• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

HOI4 Dev Diary - Bag of Tricks #3

Hello everyone, and welcome back to a new dev diary for Man the Guns and the 1.6 “Ironclad” update! Unfortunately, the next part of the naval combat rework is not entirely ready to show off, yet, and so to give them some extra time I’m stepping into the breach to give you an update on some of the things (this is by no means an exhaustive list, but rather the highlights) the HoI4 Content Design team have fixed or adjusted since showing off the focus trees :)

Issues regarding ideology (and drift)

An issue that has come up in the community on multiple occasions are the issues caused by permanent ideology drift National Spirits. For instance, puppeting a fascist nation as a communist, only to have it gradually drift back to fascism because it once upon a time got a National Spirit giving it 0.10 fascism drift.

To solve this, we’ve gone with a two-pronged approach. First of all, all National Spirits that give ideology drift now either time out after 2-3 years, or, in the case of Spirits that have other effects than just ideology drift, and therefore need to be permanent, are removed when the ideology shifts away from the ideology drift they provide.

dev diary timed ideas.png

In addition, we’ve added new decisions that give you greater control over the ideology of your subjects. These allow you to expend political power to give an ideology drift, and, when ideology support becomes high enough, forcibly swap them to your ideology.

dev diary nation building.png
dev diary police action.png

Adjustments to Netherlands focus tree

I was not too pleased with the Monarchist path in the Netherlands focus tree, and so I’ve tinkered a little bit with it to make it more unique and (hopefully) more interesting. The original design suffered from, yes, being too constrained by historical plausibility. Attempting to trace the most likely path for a royal take-over we can find some indications that Queen Wilhelmina historically wanted to use her wartime popularity, combined with the weakness of the Dutch Government-in-Exile (GiE), to obtain sweeping constitutional changes that would give much greater power to the Queen, after the liberation of the Netherlands. In HoI4, however, this would entail requiring the player to play poorly, lose the fight in the continent, become a government-in-exile, then flip to Neutrality, and subsequently gain no benefits at all from the tree because you do not control your land anymore, while just sitting back and supporting the British in their war (because historically the Queen wanted to do just that, rather than doing any ‘cool independent stuff’ on her own). None of this makes for fun gameplay.

dev diary monarchist path.png

The Monarchist path is on the left-hand side, but shares certain focuses (the branch leading up to "Request Allied Favors") with the Democratic path (the right-hand side).

It is still possible to go through the path as a GiE, as multiple focuses give you bonuses regardless of whether you have control of your homeland or not. However, it is no longer a requirement to have capitulated. New focuses give offmap military factories, as well as building up Belgium and Luxemburg after you get them through Revive the Buffer State Proposal. A final focus has been added to give a sort of ‘endgame’. Wilhelminism revolves around a cunning plot to use the German Kaiser (in exile in Huis Doorn in the Netherlands since the end of the First World War) to attract German deserters, and incite an insurrection to weaken the German position. This focus periodically spawns free divisions comprised of German deserters, while also giving Germany a National Spirit draining their manpower. Once any German territory has been ‘liberated’ by the Netherlands, an actual civil war kicks off in Germany, where the Kaiser (or his son, if he died) leads a rebellion (headquartered in the territory you just liberated) to put the von Hohenzollerns back on the German throne. This civil war nation exists as a puppet of the Netherlands, and so can be supported by you. Once the war is won, the Kaiser will require you to fulfill your end of the bargain, involving releasing them as an independent nation, and then proposes to create a formal alliance. If you happen to own Waking the Tiger, this will also set this new Germany on the Kaiserreich path, likely leading to a war with the Allies (who won’t be too happy with you doing all this in the first place).

dev diary wilhelminism.png

Adjustments to the British focus tree

In the original UK focus tree reveal, I mentioned the naval tree would get a make-over as well. This has now been done.

dev diary uk naval tree.png

Various new additions have been made to the tree. Anti-Non-Contact Committee gives tech bonuses to minelaying and minesweeping, while Anti-Submarine Training School gives doctrine bonuses to Convoy Defense, as well as a National Spirit that improves Destroyer experience gain. ASW Warfare gives 2x ahead of time tech bonuses for Anti-Submarine Warfare modules, while Expanding the Repair Yards gives a couple of Dockyards and a national spirit making repairs and refits cheaper and faster. Vanguard gives a modern Battleship template, and also creates a ‘free’ battleship of this template in Clydebank (Lanark state).

