• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
As release is almost upon us tomorrow, I want to say that I hope you will enjoy Battle for the Bosporus! Today I will be showing the changelog, mention some cool stuff we are giving out for free and also talk about an onboarding experiment we will be running soon… so lets jump in!

Changelog
################################################################
######## Update 1.10.1 "Collie" ########

####################################
# Battle for the Bosporus Country Pack
- New Focus Tree for Greece
- New Focus Tree for Turkey
- New Focus Tree for Bulgaria

# Features
- Reworked Focus Tree for Yugoslavia (Death or Dishonor)
- Reworked and tweaked the starting position for Romania (Death or Dishonor)
- added a number of new releaseable nations to the game
- The Heavy Cruiser 3d Asset Pack has been merged into the base game
- added a special infantry model with Pickelhaube for Unaligned Germany (Waking the Tiger)

##################################
# Bugfix
- Fixed a bug where Serbia was using the incorrect country colours.
- Banning Communism or Fascism should now also remove foreign communist/fascist influence national spirits.
- fixed foreign equipments not showing up under stockpiles ui
- Yugoslavia may now complete industry focuses if the owner of the province is their subject
- fixed enemy ship count now showing up in strategic region ui
- added some missing descriptions of special ship hulls (MtG only)
- Fixed some mods being erroneously removed at game start
- The external actor on the losing side of a civil war no longer get their units wiped if they were in the winner's territory as long as the civil war did not become a full blown out war
- Yugoslavia will now lose the Anti-German Military spirit if the military has already instigated a coup.
- Rocket sites will now properly delete remaining stock when captured and not crash the game further down the line
- fixed a missing national spirit icon in the French tree
- fixed some issues with AI operative assignments that was trying to make them assign same operative multiple times
- Fixed operative being stuck on rescue mission when there are no operative left to rescue
- Added a nudger generated file to the list of files to backup and remove by the Clear Cache action
- Added missing "do nothing" option to an event
- Set ROM starting ruling party to non-aligned
- Updated Institute Royal Monarchy focus to start with 65% Non-Aligned support
- Fixed a typo in wtt_events_l_english.yml for Germany Anti-Soviet Pact news pop-up
- removed Italian_generic_land_4 soldier and added Britain_generic_land_6 soldier instead.
- new hat for error dog
- added portrait to vanilla GER

# Balance
- naval supremacy is now scaled to a percentage depending on enemy intel level instead of getting reduced to 0% at low intel
- Germany can no longer annex Yugoslavia with a single focus and no input from the Yugoslavian player under certain circumstances

# Stability & Performance
- improved performance of national focus gui when there are focuses with many prerequisites or expensive allowed triggers
- Fixed OOS triggered by displaying the description of some focuses and event effects
- Improved performance of CPoliticalMinister that was evaluating decision with an ai_factor of zero
- Fixed CTD when interacting with the army portraits while merging armies
- Fixed CTD in AI code
- Added allowed trigger for ai strategy plans
- Fixed CTD related to carrier air missions
- Fixed OOS caused by localized state name
- Fixed CTD caused by effect from history trying to access the not yet initialized graphical map

# Modding
- add the modifiers navy_leader_start_level, navy_leader_start_attack_level, navy_leader_start_defense_level, navy_leader_start_maneuvering_level, navy_leader_start_coordination_level to match the sames for army_leader.
- Fixed has_dlc trigger to return false when the name of the dlc is not known
- Added support for nesting localization strings, i.e. use a localization key within another localization string, enabling strings like "Unlock $nukes$ in the $technology$ screen" where 'nukes' and 'technology' are localization keys.
- Added support for dollar signs in localization strings. Normally a dollar sign denotes the start or end of a variable. With this change "$$" will produce a single dollar sign in the resulting string.
- add_equipment_to_stockpile effect now accepts variables as producer
- added faction_leader scope change
- added custom_modifier_tooltip support for dynamic modifiers
- added add_victory_points/set_victory_points effects
- Added console command Audio.PlayEffect to play a scripted sound effect at will
- added can_be_produced trigger to equipments so they can be blocked for certain countries for production
- Added the ability to specify a variable refering to an idea for triggers and effect has_idea, add_ideas, remove_ideas, swap_ideas, add_timed_idea and modify_timed_idea
- Added support for the triggers is_enemy, is_friend and is_neutral to adjacency rules to enable script to determine which rule to use. Evaluation order is documented in adjacency_rules.txt.
- Added global.province_controllers game variable array that returns an array containing the controller for each province, where array index is mapped to province ID. For example global.province_controllers^4135 returns the controller of Gibraltar.
- Added equipment buildable trigger

