HOI4 Dev Diary - Bag of Tricks #1

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Will the AI decommission divisions? It'd be great for when you annex an AI and you don't have to see 80 Million templates.
Agreed. Hopefully these changes will clear the way to this being possible, thus reducing AI division spam by getting rid of AI countries having 7-8 slightly different infantry templates, for example.

Another Wednesday means time for another update! Today its time for a "bag of tricks" diary which means its an assortment of smaller features and improvements. Todays selection has several things you guys have asked for for a long time so I hope you will like it :)

Decommissioned templates
Its now possible to mark templates as old. Much like with equipment they will no longer show in the list.
View attachment 729440

Divisions can still use them but get a little warning, and you cant switch to one until it is recommissioned.

View attachment 729442

It is also possible to reorganize the list of templates using drag and drop, so you can make sure you keep your horsie boys on top where they belong.

View attachment 729444

Army List Controls
We have also added various controls to the army list. Its now possible to sort and much easier to select
View attachment 729457

Colorized infra bonuses
Infrastructure help you build more effectively. To make it easier to parse where the best states are we went ahead and colorized the bonus indicator
View attachment 729460

Lend Lease QoL
To make it possible to more easily send ALL of your stockpile of something we have now added a button to the lend lease interface to set it to the content of your stockpile. A lot nicer than typing out a number you have to look up :)
View attachment 729519

War join spam
This one has been on my top 5 annoying things since back in 2014 :D When your war causes a lot of nations to get pulled in you get a ton of separate messages. This can be super annoying because just as you fire off your attack you need to deal with popups. No longer. Check out the comparison when declaring on Poland as Germany. in New vs Old:
View attachment 729465

That's it for today, see you all next week!
This is beautiful

• 3Like
Reactions:
Cheers for the DD Podcat - all smiles here :) (Although, as per the last DD, I will try and reduce the number of emoticons used to express that!) Lots of great stuff - every single one of those things will make a material improvement to the way I play the game, so many thanks to you and everyone else on the team :)

We have also added various controls to the army list. Its now possible to sort and much easier to select

Wonderful!

War join spam

There are very few situations where I would suggest we needed to remove messages from the game (I won't go on about it - you've heard the reasons before) - but this is just one of those situations - love your work :)

For a naval-themed, DD-appropriate pic, here's a Vought Kingfisher provided under lend-lease to the RN - it'll be great to be able to just "give all" of the older stuff now :)

View attachment 730307

1623324467242.png

• 6Like
Reactions:
These bag of tricks always hit the spot for me. Infrastructure ones great in anticipation for a new supply system.

I just wonder if that decommissioned message is clear enough. Do you need to hover for this?

I was thinking something a little more clearer... forgive me if this has been mentioned.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Once again asking for polish state rework.
Can you please make it so we can get accurate german border after partition of poland?
Suggestion: (Red line = new border)
states.png
800px-Occupation_of_Poland_1939.png

• 2Like
Reactions:
Great improvements!

What about having a value for the sum of army supply needs in the army window. (Or several for standing, moving and fighting approximations.)
For example next to the fuel requirements, or even in the same mouseover window?

It would be way easier to estimate future supply situations. This would be another small but useful QoL improvement.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Another Wednesday means time for another update! Today its time for a "bag of tricks" diary which means its an assortment of smaller features and improvements. Todays selection has several things you guys have asked for for a long time so I hope you will like it :)

Decommissioned templates
Its now possible to mark templates as old. Much like with equipment they will no longer show in the list.
View attachment 729440

Divisions can still use them but get a little warning, and you cant switch to one until it is recommissioned.

View attachment 729442

It is also possible to reorganize the list of templates using drag and drop, so you can make sure you keep your horsie boys on top where they belong.

View attachment 729444

Army List Controls
View attachment 729457

Colorized infra bonuses
Infrastructure help you build more effectively. To make it easier to parse where the best states are we went ahead and colorized the bonus indicator
View attachment 729460

Lend Lease QoL
To make it possible to more easily send ALL of your stockpile of something we have now added a button to the lend lease interface to set it to the content of your stockpile. A lot nicer than typing out a number you have to look up :)
View attachment 729519

War join spam
This one has been on my top 5 annoying things since back in 2014 :D When your war causes a lot of nations to get pulled in you get a ton of separate messages. This can be super annoying because just as you fire off your attack you need to deal with popups. No longer. Check out the comparison when declaring on Poland as Germany. in New vs Old:
View attachment 729465

maybay add all the country's flag of country who got called under the text

• 1Like
Reactions:

Decommissioned templates
View attachment 729440

View attachment 729442

View attachment 729444

Army List Controls
View attachment 729457

Colorized infra bonuses
View attachment 729460

Lend Lease QoL
View attachment 729519

War join spam
View attachment 729465

Good
But what about territorial management ?
For example
As Germany I annex France and then I decide to puppet France.Why should I give them back Alsace-Lorraine or all of their core territory?
Or
As Germany I annex Poland and then I decide to puppet Poland.Why should I give them back Danzig and Posen or of all their core territory?
This is not all of territorial management problem
And one important thing
In this dlc the main goal is the eastern front and USSR and for that you changed the supply system
Can we see Anglo-Soviet invasion of Iran and then the Persian Corridor supply route ?

Reactions:
Words cannot express my rage at not being able to have all my infantry and tank divisions grouped together in the correct order (obviously, least expensive to most). These changes will improve the quality of my life considerably. Now all I need is a bigger kitchen and my life is complete.

• 2Like
  • 2Haha
Reactions:
These quality-of-life improvements are nice.
Another good one would be the option to hide aces from the ace screen after they are Killed In Action.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Am i the only one who doesn't really understand the whole decomissiong templates thing? maybe i have interpreted it wrong but if you arent going to use a template in the future wouldn't you just delete it instead?
Currently, if have a unit built from a template, it stays in your template window.
If you do disband or change templates with all of one type and then delete it, it is gone and cannot be re-used if a need arises without paying xp to make another template.

The large armies with many inherited templates from puppets/conquests are a real pain sometimes, so this is great, you can hide a template from your list but still be able to bring it back if needed.

Reactions:
I just grab the first 100 (400, 800) planes I find of the correct category and toss them into the new squadron(s). The in-game magical logistics gnomes can sort that nonsense out.
That is the real way the leader should do it, give the order and let the minions do the grunt work.

Reactions:
colorized infrastructure bonuses, THANK YOU!!!! That's such a small yet critical thing. I was playing as the soviet union a while ago and tried to build in the fastest places, but there's SO MANY STATES! Also some focuses increase infrastructure in random states, and if I didn't pay attention to which states they were before it executed I had to scour the map. Anyway, thank you. This expansion is looking extremely exciting.

• 1Like
Reactions: