HOI4 Dev Diary - Bag of Tricks #1

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Oh, and the lend lease one is my favorite. Why? Because I often try to lend lease out ALL of my old or captured equipment and it's a pain to get the numbers lol.
It actually wasn't (isn't currently, at least to me). In the lend-lease window after you select what you are going to send (i.e., all that captured equipment), if you mouse-over the picture for the item it will show you what you have in your stockpile in the tooltip.

What exactly is the reasoning for decommissioning templates? Just to clean up the UI? Will there be any effect on units of these templates out in the field? Will we be able to tell the game to turn all still extant units of these templates into a new one?
Currently, you can't delete a template if it is (currently) being used (especially annoying for those assigned to Garrison in countries that don't need garrisons yet). My impression is that the Decommision button just hides it (just like for Ship/Tank/Aircraft) to reduce clutter.

Hey. Paradox. You should add an option to only view states with however much infrastructure in the construction map mode so you can find places to build even easier. This update looks awesome though :p

Reactions:
I prefer to space out the diaries instead. What you are suggesting is less diaries. It also gives us time to be able to react on feedback

Feedback.. if it's QoL that is the topic then I'd like the ability to see what stuff really is when scrapping them (since I can't tell from the name if it is artillery I or II or infantry 0 1 or 2 etc.. I do want to scrap old junk that makes me believe I have a lot in stock when it's really just trash - and especially scrap all the junk planes until air unit formation gets some QoL upgrades)

War join spam
This one has been on my top 5 annoying things since back in 2014 :D When your war causes a lot of nations to get pulled in you get a ton of separate messages. This can be super annoying because just as you fire off your attack you need to deal with popups. No longer. Check out the comparison when declaring on Poland as Germany. in New vs Old:

That's the way aha, I like it!

• 1Haha
Reactions:
This is incredible, this is the stuff that normally takes like a third of my game play time. Basically everything I've ever wanted. But can we get a victory point map mode, or something to the same effect? I wanna draw the ideal battle plans but can't bother to zoom in on places like China and Russia, since mapping out the victory points by memory on the larger map is too bothersome.

Reactions:
War join spam
This is one of the best QoL features this far! Can you please also make it so only one country can call you to arms at a time?

Joining the Allies but not wanting to get involved causes at least 15 warnings to constantly be up on the screen, because all members keep asking you to join the war.

Reactions:
I really like if its true that I can see a quick breakdown of the armor / infantry / motorized / other template breakdown on selected army.

Gets really confusing late in game when you have like 5 different armor templates, 3 different motorized, several infantry templates, usually all mixed up in the same command.

Reactions:
I think the licensing mechanics should be strengthened and reviewed so that be more attractive to small and medium-sized nations could more easily and regularly obtain licenses of old models of the great powers than to manufacture their own models.

I want to attach on to this, but could you guys make it so if we own the Axis Armor pack that if we, for example, license the German Tiger Tank we can use the 3d model? It would help with the immersion. :)

• 2Like
Reactions:
Colorized infra bonuses
Infrastructure help you build more effectively. To make it easier to parse where the best states are we went ahead and colorized the bonus indicator
1623281569050.png

@podcat : RE the above, would it be possible to scale the brightness of the colours from dark (20%) to bright (80%)?

At a glance, 20% and 80% are similar in brightness whilst 60% stands out clearly. I'm not colorblind so unsure if this could help them too but maybe it could? Think of it as scaling from dark colour to lighter colour, so the brighter and more pronounced it is, the better the infrastructure level is.

Just an idea if you're looking into UI refinements.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Hell yes, no more war join spam.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Add content and some people will be happy, some disinterested, and some will dislike it. Add QOL improvements and almost everyone will be happy.

I know people are always going to want more, but these are the type of game improvements that I look forward to. What is not to like?

Reactions:
Bag of Tricks is always my favourite DD. Little quality of life things do wonders.

I've had an idea- spend command power to speed up the manpower reinforcement of an army. Basically calling in favours to clear the rail lines, get priority shipping, and so on. Maybe make experience loss worse due to less time for training, if balance is needed.

Reactions: