• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HoI4 Dev Diary - A Post-Colonial World: Map Changes and New Tags

Hello everyone, and welcome to yet another dev diary for the 1.6 “Ironclad” update and the Man the Guns DLC! As this diary goes live I'll be on vacation in Norway (where among other things I visited the Gneisenau's "Caesar" turret located at Austrått Fort in Ørland, close to Trondheim, Norway), so my replies in the thread below may be a bit slower than usual :). As a little bonus, some pictures and info on the gun emplacement are in the spoiler below.

20180709_142529.jpg

The Gneisenau 283mm (11-inch) cannons in their turret. After being bombed in Kiel harbor (where she had just finished repairs for previous damage), the ship was so heavily damaged (including the destruction of the forward "A" turret), and Hitler was so disillusioned in the performance of his surface fleet, that it was decided to have the ship scrapped altogether. The turrets were to be used as coastal gun emplacements, and the "Caesar" or "C" turret was moved here to defend the harbor of Trondheim. Extra armor was added, especially to the top (an extra 200 metric tons of steel). Total weight of the turret was 1,000 metric tons (compared to the 800 metric tons it would've weighed when placed on Gneisenau). Located on an elevation of about 50-60 meters, the range was 42,6km, reaching all the way out to the Atlantic, and also to the Trondheim harbor. Considering it was placed on solid ground, accuracy was also markedly improved over ship-based artillery.

20180709_151941.jpg

Some of the Gneisenau's engines were also relocated here, in the complex inside the mountain. These provided all the power to the turret and the facility. It could rotate 360 degrees (but no further, or the electrical cables would snap - on a ship, due to the superstructure, this was never a problem anyway) in 50 seconds. Alternatively, if power failed, the entire five-story turret (every level rotated as one along with the visible part of the turret) could be hand-cranked and rotated by 4 soldiers. The engines (one shown here) are the original ones, and still operate to this day.

20180709_155959.jpg

The guns could fire 9 rounds each minute (so a full salvo of 3 each 20 seconds). The 315kg (for high explosive) and 330kg (for armor piercing) shells were launched at 890-900m/s (by means of a 76kg cartridge and additional 41kg powder bag), with a gun elevation of -8 to +40 degrees. They only fired a handful of test rounds in the 1940s and early 1950s, after which population density became high enough that they could no longer test-fire the guns because doing so blew out all windows in a 3km radius. It never once fired its guns in anger at an enemy. This was the "C" turret, located at the rear of the Gneisenau. The "B" or "Bruno" turret was used as a similar emplacement near Bergen, Norway, while the barrels of the destroyed "A" or "Anton" turret received new housings and were used in fortifications in Rozenburg, near Hoek van Holland in the Netherlands, to defend Rotterdam port.

20180709_142558.jpg

The range finder. It was originally located at the command post at Lerberen, 2-2,5km away from the emplacement. The turret therefore had 2 periscope binoculars so they could double-check whether they were actually firing at enemy or friendly ships (in case the rangefinder had been overrun by enemy forces and they were feeding 'bad' info to the fort).

20180709_142949.jpg

South-facing picture of the fjord the gun emplacement overlooks (the fjords leading to the Atlantic are to the right, Trondheim harbor is far off in the distance to the left). The facility was manned by 125 soldiers, including the original turret commander and some other personnel from the Gneisenau. In addition, it sported an anti-tank wall, bunker, and 20 smaller-caliber cannon emplacements around the periphery for duty as anti-tank guns or for firing flares (one stationary Skoda 4,7cm anti-tank cannon still remains, now). After the war's end, the whole fort was taken over by the Norwegians, until the late '60s when the threat of the USSR became less, and they decided to get rid of it. It was turned into a museum in the early '90s.

P1020565.JPG

Glorious Real-Life ErrorDog approvingly observing shell fire raining down upon his enemies.

Last week we had a look at the new, reworked focus tree for the United Kingdom, including a whole new path for decolonization. Naturally, this elicited a flurry of questions that (because of this week’s dev diary) I could not answer at the time...

I notice one focus talks about a Three-Nation solution in India, does this mean we'll be seeing a tag for Burma or Sri Lanka? Will there be other new tags involved in the decolonisation tree beyond those which are already present?

Also, will Burma finally have its own tag? It was historically separated from the British Raj one year after the game begin.

@Bratyn the focus the three nation solution does mean a tag for bangledesh/east Pakistan, Burma or something else altogether?

Since there is a decolonisation path does that mean that there are more releasable nations in the colonies, like for example Malta or Ghana? Also, is the third nation in the Raj going to be Burma?

Are y'all going to make the African releasables...well...more like real African releasables?

Does the three state solution release Pakistan, India and Burma? Or India, Pakistan Bangladesh. Or India, Pakistan and a Sikh state?

-WHY ISN'T KAZAKHSTAN RELEASABLE YET???

I can now answer all these questions with a single resounding “YES!” (and in the case of the last one; a “sorry it took a while but it’s now finally in” ;) ).

As the design for the UK focus tree rework began to take shape, it was clear we needed decolonization of some sort, and all the tags and map changes that come with it. Now, we could have simply done the British Empire with the current in-game borders and be done with it, but I wanted to do things thoroughly and so chipped in a sizeable amount of my “personal development time” to create new provinces, new states, adjust existing ones, add new tags, and to not only do so for the British Empire, but also for the French, Portuguese, Dutch, Belgian, Spanish, and Italian colonial empires, and even for the Soviet Union.

