HOI4 Dev Diary - 5th Anniversary

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Well, I guess celebrating the 5th anniversary of a game raises some different expectations. As a customer, I would expect a small sale for a short period for old stuff, maybe some fun videos made by the devs cheering or showcasing stuff. They did well with including Tom Moore - such easter-eggs are gladly received by the fans. Rolling out a patch is nice as well as removing bugs is always appreciated. But then using the whole stuff as excuse for just sales event - this ruins everything done well in that regard. Steam forum already is...well, I would suggest using a hazmat-suit before entering it. I wanted to celebrate and they wanted me to buy stuff instead...we are not reaching the smallest denominator here I am afraid - at least not for me and some other folk as well as it seems. Bad timing. Really bad timing. I mean...this somehow feels like being invited to a birthday party and then being there having to attend to a Tupperware party with the person inviting me as host not wanting to celebrate but sell me some stuff. In real life I would not go to another birthday party of that person for the time being. Just a metaphor but this is how I feel. The content itself is decent and I probably will add it to my collection of DLCs. I was just puzzled.

Do not get me wrong: I am totally fine with paying for stuff somebody worked for - they could just have picked a different time.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions:
@podcat ; I always appreciate the updates/fixes to the base game and DLCs.

Would you please explain (again) to the lay people here on why it is not as simple (like a new/updated portrait) as slipping in a fix/update into the game as an x.xx.xx update? Maybe explain some of the steps you must go through that non-industry people might not understand.

Thanks.

Reactions:
Bugfixes are the salt of the earth, thank you :D

Turkey should now join the allies in late 1943 or early 1944
This is a bit of a disappointment, I would have preferred:

Turkey should now join the allies in late 1944 or early 1945

Turkey joining the allies earlier than actually happened (Turkey declared war on Axis powers in February 1945) also creates balance problems if you play an Axis minor (at least in my experience), because in '43 the 'AI Germany is still fighting against Russia and generally unable to react, leaving the Balkans open to invasion.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Your points are good and all, but could you please tone down your use of emojis a bit?

It :) becomes ;) just :D so much :eek: more o_O readable :cool: without :p an emoji :mad: every :) few :rolleyes: words :D.

Thanks.

Sorry about that - when I'm tired, I tend to over-emoji (and this week's been a bit brutal). In the spirit of supply being covered off in the upcoming patch/DLC (I can't remember which) I'll try to enforce an emoji rationing regime from now on :).

• 1Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Eastern Front Planes Pack
Various planes of different types for Germany, Soviet, Poland, Hungary, Romania and Yugoslavia. 54 planes in total!

A shame the Finnish Air Force got nothing in this pack. After all, it was arguably the third most important air force active on the Eastern Front, with ~70,000 sorties flown, ~2,000 enemy aircraft destroyed and 3,452 tonnes of bombs dropped during 1939-45, producing 96 aces.

AI no longer deletes their whole naval production queue of old ships at game start

Now that this is fixed, any chance the remainder of the missing ships that were under construction or undergoing a refit on 1.1.1936 could be added to the appropriate construction queues in the 1936 scenario?

EDIT: Nevermind, it is not fixed.

Last edited:
  • 5Like
Reactions:
BTW, it is actually Bf 110, not Me 110.
It wasn't until later that "Me" was adopted for the late war-designed plane.
BF stands for Bayerische Flugzeugwerke.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Podcast did not say that, it only said that they changed the priorities after the Italian rework and that it would focus on smaller DLCs to increase the cadence of its own flavor towards medium or small nations but never said that they would rule out large DLCs but surely they would not be the most common but another type resources and we remember that there are still many mechanics reworked in a deep way
Thanks, ya I wasn't sure of the specifics of what he said as I only read it once but I remember him clarifying DLC's would be smaller and closer together. Which I don't have an issue with. A few more mechanics to touch on but I think some resources have been shifted to Victoria III as HOI IV is at its maturity stage.

Reactions:
Gracias, ya no estaba seguro de los detalles de lo que dijo, ya que solo lo leí una vez, pero recuerdo que aclarar que los DLC serían más pequeños y más cercanos entre sí. Cuál no tengo un asunto con. Algunas mecánicas más para tocar, pero creo que algunos recursos se han trasladado a Victoria III, ya que HOI IV está en su etapa de madurez.
I do not believe HOI IV has entered the age of maturity but it is a product that has a long life ahead of it, it may be temporarily some members of HOI IV have been transferred to work Vic III until, but I believe the vast majority will be the people of Imperator recently canceled, but I am convinced we will see great dlcs again but they are not obliged to release them every year but when it is appropriate to release it in the meantime I think they can release a couple of country packs per year

• 1Like
Reactions:
  • Added Portuguese unit voice-over for La Résistance owners!

Who made these sounds? The voice sounds like a voice of a teenager, not a soldier. :p

Still, always nice that you kept reminding about Portugal and added models after the DLC launched and now even voices for the units. A bit late, but better later than never.

• 1Like
Reactions:
@podcat ; I always appreciate the updates/fixes to the base game and DLCs.

Would you please explain (again) to the lay people here on why it is not as simple (like a new/updated portrait) as slipping in a fix/update into the game as an x.xx.xx update? Maybe explain some of the steps you must go through that non-industry people might not understand.

Thanks.
Well @podcat, I would have been very happy with an explanation. You needn't have gone through a full scale release/crash example exercise on my account... :oops:

Maybe this will serve as an example to the members here why in software development, nothing is really simple... ;)

Reactions:
This is a bit of a disappointment, I would have preferred:

To add insult to injury, in real history the Turkish declaration of war was nothing but diplomatic dogpiling on Germany for political purposes when it became apparent that Germany's capitulation was imminent; they didn't actually fight in the war, and never intended to. Many other countries also did this, most notably in Latin America.

Turkey joining the Allies in 1943-44 no matter what Germany's condition is, will be a strong deviation from realism and completely misses the point of why they joined IRL.

Last edited:
Reactions:
To add insult to injury, in real history the Turkish declaration of war was nothing but diplomatic dogpiling on Germany for political purposes when it became apparent that Germany's capitulation was imminent; they didn't actually fight in the war, and never intended to. Many other countries also did this, most notably in Latin America.

Turkey joining the Allies in 1943-44 no matter what Germany's condition will be a strong deviation from realism and completely misses the point of why they joined IRL.
Realism would be something like a combination of diplomatic pressure from one faction, with the faction leader of the other a certain percentage toward capitulation.

That's way harder to code, though, especially since there are at least three factions to consider.

Realism would be something like a combination of diplomatic pressure from one faction, with the faction leader of the other a certain percentage toward capitulation.

That's way harder to code, though, especially since there are at least three factions to consider.
I doubt there was much pressure for Turkey to join in 1945, I'm sure they only did it to get favours with the allies. Unfortunately, the AI handles every war like a total war and will rush units into combat instead of sitting back. Kinda felt sorry when my submarines wiped out 10% of Panama's population while they were sailling for Africa.

Turkey joining the Allies in 1943-44 no matter what Germany's condition is, will be a strong deviation from realism and completely misses the point of why they joined IRL.
Maybe all the PDX developers needed was to address the "common" impression of Turkey joining the war, not the historically accurate version.