HOI4 Dev Diary - 1.4 "Oak" Changlog sneak peek

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Nice change to the peace conference and claiming not occupied territory.

Most games it feels like USSR AI d**ks over my plans with weird claims.

I'd like to see the conference ui redesigned and the point accumulation Reba rebalanced.

Despite having way more occupation and deaths, the USSR somehow had almost as many points from their war once the conference merged the results. Pretty annoying to have done 90% of the work to have some other country come in and gather almost as much as me.

Nice change to the peace conference and claiming not occupied territory.

Most games it feels like USSR AI d**ks over my plans with weird claims.

I'd like to see the conference ui redesigned and the point accumulation Reba rebalanced.

Despite having way more occupation and deaths, the USSR somehow had almost as many points from their war once the conference merged the results. Pretty annoying to have done 90% of the work to have some other country come in and gather almost as much as me.
I think I read the bombing portion of the conference score was unbalanced compared to the rest of the warscore factors.

So the last line of the Balance section of the changelog should help...
- Bombing warscore now worth less on your participation

Yup. The role that would have included motorized as primary batallion was just not working for the AI, so it had to be cut for now. The AI is performing better without it as it stands now (though some modders with time on their hands might be able to make it work :))

The ai creating hordes of useless motorized divisions it could not equip, use, or supply (looking at you Japan) will NOT be missed. Good call. Would rather see trucks go to armor divisions and the saved rubber go to planes and tanks.

I think I read the bombing portion of the conference score was unbalanced compared to the rest of the warscore factors.

I remember playing a game as New Zealand, where I only built tactical bombers, but used them on strategic bombing missions, and racked up a ridiculous amount of war contribution, enough so that at the peace conference with Japan, NZ had enough to take every single island that was Japanese, except for the Home Islands.

- Made suicide planes their own archetype

The Ohka flies again (hopefully without generating aces :rolleyes:)

- Added Takuo Godo war industrialist advisor for Japan

Thank you! Big help to get Japanese industry moving.

- Bumped Walter Model to skill 2 field marshal with defensive traits

Long live the Monocle! Good fix, Hitler's Fireman deserves the boost and traits.

- Added silly king renaming cities events instead of fixing the AI

:p Ok, the forum deserved that one.

- Added Aluminium to Asia

:cool: Snoopy Happy Dance! 79 aluminum up for grabs in Asia means Japan can actually afford to build carrier planes.

- Blocked Sudetenland focus for Germany if Germany is in a faction with CZE and together in a war

Saw a lot of changes like this. Looks like someone was working on the focus trees to add in exceptions for what ifs. Thank you!

- CAS, fighters and tac bombers now have a stat progression for naval_strike_attack instead of the same for all models.

This could be major depending on what the values are. 1936 CAS might not be ship killers and TAC might become more of an option for some majors (Japan, Italy, USA)

- Rebalanced damage scaling in air combat to avoid most of the wierdnesses. more planes generally more deaths etc, also less damage in the really bloody defend/intercept scenarios

- Increased advantage of numerical superiority in air combat. 1000v100 test get around 30% bonus for big side rather than < 10%

- Now possible to disrupt all incoming bombers/CAS if you have enough fighters in air combat

Some serious changes in air combat here. The CAS meta may be dead.

- Prince of terror trait now gets +2% more recruitment from non-core territory

SS recruitment offices are now open. Choosing a PoT now really helpful for a WC run as Italy or Japan, as well as giving a lot of minors a manpower boost when they go a conquering.

- Tweaked equipment deficiencies and some factory setups for china and japan in 1936 to balance later war
- Tweaked japanese/chinese tempaltes to slow down the war

The ai 2nd Sino-Japanese war now looks to be a grind

- The amount of spawned milita divisions in Spanish Civil War are now more and positioned better to draw out conflict
- Spanish civil war equipment levels tweaked for longer conflict
- Tweaked SCW participant NU levels

This ought to be interesting. Would be nice to see the Republicans stop folding like a wet paper sack.

- Bombing warscore now worth less on your participation

- Its now 10x more expensive to take territory occupied by another faction in a peace deal (e.g allies taking stuff commintern occupies)

Oh thank you thank you thank you! Hopefully we will now see some sanity in peace conferences.

Hoping that the naval invasions that I still see when I run AI vs AI games will be reduced.

There were only five major naval invasions:

Weserubung - 1940
Torch - 1942
Husky (and Avalanche) - 1943
Overlord - 1944
Dragoon - 1944

I'd be nice to play a game where the allies don't launch a massive naval invasion of Germany or especially Italy in 1939

Hoping that the naval invasions that I still see when I run AI vs AI games will be reduced.

There were only five major naval invasions:

Weserubung - 1940
Torch - 1942
Husky (and Avalanche) - 1943
Overlord - 1944
Dragoon - 1944

I'd be nice to play a game where the allies don't launch a massive naval invasion of Germany or especially Italy in 1939

There were a few major operations in the Pacific also. Not an easy fix without screwing the early Pacific theater even more.

Code:
- Added possibility to hide parts of the focus tree with a trigger. allow_branch = { <trigger> }.
- Added ability to reposition national focus based on trigger.

Interesting...

Is that going to be used in the current game or is it only for modders? How is it going to work exactly? Can we get an example?

Such a massive patch log. Love it! Can't wait to play it! Good work :)

Everything bellow the Free & Important section will be available to everybody? I.e. all the AI changes and fixes will be available for everybody?

The AI fixes make me think it's about time for a couple of achievement playthroughs, just to see how well vanilla feels like. Bring it on!

But I'm really curious how this will impact 3 of my favourite overhaul mods. So many things to do, only 24 hours in a day... #1stworldproblems

Everything bellow the Free & Important section will be available to everybody? I.e. all the AI changes and fixes will be available for everybody?

The AI fixes make me think it's about time for a couple of achievement playthroughs, just to see how well vanilla feels like. Bring it on!

But I'm really curious how this will impact 3 of my favourite overhaul mods. So many things to do, only 24 hours in a day... #1stworldproblems

Everything in the patch is free to all. You only have to pay for DLC content. And judging from the patch changes they might not transfer well to old saves.

Mods are going to have to adapt to the new changes in modes and templates without a doubt. There will be some lag before the big mods are compatible.

Any chance we could get some fixes for Chinese events in one of the hotfixes following 1.4?

I've got a few fixes/changes I'd like to see.

1. Sinkiang's event to join the chinese united front is nearly always preceded by them joining the Comintern. They basically never join the United front via the event unless you specifically play the USSR and reject their faction join requests.
2. PRC doesn't influence comintern in Nationalist China, so the entire communist uprising mechanic to strengthen the PRC at the expense of Nationalist China throughout the war with Japan doesn't happen. It'd be cool to see the PRC AI always set to influence Comintern on Nationalist China.
3. The USSR reconcile Japan national focus ought to automatically setup a NAP between USSR and Japan shouldn't it? It'd be a great way to give a USSR player an option to buy themselves some time on the Eastern Front and actually bother going down that bit of the Focus tree for once.

Yup. The role that would have included motorized as primary battalion was just not working for the AI, so it had to be cut for now. The AI is performing better without it as it stands now (though some modders with time on their hands might be able to make it work :))

That moment when Paradox actually has to remove features to make the AI work but really hopes modders can actually fix it.