• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I would like to have more a more event-based political system, as well as a government window in the same style as in Hearts and minds mod with ministers, press freedom etc. The thing I feel is lacking today in the political system is that you only have one party per ideology. I would like to have two parties for democratic idealogy, and one for each fascism and communism. Let events decide elections. And let democratic, fascist and communist ideologies have it`s own set of politicians.

I would like some expanded diplomacy! What`s the point of having all these foreign claim factions, if you can`t support them by making them rebell against their colonial masters? It would add to the fun war of conquest weren`t the only option to actually conquer areas, but actually do some covert stuff instead. On that note, the french areas in west africa has no foreign claims. As well as the Sudan. I think that should be remedied in a patch.

Also, focusing on Asia, do something about China`s civil war. The solution now to have to China separate from the PRC is kind of ridicoulous. Instead of having them as two different factions, can`t you have them as an active civil war that through an event actually pauses when the japanese declare war? This could perhaps be done in a focus tree?

Also, focusing on Asia, do something about China`s civil war. The solution now to have to China separate from the PRC is kind of ridicoulous. Instead of having them as two different factions, can`t you have them as an active civil war that through an event actually pauses when the japanese declare war? This could perhaps be done in a focus tree?
You can't pause a civil war; at least not with the current engine mechanics. Civil war revolters are two parts of the same country, and use the same original tag (e.g. SPR, FRA) with one using a temporary dynamic tag. This is almost certainly why CHI and PRC use separate tags - rather than both using CHI as an original tag - and the border war mechanic (which I don't really understand or see working... does it work properly? do states actually transfer?) was implemented instead.

and the border war mechanic (which I don't really understand or see working... does it work properly? do states actually transfer?)
the "Border war" event does not transfer states. "Communist uprising" events do change owner, and they randomy fire in a bordering state.

Amazing works! Thanks :)

But it is a little mistake in a Change log. You write 2 time :

"- rebalanced ai priorities for medium vs light armor so that ai doesnt get stuck thinking its making light when it isnt
- fixed a case where AI was looking at the wrong type when deciding about template upgrades and could get stuck on motorized
- AI should now show greater interest in researching excavation tech.
- Tweaked templates a bit for majors to avoid getting trapped in subpar targets"

If I may ask, what is the syntax for "set_state_name"? Is it the same as; set_province_name = { id = 6332 name = "Kaliningrad"} and if so is it in the current patch or do we have to wait until launch tomorrow ;)

Great news that the map is going to get some love - I find it so hard to see what's going when looking at busy fronts, which is the opposite of what was intended, I guess.

After Oak in the misty uncertainty future of winter we have our next big game update where we plan to focus on Asia and war-related stuff. Of course subject to change.

If that means that Japan and both Chinas gets no focus tree update until winter 2017 then .... urg ... almost a year of waiting. :( Oak has to be awsome!!! So I can can spend some time with it until the winter update ;)

But I am happy with the changes of 1.3.3. That sounds very good.

Over a mouth hiatus, blimey. Will there still be WWW during this time?
Yes. we have tried small dev diaries during times when team is workign on stuff and we dont have much to show so we'd rather wait a bit this time. We will still do WWW. Probably after we finish the current Kaiserreich we'll do Modern Day multiplayer with the whole team and then back to some classic ww2.

I'll be sharing updates on twitter and make sure they get posted on forum also. So you'll still get weekly news and teasers :)

Congratulations on 500k! Now we are on the road to a million! I have been meaning to ask, do you think its possible that by the time 1.4/DLC is released, you might get someone on the creative side of the team to write up events for various nations, just for flavor? They don't even have to do anything, gameplay wise, they would have zero effect, but I find that most nations feel the same, there is not much differentiation, and I feel this would help. Being told about some random event in the House of Saud if I am playing Saudi Arabia would definitely make it more unique. You think this is a possibility? Feels like if your art team finishes before the coders, they could spend some time doing this.
The problem with flavor events is that they interfer with gameplay a lot of the time. I think we are more likely to move in the direction of decisions etc.

@podcat @Havebeard Why do you even put add_party_popularity and set_ruling_party in the changelog if they're impossible to use for non-devs? Speaking of it, why is there such a thing as developer-only commands, anyway?

mistake on our part for these. usually its because they rely on data that doesnt exist outside debug mode. will be fixed for 1.3.3

If I may ask, what is the syntax for "set_state_name"? Is it the same as; set_province_name = { id = 6332 name = "Kaliningrad"} and if so is it in the current patch or do we have to wait until launch tomorrow ;)

yes thats the syntax. you can test it in the beta or wait until tomorrow

Last edited:
Yes. we have tried small dev diaries during times when team is workign on stuff and we dont have much to show so we'd rather wait a bit this time. We will still do WWW. Probably after we finish the current Kaiserreich we'll do Modern Day multiplayer with the whole team and then back to some classic ww2.

I'll be sharing updates on twitter and make sure they get posted on forum also. So you'll still get weekly news and teasers :)

The problem with flavor events is that they interfer with gameplay a lot of the time. I think we are more likely to move in the direction of decisions etc.

mistake on our part for these. usually its because they rely on data that doesnt exist outside debug mode

yes thats the syntax. you can test it in the beta or wait until tomorrow
Thanks for the quick response and good work on the latest patch - can't wait to hear what 1.4 has to offer already!

@podcat

Hopefully you guys will be adding new 2D art and 3D unit models in the Axis expansion, as with TfV, but will the majors also get new artwork eventually?

Last edited:
@podcat

Hopefully you guys will be adding new 2D art and 3D unit models in the Axis expansion, as with TfV, but will the majors also get new artwork eventually?
This is probably one of those things where the best way is the community coming up with a "most wanted" list thread together and if an artist has some time over they could grab from it.

mistake on our part for these. usually its because they rely on data that doesnt exist outside debug mode. will be fixed for 1.3.3
Thanks for the answer, but why isn't it possible to use these commands when the game is launched with -debug then? Or is our debug mode different from your internal one?

Congratulations and thank you for keeping such close ties with community.

I am new to the Hearts of Iron scene, a lot of my friends are hardcore HoI 3 players, but HoI 4 is amazing and mind blowing experience for me. Thank you for your work :)

Thanks for the answer, but why isn't it possible to use these commands when the game is launched with -debug then? Or is our debug mode different from your internal one?
depends, but yea the flaggign we do for commands are for special stuff. its supposed to be very rare.

Congratulations and thank you for keeping such close ties with community.

I am new to the Hearts of Iron scene, a lot of my friends are hardcore HoI 3 players, but HoI 4 is amazing and mind blowing experience for me. Thank you for your work :)

glad to hear it :)