dev diary vanguard.png

I also added some focuses that tie in to the Reinforce the Empire branch. As the British relied heavily on their light cruisers to keep the trade lanes secure, that is now represented in a new focus that requires both Naval Rearmament as well as Service Overseas.

dev diary light cruisers.png

Following Commonwealth Ties, then, comes the last addition: a focus representing the massive British Commonwealth Air Training Plan. This gives bonuses to air (and air wing) experience gain, reflecting the impact of one of the largest air training programs in history.

dev diary commonwealth air plan.png

Of these, all are part of the free rework except for those that rely on paid features; i.e. ASW Warfare, Expand the Repair Yards, Vanguard, and Anti-Non-Contact Committee will not be available without the DLC.

Map changes

The map changes dev diary had a lot of suggestions from the community, and I worked through a number of them (too many to list), but I will mention the most important here.

A number of new tags were added:

Mauritania
Namibia
Western Sahara (Sahrawi Arab Democratic Republic)
British Antilles
French Guyana
Maldives
Fiji/Melanesia
Slovenia
Bosnia
Macedonia
Northern Ireland

To accomodate Mauritania, the western-most impassable state has been made passable, allowing armies to move down into subsaharan Africa both in Egypt in the east, as well as in the west.

dev diary mauritania.png

Namibia has been added due to popular request, and the Caprivi strip has been fixed.

dev diary caprivi strip.png

The Balkans have been further… balkanized, and the states for Montenegro and Macedonia have been adjusted.

dev diary balkans.png

Thanks to an initiative by @Tristan Edge, a large number of victory points have been adjusted and/or added.

A lot of VP adjustments happened to:
Greece, Turkey, Portugal, Mexico, Poland, Czechoslovakia, European Russia

Other VP adjustments happened to:
Spain, France, USA, Germany, Italy, China, Siberia

dev diary western poland.png

Sneak preview of the new VPs in Western Poland

Also, when adding new tags, I put in an effort to ensure all releasable tags have at least one victory point (their capital). This has seen a dramatic increase in the amount of victory points in Africa, the Caribbean, and some in Asia.

Finally, some naval zones have been split up to make better use of the new naval terrain, as well as making for more interesting strategic choices with your navy. One example here: the Aegean.

dev diary naval zone Aegean.png

Don't forget to check out the stream today at 4PM CET, where Gabriel and Niall (Daniel is unfortunately the victim of biological warfare today) will be continuing with their communist Mexico playthrough. We'll see you guys next week, for a new dev diary! :)

Rejected titles

- Yet another focus tree about the German Kaiser
- My Conquest is the Sea of Victory Points
- HOI4: Now with 200% more balkanization
- Installing Democracies has never been so easy
- Issuing the HoI4 community challenge: Western Sahara World Conquest
- The "People Actually Live Here Now"-update

@Bratyn considering the focus on USA in this DLC, is there any plan to unlock the Marine I tech for USA in 1936 ? USA have marines division before the war, and they even do landing exercice during this time called "Fleet Landing Exercice" (FLEX 1 in 1935, FLEX 2 in 1936, FLEX 3 in 1937, FLEX 4 in 1938 and FLEX 5 in 1941). It was before 1936 that the Marine Corps truly become a landing expeditionary force as in-game thanks to the works of Earl Hancock Ellis. I suggest you to read when you've got time those articles : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_United_States_Marine_Corps#A_new_amphibious_mission and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fleet_Landing_Exercises.
It would be an historical fix (and maybe you can add the FLEX as a national focus giving bonus for Marines II tech, or for Amphibious tech).

You'd have to ask @Archangel85

In the map adjustments has the India-Pakistan border been sorted out? Kashmir needs to be two states if you want to show the de-facto post-independence situation, and more importantly the Radcliffe Line is in completely the wrong place* and puts much of Indian Panjab into Pakistan.

* Of course the real Radcliffe Line was in the wrong place anyway but that's a moot point.

Adjustments to Netherlands focus tree

Adjustments to the British focus tree

Any chance we'll see an 'Adjustments to the US focus tree' feature in any upcoming DDs? There are a variety of concerns we expressed back when the new tree for the US was showcased.

It may have been mentioned already, but shouldn't "ASW Warfare" be called "A/S Warfare" instead? Otherwise it'd be Anti-Submarine Warfare Warfare when un-abbreviated

The region of "Macedonia" was known as "Vardarska Banovina" at the time before and during WW2, only changing after the communists under Tito decided to create the "Macedonian" nation to cut off the influence of the Bulgarian state to the ethnic Bulgarians in "Macedonia", turn those Bulgarians to "Macedonians" as well as gain irredentist claims on north Greece - Macedonia, its rich natural resources and access to the Aegean sea trade routes.

Here's proof:
VAR.jpg
vardarska1.png

First image represents the province names in 1929 and the second in 1939. In both cases the province was known as "Vardarska Banovina" Banovina meaning region in Serbian.

Last edited:
I know, but the game shows it as if was directly controlled by Poland, so in that case it should be called "Gdańsk" unless they'll represent Free City of Danzig in some way or another. Until then it should be "Gdańsk".

I think tbh that they don't think it's worth it simulating the city as a free city with all the complicated politics. My interpretation is that it is the free city abstracted. For a post war victorious or liberated Poland it should be named Gdańsk, but I don't know if game mechanics permits that?

Also regarding Kashmir iirc it's illegal in India to show Kashmir as anything other than entirely part of India, unless you include a disclaimer stating that it's not an official map. Windows 95 nearly got banned in India over this. Other countries probably have similar laws regarding borders or nomenclature (the recent Scottish law banning putting the Shetland islands in a separate box being one of the newest). How does Paradox deal with issues like this?

Can Crete now be invaded from Greece by only sailing through the Aegean?

@Bratyn Do we really need modern-day borders in the Balkans, even though that means you can't get the actual WW2 borders anymore? Come on, I thought the mistake with WW1 borders had been enough to drive through the idea that maybe a WW2 game should care about WW2 borders first.

stacks_image_771_1.png

Last edited:
@Bratyn are there any production boosts available for Naval production in the British tree? They had a remarkable capability to be efficient in production when it came to Battleships, especially given political will. During the Battleship race they were turning out a significantly higher number of battleships than the Germans every two years. Between 1901 and 1913 they produced 30+ Heavy Ships. Between 1911 and 1914 they they produced the Queen Elizabeths. Surely they should have a means of doing a proper battleship race, yes they didn't want to, but they were also the most capable of doing so.

@Bratyn are there any production boosts available for Naval production in the British tree? They had a remarkable capability to be efficient in production when it came to Battleships, especially given political will. During the Battleship race they were turning out a significantly higher number of battleships than the Germans every two years. Between 1901 and 1913 they produced 30+ Heavy Ships. Between 1911 and 1914 they they produced the Queen Elizabeths. Surely they should have a means of doing a proper battleship race, yes they didn't want to, but they were also the most capable of doing so.
"Rebuild the Grand Fleet"

:D

"Rebuild the Grand Fleet"

:D
That was my thoughts exactly. Dreadnought took only 14 months to build... And it was the first ever battleship. I would imagine by the 1930s had they really wanted to, they could have done one in 12 months or less if they were prepared to pay for it.

The Balkans have been further… balkanized, and the states for Montenegro and Macedonia have been adjusted.

While I'm happy to see my favorite country of Macedonia playable, the new states create a small problem. By removing those two top provinces (you know the once) from Macedonia, that makes WW2 Bulgarian borders impossible. Would it be possible to make them into separate state? Pretty please?

In practical terms, those two provinces represent the 'Western Outlands', lands with a Bulgarian majority that were ceded to Yugoslavia after WW1 (BUL core would also fit perfectly); the state can be named 'Pirot', 'Bosilegrad' or 'Tsaribrod' to represent the three major cities in that area.

It can tie in to the Communist Yugoslavia focus tree. In 1947 the Yugoslav and Bulgarian governments briefly discussed the possibility of returning said territory to Bulgaria; and since YUG has a focus about inviting BUL into its faction, ceding that small land could be used to increase the opinion (and thus possibility) of forming a faction.

More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_Outlands