Due to the sheer number of modern-day countries (and especially microstates) this process is by no means complete, and I may well continue to use some of my personal time to develop things further. However, as most of this is, in the end, done in my own time, I will not be making any promises…

Before we delve into the meat of things, I do want to give ample credit where credit is due. This would not have been possible without the help of our Community for making the flags that I needed for these tags (as I could not bother artists with it). A big thank-you to everyone who chipped in! I would like to single out one of our Betas in particular (you know who you are!), as he alone did close to 95% of all 236 new flags. Another shout-out to the Modern Day 4 mod team for allowing me to use their namelists and saving me a heckuva lot of research time!

Now, let’s begin.

Asia (Central, India, and Papua New Guinea)

As some may have noticed, flags and even tag files for Kazakhstan have been present in the game folders for a while now. The reason this tag never made it in before was because of certain border changes that were required, but we never had time for before. These have now been made.

Extensive work has been done to properly represent the tangled mess that are the borders of Tajikistan, Uzbekistan, and Kyrgyzstan, and also the northern border the latter two of these countries have with Kazakhstan. Further minor changes were made to the “Orenburg”-”Magnitogorsk” borders with Kazakhstan in the northeast. This now allows us to have…

dev diary central asia borders before.PNG

Central Asia before.

dev diary central asia borders after.PNG

Central Asia after. Second picture with released nations to make the borders more visible.

Next up, we’ve had Pakistan for a while, but no possibility for further splitting up the Indian subcontinent. After ample adjustments to the “East Bengal” state, it’s now possible to release Bangladesh as well.

dev diary bangladesh borders before.PNG

East Bengal before.

dev diary bangladesh borders after.PNG

East Bengal after.

Total list of new tags:
  • Kazakhstan
  • Uzbekistan
  • Tajikistan
  • Kyrgyzstan
  • Turkmenistan
  • Bangladesh
  • Sri Lanka
  • Burma
  • Papua New Guinea
dev diary central asia released tags.png

All Central Asian tags released.

dev diary released tags india.png

All new tags in India.

Middle East

Though some attention has been given to this region before (with Syria, Lebanon, Israel/Palestine, and Jordan being releasable), there was more work left to be done. Here, map changes were limited to splitting up the “Abu Dhabi” state by adding the “Qatar” state.

Total list of new tags:
  • Kuwait
  • Qatar
  • United Arab Emirates
  • Cyprus

dev diary middle east borders.PNG

All old and new Middle Eastern tags released.

Americas (Caribbean)

This region did not see any map changes. However, I added a total of 9 tags to the region:
  • Belize
  • Jamaica
  • Bahamas
  • Puerto Rico
  • Guadeloupe
  • Trinidad & Tobago (for convenience also including the British windward & leeward islands)
  • Guyana
  • Suriname
  • Curacao

dev diary released tags americas.png

All new American tags released.

Africa

Oh boy… Where to start. Clockwise? Let’s do this!

First, to make Sudanese-Egyptian borders possible, I split the “Western Desert” state in two, with the Sudanese part called “North Darfur”.

Next, the “Rhodesia” state in southern Africa was huge, encompassing three countries. It was split up into three parts, making it possible to separate Malawi and Zambia from Zimbabwe. In addition, cores were redistributed so that Kenya no longer controls all of Uganda and Tanganyika (which are now represented by their own tags).

In addition, Belgian Congo was not without its flaws either, and so new one-province states were split off from “Stanleyville” state to make Rwanda and Burundi possible.

dev diary southeast africa borders before.PNG

South-east Africa before.

dev diary southeast africa borders after.PNG

South-east Africa after. Both pictures with released tags so the changes are actually visible.

If “Rhodesia” was bad, basically all of French Africa was enough to give me a headache… In possibly the most sweeping map changes, the borders of the “Gabon”, “Equatorial Africa”, and even the impassible “Southern Sahara” states were heavily redrawn, provinces were moved between the states, and the states themselves were heavily balkanized. This resulted in the addition of 4 all-new states: “Middle Congo”, “Cameroon”, “Chad”, and the “B.E.T.” (Borkou-Ennedi-Tibesti region). In addition, “Cameroon” state’s border was adjusted slightly at the expense of “Nigeria”.

dev diary central africa borders before.PNG

Central Africa before.

dev diary central africa borders after.PNG

Central Africa after.

The next set deals with the extremely low-effort “French West Africa” state. 6 (!) new states were introduced: “Guinea”, “Ivory Coast”, “Upper Volta”, “Niger”, “Togo”, and “Dahomey”. The state itself was renamed to “Mali”, and lost an additional province to the impassible “Mauretania” state. The border with “Mauretania” was then ‘flattened’, and “Tombouctou” state was split off from the “Mauretania” state (and their borders redrawn) to enable proper Malian borders.

dev diary west africa borders before.PNG

West Africa before.

dev diary west africa borders after.PNG

West Africa after.

Finally, the remaining minor changes include splitting the single “Gambia” state’s province into two, as well as splitting off the Sidi Ifni enclave from “Rio de Oro”, turning it into its own state.

In addition, (1 point) victory points have been added throughout the continent so that every releasable African nation now has at least one VP. (EDIT: Since the writing of this Dev Diary I have added 1-point VPs to all other releasable tags as well, so that each tag has at least one VP.)

Mauretania, as it is fully impassible in the game, unfortunately did not make it in as a tag.

Total list of new tags:
  • Morocco
  • Algeria
  • Tunisia
  • Sudan
  • Eritrea
  • Djibouti
  • Somalia
  • Uganda
  • Rwanda
  • Burundi
  • Tanzania
  • Malawi
  • Zambia
  • Republic of Congo
  • Gabon
  • Equatorial Guinea
  • Cameroon
  • Central African Republic
  • Chad
  • Nigeria
  • Niger
  • Dahomey
  • Togo
  • Upper Volta
  • Ghana
  • Côte d'Ivoire
  • Mali
  • Sierra Leone
  • Guinea
  • Guinea-Bissau
  • Senegal
  • The Gambia

dev diary all african tags released.png

"Family Portrait" of all African tags.

Europe

“Bessarabia”’s borders were the victim here, as to make modern-day borders possible it had to be split up into two. A new state “Southern Bessarabia” was added, with cores of both the Ukraine and Moldova.

dev diary bessarabia borders before.PNG

Bessarabia before.

dev diary bessarabia borders after.PNG

Bessarabia after.

Next, Poland. Yes, again. Some of you may remember that I adjusted the states and provinces in Eastern Germany to allow for the Oder-Neisse line for the 1.5.2 update. I now decided to do the same for Poland’s northern and western borders. A new state, “Königsberg” was split off from “Ostpreussen”, along a roughly east-west border. Virtually all Polish states in the East had provinces redrawn and moved between states, now enabling true modern-day borders for Poland in all directions.

Furthermore, I split up “Wilno” state, renaming it to “East Wilno” and adding a new state “West Wilno”, the division between which follows modern-day Lithuanian borders. In addition, there’s a little secret for those players who lead Lithuania to victory against whoever controls “West Wilno”, and wrest control of the state from them…

dev diary polish lithuanian borders before.PNG

Poland before.

dev diary polish lithuanian borders after.PNG

Poland after.

And finally, after the dev diary showcasing the Oder-neisse line border changes there were some requests from the community to adjust the “Vojvodina” state borders so that there wouldn’t be an ugly ‘jab’ of the “Serbia” state protruding into Austria-Hungary’s borders. At the time, I quickly hacked this in by making the “Vojvodina” state gobble up the provinces in question from the “Serbia” state, but this then upset people because it made historical occupation zones impossible to recreate. I now put in some time to fix that, as well. A new state was split off from “Vojvodina” called “West Banat”, representing the territory that previously was a part of the “Serbia” state. In addition, province 11580 was moved from “Vojvodina” to “Croatia”. This now makes it possible to have both historical occupation zones and ‘clean’ Austria-Hungarian borders. :)

dev diary vojvodina borders before.PNG

Vojvodina before.

dev diary vojvodina borders after.PNG

Vojvodina after.

Total list of new tags:
  • Malta
  • Moldova
  • Scotland
  • Wales
dev diary europe released tags.png

Showcasing new releasable tags and new Polish borders.

The final tally of all additions world-wide is thus (so far):
  • 8 new provinces
  • 22 new states
  • 59 new releasable tags
  • A lot of province and state border changes
dev diary all tags released.png

Drool-worthy picture of a balkanized world (ironically not the balkans (yet) :( ).

All this will be included in the free 1.6 “Ironclad" update. In addition, because of the sheer number of new tags added, we are looking at possible ways to prevent people who go down the Empire path to manually release tags and get the ‘best of both worlds’, with an unstoppable zerg rush of small nations who use their generic trees to build up industry. To this end, decolonizing via the British decolonization tree currently only keeps 20% of all decolonized nations - the other 80% will leave the faction when they become independent. Naturally, this number is subject to change - we want decolonization to be attractive, but not the automatic go-to way to play the game as UK. In addition, I saw multiple people wondering if we'll be representing semi-autonomous regions as puppets rather than integrated colony territories. This is something that hasn't been decided yet.

That’s it for now! There’s always more map changes to be made, but I’m quite happy with where we’ve come so far. This also marks the last dev diary of July, as the rest of the team is following (or, like myself, has already followed) Dan’s lead and heading off on vacations (a true leader leads from the front, after all! ;) ). This results in a two-week Dev Diary hiatus. You can expect the regular Dev Diary schedule to resume on the first of August, when we’ll talk about a little something we’ve stolen from a certain other PDS game, and which we think will have incredible potential for HoI4... Have a great summer vacation, everyone! :)

Rejected Titles:

Putting that Sausage Factory in Tanzania Tanganyika on the map

dev diary small sausage factory.PNG

Colonialism... Not even once...

Implementation of these map changes was accompanied by regular exasperated cursing in despair

We now have the ability to put country_name_here on the map

We now have the ability to wipe country_name_here off the map

Rated R for bordergore

The Bratyn giveth and the Bratyn taketh away

Trinidad and Tobago World Conquest when?

"Screw this war, I'm off to do my own thing in the Bahamas!" is now an actual thing you can do

I don't envy whoever has to update the "Anti-Colonialist Crusade"... Oh wait, that's probably me :(

"Hello, and welcome to the 59th episode of 'Beta Presents: Fun with Flags'!"

A beautiful tapestry of Ruina Imperii

If I stop responding it's because the team finally got sick of me breaking their savegames

New resource to replace oil: potassium

• 1Like
Reactions:
Hi @Bratyn been talking to Podcat about the new releasable tags and he said to ping you here about them. I've done portraits for quite a few of these african nations for personal modding projects already and setting accurate leaders for them in the history files. He said to get in touch if you'd be interested in portraits for these new releasables?

For the historic leaders that might be useful, but I am not sure about the portraits. Would have to check with the artists to see if they fit the art style close enough.

For the historic leaders that might be useful, but I am not sure about the portraits. Would have to check with the artists to see if they fit the art style close enough.
Happy to just help with Historic Leaders as African leaders who'd fit at this time is a speciality subject

I love it! :)

Similar to a fully released UK becoming England, might it be possible for a fully released Soviet Union to become the RSFSR? Also, a democratic Russia to become the Russian Republic rather than the Russian Federation? As using the modern variant doesn't fit the time period as well as a restoration of the Provisional Government's Russian Republic.

One more pesky question, if I may! Is Northern Ireland being considered as a potential releasable, or?

Thank you and keep up the wonderful work!

Hey, dunno if somebody already brought this up or not - but could it be also possible to adjust the borders of Georgia, Armenia and Azerbajian - as well as to add a seperate Przemysl state, to be able to make the historical partition of Poland, made by USSR and 3rd Reich?

Other than that, I'd like to ask for South Jutland state, to be able to recreate the German Empire border with Denmark - please consider doing those, if that's not too much

Besides that, excellent work, I am really impressed and happy to see all of those changes!

Edit: Also forgot - the Ukrainian-Belarussian border needs to be also fixed

Sorry I meant nobody outside the devs. How can I check the to-do-list you mention?

Here:

Hello everyone! Today we release the 1.5.2 Patch but I also want to talk a bit about the future and give you an updated roadmap. Enjoy!

View attachment 357039
Cornflakes 1.5.2 Patch
1.5.2 is now out of open beta and should be updating on steam next time you start up. Here is the changelog in all its glory:
################################################################
######## Patch 1.5.2 "Cornflakes" ########
################################################################

##################################
# Feature
- Now it's possible to view the 3d models in the division designer and in the tech view. Also in the division designer, it's possible to choose a preferred 3d model to be used by that template.
- Free Battleships DLC that never really worked, has been moved into the base game.
- Holding shift now creates army group fronts without creating sub army fronts

# AI
- Garrison order improvements
- Fixed AI not using its military factories to their fullest when it is not in need of equipment. Now it will produce stuff as long as it has enough resources
- an AI chinese warlord that is at war with Japan will now be very eager to join the united front.
- Added AI strategies to the Baltics and Finland to make them more eager to join Germany's faction if Germany has chosen "Safeguard the Baltics" and/or "Support the Finns".
- Made german AI focus more on non-civilian construction between 1937-40
- Some improvements for naval leader assignment to reduce reshuffling.

# UI
- Listed save games now has proper "hover mouse over" effect
- Fixed army insignia positioning.
- New portrait of Von Lettow-Vorbeck for GER.
- The colored background on army groups along the bottom of the screen now intercept mouse clicks, not letting them click through to the map and select stuff.
- Popup windows for declaration of war, peace, and a few others will now auto-close after timeout when running a hands-off or any other case with human AI turned on.
- Added a confirmation pop up while assigning every unit in army to a different army's front orders
- Added drag & drop to reorder theater groups & pinned regions
- Added drag & drop to reorder armies & army groups
- Soviet scorched earth tactics decision now has a tooltip showing the effect
- moved check for low popular support in PRC tree to a scripted trigger to make bypass tooltips more appealing
- Scorched Earth decisions are now hidden if they would have no effect
- When choosing divisions to use as volunteers, the interface should now keep selection when game is running. Would previously deselect all, as the interface was refreshed.
- Tooltip for creating ocuntry leaders with traits look similar to how traits are displayed in the country view.
- Added timer icon showing that low efficiency can be due to air wings recently arriving in a region.
- Added an explanatory tooltip to Manchukuo seize arms decisions.
- "Field marshal traits now go red if assigned to command an army. Added tooltip that explains it when the trait is hovered.
- Added an advisor tooltip to "The Unthinkable" option.
- Fixed some trait squeezing problems in combat log screen when there are too many traits.
- Added order highlighting when mouse hovers over army shields in theater or plan execute/stop buttons

# Modding
- Removed duplicate static_modifiers script. the ones in modifiers folder is what we use now
- transfer_navy and transfer_ship effects can now use scope targets for their target (e.g target = FROM)
- Mods marked as dependencies are now loaded in the correct order
- Added on daily action (use cautiously!)
- Added validation of equipment bonus when ideas are loaded.
- Added cancel_if_not_visible parameter to decisions. Cancels a decision if it's visible trigger is false.
- Generating the exact same type of wargoal against the same country now ignores the effect.
- Enabled equipment bonus validation for modders
- Added define to tweak color of invalid trait "TRAIT_INVALID_FOR_ASSIGNMENT_COLOR".
- Added modifiers static_anti_air_damage_factor and static_anti_air_hit_chance_factor.
- Now it is possible to create your own interfaces with mods. Windows, buttons, textfields, and it's actions can now be scripted.
- Value triggers are now accessible as dynamic variables.

# Database
- Updated game credits.
- "Danzig or War" now gives core in Danzig.
- "Reassert Eastern Claims" now gives core on Memel.
- Sun Tzu Reborn achievement is now possible to achieve (requires level 9 Field Marshal).
- Communist Byzantium now has the correct flag.
- "Expand the Imperial Guards"-spawned troops for MAN are no longer locked
- Industrial Land Appropriation no longer repeatable for the same state.
- Fixed date requirements for AI values for Ichi Go and Test the Soviets decisions (AI was not prevented from taking these before certain dates).
- Reworked Anschluss bypass conditions.
- Fixed correct state for "Ostwall" forts.
- Fixed art for Japanese Last Stand command power ability.
- "Support the Anti-Fascist War" and "Guns for the Anti-Fascist War" decisions are now targeted decisions.
- Adjusted Polish and German provinces and states to make historical German WW1 borders possible, as well as adding Oder-Neisse line.
- Adjusted Vojvodina and Serbia states to make Austro-Hungarian borders more historical.
- Renamed "Alsace" to "Alsace-Lorraine", and "Lorraine" to "Franche-Comte"
- Added 1x BB tech bonus to French focus "Capital Ship Focus" to bring it in line with "Carrier Focus".
- ai strategy databases are reloadable now
- enabled Japanese equipment names for Manchukuo
- fixed a few naming issues in German name list
- A nationalist China losing a power struggle will now get a cosmetic tag to distinguish it from new nationalist China. If a warlord who has previously taken over nationalists loses a power struggle, they will lose their cosmetic tag. This should fix the 3 China issue.
- changed flavor name of a Manchukuo rifle after two hour discussion of Manchurian small arms development
- added Paul von Lettow-Vorbeck as a general to Imperial Germany
- Updated 'The People Have Stood Up' achievement to better fit description in steam.
- Updated 'My Ships Don't Lie' achievement to fit description in steam.
- Fixed a duplicate name of a German destroyer
- Fixed a few naming inconsitencies in French Division Namelists and Added new Namelist for late-war French Armored Divisions
- Elsass-Lothringen and victory points now renamed back to their French counterparts of France wins the war and retakes it.
- Several text translations has been added and improved.
- Fixed some inconsistencies in name lists for French-speaking countries.
- Renamed Communist Roman Empire to Communitas Proletariique Romani.
- Removed Zhang Lan as Nationalist Chinese Democratic leader due to previous communist committments (replaced with Weng Wenhao)
- Soviet volunteer group and flying tiger focuses now bypass if someone else has already completed that focus to avoid doubles.

# Balance
- Whampoa College National Focus now also adds 1 planning point to existing leaders as well as new ones
- Starting land doctrine techs now have normal tech base costs (so now at 50% of before)
- Slightly rebalanced chance of French intervention resulting from Return of the Kaiser.
- Production bonus can go negative now and slow down your equipment production
- Generals gains less XP as combats drag on (down to 10% in a month)
- Generals gains more XP if they are dealing more damage compared to enemies (up to 4x while you are doing 4x damage compared to enemy)
- added an option to Chinese provocation event that allows Japan to withdraw from the continent
- Winter War peace treaty no longer hands over Petsamo (SOV will have to get that the hard way)
- Neutral ideology is now allowed for puppets.
- Halved the extra wounding chance on the reckless trait
- Cautious trait now reduces chance to get wounded (making it the polar opposite of reckless).
- Changed mobilization impact from positive war support to 30 % (up from 3%)
- japanese ideology advisors are now only locked behind focuses for Waking the Tiger DLC owners
- Reworked the Assertiveness Branch of the Manchukuo Tree:
- added a decision unlocked from taking control of the railroads that gives 4 CIV factories over the course of a year
- removed factories from legislative council, purge general affairs and control the railroads
- purge the general affairs council now removes Kwantung veto
- bolster nationalism now allows recruiting bandits. if bandits are still active in the country, taking these decisions removes the spirit
- added a decision to local arms procurement that adds an idea giving dramatically reduced cost for small arms at the cost of reduced reliability
- removed autonomy gain from Assertiveness focus (made no sense)
- added a decision to five people armies allowing the raising (and disbanding) of Manchu Banners, represented by 5 large infantry divisions
- added a decision to the purge general affairs council allowing player to pay command power to seize Japanese army depots in the case of war, giving increasingly large injections of equipment into stockpile and corresponding attack and defense penalties to Japan for a limited time
- reduced the impact of bolster nationalism spirit
- "Changed Command Power cost for Communist China's Infiltration decisions (-0.01 => -0.2) and the Nationalist/Japanese counter (-0.05 => -0.1).
- Increased command power cost (-0.02 => -0.2) for gaining army support in preparation for a civil war. Old values were not rebalanced properly after major system rework."
- Added surrender limit penalty when at low war support. Scales from 0 to -30%.
- Reduced air superiority stat of strategic bombers.(1 => 0.01)
- Increased heavy fighters air superiority (1 => 1.25), so they are better at something that isn't shooting bombers...
- Lowered impact on speed due to enemy air superiority (-0.5 => -0.3).
- Lowered impact on defense due to enemy air superiority (-0.5 => -0.35).
- Changed cap of "Air support" modifier from CAS assisting land unit in combat from 21% to 35%.
- Division anti air reduces damage to the division caused by close air support attacks, in proportion to the AA's ability to shoot down planes.
- Corrected AA damage reduction tooltip to show numbers in red.
- Reduced factory output penalty from long march spirit for PRC (now -15%/-5%, down from -25%/-10%).
- Changed penalty from Chinese idea Illegal Regime (-0.35 => -0.2)
- Last 3 radar techs now increase aim of static AA guns by 20% each.
- Each intermediary AA tech now adds 8% damage reduction from enemy bombers.
- Each AA equipment unlock now increases static AA damage output by 10%.
- Air bases now take 50% less damage from bombing.
- Reduced negative production modifier for Canada and Australia's version of the great depression (for TfV owners).
- The German War Economy Focus now requires 50% war support.
- MEFO bills base cost reduced by 0.05 PP, added -5% Consumer Goods, and increased build speed bonuses to 25%.
- Rebalanced Nationalist Chinese Focuses: Welfare Focuses now give 10 War Support (up from 5), Democracy Focuses that gave stability or War Support have been increased to give 10 instead of 5, added a military factory each to expanding the Taiyuan and Hanyan Arsenals.
- Balanced temperatures for commando trait to < -15 or > 27.
- Chinese Scorched Earth Tactics and Industrial Evacuation Focuses reduced to 35 days.
- Made MEFO PP cost now be substracted -after- modifiers to PP are applied, resulting in a more logical tooltip, and a net PP increase for the player compared to how it was before.

# Bugfix
- Improved Spanish translations.
- Took map wrap-around line in the Pacific into account when computing a state's center point, correcting East Siberia's center from its previous position in the Norwegian Sea.
- Stopped the Focus.IgnorePrerequisites cheat from being used in an ironman game by first turning it on in a normal game.
- Prevented various exploit methods which could pull divisions out of naval transfer convoy combat by cancelling or changing division orders.
- Fixed incorrect default of convoy efficiency when writing persistent data, which had a small chance of causing out-of-syncs.
- Fixed daily change in party popularity being inaccurate.
- Changing of ruling party to unaligned now cancel all boost party popularity
- Naval combat report will now only appear if any damage has been dealt
- Fixed naval combat report not mentioning some losses when merging with older ones in the same province
- Fixed planes shot by carrier fighters not showing in the strategic air view.
- Fixed port strikes with no participating planes
- Fixed planes shot by carrier fighters not showing in the strategic air view.
- Air permission can no longer be obtained from both side of a war and observe similar restrictions as land volunteer.
- Added nb used convoys and nb free convoys to the checksum for OOS detection
- German historical DLC now properly enabled all picture replacements for events
- Fixed a loading order issue that could mess up some triggers for ideas on starting the game
- Japanese surrender events for MAN/CHI no longer incorrectly mentions transferring Korea to MAN/CHI control.
- Return of the Kaiser event when rescuing him through war now triggers upon control of Holland state; previously triggered from capitulation which could bug out if Holland was not in a faction when it surrendered.
- MEFO bills are no longer removed if Anschluss is rushed before the bills are extended a second time.
- Drastically increased the WT generation required for UK to want to kick Imperial Germany out of its faction when having taken the "Alliance with the Shade" focus. Germany now needs to have created 81% more WT than the faction average, up from 34%.
- "Support Anti-Fascist War" decision for USA now correctly removes off-map factories again after the duration ends.
- Fixed some possible problems with text save games while writing arrays
- Fixed a crash after user directory is cleared using the launcher while there are enabled mods in it
- Fixed research all cheat not working for some of the researches
- Fixed a bunch of typos
- Added localization for 'send attaché' action in diplomacy tab/country list screen
- Fixed UI scale glitches with equipment stockpile line graphs
- added a bypass for Build up manchurian army focus in japanese focus tree
- added a bypass for Communist Chinese focus if low_popular support spirit is not present
- fixed critical spelling error in bombing damage modifier tooltip
- fix for unlocalised bypass requirement in Soviet Advisers focus
- the opinion bonus from Italian befriend Japan focus is now correctly applied to Japan
- integrate the warlord army decision now transfers any generals and only creates leaders if the target has not taken personal leadership focus
- Fixed general selection menu stating that Field Marshal can "command 5 armies" when it should be "24 division".
- Fixed tooltip for how many divisions a corps commander can control showing up when trying to assign a Field Marshal.
- Fixed invalid equipment bonus for PRC_peoples_war, PRC_maoism, CZE_naval_focus and bofors.
- Ichi go spirit targeted modifier now works against all the Chinese nations.
- Added attache relation gfx for diplomacy view
- Command power cost on abilities now displays 2 decimals.
- Fixed tooltip for integrate warlord decisions using a flag with wrong localisation.
- Fixed integrate warlord decisions effect running immediately instead of after 90days.
- Re-added localisation for custom tooltips in Chinese Industry Relocation decisions.
- Removed auto call for faction members when a country is the target of war declaration.
- Navies on convoy escort missions now try to help allies if there are no friendly convoys to help.
- Fixed 'org loss while moving' leader modifier not being applied
- Volunteers sent to a countries which became enemies, will now be sent back home (so your divisions don't fight on both sides of the conflict).
- Fixed yet another grammatical issue in texts about the attaches.
- XP is now awarded in the case of unit being destroyed with nowhere to run and for overruns it is awarded to units both in current and in destination province if enemies.
- Fixed bug where a cavalry 3d models didn't get a proper winter camo
- Fixed volunteers not properly being sent back to their rightful owner.
- Corrected British division namelist to use brackets instead of apostrophes.
- Changed scavenger trait to additive modifier
- Fixed a broken bypass in Japanese Liberate Manchuria focus.
- Changed completion trigger for 'Fuhrer directive 21' mission to include allies controlling the required states.
- Added scripted trigger for a state being controlled by ROOT country or an ally to them.
- Fixed Austria-Hungary being formed multiple times as a result of ""Rekindle Imperial Sentiment"" focus.
- Fixed Austria-Hungary news event referring to ""Austria-Hungary taking the lead"". Now correctly refers to country's old tag.
- Re-Forming Austria_Hungary now flips government to Unaligned and makes Otto von Habsburg country leader.
- Hungary can now choose ""Tade Deal with Germany"" focus with non-Fascist Germany.
- ""Break the Anglo-French Colonial Hegemony"" focus now also correctly gives claims on Palau, Papua, and Samoa.
- ""Reinstate Imperial Possessions"" and ""Reintegrate Luxemburg and Alsace-Lorraine"" focuses are now also available if France is puppeted or if Germany owns Alsace-Lorraine.
- ""Reinstate Imperial Possessions"" and ""Reintegrate Luxemburg and Alsace-Lorraine"" focuses now rename Alsace-Lorraine to Elsass-Lothringen, Strasbourg to Strassburg, and Mulhouse to Mulhausen.
- Greater Hungary can no longer be formed if Austria-Hungary was formed via the ""Rekindle Imperial Sentiment""-spawned decision.
- Fixed panzer_leader trait not gaining xp if a non-armor unit was participating in the combat. Now it gains xp if more than 40% of the army under the leader control's is armored at the time of the combat.
- Reworked the AI's pathfinding algorithms, so it should now take more reasonable routes, when it comes to combinations of land and naval transportations.
- The battle plan window is now hidden in naval and air map mode.
- Fixed drag and drop causing 'new army' portrait to ignore clicks
- Added temporary penalty for assigning airplanes to a new region or receiving reinforcements.
- It's no longer possible to capture naval/air equipment when it gets destroyed in land combat.
- More fixes in the texts translations.
- Fixed a wrong tooltip in Manchukuo Five People Armies focus.
- Fixed two wrong cavalry division names in British name lists.
- "Danzig for Guarantees" now renames Poznan to Posen, if accepted.
- Added bypasses for "Align Hungary" and "Align Romania" focuses, if they are in Germany's faction.
- "Reinstate Imperial Possessions" and "Reintegrate Luxemburg and Alsace-Lorraine" now also transfer Alsace-Lorraine to Germany.
- Nuking now uses the highest VP in the state when calculating war support penalty instead of specific province nuked. Multiplier from infrastructure is now calculated before they are destroyed.
- Drawing defensive orders now takes army groups into account when counting divisions, so it displays the correct number of divisions that will be assigned.
- Fixed tooltip of panzer_leader trait for the xp gain.
- Fixed cancel_trigger for timed decisions not removing, but instead executing remove_effect if the mission was completed.
- Fixed guaranteeing nations not being auto-called into war when neither the guaranteeing country nor the attacking country are in factions.
- Yalta Conference event now should allocate correct states to DDR and Poland.
- MEFO bills now gives a 20% construction speed bonus to military factories, dockyards, forts and coastal forts, air and naval bases, AA buildings, and Radar stations, instead of -20% consumer goods.
- MEFO bills now renew every 180 days instead of every 90 days.
- MEFO bills - Slightly increased the base political power cost and the political power cost ramp-up.
- Unaligned Germany now loses MEFO bills when the German civil war begins (but is not required to pay for them). MEFO bills and mission are now transferred to the Nazi side of the civil war.
- Unaligned/Democratic Germany now gets a temporary "Rebuild the Nation" National Spirit that gives -20% consumer goods bonus for 365 days, when completing the "Rebuild the Nation" national focus.
- "Rebuild the Nation" national focus now takes 70 days to complete, up from 35 days.
- Previous "Rebuild the Nation" national spirit has now been renamed to "National Revitalization".
- Fix issue where scripted events that try to add countries to a civil war were silently doing nothing if world tension is too low. The world tension check should not automatically apply to scripted events; the country should just be directly added to the war, which is now once again the case.
- Fixed nuke events referencing the wrong states/leaders.
- Fixed a spelling error in a tooltip for Attaches.
- Fixed navy leaders not gaining xp.
- Fixed a news event referencing a Hungarian king that didn't necessarily exist.
- Added an appropriate Apostrophe to King's Own Cavalry division.
- Warlords that have inherited the Incompetent Officer national spirit from Nationalist China can now take the decision to get rid of it.
- The Japanese kodoha national focus path will now only invite Japan to the axis once.
- Countries on the winning side of a war but occupied by a different faction can no longer be marked as untouched, allowing them to be annexed or puppeted by the occupiers even if the actual enemies never did any damage to them.
- Unit leaders go into cooldown when you disband the army now.
- Capped minimum supply consumption to 0.05, so it's no longer possible to get it negative and suffer huge penalties.
- Forced countries entering into a dependency relation to cancel any war relation they have between them.
- Fixed the Call Ally diplomatic action to have the recipient join the correct war.
- Clarified Treaty with USSR" requiring "Anti-Soviet Pact" to not have been taken.
- Army group orders now does not mention number of unit information in them.
- Made the call ally tooltip properly indicate when a civil war is not joinable by an ally due to low world tension, just as it already does for the other country if they want to initiate a join war action.
- Call to war and join war actions in the diplomacy screen no longer show every individual war relation in the list of wars, but just the primary one.
- Allowed a country to be invited into peace conferences even if some of their faction allies are at war with the winners of the war, as long as the country being invited is at peace with all the winners and at war with the losers.
- Fixed a bug that caused a navy leaders not gaining experience.
- Fixed killing encircled units not giving intended amount of flat experience gain.
- 3d model viewer > Camera moves a bit towards up when you zoom into the model.
- 3d model viewer > multiple technology views being open at the same time, are no longer showing the same model.
- 3d model viewer > Fixed unit models shown on map, not being updated for allies when you select a custom model
- 3d model viewer > Several other improvements.
- 3d model viewer > Reduced min zoom levels for 3d model viewer.
- 3d model viewer > Non infantry equipments does not use fallback infantry models in tech window anymore.
- Fixed drag and drop for armies in the same army group.
- Fixed bug in a war relations being broken after loading a save.
- Fixed war members calculation that incorrectly excluded friends in a war due to not being in the main faction, which could incorrectly lead to premature capitulations.
- Fixed Dispersed Industry IV translation.

# Stability & Performance
- Fixed small memory leak.
- Fixed uninitialized variable in graphical settings, which in theory could cause an undefined game behaviour.
- Fixed CTD when loading a savegames which was related to the air wings.
- Fixed OOS caused by "local resistance" data not being properly cleared.
- Improved initial loading time a bit. The naval distance calculations are much faster, and is done only once (or whenever a game changes has been detected that could affect the naval distance calcluations). At every next game start, the loading process skips the naval distance calculations by just loading the cached data.
- Fixed peace conference behavior and crash in the case that one or more of the winners have been occupied by a different winning faction.
- Fixed SS recruitment crashing the game under very specific circumstances.
- Fixed CTD when asking a lend lease to some AI countries within the first day of the game.
- Puppets surrender with their overlords and any other majors even if they have been in the war for fewer days than normally required to surrender. This fixes a crash elsewhere when transferring the puppet in a peace conference.
- Attempt to gracefully skip over opponents who are no longer at war with each other when cleaning up war relations at the conclusion of a peace conference. This avoids crashes when multiple peace conferences get initiated and completed simultaneously, especially due to scripted white peace events.
- Ensured all buildings in the newly-changed Polish and German states are present in those states, to avoid crashes.
- Fixed CTD on create_unit effect with invalid template name. Now shows an error instead.
- Mod files created through the launcher tool, are now UTF8-BOM to avoid errors when using the file later.
If you want to read more see the last couple of diaries for highlights :)

What are we doing now
We are now beginning work on the next expansion and the next big update 1.6 'Ironclad'. Its too early to share any details or hints what they will be about tho so go mad with speculation based on the name ;)(madagascar focus tree? wut!? o_O... well out patch names seldom tell you much). Below is an update on our long term roadmap though which might give some ideas. or not.

The five year plan

As I said last time we did this, its not actually a five year plan, but I want to share with you some form of roadmap on what to expect in the future as well as follow up what we have been up to. The list below was posted when we started on Waking the Tiger and 1.5, so stuff that is crossed off we now consider handled.

Just to be super clear, this is not any form of exhaustive or final list and unless we have already done it we can't promise anythings. Priorities change etc. The point of this is to give you an idea of things we would like to do. The order of things is also not in any kind of priority order, or order we would do them.

• Improve flavor and immersion with naming of things in the game. No more Infantry Division Type 1 etc.
  • A Chain of Command system allowing field marshals to command generals
  • Every starting nation has a custom portrait for historical leaders
  • A way for players to take dynamic decisions, quickly. Something that fits between events and national focuses.
  • Changing National Unity to something that matters during most of the game rather than when you are losing only
  • Rework how wars work with respect to merging etc as its a big source of problems
  • Add the ability to clean up your equipment stockpile from old stuff
  • Allow greater access to resources through improving infrastructure
  • More player control over naval warfare and fleet battle behaviour
  • A logistics system with more actual player involvement (now you only care once stuff has gone very badly)
  • Improved naval combat interfaces with good transparency to underlying mechanics (give it the 1.4 air treatment)
  • Improve balance, feedback and mechanics for submarine warfare
  • Long term goals and strategies to guide ai rather than random vs historical focus lists, visible to players
  • Spies and espionage
  • Improving peace conferences
  • Update core national focus trees with alt-history paths and more options (Germany, Italy, USA, United Kingdom, Soviet, France, Japan, Poland)
  • Wunderwaffen projects
  • Properly represent fuel in some way in the game
  • More differences between sub-ideologies and government forms
  • More National Focus trees. (Among most interesting: China, South America, Scandinavia, Spain, Turkey, Iran, Greece)
  • An occupation system that isnt tied only to wars and where core vs non-core isn't so binary for access to things.
  • Make defensive warfare more fun
  • Adding mechanics to limit the size of your standing army, particularly post-war etc
  • Have doctrines more strongly affect division designing to get away from cookie cutter solutions and too ahistorical gamey setups
Also some new ones since last time:
  • More player control over rules. HOI is played in many different ways and say competitive MP and single player rulesets often clash
  • More usage of drag and drop and QoL like this. For example controlling template lists.
  • A more robust and expansive mapmode system. Having a player mapmode in MP would be helpful etc

You'll notice that some of these are small and some of them are huge. I can't really talk too much details about this stuff though. That is stuff we will do once/if it makes it to dev diaries with feature highlights and has been implemented.

We will now start work on the next unannounced expansion and 1.6 'Ironclad' so there will be a longer break in dev diaries. I can promise an update around PdxCon on how things are going :)

Hey, dunno if somebody already brought this up or not - but could it be also possible to adjust the borders of Georgia, Armenia and Azerbajian - as well as to add a seperate Przemysl state, to be able to make the historical partition of Poland, made by USSR and 3rd Reich?

Other than that, I'd like to ask for South Jutland state, to be able to recreate the German Empire border with Denmark - please consider doing those, if that's not too much

Besides that, excellent work, I am really impressed and happy to see all of those changes!

I agree. Also if you can split up Kashmir to resemble the modern tripartite conflict there it would be really nice.

Will there be an increase in the tag limit? since you are working on adding many new tags I was wondering if it is possible to increase the tag limit? it will be a great help for mods out there which add many new nations and it causes them problems when they exceed the tag limit.

Americas (Caribbean)

This region did not see any map changes. However, I added a total of 9 tags to the region:
  • Belize
  • Jamaica
  • Bahamas
  • Puerto Rico
  • Guadeloupe
  • Trinidad & Tobago (for convenience also including the British windward & leeward islands)
  • Guyana
  • Suriname
  • Curacao

Can't French Guiana be made a tag too, maybe under the name 'Guiana'?

It historically hasn't become independent yet, but it would make sense to be able to become independent one day, like the other Guyanas.

really are you putting all your effort in releasing each possible shitty state of the world? i mean.. "maybe" eg desync problems have more priority? is only an example, i think there could be hundreds of problems higher in priority
Did you read the bit where this was done by a content designer and a lot in his PERSONAL TIME as well? Content designers done't fix dysncs.

Status
Not open for further replies.