  • Can a monarchist Bulgaria seek alliance with Hungary? They have the same enemies: Romania and Yugoslavia.

Please take a look at @WelshStalker 's proposed state borders.

• 11Like
Reactions:

Chary_

Private
19 Badges
Oct 25, 2018
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Victoria 2
  • Crusader Kings II
Dear @ManoDeZombi How will Bulgaria interact with some DoD nations?

Specifically:
  • Will supporting Macedonian organizations make the Yugosalvian Macedonian Opposition spirit worse for Yugoslavia?
  • If Yugoslavia chooses the Concessions for Macedonians focus, how will it affect the IMRO in Bulgaria?
  • If Romania goes the Balkan Dominance path, would she be able to Puppet-feed Bulgaria (after puppetizing)?
  • Can a monarchist Bulgaria seek alliance with Hungary? They have the same enemies: Romania and Yugoslavia.

Please take a look at @WelshStalker 's proposed state borders.
Yeah the Bulgarian's ability to play with the IMRO should really be able to worsen the debuffs for Yugo + create debuffs for Greece, but I don't know if they'd do that. Someone mentioned on a previous dev diary that the focus trees really don't interact with eachother. This would be a great dlc to prove them wrong!

Bunnytob

General
14 Badges
Sep 17, 2017
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria 2
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Semper Fi
So it's win-win situation. The players who want to conquer the word as minor nations can do so without mods now. And that same players won't be able to do it multiplayer because you have to beat a number of other player controled nations before World War II even starts, keeping it realistic.
I think most of the problems come from the AI doing it. Which becomes a problem if the "historical" AI takes a bad set of foci (e.g. Poland, France, Soviets...)

safe-keeper

● ← hole to another universe
52 Badges
Sep 6, 2012
livetkanfly.wordpress.com
  • Cities in Motion
  • Stellaris
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Semper Fi
  • Magicka
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Divine Wind
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Darkest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Field Marshal
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Steel Division: Normand 44 Sign-up
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
Wow, the focus trees are really becoming elaborate. Makes me wish even more that the devs eventually go back and redo all the earlier ones.

• 5Like
Reactions: