• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Cool stuff! This looks like a pretty good patch, and I have heard a lot of conspiracy theories regarding Paradox and Eugen at GDC. ;)

http://imgur.com/a/ewdUg

5e6116694147369871eda4b177afec9ad0dce249c30070c34952716e7d639098.jpg

I start having hope after 1.3.3 and then its off to the next vacation or series of sicknesses for a couple months...and whatever GDC is, that was not even bothered to be explained. Im guessing its the conference in San Francisco that "defines gaming".

Last edited:
Any chance of adding resources for South America? It's extremely barren as it stands, especially in the rubber front

And what resources do you think SA actually produced during that time period? If you look at world rubber production SA actually contributed very little.

@podcat perhaps in order to avoid stupid AI moves into wasteland, make it super heavy in supply requirements? The idea that as a unit goes further and further into the Sahara, Outback, Mohave, etc, it gets harder and harder to keep in supply seems reasonable to me...

I am looking forward to the raft of quality of life improvements, but am worried the industry development changes will make the USSR too hard relative to Germany. We will see once there's more post patch experience.

Cool stuff! This looks like a pretty good patch, and I have heard a lot of conspiracy theories regarding Paradox and Eugen at GDC. ;)

http://imgur.com/a/ewdUg

5e6116694147369871eda4b177afec9ad0dce249c30070c34952716e7d639098.jpg

Sasha+cat+in+tinfoil+hat+cropped.jpg

I start having hope after 1.3.3 and then its off to the next vacation or series of sicknesses for a couple months...and whatever GDC is, that was not even bothered to be explained. Im guessing its the conference in San Francisco that "defines gaming".
Well, arent you a ray of sunshine?
GDC is a conference for gamedevs with lectures and such. Basically a good place to teach others or learn lessons from others.

@podcat perhaps in order to avoid stupid AI moves into wasteland, make it super heavy in supply requirements? The idea that as a unit goes further and further into the Sahara, Outback, Mohave, etc, it gets harder and harder to keep in supply seems reasonable to me...
I plan to look a bit at this stuff for 1.4 as part of the map updates i talked about

This is probably one of those things where the best way is the community coming up with a "most wanted" list thread together and if an artist has some time over they could grab from it.
Done @podcat. Hopefully someone can platypus it for visibility, and hopefully the moderators will not move it to suggestions sub-forum (as feature requests are not always the same as suggestions).

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...-wanted-features-and-requests-thread.1001047/

Thanks, sir! But, can I already play it or not?
You can if you enable the beta on Steam by following Podcat's instructions:

1. In steam right click the game in the list of games and pick Properties
2. Go to the Betas tab
3. in the drop-down select 1.3.3_beta (if it doesnt appear you might have to restart steam)
4. Close Properties. Steam should now queue up an update and will display the game in the list as Hearts of Iron IV [1.3.3_beta]
5. if all went well the last bit of the version number in launcher should display "(2dd2)" which should be the correct checksum
6. Once we go official you can just remove the beta branch and go back to main by doing this again and selecting NONE.

Do we know for sure whether or not 1.3.3 will work with a 1.3.2 save? I realize "it's not guaranteed" but am curious if anyone has tried it out.

Do we know for sure whether or not 1.3.3 will work with a 1.3.2 save? I realize "it's not guaranteed" but am curious if anyone has tried it out.
Most likely yea.

@podcat

Can you use set_state_name in an event ? I may be doing it incorrectly but under my option to rename Koninsberg to Kaliningrad I have set_province_name which works fine but set_state_name does not appear to work and gives an error in logs.
Code:
    option = { #a great idea!
        name = ktk.1.a
        ai_chance = {
            base = 80
        }
        set_province_name = { id = 6332 name = "Kaliningrad"}
        set_state_name = { id = 5 name = "Kaliningrad"}
    }

Code:
[20:12:25][effect.cpp:216]: Invalid scope type for effect set_state_name in events/kaliningrad.txt line : 26
[20:12:25][effect.cpp:225]: Invalid effect 'id' in events/kaliningrad.txt line : 26
[20:12:25][persistent.cpp:36]: Error: "Unknown effect-type: id, near line: 26
" in file: "events/kaliningrad.txt" near line: 26

Any help would be appreciated, hope I haven't made a daft mistake somewhere. :rolleyes:

Aren't gamedevs competing with each other? Are you guys learning or teaching? :D
its an interesting question actually. I think there might be some competition in some fields actually (like I suspect the battlefield guys dont share all details with the call of duty guys), but I'm not sure. I think gamers attention is more limited in finding good games rather than playing one over another because its a lot better.

There is also the fact that even if I told you all details about HOI4 was made you'd still be a bunch of years behind making a copy of it by which time we'll be ready with a bigger better etc sequel, so its quite hard to catch up to someone who doesn't somehow stumble and make a bad product.

Finally most gamedevs are not business people and just generally dont worry about sharing knowledge because they care more about making a cool game than making lots of money or worrying about what others are doing. Basically you need passion to do good stuff and stealing ideas isnt going to be something you are easily passionate about ;)

its worked for most saves I'v tried, but its not something we test in detail and gurantee :)

Any help would be appreciated, hope I haven't made a daft mistake somewhere. :rolleyes:

as the error message says it needs to be called in a state scope and doesnt take id.
try
5 = { set_state_name = "Kaliningrad" }
(but I dont remember off the top of my head if thats how you change to state scope. some modder will remember)

@podcat

Just a thought... rather than making events, would it be possible to use on_action scripts to change state names? If there's a simple way of doing it that way, I think it'd be a much more logical way of doing it.

Something like 'on_control_state' and then add your name change bit.

Make sense?

as the error message says it needs to be called in a state scope and doesnt take id.
try
5 = { set_state_name = "Kaliningrad" }
(but I dont remember off the top of my head if thats how you change to state scope. some modder will remember)

Oh bugger - knew it would be something daft! Normally is :p

Thanks for the help - haven't used a state scope before ^_^