# Database
- Added a series of decisions for Yugoslavia to promote a communist uprising in Bulgaria, Albania, and other Balkan nations
- Added General entry for Constantin Sanatescu
- Hooked Iraqi fascist leader into vanilla
- Added Kurdistan tag, history, and leaders

Heavy Cruiser Pack now free for all!
thumbnail.png

When we stopped selling the Colonel Edition and moved most of the cosmetics there to new armor packs instead we had nowhere to put our Heavy Cruiser pack and we figured it would just be a nice thing to give it away to everyone for this update - so thats what we did! It will now be baked in. The pack contains the following ships 3d models :
France - Algérie
USA - Baltimore
UK - Exeter
Soviet - Kirov
Japan - Mogami
German - Prinz Eugen
Italy - Trieste Class

Onboarding Experiments
Hearts of Iron is not a game known for how easy it is for new players to get into it... and that is probably not going to change ;D But we do feel like we could do a lot better job at helping new players out here. We have a lot of ideas around improving the pretty basic tutorial, more context help and helping you see changes in patches and such that we dream of doing, but much of this is still in some far away potential future. Right now though we have gotten help from our awesome experiment group at Paradox Arctic in testing some stuff on you all. Well some of you at least...

See we are doing this as a test to compare how the changes affect new players so the system will automatically enable it only for certain people next week, so do not worry if you see stuff your friends aren't or the other way around.

So what have we actually done? We have integrated little short video clips tied to alerts and such to help illustrate how to deal with them. These are also accessible from the ingame menu for browsing. Do note that this is not some full coverage of features yet, but we hope it will be enough to see if there is any impact on new player behaviors and if it works out there is a good chance we will record and add more in the future if we roll it out for everyone.

Here are some pictures of how it looks:
1602622933726.png

1602623025795.png

1602623057297.png

So see you all tomorrow for the release and for some followup diary the week after :) Oh and because you will ask. The release is aimed to go out in the afternoon tomorrow, but hey its 2020 so I don't dare give you any exact times ;D

Any reason you have not fixed the problem with ai not finish building the historical ships.. Italy and germany missing 8 battleships.. Thats a big problem.. Make this game more historical.. This is pissing me off... Fix it.. Seriusly.. And you think germany should focus subs.. No they have 5 subs 1942...
Proposed solution:
Part I: Make the AI stop scrapping ships under construction.
Part II: implement the guide to fix preset ships.

Dear devs, many of use were hoping you would add these fixes in 1.10 and are very disappointed now.

• 9Like
Reactions:
I really hope there is a way to disable the heavy cruiser pack, The french cruiser causes nasty graphics artifacts for me under Linux since man the guns.
Changed graphics card, disto and driver versions and nothing seems to fix that.
I'd submit that as a bug report if you haven't already.

Reactions:
I think that the revision of the Yugoslav tree is missing me similar approaches to the Netherlands or France to promote partisan struggle or guerrilla war that is, approaches after having capitulated that it was I believe there should be two alternatives a Serbian nationalist as historically were the Chetniks another favored Titoite communist partisans

I would also like for another dlc or package a small shared tree in the style of Chinese warlods for the Balkan countries such as Croatia, Montenegro such as road 56, Albania could also be included

So what have we actually done? We have integrated little short video clips tied to alerts and such to help illustrate how to deal with them. These are also accessible from the ingame menu for browsing. Do note that this is not some full coverage of features yet, but we hope it will be enough to see if there is any impact on new player behaviors and if it works out there is a good chance we will record and add more in the future if we roll it out for everyone.
Very nice! Still learning how to play this game so it's very appreciated!

Thanks for the free boats, and I can't wait to start a Bulgaria game when the DLC comes out.

The last region that NEEDS to be fleshed out is Scandinavia! Norway needs a national spirit/mechanics akin to the Netherlands' 'Shell-shocked spectator of the Great War,' and Finland needs *thorough* fleshing out into a proper minor power in order to withstand the Winter War in an immersive way. There's also potential to make Sweden's awkward situation in the war fun.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Cheers for the DD Podcat, and much excitement with the release just around the corner :cool: Best of luck to the team for the release - I'm still trying to work out who I'll play my first game as, choices choices :)

The release is aimed to go out in the afternoon tomorrow, but hey its 2020 so I don't dare give you any exact times ;D

Given it's 2020, I predict it will be exactly on time, but coincide with a simultaneous worldwide uprising of teams of hidden dinosaurs that have been waiting for their moment to retake the planet :eek:

So what have we actually done? We have integrated little short video clips tied to alerts and such to help illustrate how to deal with them.

Nice - this is a great step :) I'm a big fan of making things more 'explained in-game' - while the Wiki is great (where it's updated/done) and the people that maintain it deserve all the love and affection Paradox can give them, explaining the game in the game is always a better option where possible.

- naval supremacy is now scaled to a percentage depending on enemy intel level instead of getting reduced to 0% at low intel

Ooooh, interesting :) I look forward to seeing how this plays out.

- new hat for error dog

I hope that (assuming Barbarossa covers the USSR - if it doesn't, adjust as appropriate - but it wouldn't be the craziest conclusion to draw from the name) Errordawg will get one of these for 1.11 :)

1602715597003.png

- add the modifiers navy_leader_start_level, navy_leader_start_attack_level, navy_leader_start_defense_level, navy_leader_start_maneuvering_level, navy_leader_start_coordination_level to match the sames for army_leader.

Many thanks - this is super-helpful :)

- Added support for nesting localization strings, i.e. use a localization key within another localization string, enabling strings like "Unlock $nukes$ in the $technology$ screen" where 'nukes' and 'technology' are localization keys.

Ooooh - this is also super-helpful - the modding updates are always amongst my favourite parts of each patch log :)

- Added support for dollar signs in localization strings. Normally a dollar sign denotes the start or end of a variable. With this change "$$" will produce a single dollar sign in the resulting string.

And here we see Paradox caving to the almight dollar, who clearly must have been offended at not being able to go into localisation strings :p

This is very interesting - it's not really something I'd necessarily do a lot with, but the potential for interesting things is huge. Imagine with the "move factories to the Urals" NF (or whatever it is for the Soviets - going from memory, and haven't actually played them in a while) it also shifted the 'weight of Victory Points' beyond the Urals as well?

France - Algérie

Very easy to do a naval pic for this week's DD! So much choice..... Here's a shot of Algérie visiting Venice in 1935, from Jordan and Moulin's excellent French Cruisers 1922-1956

Algerie small.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions:

This is awesome! I think I even made a review, that Death Or Dishonour feels really empty looking at the spanish DLC. I am so happy you going back to older Focus trees and giving them a rework. <3 Hopefully Czechs and Hungars will get some love later too. Romania Campaign tomorrow, Hype.

• 1Like
Reactions:
As release is almost upon us tomorrow, I want to say that I hope you will enjoy Battle for the Bosporus! Today I will be showing the changelog, mention some cool stuff we are giving out for free and also talk about an onboarding experiment we will be running soon… so lets jump in!

Changelog
######## Update 1.10.1 "Collie" ########

# Battle for the Bosporus Country Pack
- New Focus Tree for Greece
- New Focus Tree for Turkey
- New Focus Tree for Bulgaria

# Features
- added a number of new releaseable nations to the game
- The Heavy Cruiser 3d Asset Pack has been merged into the base game
- added a special infantry model with Pickelhaube for Unaligned Germany (Waking the Tiger)

# Bugfix
- Fixed a bug where Serbia was using the incorrect country colours.
- Banning Communism or Fascism should now also remove foreign communist/fascist influence national spirits.
- fixed foreign equipments not showing up under stockpiles ui
- Yugoslavia may now complete industry focuses if the owner of the province is their subject
- fixed enemy ship count now showing up in strategic region ui
- added some missing descriptions of special ship hulls (MtG only)
- Fixed some mods being erroneously removed at game start
- The external actor on the losing side of a civil war no longer get their units wiped if they were in the winner's territory as long as the civil war did not become a full blown out war
- Yugoslavia will now lose the Anti-German Military spirit if the military has already instigated a coup.
- Rocket sites will now properly delete remaining stock when captured and not crash the game further down the line
- fixed a missing national spirit icon in the French tree
- fixed some issues with AI operative assignments that was trying to make them assign same operative multiple times
- Fixed operative being stuck on rescue mission when there are no operative left to rescue
- Added a nudger generated file to the list of files to backup and remove by the Clear Cache action
- Added missing "do nothing" option to an event
- Set ROM starting ruling party to non-aligned
- Updated Institute Royal Monarchy focus to start with 65% Non-Aligned support
- Fixed a typo in wtt_events_l_english.yml for Germany Anti-Soviet Pact news pop-up
- removed Italian_generic_land_4 soldier and added Britain_generic_land_6 soldier instead.
- new hat for error dog
- added portrait to vanilla GER

# Balance
- Germany can no longer annex Yugoslavia with a single focus and no input from the Yugoslavian player under certain circumstances

# Stability & Performance
- improved performance of national focus gui when there are focuses with many prerequisites or expensive allowed triggers
- Fixed OOS triggered by displaying the description of some focuses and event effects
- Improved performance of CPoliticalMinister that was evaluating decision with an ai_factor of zero
- Fixed CTD when interacting with the army portraits while merging armies
- Fixed CTD in AI code
- Added allowed trigger for ai strategy plans
- Fixed CTD related to carrier air missions
- Fixed OOS caused by localized state name
- Fixed CTD caused by effect from history trying to access the not yet initialized graphical map

# Modding
- Fixed has_dlc trigger to return false when the name of the dlc is not known
- add_equipment_to_stockpile effect now accepts variables as producer
- added faction_leader scope change
- added custom_modifier_tooltip support for dynamic modifiers
- Added console command Audio.PlayEffect to play a scripted sound effect at will
- added can_be_produced trigger to equipments so they can be blocked for certain countries for production
- Added the ability to specify a variable refering to an idea for triggers and effect has_idea, add_ideas, remove_ideas, swap_ideas, add_timed_idea and modify_timed_idea
- Added support for the triggers is_enemy, is_friend and is_neutral to adjacency rules to enable script to determine which rule to use. Evaluation order is documented in adjacency_rules.txt.
- Added global.province_controllers game variable array that returns an array containing the controller for each province, where array index is mapped to province ID. For example global.province_controllers^4135 returns the controller of Gibraltar.
- Added equipment buildable trigger

# Database
- Added a series of decisions for Yugoslavia to promote a communist uprising in Bulgaria, Albania, and other Balkan nations
- Added General entry for Constantin Sanatescu
- Hooked Iraqi fascist leader into vanilla
- Added Kurdistan tag, history, and leaders

Heavy Cruiser Pack now free for all!
View attachment 641232

When we stopped selling the Colonel Edition and moved most of the cosmetics there to new armor packs instead we had nowhere to put our Heavy Cruiser pack and we figured it would just be a nice thing to give it away to everyone for this update - so thats what we did! It will now be baked in. The pack contains the following ships 3d models :
France - Algérie
USA - Baltimore
UK - Exeter
Soviet - Kirov
Japan - Mogami
German - Prinz Eugen
Italy - Trieste Class

Onboarding Experiments
Hearts of Iron is not a game known for how easy it is for new players to get into it... and that is probably not going to change ;D But we do feel like we could do a lot better job at helping new players out here. We have a lot of ideas around improving the pretty basic tutorial, more context help and helping you see changes in patches and such that we dream of doing, but much of this is still in some far away potential future. Right now though we have gotten help from our awesome experiment group at Paradox Arctic in testing some stuff on you all. Well some of you at least...

See we are doing this as a test to compare how the changes affect new players so the system will automatically enable it only for certain people next week, so do not worry if you see stuff your friends aren't or the other way around.

Here are some pictures of how it looks:
View attachment 641238
View attachment 641239

View attachment 641240
So see you all tomorrow for the release and for some followup diary the week after :) Oh and because you will ask. The release is aimed to go out in the afternoon tomorrow, but hey its 2020 so I don't dare give you any exact times ;D

Well, that was a very underwhelming changelog....

Reactions: